Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
songkrai

Default Storage Sheds Buildings

You see them at Lowe's Home Depot local hardware store and along the roadways. New storage builidings.

In your town in the Lakes Region. What if any are the building codes for these storage structures? No foundation. Just placed on blocks on ground.

Yes, there is a local official that can asked. Looking for opinions or examples of those who have actually put one up on property. Did you obtain a building permit? Do you need a building permit in your town? Do all setbacks apply in your town. Anyone have any issues with such placement of storage sheds. Standard size such as 8 x 10 or 8 x 12 etc.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
RLW

Check out this thread for additional info
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ds+ferry+sheds
Old 11-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
MarkinNH

I had a 12x16 delivered and assembled at a clients home in Moultonborough several years ago and there was no permit required as it was not a permanent structure.
This was a modular type shed, it arrived as assembled panels on a truck complete with gas powered air compressor and construction crew. We had a compacted gravel base ready for them, the crew set and leveled the base and then put the panels together and roofed it.
Somewhere around 2003 I purchased and assembled a 24x26 "Cover It" type 2 car garage at my own house and there was no permit required as it again, was not a permanent structure.
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Winnisquamguy

I built a 14' x 30' shed in Sanbornton and got a permit, I believe most towns require a permit as they want the tax money and permit fee.Mine is on blocks and is 10' off the property line. They have no inspections in Sanbornton so I never saw anyone.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:14 PM   #5
RLW

Most towns require a permit for anything above 100 square feet and they have to be 10' from any property line, pre-built included and if there is a code enforcer (another fancy word for building inspector) it has to be inspected when completed.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:16 PM   #6
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
I built a 14' x 30' shed in Sanbornton and got a permit, I believe most towns require a permit as they want the tax money and permit fee.Mine is on blocks and is 10' off the property line. They have no inspections in Sanbornton so I never saw anyone.

Just a general question. If there is no inspections, then who issues the permit????
Old 11-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #7
songkrai

Some word of mouth states that if this is a non-attached "temporary" structure nothing applies. Some state that if such is "temporary" then setbacks do not apply. Anyone else wish to chime in?
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
dpg

Check with your town if there's ever an issue the town can make you move it which can be a PITA...In my town (Mass) anything larger than 120 sq ft must either go on a foundation or sonor (sp) tubes. Most towns even in NH are probably pretty close for rules.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Just a general question. If there is no inspections, then who issues the permit????
You just go into the planning dept. and apply for one. Sanbornton is very laid back... not many inspections even when building a house.One of the reasons I have had to rebuild mine.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Some word of mouth states that if this is a non-attached "temporary" structure nothing applies. Some state that if such is "temporary" then setbacks do not apply. Anyone else wish to chime in?
I have heard different towns allowing temporary structures but they must be on wheels. Doesn't seem worth it to me. If you are having a setback issue you can always go for a variance.