Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2021, 02:15 PM   #1
sky's

Default cutting the cord on spectrum

so i have 5 TV's in my house 2 are samsung units. the issue im having with Spectrum and there cable boxes is you are constantly unplugging and rebooting the units so the gable guide works,volume etc. can some body give me some advise on roku units or a better way to use your tv and perhaps save a few bucks without throwing a hammer through it? we live in Moultonborough and the internet works great. thanks
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #2
pondguy

Thumbs up TCL Roku

I have had great luck with TCL tvs.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:25 PM   #3
granitebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
I have had great luck with TCL tvs.
ditto - I actually look for TCL's now with integrated Roku.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:30 PM   #4
pondguy

I have bought 4 in the past 2 years a 43 inch for my living room and a 32 inch for my bedroom. Also a 40 inch for my daughters livingroom and a 32 for her bedroom. the price is right on Amazon , Walmart or Target. https://www.target.com/p/tcl-40-34-c...55#lnk=sametab
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
so i have 5 TV's in my house 2 are samsung units. the issue im having with Spectrum and there cable boxes is you are constantly unplugging and rebooting the units so the gable guide works,volume etc. can some body give me some advise on roku units or a better way to use your tv and perhaps save a few bucks without throwing a hammer through it? we live in Moultonborough and the internet works great. thanks
I cut cable over 20 years ago.

Plenty of garbage to watch for free or streaming services.

5 TV’s is 4 to many
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
Lakegeezer

Default Yttv

I cut the Spectrum TV cable a year ago and all pre-worries were not relevant. For live TV, I use YouTube TV. Yes, Patriots is there. It is nice having unlimited recordings, ability to let it find what I ask for and skip commercials for non-"on-demand" shows.

I have several streaming devices, from Roku to FireStick but prefer the Google Chromecast with YouTube TV. It is well integrated with YTTV and the remote works well. If you want to use YTTV on more than three TV's at the same time, you need to go with the 4K subscription.

Of course, the cord is not completely cut. Spectrum Internet works well. I pay for 100/10 but regularly get 115/12. It occasionally goes down, but what service doesn't?
Old 12-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #7
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
I cut cable over 20 years ago.

Plenty of garbage to watch for free or streaming services.

5 TV’s is 4 to many
i agree only 1 maybe 2 is used at once. all my tv's are within 5 years old? thanks
Old 12-11-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Old TV w Roku

We have an ~8 yo Panasonic TV. Mostly use Comcast as we package Internet and landline phones. Probably should join this century. We have a separate Roku box which is great. Lots of free choices, no expense unless you want to subscribe or sometimes pay for individual shows. Five years ago, ROKU was ~$20 a share, now at ~$230, off its highs. With that, a lot of people think it is the way to go. It is now built into many new production TV's.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
sky's (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 04:17 PM   #9
tummyman

Just finishing my first year after switching from Spectrum TV to YouTubeTV. I use it both at me MA as well as NH homes....but only 2 TV's at a time. MA homes both use ROKU devices. No issues at either place. However, if you want broader sports coverage, then Fubo may be a better option, as they do carry the Bruins and Red Sox that YTTV does not. Both services have a free test period, so you should really try one...check out their channel listings on line first. Between eliminating cable TV at both MA location, I saved $1300 per year with just paying YTTV. I like the cost savings a lot and have not really missed having Spectrum of Verizon FIOS in MA. The $1300 seemed like I was really throwing money away. NOT ANYMORE!!! With inflation, etc., we all need to find ways to save money. Also just switched home security systems at both location from ADT to Simpli Safe. Saved another $700 + without any sacrifice in service. So between the two, $2000 in my pocket is a better deal any day.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
sky's (12-11-2021)
Old 12-11-2021, 06:31 PM   #10
SailinAway

I've had Roku plus Netflix for several years and am so glad I got rid of the cable. I'm paying $8.99 a month for Netflix. How can you say no to a deal like that? My total yearly cost for TV is $72. That's right, seventy-two dollars. If you think that's too much, hook your computer up to your TV and you will have free YouTube and everything else for free.

What I like about Roku:

(1) Roku includes free YouTube (the same YouTube you would have on any computer, not specifically YouTube TV). Aside from the junk and cute cat videos, YouTube has some very good content if you search for it.

(2) Netflix has enough content to keep you busy for a very long time, and they produce an ambitious number of their own shows and films.

(3) You can get local news (WMUR through Haystack) as well as news from CBS, ABC, and NBC on a Roku device. Those are all free, but the three networks interrupt a lot with ads.

(4) The Roku devices have been reliable for me. I have a Roku 3, which doesn't require a separate remote to turn on the TV and adjust the volume. There are good professional reviews to help you choose a device.

The were some really low prices on Rokus after Thanksgiving, so you will probably be able to find something affordable at Christmas sales. The Roku Streaming Stick+ is $35 right now at Staples. https://www.staples.com/roku-streami...oduct_24390581 I don't know if that price ends today.

Last edited by SailinAway; 12-12-2021 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Corrected info about YouTube
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:08 PM   #11
Flylady

Default Youtube TV

I left spectrum several years ago. Signed up for Youtube TV. Benefits: you can have up to five users on the account. So my daughter and son each use my account. Their only investment is for the Roku purchase and their internet costs. I use the same account on the west coast and east coast. I do have to switch my home location but that is easy.
One recent change is that Roku and its contract with Youtube TV have changed so new Roku devices will not include a direct access to YTTV, however you just go to the Youtube channel and at the very bottom is the YTTV option. So check out access before you go with RoKu. Of course it is also available through other devices like firestick.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 09:28 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylady View Post
I left spectrum several years ago. Signed up for Youtube TV. Benefits: you can have up to five users on the account. So my daughter and son each use my account. Their only investment is for the Roku purchase and their internet costs. I use the same account on the west coast and east coast. I do have to switch my home location but that is easy.
One recent change is that Roku and its contract with Youtube TV have changed so new Roku devices will not include a direct access to YTTV, however you just go to the Youtube channel and at the very bottom is the YTTV option. So check out access before you go with RoKu. Of course it is also available through other devices like firestick.
I think that ROKU and YTTV reached an agreement. I have been down in Boston for two weeks, but I thought I saw something about that recently.

Dave
Flylady (12-16-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 07:49 AM   #13
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I think that ROKU and YTTV reached an agreement. I have been down in Boston for two weeks, but I thought I saw something about that recently.

Dave
Correct, Dec 8th email:

Quote:
We have good news: The YouTube TV app is back in the Roku Channel Store. A few months ago, we let you know that our agreement with Roku had expired and that the app would not be available for new downloads in the store.

Today, we are happy to share that we have since reached a deal with Roku to continue distributing the YouTube and YouTube TV apps on Roku devices. This means the YouTube TV app is once again available in the Roku Channel Store for both new and existing members. You will still have the option to access YouTube TV via the YouTube app if you would like.

Thanks for being a YouTube TV member.

Sincerely,
The YouTube TV team
Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (12-12-2021), upthesaukee (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 07:59 AM   #14
rsmlp

Default cable boxes?

Quote:
you do NOT need cable boxes with smart tv's. I have several with none and use spectrum exclusively (mainly for 400 mbps wifi which is excellent).
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
sky's (12-19-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 12:11 PM   #15
SailinAway

Given that the dispute between YouTube and Google has been resolved and basic YouTube will still be available for free on Roku devices, I think that Roku with or without an additional subscription like Netflix is unbeatable. It's basically simple, free TV.

The only advantage of Netflix versus Roku is more recent movies. The free YouTube channel on Roku has tons of old movies. But for $9 a month you can throw in Netflix guilt free. I personally find Netflix's own film productions too violent recently.

Last edited by SailinAway; 12-12-2021 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Corrected info about YouTube
Old 12-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #16
WinnisquamZ

Thinking the same cord cutting after the new year. Hulu and Apple TV. Live TV on any of them is around $40. Thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:51 PM   #17
WinnisquamZ

Must add we have Amazon Fire Sticks on each TV. Work great, looking to do something for live TV as my current dish tv contract is up

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
winterharbor59 (01-02-2022)
Old 12-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #18
tummyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Given the above update from Slickcraft that YouTube TV will still be available for free on Roku devices, I think that Roku with or without an additional subscription like Netflix is unbeatable. It's basically simple, free TV.

The only advantage of Netflix versus Roku is more recent movies. YouTube has tons of old movies. But for $9 a month you can throw in Netflix guilt free. I personally find Netflix's own film productions too violent recently.
Unless I misinterpreted your comments (my apology if I did). the fact that the YouTubeTV app is on ROKU does not mean you can access it without a subscription. You still need the $64.99 monthly subscription. The app on ROKU only makes it convenient to access the system if you cannot or do not have the capability to show it as a separate app on your smart TV.
upthesaukee (12-12-2021)
Old 12-12-2021, 06:46 PM   #19
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Unless I misinterpreted your comments (my apology if I did). the fact that the YouTubeTV app is on ROKU does not mean you can access it without a subscription. You still need the $64.99 monthly subscription. The app on ROKU only makes it convenient to access the system if you cannot or do not have the capability to show it as a separate app on your smart TV.
My error, sorry. For others who are confused (as I was), YouTube is not the same as YouTube TV. The basic YouTube is free on Roku devices. YouTube TV is not free.

I "think" (but am not sure) that the dispute impacted both YouTube and YouTube TV on Roku. Quote from Ars Techinca: "Roku and Google have arrived at a multi-year deal that will keep the YouTube and YouTube TV apps available on Roku's devices."
Old 12-13-2021, 06:34 AM   #20
Blue Thunder

We just cut the cord as well. Sold our home of 36 years in November. Took advantage of the current real estate market and are now renting until my wife decides to retire. We had FIOS internet and tv. Started trying streaming about a year ago using my son's YTTV account. We use it here and at our place in Maine. It’s nowhere near as user friendly as cable but saving well over $200 per month helps get us over that. I bought a 65” TCL tv with the built in Roku system for $500 at Best Buy. Awesome TV. At some point we will get our own YTTV account but for now the $69 per month 300 mbps works perfectly.

BT
Old 12-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #21
LakeTimes

I use Youtube TV at Lake and Comcast at home. HATE Comcast (saying it politely). Have had nothing but problems with their boxes since we moved here 7 years ago. Have gone through several different boxes, versions including newest 4K boxes etc. etc. Comcast techs have been out 5+ times and even their NE Tech Director due to issues as they keep claiming this shouldn't be the experience... (Excuse Tirade )

Will be getting rid of Comcast TV (keeping internet) just after the New Year and using YouTube TV full time at both places. Bring this up, as what I've learned from buying several different TVs and various devices is - I want a solid TV and would prefer no devices connected to my TV so I just have 1 cable (POWER) and 1 remote.

Samsung processing is terrible (One of the places where Samsung cuts cost hoping to 'save' money on their cost to build the TV hoping you just hook up a device vs use onboard Apps). They have a hard time streaming for long periods of time - note I was told this however has been improved for their QLED. Went through 3 tv's with Samsung 2 years ago until they finally gave up and admitted issues were processing (which I knew all along and was telling them - I was doing A/B testing with a separate device with no issues). That being said, I didn't want a separate device and another remote...

That being said, HIGHLY suggest taking a look at the LG OLED line. Expensive? Yes - Certainly more than most TVs, but if you are looking for top-end quality, the ability to steam for hours with no picture or performance issues, extra devices or remotes - this is absolutely the way to go! They use WebOS which works very well and has all the core Apps (HBO, Showtime, Disney, Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube TV, Youtube, Spotify, even Roku etc. etc. etc.). They did have a contractual issue with HBO up until about 4ish months ago, but that dispute was solved and the App was added. I went with 2 LG OLED's for my house and have had zero issues. When people come over, they are always blown away by the picture quality. At this point, wish I was on LG Payroll as I should be getting a commission on all the TV's I've sold ha!

Again - BIGGEST difference here is that you CAN stream live TV for hours and not worry about the Processor overheating and making your video choppy/laggy. Most people will blame it on their Internet, but it in fact is NOT their internet, and many times the device, especially when you consider the buffering they do locally when streaming (why it runs seconds behind Live TV typically).

Only issue with Youtube TV is no NESN (So no Bruins, Celtics or RedSox). You can submit requests for that per another thread on here which I've done, but have little confidence in will be added in the near future. Since I don't watch them frequently, really not a big issue for me (unlike Patriots ).

Figured I'd pass along my experience as it might be something to look into if High-Quality Picture, 1 remote, and no additional devices are your preference. Any by High Quality - Take a look at the picture in person and do a comparison. It's truly impressive.

Last edited by LakeTimes; 12-13-2021 at 03:12 PM.
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LakeTimes For This Useful Post:
Descant (12-16-2021), Sal (10-20-2022), Slickcraft (12-13-2021)
Old 12-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #22
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeTimes View Post
I use Youtube TV at Lake and Comcast at home. HATE Comcast (saying it politely). Have had nothing but problems with their boxes since we moved here 7 years ago. Have gone through several different boxes, versions including newest 4K boxes etc. etc. Comcast techs have been out 5+ times and even their NE Tech Director due to issues as they keep claiming this shouldn't be the experience... (Excuse Tirade )

Will be getting rid of Comcast TV (keeping internet) just after the New Year and using YouTube TV full time at both places. Bring this up, as what I've learned from buying several different TVs and various devices is - I want a solid TV and would prefer no devices connected to my TV so I just have 1 cable (POWER) and 1 remote.

Samsung processing is terrible (where they can save money hoping you just hook up a device vs use onboard Apps) so has a hard time streaming for long periods of time. Went through 3 tv's with them 2 years ago until they admitted issues were processing (which I knew and was telling them as I was A/B testing with a separate device with no issues). That being said, I didn't want a separate device and another remote...

HIGHLY suggest taking a look at the LG OLED line. Expensive? Yes - Certainly more than most TVs, but if you are looking for top-end quality, the ability to steam for hours with no picture or performance issues, extra devices or remotes - this is absolutely the way to go! They use WebOS which works very well and has all the core Apps (HBO, Showtime, Disney, Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube TV, Youtube, Spotify, even Roku etc. etc. etc.). They did have a contractual issue with HBO up until about 4ish months ago, but that dispute was solved and the App was added.

Again - BIGGEST difference here is that you CAN stream live TV for hours and not worry about Processor overheating and making your video choppy. Most people will blame it on their Internet, but it in fact is NOT their internet, and many times the device, especially when you consider the buffering they do locally when streaming (why it runs seconds behind typically).

Only issue with Youtube TV is no NESN (So no Bruins, Celtics or RedSox). You can submit requests for that per another thread on here which I've done, but have little confidence in will be added in the near future. Since I don't watch them frequently, really not a big issue for me (unlike Patriots ).

Figured I'd pass along my experience as it might be something to look into if High-Quality Picture, 1 remote, and no additional devices are your preference. Any by High Quality - Take a look at the picture in person and do a comparison. It's truly impressive.
Thank you

Old 12-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #23
Slickcraft

Quote:

That being said, HIGHLY suggest taking a look at the LG OLED line. Expensive? Yes - Certainly more than most TVs, but if you are looking for top-end quality, the ability to steam for hours with no picture or performance issues, extra devices or remotes - this is absolutely the way to go! They use WebOS which works very well and has all the core Apps (HBO, Showtime, Disney, Apple TV, Netflix, Hulu, Youtube TV, Youtube, Spotify, even Roku etc. etc. etc.). They did have a contractual issue with HBO up until about 4ish months ago, but that dispute was solved and the App was added. I went with 2 LG OLED's for my house and have had zero issues. When people come over, they are always blown away by the picture quality. At this point, wish I was on LG Payroll as I should be getting a commission on all the TV's I've sold ha!
We have been considering getting a LG OLED. While most reviews are positive, some negative reviews single out the “magic remote”. Looks like a love it or hate it deal with the remote.

