Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
bclaker

Default Who needs a snowmobile?

You don't if you have a 4WD!!!

http://www.youtube.com/v/XwpKjEa4LYY...ed%26version=3

bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclaker View Post
Great concept, but I believe you need a 4 wheel drive for it to work.
That truck sure wasn't climbing those inclines with a limited slip 2 wheel drive truck.
I'd hate to get stuck, but it sure did look like fun.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
RLW

Smile

It sure does look like fun, but how many of us have wide open fields to use it on like they show as it sure wouldn't work on any of the snowmobile trails that I ride on.
Belmont Resident (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default ATV conversion

This link will show ATV converted to snow machine.

http://www.a2xtreme.com/2000/paxhtm/snowtrax.htm

This link will show 4X4 converted to snow machine

http://americantracktruck.com/

I believe the GMC Savana used on the Mt Washington auto road use this conversion in the winter.

Three years ago, I remember an altercation between the Pittsburgh snowmobile club members and a group of snotrax users. I didn't stick around for the conclusion but the club does not want snotrax users on the trails. Maybe someone can clue me in on this.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
This link will show ATV converted to snow machine.

http://www.a2xtreme.com/2000/paxhtm/snowtrax.htm

This link will show 4X4 converted to snow machine

http://americantracktruck.com/

I believe the GMC Savana used on the Mt Washington auto road use this conversion in the winter.

Three years ago, I remember an altercation between the Pittsburgh snowmobile club members and a group of snotrax users. I didn't stick around for the conclusion but the club does not want snotrax users on the trails. Maybe someone can clue me in on this.
Not sure about NH but in Maine you can register a tracked ATV and drive it on the snowmobile trails. Personally I do not think it should be allowed.
FYI we ride both but believe they should be kept separate.
Canada has groomed trails for ATV riding. These trails run along side many of the snowmobile trails especially along the power lines. Where ever the trails intersect and in some cases are shared they are always dangerously torn up and rutted.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Not sure about NH but in Maine you can register a tracked ATV and drive it on the snowmobile trails. Personally I do not think it should be allowed.
FYI we ride both but believe they should be kept separate.
Canada has groomed trails for ATV riding. These trails run along side many of the snowmobile trails especially along the power lines. Where ever the trails intersect and in some cases are shared they are always dangerously torn up and rutted.
If you register the tracked ATV as a snowmobile what is the problem? I could see if ATV didn't get registered as a snowmobile... But I can't see a tracked ATV being any worse on the trails then a snowmobile.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
trfour

Smile No Problems

On the trails with my snowmobile....

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (01-09-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
If you register the tracked ATV as a snowmobile what is the problem? I could see if ATV didn't get registered as a snowmobile... But I can't see a tracked ATV being any worse on the trails then a snowmobile.
Granted it is just my opinion but I doubt you will find many snowmobilers that want to see ATV's tracked or not sharing the trails with them.
Unfortunately it is legal to do so providing the wheels have been removed and replaced with tracks and the tracks do not exceed 54" in width and the weight does not exceed 1200 pounds. It also must be registered as a snowmobile.
Skip (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
Skip

Exclamation ATV conflicts within the snowmobile community....

Quote:
Granted it is just my opinion but I doubt you will find many snowmobilers that want to see ATV's tracked or not sharing the trails with them.
Unfortunately it is legal to do so providing the wheels have been removed and replaced with tracks and the tracks do not exceed 54" in width and the weight does not exceed 1200 pounds. It also must be registered as a snowmobile.
As you have pointed out above, Fish & Game has worked with the ATV community to come up with a set of standards that allow tracked ATVs to operate legally on some snowmobile trails.

The emphasis is on some, as the vast majority of trails in New Hampshire cross countless pieces of private property, with each private property owner required to give written permission each year for snowmobile access.

To answer LI's question, therein lies the rub. There are numerous private property owners that have stated that under no circumstances, tracked or untracked, are ATVs to be allowed on their properties. We have this issue within my own Club's trail system. If a private property owner says no to ATVs, then the State cannot force the issue. If the State or Club insists, then that property owner can simply close his property to all use. It is their right to determine what type of machine can access their property.

ATVers, through various assorted associations and clubs, are doing their best to clean up their image, just as sledders had to many years ago. I think they have been very succesful, especially up north. Unfortunately there is still too many bad apples that go out illegally, especially during mud season, and illegally cause much trail damage. We are battling that with ATVs and Four Wheel Trucks right now that have severely damaged a major section of trail over in Tamworth.

I hope the ATV community can continue to police and reign in the rogues within their community, but I think it will still be a long time before a lot of landowners will willingly open up their properties to these machines in the winter season.

