Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
beanman

Default Conditions Castle in the Cloud or nearby locations

Any status on snowmobile conditions. Would love to travel north of Derry NH but,
I don't know if it is worth the trip. Thanks in advance.
beanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
rider

Default Todays trail condition

Rode the trails around Moultonboro. The trails around Red Hill are still in pretty good shape, not the best, but not the worst either. The worst part of the trails are 15 where it comes down from Castle in the Clouds all the way to Lake Kanasatka. There are lots of bare spots and exposed rocks in the pine groves. Club trail 201 is in bad shape untill it crosses Rt.25 once you get in the higher elevations, The trails on Red Hill and into Squam are in decent shape.
rider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rider For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (01-10-2010)
Old 01-10-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
beanman

Default Thank You for the trail status.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider View Post
Rode the trails around Moultonboro. The trails around Red Hill are still in pretty good shape, not the best, but not the worst either. The worst part of the trails are 15 where it comes down from Castle in the Clouds all the way to Lake Kanasatka. There are lots of bare spots and exposed rocks in the pine groves. Club trail 201 is in bad shape untill it crosses Rt.25 once you get in the higher elevations, The trails on Red Hill and into Squam are in decent shape.
It's got to get better - I'm heading to twin mountain next week, I'll post how the trailer were....
Old 01-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Twin Mt trails are in excellent shape right now having recieved at least 2 1/2 more feet of snow than the lakes region since the 1st of the year.
trfour (01-13-2010)
Old 01-13-2010, 04:15 PM   #5
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Twin Mt trails are in excellent shape right now having recieved at least 2 1/2 more feet of snow than the lakes region since the 1st of the year.
Shhhhhhhh!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Seeker

With any luck we'll get some on Sunday. We definitely need it.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
trfour

Default Early, And Late...

In the winter season, the Lakeside trails in Moultonboro can suffer from sun exposure and limited snow cover. Now, I have always been in favor of having the snow Gods wait until the Lake has frozen solid and safe to cross by snowmobile as being able to use the Lake to access all of the trails from the southern portions as in, Paugus Bay, Alton Bay and Gilford Laconia areas.

Advantage?

I would rather be able to ride across the Lake, than have to load up the sleds and trailer around the Lake to White Lake State Park to access the Ossipee Mountain trails, although I have had to many times over the years.

Now, the Lake this year is very close to freezing solid and safe for yet another very enjoyable snowmobile season here. Fingers & Toes crossed.
When it happens, Dial my direct # to the snow Gods.

1 800 538-48359 "Let It Fly "

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
beanman

Default Twin Mountain Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanman View Post
It's got to get better - I'm heading to twin mountain next week, I'll post how the trailes were....
Well it was worth the trip but - it was pretty used up by mid day Sunday. They really need snow to recover from this past weekend.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
hazelnut

Default Plymouth, Rumney, Ashland, Stinson Lake Trail

Lets see where to begin:

Saturday- Began at my sisters house in Ashland and went through downtown Plymouth, tracks and bridge exposed, bit of a nailbiter getting to the Common Man Inn. From the C.I.I on the powerlines towards Rumney conditions were good to very good. Took to the mountains from the Plain Jane area up to the big big Powerlines and then towards Wentworth then down towards Rumney again (151) I think, was fair to good to very good according to elevation. Then back to Ashland. I was so impressed with conditions (expectations were low) that I convinced a group to do it on Sunday.

Sunday - What a difference a day makes. Trails had gone downhill pretty fast. We rode it out did the (151) loop in reverse order from the day before. We made it back to the powerlines and were headed back to Plymouth when someone suggested we try the Bog trail and the trail towards Stinson. Well it started off VERY rough lots of waterbars and exposed rock and stumps. I was getting discouraged until we got some elevation and headed towards Stinson. I was so impressed with the conditions of those trails. Kudos to Central NH SNOMO club. I can't wait to get back to those trails when we get some more snow. The bummer was we eventually had to backtrack all the way back to Plymouth the way we went in. Usually we could have headed towards Campton and hit the tracks to Plymouth but I think you know why we couldn't do that.

A little over a hundred miles this weekend and I would consider it bonus riding because I wasn't even thinking we could have gone that far with the lack of snow we've had.

FYI - Saw lots of tracks on the lake today. I didn't venture out but I drove the truck over to Weirs to check out the RR Tracks. Saw the groomer, grooming along the strip at the Weirs (FYI the trail is now on the opposite side of the streets due to boardwalk construction). RR Tracks looked fair to good with a bit of rail showing but much better than I thought it would look after the Snowstorm. Weirs and Meredith got 8-10 it looks like.

Happy sledding.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
Irrigation Guy

Moultonboro is looking much improved with the 5 inches we got on sunday and 2-3 more yesterday. All trails have been groomed with the exception of Corr 15 to Meredith (which will likely see much less use as it is currently a dead end on the Western Shore of Lake Kanasatka).

There are still some thin areas under tree cover but I think they are in pretty good shape for now.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalRealtor View Post
All trails have been groomed with the exception of Corr 15 to Meredith (which will likely see much less use as it is currently a dead end on the Western Shore of Lake Kanasatka).
15 where it crosses Keyser Road in Meredith was groomed when I drove by this morning. Must be the Sno-Streakers heading north? Any idea how far north they would head?
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #12
Irrigation Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
15 where it crosses Keyser Road in Meredith was groomed when I drove by this morning. Must be the Sno-Streakers heading north? Any idea how far north they would head?
They usually turn around at Coe Hill Rd.
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
rider

Default Had a brain fart today...

I know Corridor 15 comes down to the lake via the power lines, crosses Ambrose cove, and then goes up to Castle In The Clouds. For the life of me, I couldn't find where once your on the lake, where to pick it up again, It is near the Marina?
rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:20 PM   #14
hazelnut

Quote:
I know Corridor 15 comes down to the lake via the power lines, crosses Ambrose cove, and then goes up to Castle In The Clouds. For the life of me, I couldn't find where once your on the lake, where to pick it up again, It is near the Marina?
Literally right next to it. If you are heading towards the Marina it is over to the right side.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #15
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Corridor 15 continues out of Ambrose cove, keeping the bubbled docks on your left. You should be able to see the trail signs and orange fencing that heads up the hill from the lake.