We currently use a Chrome-cast with Google TV remote to operate YTTV. Do you have any experience using the LG remote to operate YTTV? Some reviews of the magic remote indicated that functions like pause, forward and rewind were buried in a side menu. Hopefully that is not the case as our use of YTTV is mostly watching recordings.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:47 PM   #24
LakeTimes

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We have been considering getting a LG OLED. While most reviews are positive, some negative reviews single out the “magic remote”. Looks like a love it or hate it deal with the remote.

We currently use a Chrome-cast with Google TV remote to operate YTTV. Do you have any experience using the LG remote to operate YTTV? Some reviews of the magic remote indicated that functions like pause, forward and rewind were buried in a side menu. Hopefully that is not the case as our use of YTTV is mostly watching recordings.
From my experience, we've had no issues. Since using LG's YTTV App within WebOS, remote works absolutely no issues (at least to date). I can see what people would complain about the remote giving you a 'mouse arrow' on your TV, but to be clear, you dont' have to use it. We use it for something things which makes it much easier and faster (like scrolling to pick the App we want to launch) and then use arrows for other things like scrolling down through the YTTV guide. I also believe you can use your phone if you'd like to control the TV (guessing similar to Apple TV's ability to use your phone). We have not set it up, but did wish we had one time as we had to try and find the remote our little guy had hidden . None the less - Still havne't downloaded it. Too far down the priority list to get to.

One other side note - Received this email this week about YTTV's contract progress with Disney. This WOULD impact us greatly if they can't get this done, as we watch ABC/WMUR and ESPN quite a bit, but that's just for us personally. Same thing happened with CBS earlier this year and they brought that to a conclusion at the 23rd hour, so no disruption if I remember correctly. Guessing something will be worked out on Friday, but never know...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...sney-channels/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LakeTimes For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (12-14-2021), upthesaukee (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 02:56 PM   #25
upthesaukee

Default I agree

Quote:
From my experience, we've had no issues. Since using LG's YTTV App within WebOS, remote works absolutely no issues (at least to date). I can see what people would complain about the remote giving you a 'mouse arrow' on your TV, but to be clear, you dont' have to use it. We use it for something things which makes it much easier and faster (like scrolling to pick the App we want to launch) and then use arrows for other things like scrolling down through the YTTV guide. I also believe you can use your phone if you'd like to control the TV (guessing similar to Apple TV's ability to use your phone). We have not set it up, but did wish we had one time as we had to try and find the remote our little guy had hidden . None the less - Still havne't downloaded it. Too far down the priority list to get to.

One other side note - Received this email this week about YTTV's contract progress with Disney. This WOULD impact us greatly if they can't get this done, as we watch ABC/WMUR and ESPN quite a bit, but that's just for us personally. Same thing happened with CBS earlier this year and they brought that to a conclusion at the 23rd hour, so no disruption if I remember correctly. Guessing something will be worked out on Friday, but never know...

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...sney-channels/
YTTV would be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't work out the issue. Disney is way too big a part of the lineup, and it would put a big hole in sports programming if it were to go away. It would be a deal breaker for my wife and I.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:34 PM   #26
milesbob

Default Spectrum streaming service

Has anyone migrated to the spectrum streaming service.
I heard you can get their lowest level for a low price.
You get like 25 basic channels and can add 10-15 of any other channels.
milesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:06 AM   #27
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post

I have a 65” LG OLED. Last year it supported 3D and curved.
It’s been flawless. It’s a shame they dropped the 3D, it works extremely well.
Picture is jaw dropping.

I toss every remote that comes with a device in the junk drawer.

Been using Logitech Harmony remotes for years.
It even handles Bluetooth remotes like Apple TV.

Best thing since sliced bread.
I have a fairly complex setup and even my wife can use it

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...15-000256.html

They make one at every price point. They work by function, not by device. No learning either. You just setup something like. Watch Netflix. Turns on TV, selects input, Turns on Receiver, selects its input, Dims the lights (it talks to my SmartThings home automation) and ready to go. It doesn’t make popcorn yet though, damn it.

Saves a lot trouble with remote control challenged folks in the house hold. I won’t mention the sex or age of those challenged with such things They just want it to work.
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #28
thebix

Default Logitech Harmony discontinued

Logitech Harmony discontinued

Unfortunatly, the Logitech Harmony remote line is discontinued.

Logitech has discontinued its Harmony universal TV remotes
By What Hi-Fi? published April 12, 2021

https://www.whathifi.com/news/logite...sal-tv-remotes

Logitech has discontinued its Harmony range of universal remotes. No new products will be produced, and once existing inventory is gone, it's gone. The brand says it will continue to support existing products as long as customers are using them, but to what degree will be interesting to see.

SO, not really a long term solution.

But, I agree that they work well, I have two model 700.
I am exploring the Sofabaton U1 as a replacement.
http://www.sofabaton.com/u1.html
The One for All Smart Remote
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thebix For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 12:09 PM   #29
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebix View Post

Logitech has discontinued its Harmony range of universal remotes. No new products will be produced, and once existing inventory is gone, it's gone. The brand says it will continue to support existing products as long as customers are using them, but to what degree will be interesting to see.

