Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-31-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
TriDad

Default Vessel Capacity plate

New Boater question....

Do the limits on the vessel capacity plate apply to inland waters (Lake Winnipesaukee)?

Which takes precedence; Number of passengers or weight capacity?

If the plate says 6 people or 900 pounds - and I have 8 people but under 900 pounds, am I OK?
TriDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:00 AM   #2
GWC...

Default Whichever you reach first...

Max of 6 people or max of 900 pounds; whichever you reach first.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
dpg

Not sure what takes precedence but the number of people is who can "safely" be seated for travel. This would kind of be like a five or six passenger car. Just guessing but I'd say the number of people should/would come first. Lets put it this way, if you get stopped is the marine patrol going to weigh everyone? The boat manufacturer sets the weigh limit at a safe range, you can bet there's room to spare there.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:09 PM   #4
Woodsy

I would go with the six people.... as that is the number of people the boat mfgr states is the maximun number of people. the 900lbs is an alternative if you have to take some sort of cargo in the boat. There is a formula for capacity based on length that they use. You will of course need to have life jackets for all.

Woodsy
Woodsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 03:00 PM   #5
donnamatrix

Default Requirements

Hi. If the plate states "6 people" that's what it means. The weight is secondary...
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
jrc

Default This is all I can find in NH laws or rules

270-D:5 Overloading. – No vessel shall be operated while carrying passengers or cargo beyond its safe carrying capacity, taking into consideration weather and other operating conditions.
Source. 1990, 171:1, eff. June 26, 1990
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
arthurc

My sticker fell off and is missing. Do I need it for Marine Patrol, etc? Does anyone know how I can get a new one?
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:45 PM   #8
TriDad

Default bad info from local marina ?

At a local lakes region marina (shall remain un-named) they told me that this plate is only enforceable on coastal waters in NH. My boat can seat 8 but the plate says max 6 people...they claim that I am OK with 8 on Winnipesaukee. Correct or not?
TriDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:01 PM   #9
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,062 Posts

Tridad...ask that un-named local marina if they will pay the fine! Interesting from the SAF rules for registration. check out item #13 and note there is no reference to weight:
Saf-C 2302.03 Vessel Registration Applications.

(a) An applicant for a private or commercial vessel registration shall provide the following to the department on form DSMV 157A or DSMV 19:

(1) The existing bow number, if any;

(2) The year of manufacture, if known;

(3) The make of the vessel, if known;

(4) The color of the vessel;

(5) The length of the vessel from the bow to the stern, in feet and inches;

(6) The principal state in which the vessel will be used;

(7) The principal material from which the hull is constructed, such as fiberglass, wood or aluminum;

(8) The type of propulsion, such as outboard, inboard, electric or sail;

(9) The type of fuel used for propulsion, such as gasoline, diesel or electric;

(10) The manufacturer's hull identification number;

(11) Whether the vessel has single or twin engines;

(12) Whether the vessel will be used on inland waters or tidal waters;

(13) The maximum person capacity, as recommended by the manufacturer;

(14) A signed commercial affidavit issued by the department stating the vessel is used exclusively for commercial fishing, if applicable;

(15) Whether toilet, sink or shower facilities are present;

(16) Total available horsepower;

(17) The name, address and date of birth of the owner;

(18) What the primary use of the vessel is;

(19) Statement that all information is provided under penalty of unsworn falsification; and

(20) The signature of the owner, or in the case of a company, the signature and title of an authorized agent of the company.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:27 AM   #10
Island-Ho

Default No Plate

It's interesting that of all the items listed, #13 does not appear on the boat registration certificate. I believe most of the others do. I have never been asked for the number of people my vessel is rated to hold. Good thing too, since my boat is too old to have a plate in the first place.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 02:06 PM   #11
Outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDad
New Boater question....

Do the limits on the vessel capacity plate apply to inland waters (Lake Winnipesaukee)?

Which takes precedence; Number of passengers or weight capacity?

If the plate says 6 people or 900 pounds - and I have 8 people but under 900 pounds, am I OK?
The weight capacity includes not only the weight of the passengers but of your gear too. So with a maximum capacity of 6 people or 900 pounds, which ever comes first is the rule to follow. If you have 6 people on your boat and the total weight, including gear, is under 900 pounds - you have 'maxed out' the recommendations from the manufacturer by meeting the 6 people before the weight. Gear weight could be made up of such things as, but not limited to, extra anchors, line, toys, coolers, accessories in the cabin, PFD's, cleaning supplies, towels, clothes, fishing equipment - literally everything that does not come with the boat or is not factored into the gross weight of the vessel as stated by the manufacturer.

In answer to your question, if you have 8 people and you believe you may be under the 900 pounds, chances are that unless all 8 people are anorexic and you carry no gear (other than what is federal and state required) chances are you are over the 900 pounds anyway, but you've already exceeded the manufactures safety recommendation of 6 people in your specific boat. The same applies to weight, if you had 4 individuals in your boat which weighed 200 pounds each, and carried the federal and state minimum requirements for gear, chances are you have maxed the weight limit set by the manufacturer. So in this example you've maxed out the weight recommendation set by the manufacturer.

In New Hampshire, the vessel capacity plaque is not a legal requirement for Vessel Safety Checks - it is a discussion item, whereby the vessel examiner should make you aware of what your capacity plaque is and to understand what it means.

Hope this was of help.

Last edited by Outlaw; 06-02-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote