Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
Mariahman81

Smile Best Route to Lake W. (Gilford) this weekend

I will be traveling to Lake W. (Gilford) on Sunday morning from upstate NY. The routes I normally take are:

NYS Thruway to Berkshire Spur to Mass Pike.
Exit 11a off Mass Pike to RT 495N
Exit 40b off Rte 495N to RT 93N
Exit #20/US-3/RT-11 toward TILTON/LACONIA
Follow US-3 to Tilton/Laconia
US-3 becomes RT-11a
Right on Belknap Mt Rd into Gilford

With Bike Week going on (I realize it ends this Sunday), should I be looking for alternate routes to avoid congestion? If so... can anyone offer some advice?

Thank you for your help!

Mariahman81
Mariahman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
SIKSUKR

Your going the best way as far as I'm concerned.You will probably encounter traffic backed up on Rt3 as you approach Lake Winnisquam which is normal for weekends but it usually only last for a few miles because of a few sets of traffic lights.Once you get onto Rt11 the traffic moves 50-60mph.Definatly don't go through Laconia.The only correction I would have for you is Rt 3 doesn't "become" Rt 11a.After the Belknap Mall,take a right at the light onto Rt11,(its really a by-pass around Laconia)then your second exit is Rt11a heading towards Gilford center.I've been traveling this route for 15 years during Bike week and never have any problems.Now if you head to the Weirs,that's a different story! I'll be on that road too. SS
Old 06-16-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

We used to live in Clifton Park NY and would take 787 from the Northway to Troy, pick Rte 7 eastbound to VT where it turns into Rte 9 and follow Rte 9 through Bennington to Brattleboro, get on I91 N for one exit and back onto Rte 9 to Keene and then to Concord via a short trip on I 89. Nice ride, good road for the most part, and during bike week, fun to watch the locals along the way taking part in the excitement for their towns by sitting on their front porches watching the bikes go by .

To go to the lakes region (Exit 8 in Clifton Park to Alton Bay) was just about 4 hours with Brattleboro VT just about smack dab in the middle and a lot more relaxing than putting up with some of the idiots on the interstates and backups at toll booths.

Anyway you go, have a safe trip, a good weekend, and Happy Father's day if appropriate (in fact, Happy Father's day if you're not a Dad!!!!!).
Old 06-16-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Cool bike week traffic.

I think Sunday morning everyone will be heading out of Laconia/Gilford as you are going in. So no worries.

I usually don't take the Tilton exit as it is very busy at that intersection. Especially with a boat in tow. I pick up 393 from 93 in Concord. Then pickup 106 from 393 to Loudon, Laconia. From 106, I would pick up the Rte 3,11 bypass into Gilford. I find it much smoother to travel that route if you are heading into Gilford.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:06 PM   #5
PaulS

I don't know what day the motorcycle races are, but if they are on Sunday, 106 could be a bad idea depending on the time.
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
Mee-n-Mac

Default A slight shortcut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariahman81
I will be traveling to Lake W. (Gilford) on Sunday morning from upstate NY. The routes I normally take are:

NYS Thruway to Berkshire Spur to Mass Pike.
Exit 11a off Mass Pike to RT 495N
Exit 40b off Rte 495N to RT 93N
Exit #20/US-3/RT-11 toward TILTON/LACONIA
Follow US-3 to Tilton/Laconia
US-3 becomes RT-11a
Right on Belknap Mt Rd into Gilford

With Bike Week going on (I realize it ends this Sunday), should I be looking for alternate routes to avoid congestion? If so... can anyone offer some advice?

Thank you for your help!

Mariahman81
You can save 10-15 mins if you take the Rt3N (exit 35b to Nashua) off 495N. Rt3 turns into the Everett Turnpike in Nashua and you can follow that until it merges with Rt93N just before the tolls in Hookset. There are 2 caveats though; first you'll have to pay a 75 cent toll in Bedford and 2'nd it's possible to become confused w/Rt293 in Manchester. The latter is because the Turnpike is also Rt293 for a stretch and there's an exit for 293 (which you don't want to take). Just remember not to take any exits once on Rt3/Everett Turnpike. If you do take the 293 exit by mistake, you still end up on Rt93N but you'll have negated any time savings. Depending on the time of day Rt3N from 495 through Nashua can be slow but then again 495N from Rt3 until Rt93 can also be stop'n'go.

ps - I'm not sure when the races end this weekend so I'd avoid Rt106/Louden.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:37 AM   #7
Paugus Bay Resident

There are races this Sunday at NHIS, starting at 8am and pretty much running all day.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:09 PM   #8
Mariahman81

Thumbs up Thanks for all of your responses!

I really appreciate each of you taking the time to offer your responses. This is great... a lot of good advice.

And... thank you Upthesaukee... I am a Dad... looking to enjoy a little some precious Family time with my wife and kids this weekend... on the road... but hopefully mostly on Lake Winni! We are looking forward to picking up a jetski for our kids on Sunday.

Again... thanks to all of u, & have a great Father's Day weekend!
Mariahman81 is offline   Reply With Quote