Doesn't surprise me at all. When I built and installed my theatre 6 years ago, I bought (at that time) a solid, feature-rich Logitech Harmony remote after doing a lot of research. The greatest part about it is how easy it is to use (literally anyone can use it) and if there is confusion, the remote would troubleshoot it with you on the LCD screen - HOWEVER it took a Licensed Home Theatre Professional to program and set up all the macros (Logitech License Required). Back then about half of their remotes required this while the 'more inexpensive and less feature rich' remotes did not. Needless to say, he spent a solid 2 hours setting it up with everything we had (projector, receiver, Comast box, DVD Player, Apple TV, etc. etc.). Challenge is if you want to swap out any device, it needs a professional to come out and reprogram it which means more $$$ spent. Dont' get me wrong - it works great - but with how technology has advanced with not needing a professional anymore to program it, no need to have to go this path again...

I'm guessing that one of the many reasons Logitech could care less about the "Home Theatre Remote Business" anymore. With how quickly technology has advanced, consumer's dependencies on phones & tablets, apps - innovation around wifi/ mesh networks and connectivity, rise of home automation platforms, increased use of the Alexa's/Siri's and Google Homes of the world - it's a race to the bottom in pricing while features, capabilities and overall connectivity continue to improve (One of the many benefits of Open Source Software). I'd be willing to bet, the high-end/luxury remote revenue stream was barely profitable (if at all) and at the end of the day, the $200 profit on a $800 remote was far from worth it... So many choices out there now for us to choose from
Old 12-16-2021, 01:15 PM   #30
Woodsy

Streaming can be easy... if you do it right!

1. Buy your own equipment. The stuff the cable companies rent to you is down revision crap. I have a Netgear Nighthawk cable modem (DOCSIS 3.1) coupled to Linksys WiFi-6 router. Currently using 400mb/sec speed from ABB. I consistently bang over 300mb/sec on speed tests.

2. Pick a good streaming stick... The tv manufacturers don't really stay on top of updates. Lots of people seem to like the Roku... I prefer the Amazon Firestick for its customization abilities.

3. The only really good streaming options with local channels are YouTube TV (discussed above) and DirecTV Stream. I use DirecTV Stream and there is a package that will get you NESN (although I do not have it). I have been pretty happy so far (2+ years)

4. If you are one of those people who want to disable the trackers, get yourself a good VPN... Nord or ExpressVPN is what I would recommend. Stay away from the "free" ones. Free is not really free and you could be granting shady characters unwanted access.

Woodsy
GregW11 (12-16-2021)
Old 12-16-2021, 03:57 PM   #31
Patofnaud

Quote:

Stay away from the remotes, unless you want(ed) to chase the upgrade monster. Harmony HUB. It is supported by Alexa and Google, does all the same as the old remotes, except it's all voice-activated.

"Alexa watch Netflix" at my house turns on the tv and sets its correct input HDMI, turns on the A/V receiver, and sets it input from the optical input audio 5.1 from the ROKU, turns on the ROKU box, and selects Netflix.

And yep, and IMHO never buy a TV because you like its apps, they change, software updates are constant and sometimes they no longer support your favorite app. External boxes like RUKO, Western Digital, ect,,, can move them and toss them when they get dated while leaving the TV alone.
Patofnaud is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Patofnaud For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (12-16-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #32
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post

I toss every remote that comes with a device in the junk drawer.

Been using Logitech Harmony remotes for years.
It even handles Bluetooth remotes like Apple TV.

Best thing since sliced bread.
I have a fairly complex setup and even my wife can use it

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/produ...15-000256.html

They make one at every price point. They work by function, not by device. No learning either. You just setup something like. Watch Netflix. Turns on TV, selects input, Turns on Receiver, selects its input, Dims the lights (it talks to my SmartThings home automation) and ready to go. It doesn’t make popcorn yet though, damn it.

Saves a lot trouble with remote control challenged folks in the house hold. I won’t mention the sex or age of those challenged with such things They just want it to work.
I am a long time user of Harmony remotes to control my sound system and TV replacing the IR stock remotes. Reading your post, I was thinking of moving up to a model that had Bluetooth and well as IR. And then I read the note by thebix. Too bad as Harmony was a good product line.
Old 12-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #33
mswlogo

Quote:

Ouch, I didn’t know that. Thanks for the heads up.
I agree I wouldn’t go down that path now.

It really was an excellent system for a number of years.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #34
WinnisquamZ

Heard a deal is done on Disney and YTTV

Old 12-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #35
upthesaukee

Default Just looked

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Heard a deal is done on Disney and YTTV

Just looked and got a message that deal has been reached and subscribers will get a one time $15 discount.

Dave
Old 12-27-2021, 09:34 PM   #36
Purplehayes

I had YouTube TV for a year at the $50 per month charge when it included NESN. When they increased prices substantially and lost NESN I switched to Spectrum streaming service. I have this for a year and have been very happy with the service and the price. They were offering a package for internet and streaming for $100 per month total. After fees the bill is $117. I get well over 100 channels (might up around 200?). I stream on both a Samsung and LG TV and have not had an issue with either. The Spectrum streaming with the number of channels is really hard to beat with the other services.
Purplehayes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purplehayes For This Useful Post:
Cal-to-NH (12-28-2021), sky's (12-31-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 09:47 AM   #37
Cal-to-NH

Default Great Idea PurpleHayes

I got an extra Samsung TV at the house and downloaded the "Spectrum TV App" on it. When I use it I have the full TV Package without a box, including the channel guide. It makes complete sense that Spectrum would offer it without a TV subscription or Cable box but I never thought about it. This is very useful information and a great way to save. THANKS
Cal-to-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal-to-NH For This Useful Post:
sky's (12-31-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 01:49 PM   #38
tummyman

Default FINAL straw....I'm gone !!!

Just got word from YTTV that as of today, no more NECN, CNBC World, or NBC Sports Network.

After the issues with loosing NESN, then Disney, now these three channels. I have totally had it. Will switch to FUBO immediately.
Old 12-31-2021, 02:07 PM   #39
sky's

Quote:
Just got word from YTTV that as of today, no more NECN, CNBC World, or NBC Sports Network.

After the issues with loosing NESN, then Disney, now these three channels. I have totally had it. Will switch to FUBO immediately.
would love to know how you like fubu?
Old 12-31-2021, 03:25 PM   #40
upthesaukee

Default Still have Disney

Quote:

YTTV reached agreement with Disney group.

I didn't keep NECN in my custom channel lineup. Just didn't care for their coverage. Didn't watch CNBC world. NBC SN will have some of their programming going over to USA.

Please note that NBC Sports Network is ceasing operations for all distributors, but much of its programming will be transferred to USA Network, which is available on YouTube TV.

Dave
Old 01-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #41
tummyman

Default Still have YTTV ????

Spent a good amount of time yesterday looking at various streaming services. There are plusses and minuses everywhere. One service...Spectrum Streaming.... looked very attractive in terms of channels, so I bit the bullet and signed up for a 3 day trial. After three hours of total frustration trying to arrange the viewing guide, I called and cancelled everything. The guide, in my opinion, is terrible and not at all user friendly. Also, since I am in Moultonborough ,the usual problem of getting assigned to the Portland ME area based on our zip code was a non starter, as many local news channels they advertised are not available. I certainly do not want ME for news and weather. Stupid. And Spectrum has little on line help resources to advise consumers how to use its guide. Even one of their customer service folks admitted they tried it and could not figure it out. So, I scratched Spectrum Streaming. Now debating whether I can live with YTTV as it is now and just stay with it. The one channel I liked was NECN, but I can live without it...I think. FUBO has some good alternatives, but also a number of channels are missing in their lineup. Learned no one size fits all applies here as well.
Old 01-01-2022, 01:15 PM   #42
dickiej

How do digital antennas work in the lakes region? I get almost 20 channels one hour east of Portland, OR.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:08 PM   #43
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
How do digital antennas work in the lakes region? I get almost 20 channels one hour east of Portland, OR.
A couple years back, I tried a digital antenna at my camp. I spent a few hours monkeying around with a few antennas with and without boosters and only ever got one channel sporadically. Others in my association had similar experiences, so I returned all the gear. We are off Moultonborough Neck Road.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 07:44 PM   #44
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Suggest a search here, that has been asked and answered many times. We do not live in the flatlands here.

Alan
Old 01-02-2022, 09:40 AM   #45
sky's

Quote:
Spent a good amount of time yesterday looking at various streaming services. There are plusses and minuses everywhere. One service...Spectrum Streaming.... looked very attractive in terms of channels, so I bit the bullet and signed up for a 3 day trial. After three hours of total frustration trying to arrange the viewing guide, I called and cancelled everything. The guide, in my opinion, is terrible and not at all user friendly. Also, since I am in Moultonborough ,the usual problem of getting assigned to the Portland ME area based on our zip code was a non starter, as many local news channels they advertised are not available. I certainly do not want ME for news and weather. Stupid. And Spectrum has little on line help resources to advise consumers how to use its guide. Even one of their customer service folks admitted they tried it and could not figure it out. So, I scratched Spectrum Streaming. Now debating whether I can live with YTTV as it is now and just stay with it. The one channel I liked was NECN, but I can live without it...I think. FUBO has some good alternatives, but also a number of channels are missing in their lineup. Learned no one size fits all applies here as well.
i can second that im in Moultonborough as well i have a samsung tv managed to get the spectrum app going however the guide doesnt work, and how do you set that as a default so you dont have to go thru all that bs everytime you turn on the tv?
Old 01-03-2022, 09:57 AM   #46
tummyman

Quote:
i can second that im in Moultonborough as well i have a samsung tv managed to get the spectrum app going however the guide doesnt work, and how do you set that as a default so you dont have to go thru all that bs everytime you turn on the tv?
I could never get it to work, even after calls to tech support, etc. I could not stand going throug 100+ channels each time I turned on the TV. They do have a favorites setting, but that agin isn't very effective. It is not user friendly. However, if you have a minute, try YTTV for free....even though they nuked a few channels, their guide is super and easy to customize. Best I have found. All the channle arranging happens on your phone or computer and then it impacts your TV. Can just click and drag. And the Spectrum cost game is alive....after 12 months the fee increases automatically.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:38 PM   #47
Crusty

I always like to know a bit about a company's policies and practices before gracing them with my business.

I am not now, nor ever will be, a Spectrum customer. I am on the national "do not call" list. Nevertheless, I receive between 3 and 15 robocalls from Spectrum each and every day, all with spoofed caller ID. If you press "1" (as directed) you are connected to an ESL operator in an off-shore boiler room who attempts to sign you up.

