Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 11:32 AM   #1
SailinAway

Default More adventures with woodstoves!

OK, I know I've worn out my welcome a hundred times over, but I have another heating mystery.

I had the pipe on my woodstove replaced and the door latch fixed three days ago. Latch now closes well and door gasket is tight to stove. Furnace cement was used on the pipe joints. A damper was installed in the pipe over my strong objections and against the manufacturer's clear instructions not to install a damper.

The cement smoked visibly and had a strong odor for about an hour; then that subsided. However, I'm getting a smell of smoke in the house that wasn't present at any point prior to this. Right now I have windows open because the indoor air quality is so poor. I have a headache every day. This cannot be good for one's health.

I believe the smell is wood smoke rather than the furnace cement. There is no visible smoke coming from the joints.

Yes, the damper is in the horizontal position. Still, I'm wondering if a damper installed on a stove that's not supposed to have one could have a harmful effect, even when it's fully open. Below is a photo of the setup.

Any idea what could be causing this poor indoor air? The only other clue I have is that to create the holes for the damper rod, the guy used a 22 pistol. Hence the rod is bent slightly.

Name:  Woodstove.JPG
Views: 1545
Size:  149.0 KB
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (12-09-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 11:39 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Wow

"The only other clue I have is that to create the holes for the damper rod, the guy used a 22 pistol."

Did the guy really do this?? If he did I would trust none of his other work...

To try and help you out...if its wood you are smelling, most likely a leak around the thimble. I also see blackness on your brick just above the 12:00 o'clock position of your thimble ring. Leak could be coming from there...

Wow...still cant get over the 22 logic!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 12-07-2022 at 12:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (12-09-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 12:01 PM   #3
pondguy

I would not take a chance with any of this I would just use your thermostat and bite the bullet {no pun intended} and pay for the oil.
Old 12-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #4
ApS

Red face Bullet Hole Experiments at Work...What Fun!

I've called the fire department to locate smoke coming out of my house.

Maybe give them a call?

While experimenting with holes in sheet metal, I found a 22 pistol will make 32 caliber holes!
Old 12-07-2022, 01:31 PM   #5
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
"The only other clue I have is that to create the holes for the damper rod, the guy used a 22 pistol." Did the guy really do this?? If he did I would trust none of his other work... To try and help you out...if its wood you are smelling, most likely a leak around the thimble. I also see blackness on your brick just above the 12:00 o'clock position of your thimble ring. Leak could be coming from there...Wow...still cant get over the 22 logic! Dan
Yes, seriously, that happened. Not on my property though, believe me. He did it at his house after I told him firmly that I didn't want a damper. He arrived with the assembled pipe with damper as a fait accompli.

Looking at the discoloration on the wall, it seems like what you would expect after 50 years of a woodstove in that location. However, the thimble ring is not attached in any way. Is it purely decorative?

Below are photos of where the pipe enters the wall. Is it possible there's not enough cement on the left side? Also, in the first photo there does appear to be a space in the joint below one of the screws.

Name:  P1010641.JPG
Views: 1328
Size:  146.5 KB

Name:  P1010639.JPG
Views: 1290
Size:  148.0 KB
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2022, 01:38 PM   #6
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondguy View Post
I would not take a chance with any of this I would just use your thermostat and bite the bullet {no pun intended} and pay for the oil.
I had a similar thought this morning and did some math. I had the thought of selling all my wood and using the proceeds to buy oil. Right now oil is twice as expensive as wood (for the cost to heat my house), so that idea is out.
Old 12-07-2022, 02:39 PM   #7
Poor Richard

If you have a level, I'd check that horizontal stove pipe. If the bubble doesn't head toward the brick wall, that's part of the problem.

For whatever it's worth, all my stove pipe is dry fit and there aren't any leaks to speak of. Don't quite know what to make of the cement products being used in you application
The Following User Says Thank You to Poor Richard For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #8
SAB1

Like above I’ve never used pipe cement. How are you intending to take this apart for cleaning? I think I would call or stop by your local stove shop and ask them for some help.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (12-08-2022)
Old 12-07-2022, 08:15 PM   #9
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
If you have a level, I'd check that horizontal stove pipe. If the bubble doesn't head toward the brick wall, that's part of the problem.

