Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2022, 07:22 PM   #1
tummyman

Default Starlink

We are fed up with terrible internet service from Spectrum and we, along with many neighbors, are seriously considering changing to Starlink. We would love to hear about experiences, such as:

Any issues with connections with snow / ice / heavy rain ?
Speed issues...what speeds are you experiencing ?
Can you run streaming services such as YouTube TV, HULU, or FUBO without issues ?
Any problem with a number of devices connected at the same time ?
Is it hard to set up ?
How well does their router work with wireless connections ? Does it have good range indoors ?
What about land line phones....how do you handle?

Last edited by tummyman; 12-25-2022 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added one more question..
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 07:29 PM   #2
Tackleman

Default Starlink

I have had Starlink at our camp in Maine for about 8 months and Love it. It takes about ten minutes from start to finish. Plug it in and your ready to go. You need a lot of open sky to the North with not many tree’s around you. I have never had any issues with it. We stream sling and 4 WiFi cameras with no problem. I get speeds of 220 and 20. I am very happy with it so far.
Tackleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 09:16 AM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default Greener grass?

Those that I've talked to with Starlink like it, but there are occasional, 10's of seconds, disruptions and antenna placement can be an issue if you live in the woods.

I'm surprised at your problem with Spectrum. They are generally reliable and with a base service of 300/10 for $75, is a reasonable deal. If you have speed problems with Spectrum, try a speed test by connecting a laptop directly to the Spectrum modem with an Ethernet cable. It is common for customer's personal router or WiFi equipment to degrade the speed. Reliability can be caused by poor WiFi equipment, causing your devices to disassociate on occasion - but it can also be a Cable issue, either from the pole or inside your house. Spectrum is willing to come out, do signal measurements and change outdoor cables if required. If the problem is an inside problem, it is your responsibility. If you still use your own personally purchased modem, and it is a DOCSIS 3.0, upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.1, now provided free by Spectrum.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:54 AM   #4
tummyman

Our entire M'boro road (20 + residences) has been without internet/phone since Friday. Yet power has been fully on. Some who work from home are lost. Calls to Spectrum have gone nowhere. We have had numerous outages all summer and fall. Spectrum has been less that a responsible provider.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 02:10 PM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Our tech buddy on the north side of Welch considered Starlink and chose HUB66, installed spring 2022. Seems successful with undetermined numbers of devices operating at any given time (club-wide WiFi). Sorry, I don't have specifc numbers. I believe trhs is all available on the Hub66 website, as well as info about antenna locations to see if you can get a line of sight signal.. North Welch connects to Meredith; south Welch connects to Belknap (Gunstock?) Mtn. Our installer said they have a repeater on the south end of Rattlesnake to provide service to the Varney Islands (Barndoor, etc.) They put a repeater on one of our trees to service a neighbor who is too deep in the woods for LOS to the mountain side antenna.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
DotRat (12-26-2022)
Sponsored Links