I complained (in a public forum) to Spectrum. They were most apologetic and directed me to a web page where I could specify contact information to be removed. I did. It made no difference whatsoever.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (01-12-2022)
Old 01-11-2022, 06:34 AM   #48
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Streaming Video/Audio

I have a Vizio Quantum P series TV I picked up on a pre-Black Friday special for under a grand. I opt for the Smartcast which has all the channels I used on the Roku Premiere. I had problems with Roku recognizing the TV as a 4K UHD Dolby Vision TV. Built-in Smartcast has no such issues.

Now if we can get Youtube to stream Dolby Atmos, all will be good in the streaming world!
Old 02-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #49
WinnisquamZ

Cut the Dish TV cord today! Streaming Apps with Amazon Prime TV. Have yet to select a live TV service. Did sign up for Magnolia + for the DIY stuff. Should get me through

Old 02-02-2022, 10:44 AM   #50
LakeTimes

Out of curiosity - wondering what people have done to watch the Bruins (On NESN) who have YTTV? I've got YTTV for Lake and Comcast at the house, but am going to do away with Comcast TV shortly.

My only concern is losing Bruins / NESN. I've written YTTV several times to let them know my disappointment in discontinuing the relationship. I know others like Hulu offer it, but then fall short on several other fronts from a channel perspective. There's not 'perfect' Live Local streaming TV service per say and YTTV seems to cover most of our bases. There seems to be Hockey Packages out there, but I get the impression they don't or won't cover ALL the Bruins games and with my luck, the one I want to tune into I won't be able to get.

Anyone experience the same thing and find a decent solution.

(For more context - I'm absolutely not hard set on getting NESN as I don't really watch the Sox all that much or C's - mostly just background if they are on - but B's we do enjoy, hence the question on peoples experiences).
Old 02-02-2022, 12:08 PM   #51
tummyman

I have been with YTTV for over a year now. Love it for its overall package. I also missed the Bruins games. We looked at FUBO but the other content was messy. We also looked at Spectrum Streaming that had a decent package but their user guide is impossible to use. Also, since we are in Moultonborough, Spectrum Streaming signs you up for the Portland based channels and weather, etc. etc. based on being in Carroll County which we were able to avoid using YTTV and then selection the Boston option. Tried the 7 day trial and dumped it in 2 days. So we are mostly stuck with no Bruins except the infrequent times they are on ESPN or one of the major channels. We also wrote to NESN and YTTV to get the channel back but got zero help. In the long run, saving almost $1200 / year by dumping Spectrum and Verizon FIOS cable, we were happy to enjoy the $$ savings. One option that may be worth exploring is ....can you just subscribe to Comcast for a few months of the year and then put it on suspension? I could never find a reasonable work around. But we do love YTTV. Run it on two tv's in MA using ROKU and 2 tv's at the lake using wireless. Never at both places at the same time, so no issues at all. Let us all know if you do find something that works for live Bruins.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #52
LakeTimes

Quote:
I have been with YTTV for over a year now. Love it for its overall package. I also missed the Bruins games. We looked at FUBO but the other content was messy. We also looked at Spectrum Streaming that had a decent package but their user guide is impossible to use. Also, since we are in Moultonborough, Spectrum Streaming signs you up for the Portland based channels and weather, etc. etc. based on being in Carroll County which we were able to avoid using YTTV and then selection the Boston option. Tried the 7 day trial and dumped it in 2 days. So we are mostly stuck with no Bruins except the infrequent times they are on ESPN or one of the major channels. We also wrote to NESN and YTTV to get the channel back but got zero help. In the long run, saving almost $1200 / year by dumping Spectrum and Verizon FIOS cable, we were happy to enjoy the $$ savings. One option that may be worth exploring is ....can you just subscribe to Comcast for a few months of the year and then put it on suspension? I could never find a reasonable work around. But we do love YTTV. Run it on two tv's in MA using ROKU and 2 tv's at the lake using wireless. Never at both places at the same time, so no issues at all. Let us all know if you do find something that works for live Bruins.
I'm in the same exact boat. Comast as Residence, YTTV at Lake House - sick of paying for both and hate Comcast. Plan is to show the door to Comcast TV within the next month or so and use YTTV at both places.

Only other option I've been able to find is to use ESPN+. I honestly dont' mind paying for an additional streaming service with it being only $6.99 per month or getting the full package of ESPN+, Disney+ and Hulu for $13.99 per month which I'm guessing we would use bits and pieces of all three.

My big question is will it give us EVERY Bruins game + Playoffs that aren't shown on one of the following channels (TNT, ESPN or NHL Network). We've got TNT and ESPN with YTTV, so will get those anyways, just don't want it to be spotty if I'm paying for the added service.

Wasn't sure if anyone else has ESPN+ and can validate that they can watch every Bruins game on there or not.

Overall, paying for the service - $6.99 or $13.99 - is FAR cheaper than paying for Comcast's TV portion of my bill which added well over $100 when you add in each of the cable boxes as well.

Link to one of the many sites calling out options: https://www.groundedreason.com/how-t...-bruins-games/
Old 02-02-2022, 03:05 PM   #53
tummyman

Check out this.....looks like NESN has a lot of exclusives...

https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/bost...ed/c-326166382
LakeTimes (02-03-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #54
Cal-to-NH

Sorry Lake Times. 13 out of an 82 game NHL season isn't anything to get fired-up about.

It would be great if NESN was purchasable a-la-carte - it would get you - what - 75 - 80% of the Red Sox and Bruins games??? Can you just buy NESN?