For whatever it's worth, all my stove pipe is dry fit and there aren't any leaks to speak of. Don't quite know what to make of the cement products being used in you application
You're smart! I was wondering the same thing about the slope of the pipe. It's supposed to rise 1/4" per foot. I'll see if I have a level.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:18 PM   #10
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
Like above I’ve never used pipe cement. How are you intending to take this apart for cleaning? I think I would call or stop by your local stove shop and ask them for some help.
I called a stove shop in Meredith. The gentleman said the pipes don't need any cement around the joints or at the wall, because the smoke rises. He said, "You could shoot the pipe full of holes and the smoke would go up the chimney." You make a good point about cleaning.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:05 AM   #11
pondguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
I had a similar thought this morning and did some math. I had the thought of selling all my wood and using the proceeds to buy oil. Right now oil is twice as expensive as wood (for the cost to heat my house), so that idea is out.
I'm sure your oil company has a budget plan where you make a monthly payment based on todays prices and your past usage, It's worth a phone call rather than a smoke problem or a fire. Frugal is good safe is better.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:18 AM   #12
Merrymeeting

Quote:
A damper was installed in the pipe over my strong objections and against the manufacturer's clear instructions not to install a damper.
So much here doesn't make sense. I've been running a wood stove all winter for decades. Never had cement on the joints. If the chimney is drafting correctly, shouldn't be needed. In fact I recently discovered that my pipe had partially pulled out of the chimney opening (yes, immediately fixed) and yet it still drafted fine and didn't put any smoke into the house.

Yes, the thimble where the pipe enters the chimney is decorative only.

Finally, I don't get the quote above. If you told him you didn't want it, why did he do it? Perhaps more directly, why did you let him. It serves no purpose in your setup.

I'd recommend you hire someone who knows what they are doing to rip it all out, start with new pipe (it's not that expensive) and get it installed correctly.
Old 12-08-2022, 08:18 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Not good.

Hindsight being 20-20, I really wish you had walked away from the installer who insisted on installing the damper. Not only is it contrary to the manufacturer's instructions, it probably was an unnecessary increase in installation costs. Lesson learned, I guess.

Dave
Old 12-08-2022, 09:41 AM   #14
Susie Cougar

Quote:
I called a stove shop in Meredith. The gentleman said the pipes don't need any cement around the joints or at the wall, because the smoke rises. He said, "You could shoot the pipe full of holes and the smoke would go up the chimney." You make a good point about cleaning.
Does this shop do inspections? The more that I read, the more I get nervous you’re going to end up with a house fire. You definitely need to get someone who knows what he is doing and not try to use your woodstove until it is fixed.

Back in the late 1970s we bought a Victorian home in Old Town, Maine. it was built in the 1870s and it had no insulation and the curtains would actually move when it was windy outside. After going through the first winter and spending a fortune on oil, we decided we needed to put in a woodstove. We bought a nice Vermont Castings stove, had a nice brick hearth built to put it on and it was done perfectly. But no one thought about cleaning the chimney.

My husband is a huge New York Jets fan. The only way he could ever hear a Jets game was to go out in the car and sit in the driveway and listen to the static on the radio. He was in the car one day and a woman knocked on his window. He was really enjoying his game and rolled the window down to see what she wanted. She said she was sorry to interrupt him but that our chimney was on fire!

What happened next was like a scene from the Keystone Cops. The fire station was only one block away and we heard them coming up the street and drove right by. My husband was out chasing them. When they got to the house they realized they didn’t have any more flares because they used them on the last chimney fire and they forgot to re-order. The only thing they could do to keep the whole house from burning down was shoot water from the hose down the chimney but there was a possibility that the whole thing would crack. We had no choice. They put the fire out and the chimney was fine. We used that woodstove for all the years we were there. One year, we actually burned five cords of wood. But we learned the lesson,
Don’t mess with fire!
Old 12-08-2022, 09:43 AM   #15
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Hold a match or candle flame near the damper hole. The draft should pull the tip of the flame into the hole.

Alan
Old 12-08-2022, 12:13 PM   #16
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor Richard View Post
I checked this this morning with a level. The pitch appears correct. Thanks for that reminder, Poor Richard.

I just want to remind folks that there's no surprise in this situation if you've read my past posts. I know y'all are aghast, but there are an awful lot of senior citizens living alone who can't afford to get "good" home maintenance, so we make do with what we have and who we can afford. I know I appear inept, but you would be surprised at how much I DO do on my property, for a woman of my age. I make well-reasoned decisions after gathering a lot of information. Also, we are in a period of economic distress that must be impacting millions of home owners. So again, it's not surprising that people turn to less-than-ideal home maintenance solutions. I don't neglect situations that pose a risk to the house. In the present case, there is no danger of fire, no flames shooting out of the flue pipe (that happened once on the furnace, though), so calmez-vous, s'il vous plaît. As always, I greatly appreciate all the good information I've gotten from the wise and skilled people here.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (12-12-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 12:19 PM   #17
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Hold a match or candle flame near the damper hole. The draft should pull the tip of the flame into the hole.