Sorry for the rant, but thanks BR for the opportunity to expand on your comments.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (01-08-2013), Winnisquamguy (01-08-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
As you have pointed out above, Fish & Game has worked with the ATV community to come up with a set of standards that allow tracked ATVs to operate legally on some snowmobile trails.

The emphasis is on some, as the vast majority of trails in New Hampshire cross countless pieces of private property, with each private property owner required to give written permission each year for snowmobile access.

To answer LI's question, therein lies the rub. There are numerous private property owners that have stated that under no circumstances, tracked or untracked, are ATVs to be allowed on their properties. We have this issue within my own Club's trail system. If a private property owner says no to ATVs, then the State cannot force the issue. If the State or Club insists, then that property owner can simply close his property to all use. It is their right to determine what type of machine can access their property.

ATVers, through various assorted associations and clubs, are doing their best to clean up their image, just as sledders had to many years ago. I think they have been very succesful, especially up north. Unfortunately there is still too many bad apples that go out illegally, especially during mud season, and illegally cause much trail damage. We are battling that with ATVs and Four Wheel Trucks right now that have severely damaged a major section of trail over in Tamworth.

I hope the ATV community can continue to police and reign in the rogues within their community, but I think it will still be a long time before a lot of landowners will willingly open up their properties to these machines in the winter season.

Sorry for the rant, but thanks BR for the opportunity to expand on your comments.
As an avid UTV rider, different from ATV, we see it these problems all the time in Maine as well. The unfortunate thing is that many sum up the damage from the jeeps and trucks as ATV/UTV damage.
This past fall a huge section of privately owned trail was shut down to all use after the land owner was approached about making it a dual use trail.
Fortunately at the last minute and after a new trail was already cut the owners gave permission for the snowmobile club to use the trail.
We may never know the reason, I do know that the local ATV and snowmobile clubs in our section of Maine work well together and are constantly striving for more and more due use trails.
As it is now we can ride our OHRV's on a 200 miles loop that will never put us on the same trail. Hopefully some day there will be a trail that goes all the way around Moosehead lake. But for now we can get more then half way around it with the eastern side being disconnected from the rest of the trails.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
As an avid UTV rider, different from ATV, we see it these problems all the time in Maine as well. The unfortunate thing is that many sum up the damage from the jeeps and trucks as ATV/UTV damage.
How much less damage does your UTV do to the land than say a Jeep does?? And I not talking mud bogging.Your UTV goes down a trail going 40-60 MPH does a Jeep?You both climb pretty much the same areas. Just curious why the jeeps and trucks are that much worse.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:44 AM   #12
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
How much less damage does your UTV do to the land than say a Jeep does?? And I not talking mud bogging.Your UTV goes down a trail going 40-60 MPH does a Jeep?You both climb pretty much the same areas. Just curious why the jeeps and trucks are that much worse.
A lot of it can be attributed to the vehicle weight and the size of the tires. That and many of the jeeps will continually go back and forth through a mud hole further tearing it up and digging it out. But in the end I think it's just the size of the vehicle and the weight. Huge difference between a set of 33+ truck tires and a set of 28" ATV tires even though the number do not seem that much different.
Oh and my wife reminded me of this one, you always see the jeeps and trucks heading out during or just after a heavy rain to hit the muddy spots.

Last edited by Belmont Resident; 01-09-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
A lot of it can be attributed to the vehicle weight and the size of the tires. That and many of the jeeps will continually go back and forth through a mud hole further tearing it up and digging it out. But in the end I think it's just the size of the vehicle and the weight. Huge difference between a set of 33+ truck tires and a set of 28" ATV tires even though the number do not seem that much different.
I didn't want to turn this into a "mud bogging" issue but since you brought it up here are a few videos for your viewing pleasure. Again the size of the tires to me has very little to do with it.You can just go through a bigger mud hole with the Jeeps 33" tires but doesn't mean someone on a UTV won't try it with there 28" and actually do more damage try to get out.

Last edited by Winnisquamguy; 01-09-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Thanks Rusty!!
Winnisquamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
I didn't want to turn this into a "mud bogging" issue but since you brought it up here are a few videos for your viewing pleasure. Again the size of the tires to me has very little to do with it.You can just go through a bigger mud hole with the Jeeps 33" tires but doesn't mean someone on a UTV won't try it with there 28" and actually do more damage try to get out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s9OBGZoW18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEM5HXhNnoc

Can someone explain to me how to add these youtube videos without having to click on the link....Thanks
When you are at the Youtube video, do the following:

1.Click the Share button located under the video.
2.Click the Embed button.
3.Copy the code provided in the expanded box.
4.Paste the code into your forum, blog, or website.

Customizing your embedded player is also possible. Beneath the embed code, you'll find various customization options.

Last edited by Rusty; 01-09-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Removed video
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
Winnisquamguy (01-09-2013)