But - I am also hopeful that a successful "String" of pay stations should still be possible, it seems to me, with a 50% - 60% savings. Don't you think it might be possible?
Cal-to-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:30 PM   #55
The Real BigGuy

I think you can subscribe to NESN as a streaming service. I get it at the lake on my Roku although I don’t pay for it because I get it at home thru my Verizon cable

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 10:01 AM   #56
Woodsy

I peeked on the DIRECTV STREAM website and it shows both NESN & NESN+ available on their mid level (89.99) package... I used 03246 for the zip code.

Woodsy
Old 07-27-2022, 08:30 AM   #57
WinnisquamZ

Yesterday evening I took the plunge and signed up for Hulu live TV. I narrowed my choice down to Hulu and YouTube tv. Choose Hulu because 4k is included. With YouTube tv it’s $20 more a month.

Old 07-31-2022, 07:33 PM   #58
lagoon

So I just changed our home service in Nashville, TN to Verizon 5G. I am still in shock. The bill is 1/4 of Comcast and no cables at all. It runs everything we have at once, Comcast was not able to do that. It is still not quite at Winni yet, I think but as soon as it is I will be changing there too.

It is incredibly simple and cheap, especially if you are with Verizon already. They just added the $39 to my phone bill. I was paying like $170 with Comcast. The box just needs to be facing out of a window and then boom you are up and running.
lagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:33 AM   #59
BroadHopper

Default Old TV with Roku

Pretty happy here with one of the first flat screen tv made. The plasma LG works flawlessly with the Roku. I had to get an HDMI to the composite dongle for it to work!

I had 3 TVs. Now I only used one. Must restful sleep at night without the TVs.

I have Netflix which I share with my daughters. In turn, they share their Amazon Prime and Hulu.

Life is good.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:37 AM   #60
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon View Post
So I just changed our home service in Nashville, TN to Verizon 5G. I am still in shock. The bill is 1/4 of Comcast and no cables at all. It runs everything we have at once, Comcast was not able to do that. It is still not quite at Winni yet, I think but as soon as it is I will be changing there too.

It is incredibly simple and cheap, especially if you are with Verizon already. They just added the $39 to my phone bill. I was paying like $170 with Comcast. The box just needs to be facing out of a window and then boom you are up and running.
Verizon is very spotty in Lakes Region. On Lake Winnisquam, I only get 3G service, no 4G. Many have complained and the only solution is voice-over wifi. Not an acceptable solution. Some have switched to AT&T and getting 4G. When Verizon cancels 3G, I may do that. 5G is not available in this area yet.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:31 AM   #61
thinkxingu

I've had very good luck *getting signal* with Verizon, but data access/speed is the worst it's been.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #62
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I've had very good luck *getting signal* with Verizon, but data access/speed is the worst it's been.

Yes, when I try to download something from my phone it sometimes takes forever. Even to check the house camera system.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #63
upthesaukee

Default Speedtest

I ran Speedtest from Okla on my Samsung S7 phone at my house in Alton Bay. Download 29.2 Mbps data used 30.2 MB. Upload 4.42 Mbps data used 6.83 Mb ping 53 ms. Phone wifi turned off.

The detail says the connection was with Hub66 in Center Sandwich. I'm guessing, but can't say for sure, that I connected to Verizon tower here in Alton Bay, 4G with 4bars.

I like Verizon and literally have no problems. The only time I have noticed a slowdown was July 3rd this year just before the fireworks started here in the Bay. I was part of the thousand or more people there.

FWIW

Dave
Old 08-01-2022, 11:35 AM   #64
thinkxingu

Quote:
I ran Speedtest from Okla on my Samsung S7 phone at my house in Alton Bay. Download 29.2 Mbps data used 30.2 MB. Upload 4.42 Mbps data used 6.83 Mb ping 53 ms. Phone wifi turned off.

The detail says the connection was with Hub66 in Center Sandwich. I'm guessing, but can't say for sure, that I connected to Verizon tower here in Alton Bay, 4G with 4bars.

I like Verizon and literally have no problems. The only time I have noticed a slowdown was July 3rd this year just before the fireworks started here in the Bay. I was part of the thousand or more people there.

FWIW

Dave
There's a direct relationship between signal strength/distance and speed. Where I am on Hanson Cove is between two towers, so I'm not sure what, if anything, I/Verizon can do.

Anyone know who to connect with to discuss this?

Old 08-01-2022, 01:21 PM   #65
upthesaukee

Default Speedtest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
There's a direct relationship between signal strength/distance and speed. Where I am on Hanson Cove is between two towers, so I'm not sure what, if anything, I/Verizon can do.

Anyone know who to connect with to discuss this?

So, have you run Speedtest or some other download test service to see your download speeds. Also, go have a cup of coffee near an unobstructed tower and check the speeds there.

Dave
Old 08-01-2022, 01:42 PM   #66
thinkxingu

Quote:
So, have you run Speedtest or some other download test service to see your download speeds. Also, go have a cup of coffee near an unobstructed tower and check the speeds there.

Dave
I have, and it confirms what I'm thinking—that peak usage times have a huge impact when the signal strength to begin with is not super strong.

Peak times + strong signal area = not as slow.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (08-01-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 08:11 AM   #67
loonguy

We are fed up with Spectrum TV and are considering changing to Verizon. Even if Verizon is occasionally sketchy it is unlikely to be worse than Spectrum and will be much less expensive.
loonguy is offline   Reply With Quote