Alan
Do you mean the hole in the pipe for the damper rod? I did that. The flame flickered but I wouldn't say it was pulled toward the hold.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:15 PM   #18
ApS

Lightbulb Oversized Pipe, Smoke, and Occam's Razor...

Quote:
Any idea what could be causing this poor indoor air? The only other clue I have is that to create the holes for the damper rod, the guy used a 22 pistol. Hence the rod is bent slightly.
1) Our Irish "Trinity III" woodstove is nearly twice as big, yet our six-inch pipe has worked quite well for 25 years. Your undetermined starting stovepipe is pictured adapting to an even larger pipe behind the bricks. (Bricks which I hope, are not of the hollow variety).

2) Only because I had a free damper, did I install one. It was omitted during a recent retrofit--with no gain of function detected--ever. I'd remove yours.

3) Our local Florida fire department used some kind of portable smoke/heat device to determine my smoke issue. The smoke was caused by sparks from a grinding operation which entered a seam into the roof's interior. (I'd soaked the area, but some combustion was still evident).

4) My concern would be that NH's Fire Departments may refer fines for code violations, which tend to become increasingly restrictive. (Canada's even more so).

BTW, should a fire start burning the creosote inside the pipe, the "fix" is to shut all the airflow into the stove. (Similar to closing the hood on an automobile's engine fire).
Old 12-08-2022, 01:23 PM   #19
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Do you mean the hole in the pipe for the damper rod? I did that. The flame flickered but I wouldn't say it was pulled toward the hold.
Yes that hole in the pipe. If the stove was up to temp then it looks like a poor draft situation. That could be your primary issue with poor stove performance.

If the stove was cold then you may need to heat the flue at startup to get a good draft going and prevent initial smoke blow back. Prior to lighting the kindling place crumbled paper on top, light and keep door cracked to get a good draft going then light the kindling.

Alan
Old 12-08-2022, 04:19 PM   #20
Poor Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
BTW, should a fire start burning the creosote inside the pipe, the "fix" is to shut all the airflow into the stove.
I'd like to add to this, a suggestion to pour a bunch of water directly onto the coals then shut the air vents (leave the flue damper open).

You'll have a mess of ash, wet coals and water to deal with after but the shot of steam may prevent the chimney from burning up completely.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:45 PM   #21
NH.Solar

My belief is that the interior pollution you are suffering has nothing to do with your stove or its installation, the problem lies with your chimney design and performance. The chimney and its performance is the key player for successful wood burning and too often ignored!
Is the top of your flue at least a couple of feet higher than anything with in ten feet? Are you sharing the flue with any other heating appliances? (strickly illegal, but still I favor having wood stoves on tow different levels hooked into the same flue). And lastly if your home has a large rectangular opening to accommodate all of your chimney needs, consider installing dedicated chimney piping for each need and maybe even having a poured superflue put into placeto service your woodstove.
The Following User Says Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-08-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 10:40 PM   #22
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH.Solar View Post
My belief is that the interior pollution you are suffering has nothing to do with your stove or its installation, the problem lies with your chimney design and performance.
Air was fine until the flue pipe was changed.
Old 12-08-2022, 11:45 PM   #23
ITD

That cement will give off an odor for a while, so will the stove if it's new, or for the first few burns of the season. If the chimney was a problem your smoke/ co alarm would be sounding. I suspect you are a little sensitive as this seems new to you. I bet the local fire department would come and check the install for you if you called them on the business line. The damper really doesn't matter if it's there or not. In fact, in the spring and summer it's probably a good thing, you can close it to help keep that creosote smell out of the house.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 06:35 AM   #24
ApS

Red face Learning with Three Woodstoves in Three Different Houses...

Quote:
'Hoping that's six-inch pipe you've got there.

To avoid a 90° turn in the pipe, I installed two 45° pipe sections for my antique parlor stove. (Cast in 1873--isinglass windows--burns wood and coal).

The draw (draft) is so good, the stove's front door can be left open even when starting the fire with less-than-perfect kindling. No smoke inside.

