Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2022, 05:59 PM   #1
hilltopper

Default Seasoned cord wood price

Curious as to what folks are paying for seasoned cord wood this year (pre-split and delivered). I’m paying $375/cord which was a shock to the system. A quick web search suggests this price is about average or maybe a bit better than average. Wood is not my primary heat source. Hoping that fuel oil estimations of $8 to $9 per gallon this winter are overstated!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:13 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

I was quoted $450 a cord plus a $45 delivery charge on top of that from two different dealers one month ago

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:27 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
I was quoted $450 a cord plus a $45 delivery charge on top of that from two different dealers one month ago

Holy smokes, where you ordering it from? This criminal?! https://www.firewoodguy.com/menu.cfm

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by thinkxingu; 09-01-2022 at 07:44 PM.
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:02 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

Both local dealers who advertise in the LDS

Old 09-02-2022, 09:06 AM   #5
Stilljester

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
….I’m paying $375/cord which was a shock to the system. A quick web search suggests this price is about average or maybe a bit better than average.
Similar to what I paid for a cord delivered.
Stilljester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2022, 09:10 AM   #6
8gv

At some point furniture will be cheaper to burn.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #7
magicrobotmonkey

Luckily I locked in my 3 cord at $300 in the spring... let's see how the delivery tomorrow goes...
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 09:17 AM   #8
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
At some point furniture will be cheaper to burn.
Done that

Old 09-02-2022, 10:20 AM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I have a tree that needs cutting down. With what they are getting for wood maybe someone will pay me to let them have it!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:00 PM   #10
SailinAway

Default I seriously suggest bartering for wood

We know very well that SOMEONE is profiting from inflation, showing that today's high prices aren't necessary. When things get to extremes---gas $5 a gallon, wood $450 a cord, etc.---it's the opportune time to quit the money-for-goods-and-services economy altogether and barter your skills, time, energy, and unneeded goods. I recently bartered my professional time (quasi legal services), the infamous Toro single-stage snowblower, and a high-wheeled trimmer-mower for home repairs, 3/4 of a cord of dry, cut and split firewood, and cutting and splitting a maple tree. No money was exchanged and I gained a friend and garage space in the bargain. I couldn't be happier. I bet everyone here has skills and goods you could exchange for wood. Do like our colonial ancestors did. Of course, your source for wood has to be someone who is equally interested in sidestepping the inflated fleecing economy.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #11
SailinAway

Default Another tip: Asplundh tree cutting

Codeman 671 posted this in another thread: "Asplundh Tree Service stopped at my house in Gilford, near Ames Farm on Friday. They are doing tree clearing for Consolidated Communications. Consolidated is stringing the area with fiber (Fidium) in the near future." A tip someone gave me is to follow those Asplundh trucks around with your chainsaw and pickup, and ask them if you can have the trees.

CORRECTION: Referring to trees not on private property. Thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by SailinAway; 09-04-2022 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-04-2022, 04:25 PM   #12
John Mercier

The tree service cannot give permission to take the wood.
You would need to find the landowner and ask them for permission.

The reason some prices are falling is due to lower demand.
A green cord purchased in the spring, or even last fall, and allowed to season in your own yard would be cheaper.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 05:09 PM   #13
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Codeman 671 posted this in another thread: "Asplundh Tree Service stopped at my house in Gilford, near Ames Farm on Friday. They are doing tree clearing for Consolidated Communications. Consolidated is stringing the area with fiber (Fidium) in the near future." A tip someone gave me is to follow those Asplundh trucks around with your chainsaw and pickup, and ask them if you can have the trees.
John is correct. If the tree company cut a useful tree along my frontage, I would legally own the wood. They would have an obligation to notify me. If I said that to just take it away, then they could offer it up. However if you just came along and took the wood that I own, that would be petty theft.

Alan
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
MBNeckguy (09-04-2022), upthesaukee (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 08:34 PM   #14
SailinAway

Yes, I agree about trees cut on private land. But Asplundh also cuts trees and branches in the town right of way or on town land. Those might be available for public use. Also, I sometimes see large hardwood trees at the town transfer station. I sure hope those get used by someone who needs them.

Off topic, but: In my experience, Asplundh/Eversource doesn't really distinguish between private property and town property. Obligation to notify you? HAHAHA! I can tell you what will have zero effect: Telling Asplundh or Eversource etc., "Do not cut or trim trees on my property without my permission." Also: having that entered into their written notes carried by the foreman. And: making a complaint when they cut your trees anyway. About the only thing that will cure the problem: taking photos of the Asplundh workers feeding your beautiful walnut into the chipper.

One day I looked out the window and saw Asplundh trimming my trees. I asked them what they were doing. They said, "We're trimming your neighbor's trees. He said we could."
Old 09-04-2022, 08:48 PM   #15
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
The reason some prices are falling is due to lower demand. A green cord purchased in the spring, or even last fall, and allowed to season in your own yard would be cheaper.
Lower demand for wood? Why would that be? I would think the demand for wood would be very strong right now.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:35 PM   #16
John Mercier

Quote:
Yes, I agree about trees cut on private land. But Asplundh also cuts trees and branches in the town right of way or on town land. Those might be available for public use. Also, I sometimes see large hardwood trees at the town transfer station. I sure hope those get used by someone who needs them.

Off topic, but: In my experience, Asplundh/Eversource doesn't really distinguish between private property and town property. Obligation to notify you? HAHAHA! I can tell you what will have zero effect: Telling Asplundh or Eversource etc., "Do not cut or trim trees on my property without my permission." Also: having that entered into their written notes carried by the foreman. And: making a complaint when they cut your trees anyway. About the only thing that will cure the problem: taking photos of the Asplundh workers feeding your beautiful walnut into the chipper.

One day I looked out the window and saw Asplundh trimming my trees. I asked them what they were doing. They said, "We're trimming your neighbor's trees. He said we could."
Prices for items other than wood and heating fuel (though that seems to have come down a bit from the June highs) have come down.

The ROW is for the road... it does not mean the town owns the property nor anything on it.
Even along the highway.

Last edited by John Mercier; 09-04-2022 at 10:25 PM.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 05:14 AM   #17
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I agree about trees cut on private land. But Asplundh also cuts trees and branches in the town right of way or on town land. Those might be available for public use.
Sorry but trees cut on the town right of way are the legal property of the abutting landowner.

Alan
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:24 AM   #18
I.C.Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Sorry but trees cut on the town right of way are the legal property of the abutting landowner.

Alan
Yes, but a majority of homeowners would want the trees removed from their property that were trimmed or cut. If a tree fell on my property I would be grateful to anyone that would remove it free of charge for the wood.

I.C.Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:35 AM   #19
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission."

Just kidding!

In the case of down trees that I might like for firewood, I just drop a note in the mailbox closest to the wood with my number and an offer to come grab it. About 80% of the time, I hear back from people glad to let me have it.

Interestingly, there is a pile of wood on a street not far from camp with a "NOT FREE!" sign on it.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote