Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default Gas prices

FYI not sure what they are in northern NH but here in northern Maine, regular gas is starting at 3.69 a gallon in town, and goes up from there. With many of the new sleds requiring 91 this grade is or soon will be over 4.00 a gallon on the trails.
That's going to put a dent in our snowmobiling budgets this year.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
Alton Bay

Don't know about you, but I'm just glad there's some snow...With only a few months left for riding, I'll deal with the gas prices!
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Belmont Resident

Default There is riding in Maine

A lot of people were out and headed up as we pulled out of Jackman. Although many are saying the conditions are good I question that because I know what the trails look like during the summer because many are also ATV trails. So it's going to take a lot more then 6-8 inches to cover the rocks and stumps which is why they are panning but not grooming, and many clubs just are not sending the groomers out till more snow falls.
We figure we will wait until this weekend before venturing out. With 1.3/4 inch tracks you can tear them up pretty easy.
It looks like maybe another 3-4 inches for north country this week.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
dippasan

Default Sleddin'

FYI
I rent a home in Rangeley Maine for the winter. My son and I rode 80 miles on the Rangeley system this weekend. Conditions were surprisingly good considering the lack of snowfall thus far. Rangeley had received about 4 inches on Friday and another 3-4 on Friday night into Saturday. Grooming has begun. If you have access to a trailer and you're itching to ride....head to Rangeley Maine. BTW we were able to ride as fast as we wanted on most of the trails. The ground is frozen solid and the new coverage on top of the existing base was enough to put a smile on our faces.
dippasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Default Same in Jackman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippasan View Post
FYI
I rent a home in Rangeley Maine for the winter. My son and I rode 80 miles on the Rangeley system this weekend. Conditions were surprisingly good considering the lack of snowfall thus far. Rangeley had received about 4 inches on Friday and another 3-4 on Friday night into Saturday. Grooming has begun. If you have access to a trailer and you're itching to ride....head to Rangeley Maine. BTW we were able to ride as fast as we wanted on most of the trails. The ground is frozen solid and the new coverage on top of the existing base was enough to put a smile on our faces.
The only problem is the wooded areas that don't see the snow because of the tree cover. With on brand new sled and one only a year old we decided to wait. Also we took a ride down to Rockwood to take pictures of our new property and saw some trails that were already showing dirt.
I agree reports of logging road riding were favorable.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Belmont Resident

Default 1st ride

Wow we finally got to experience a ride last weekend. Just enough snow to make it worth our while but the woods sections are punishing on both the rider and the sled.
As for gas prices even I was floored, they averaged between $4.20 and $4.40 a gallon on the trails.
With this storm Friday predicted to put some more much needed snow up north and stay rain or mixed around here, I’m sure the northern areas will be packed with people long distance trailering again.