I once spray-painted my third stove. It took three "burns" to get the odor out.
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
NH.Solar (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 08:32 AM   #25
SAB1

I’ll bite, when is the last time the chimney was cleaned? We’re there issues prior to replacing the pipe?
Old 12-09-2022, 09:25 AM   #26
ishoot308

Here’s a dumb question…Your picture shows the damper KNOB in the correct open position. Do you in fact know that your guy with the 22 and splice cement installed the damper correctly on the damper rod? Maybe the damper is 90 degrees off and is actually closed….

Just a thought…

Dan
jbolty (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 11:04 AM   #27
SailinAway

Quote:
I’ll bite, when is the last time the chimney was cleaned? We’re there issues prior to replacing the pipe?
No issues with smoke prior to replacing the pipe. The chimney has only been cleaned three times in 28 years. Every time the guy said there was almost nothing to clean. I had not used the stove in years prior to last March. They guy with the 22 is supposed to clean it.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #28
SailinAway

Quote:
Here’s a dumb question…Your picture shows the damper KNOB in the correct open position. Do you in fact know that your guy with the 22 and splice cement installed the damper correctly on the damper rod? Maybe the damper is 90 degrees off and is actually closed…. Just a thought…
I believe it's correct. We tested it and it was operating properly.

UPDATE: I think there may have been an improvement in the smoke smell, so maybe the problem was the cement after all?
Old 12-09-2022, 11:16 AM   #29
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Not at all a silly question. Was thinking that myself. Cleaned and has anyone verified it has a clear path. Birds nest, dead squirrel, stuck robbers!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 12-09-2022, 11:23 AM   #30
pondguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Not at all a silly question. Was thinking that myself. Cleaned and has anyone verified it has a clear path. Birds nest, dead squirrel, stuck robbers!

Maybe Santa!
The Following User Says Thank You to pondguy For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 02:32 PM   #31
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
I always check the chimney with a mirror before lighting the first fire of the season.
Old 12-09-2022, 02:34 PM   #32
SailinAway

Quote:
Maybe Santa!
HAHA! Where is Santa when you need him?
Old 12-09-2022, 02:36 PM   #33
SailinAway

Quote:
'Hoping that's six-inch pipe you've got there.
Ayuh, ayuh.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:32 AM   #34
fatlazyless

Maybe take a look at a Vacu-Stack chimney cap review ..... an unusual chimney cap device that supposedly will increase the chimney draft without using an electric fan.

Using the magical power of thermo-dynamic wind resistance energy it will power up the draft draw as it sits atop the chimney, or something!

Comes in many sizes to fit every chimney ever made since chimneys were first invented .... www.woodlanddirect.com/high-wind-chimney-caps/

Like, when nothing else works ..... maybe worth a try? ..... the VACU-STACK chimney cap ...... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiNduld4jhY ..... as seen on TV .... beep-beep-beep ...... !

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-10-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:01 AM   #35
SailinAway

I can't take the smoke in my house any longer. It's affecting my breathing. What kind of person would I call to take a look at this and figure out what the problem is?

To reiterate, I had NO problems with indoor air quality prior to the pipe replacement.
Old 12-16-2022, 11:06 AM   #36
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
I can't take the smoke in my house any longer. It's affecting my breathing. What kind of person would I call to take a look at this and figure out what the problem is?

To reiterate, I had NO problems with indoor air quality prior to the pipe replacement.
Fire and Stone has a good reputation. Please keep us all updated

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 12:04 PM   #37
Susie Cougar

Yes, please keep us posted. You do not need to be breathing that bad air any longer.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:32 PM   #38
ApS

Lightbulb D.i.Y.

Your already marginal draft seems to have been further reduced with the addition of the unwanted damper--and especially the guesswork holes. If that section is a standard length of stovepipe, I'd replace it, and save the expense of a repairman.

Hopefully, your last repairman didn't install an ash screen at the top!
Old 12-16-2022, 12:40 PM   #39
John Mercier

It would be nice to discover where it leaks.
Old 12-16-2022, 12:58 PM   #40
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Your already marginal draft seems to have been further reduced with the addition of the unwanted damper--and especially the guesswork holes. If that section is a standard length of stovepipe, I'd replace it, and save the expense of a repairman.

Hopefully, your last repairman didn't install an ash screen at the top!
I’m sorry but I don’t agree with you. She needs to get someone in there who knows what they are doing. She doesn’t need any more suggestions about how to do it herself. She can’t breathe!
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 02:16 PM   #41
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I’m sorry but I don’t agree with you. She needs to get someone in there who knows what they are doing. She doesn’t need any more suggestions about how to do it herself. She can’t breathe!
I agree with this, it's been quite a while of putting up with this, get her fixed.
Old 12-17-2022, 06:14 AM   #42
pondguy

Shut the woodstove down, turn up the thermostat and run the hot water heater 1 hour a day. Problem solved, time to be safe.
Old 12-17-2022, 10:54 AM   #43
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I missed this thread as I had Tapatalk on "participated" rather than "timeline," but:

1. Smoke is different than smell.
2. Smells don't affect breathing.
3. We've said before that your stove is either not functioning properly because of its draft/seal or quality of wood, which means you've had a problem all along.
4. This is absolutely a "penny-wise, pound-foolish" scenario because you're now running not only into more service costs but the very real potential of health issues.

Call a professional and spend the money to get that stove working properly and safely

OR

Shut it down and figure out a way to pay the few extra dollars (since there's already a cost involved).

It may be time to seek out a part-time job or heating assistance, but something has to change.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2022, 11:03 AM   #44
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I missed this thread as I had Tapatalk on "participated" rather than "timeline," but:

1. Smoke is different than smell.
2. Smells don't affect breathing.
3. We've said before that your stove is either not functioning properly because of its draft/seal or quality of wood, which means you've had a problem all along.
4. This is absolutely a "penny-wise, pound-foolish" scenario because you're now running not only into more service costs but the very real potential of health issues.

Call a professional and spend the money to get that stove working properly and safely

OR

Shut it down and figure out a way to pay the few extra dollars (since there's already a cost involved).

It may be time to seek out a part-time job or heating assistance, but something has to change.

think, I agree with everything you say here except the fact that she should maybe get a part-time job? Heating assistance is a good idea, but I don’t think they give you that much.

You do realize she is a senior citizen? She is also living with disabilities.
Old 12-17-2022, 11:05 AM   #45
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
think, I agree with everything you say here except the fact that she should maybe get a part-time job? Heating assistance is a good idea, but I don’t think they give you that much.

You do realize she is a senior citizen? She is also living with disabilities.
I know that she's capable enough to process firewood

and

Making decisions to save money that might kill her.

I stand by my suggestions.

Old 12-17-2022, 11:33 AM   #46
John Mercier

I'm just wondering why the installer went from what appears to be six to eight at the elbow, and then ran such a long horizontal relative to the vertical?

Couldn't find the appropriate 6-8 increaser?

I would expect to see that at the wall, then the 6 elbow, and then the short vertical connection to the stove collar.

Actual smoke in the house, rather than residual should set of the smoke detectors.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 08:30 PM   #47
SailinAway

Thinkxingu, you've gone from mansplaining to social worker. Please keep the discussion technical (woodstoves), not personal. I work, I'm not disabled. I'm old enough to make my own decisions. You used to funny, Thinkxingu. Not so much anymore.

Last edited by SailinAway; 12-17-2022 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:47 PM   #48
thinkxingu

Quote:
People, people, calm down for goodness sake. Thinkxingu, you've gone from mansplaining to social worker. I will email you, and then wait for your public apology, since you've called me out in public. Shame, shame. The discussion is technical (woodstoves), not personal, please.

What do y'all consider old? 70 is the new 40, didn't you hear? What's this about disabled, for crying out loud??? What are these rumors?? Cease and desist.
Mansplaining? If by that you mean "answering questions you had no idea about" then, yes—guilty as charged.

As for social worker, you're literally cutting things so thin that you're risking frozen pipes, Legionnaire's Disease, smoke inhalation/poisoning, etc. etc.

Finally, let's not forget why your last electric bill was $55. You're welcome.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:30 PM   #49
Lakeboater

Default CO and Smoke detectors

Please make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors and smoke detectors on every level of your home. Some fire departments will provide and install them. Good luck with your stove
Old 12-18-2022, 03:15 PM   #50
SailinAway

Quote:
Mansplaining? If by that you mean "answering questions you had no idea about" then, yes—guilty as charged. As for social worker, you're literally cutting things so thin that you're risking frozen pipes, Legionnaire's Disease, smoke inhalation/poisoning, etc. etc. Finally, let's not forget why your last electric bill was $55. You're welcome.
Hopefully you can answer questions about things like woodstoves without demeaning me publicly. You seem to fall apart when I don't cave in to your pressure to do things your way. If that causes you distress, there are obvious solutions.
Old 12-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #51
thinkxingu

Quote:
Hopefully you can answer questions about things like woodstoves without demeaning me publicly. You seem to fall apart when I don't cave in to your pressure to do things your way. If that causes you distress, there are obvious solutions.
I'm sorry if I'm being demeaning, but that was not my intent—as mentioned above and in other threads by myself and others, much of what you're doing is no joke.

Good luck.

Old 12-18-2022, 04:41 PM   #52
SailinAway

Quote:
Shut the woodstove down, turn up the thermostat and run the hot water heater 1 hour a day. Problem solved, time to be safe.
Great minds think alike. I came to the same conclusion and have done all three. I will continue working to solve these problems, but these are the best interim solutions.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:59 PM   #53
SailinAway

Quote:
I'm sorry if I'm being demeaning, but that was not my intent—as mentioned above and in other threads by myself and others, much of what you're doing is no joke.
Best get off your high horse before you break your neck.
Old 12-18-2022, 05:13 PM   #54
thinkxingu

Quote:
Best get off your high horse before you break your neck.
I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's clearly time to go our separate ways.

Please stop messaging me asking for more info, and we'll put this to bed.

Again, good luck.

Old 12-26-2022, 12:47 PM   #55
SailinAway

Quote:
I'm sorry you feel that way, but it's clearly time to go our separate ways. Please stop messaging me asking for more info, and we'll put this to bed.
My last messages to you were about my $50 refer-a-friend reward from Direct Energy that mistakenly ended up in your account. Since you think I'm poor, it would be good if you didn't keep that credit for yourself. Just call Direct Energy and let them know about the error and they will correct it. I gave you all the information you need to identify the payment.
Old 12-26-2022, 01:14 PM   #56
thinkxingu

Quote:
My last messages to you were about my $50 refer-a-friend reward from Direct Energy that mistakenly ended up in your account. Since you think I'm poor, it would be good if you didn't keep that credit for yourself. Just call Direct Energy and let them know about the error and they will correct it. I gave you all the information you need to identify the payment.
We went through this via IM and I shared the conversation I had with Direct Energy where they said they don't give out personal info. I had a few friends sign up as well, so there's no way to tell on my end whose credit I'm getting.

If your friend wants to work with Direct Energy since it's his/her account, that's on him/her, but you've decided where this friendship has gone so I'm done.

Old 12-26-2022, 05:28 PM   #57
SailinAway

Quote:
We went through this via IM and I shared the conversation I had with Direct Energy where they said they don't give out personal info. I had a few friends sign up as well, so there's no way to tell on my end whose credit I'm getting.
Direct Energy doesn't need to give out any information. You simply need to tell them that Person X was my referral, not yours. Direct Energy already told me that you were credited for Person X.
Old 12-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #58
thinkxingu

Quote:
Direct Energy doesn't need to give out any information. You simply need to tell them that Person X was my referral, not yours. Direct Energy already told me that you were credited for Person X.
When I asked Direct Energy who my credit was for they told me they couldn't tell me and that it was up to the person who referred to confirm the right person got it.

I spent over an hour waiting online and on that chat, and I shared the process with you a couple weeks back through PMs. I'm not doing anything else. Your friend made the mistake, it's up to her/him to deal with it.

Old 12-26-2022, 07:54 PM   #59
SailinAway

I made the mistake, not my friend, because I didn't understand the referral system. Have fun with my $50! You have no shame.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:11 PM   #60
Susie Cougar

Quote:
When I asked Direct Energy who my credit was for they told me they couldn't tell me and that it was up to the person who referred to confirm the right person got it.

I spent over an hour waiting online and on that chat, and I shared the process with you a couple weeks back through PMs. I'm not doing anything else. Your friend made the mistake, it's up to her/him to deal with it.

Why are you making such a big deal about this? If you know it was her referral, just give her the $50.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:25 PM   #61
ishoot308

Quote:
I made the mistake, not my friend, because I didn't understand the referral system. Have fun with my $50! You have no shame.
Honestly sailin why don’t you take this offline…this “thing” you have with Think is really not what this forum is about… stop poking the bear and just give it a rest… take a deep breath and just simply MOVE ON….

Now, let’s get back to our regularly scheduled program!

Happy New Year Everyone!

Dan
jbolty (12-27-2022), pondguy (12-27-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 08:40 PM   #62
SailinAway

Quote:
Honestly sailin why don’t you take this offline
Thinkxingu commanded me to not message him. He made untrue public statements about me which I have corrected. If a forum member cheats you, I hope you will share that information.
Old 12-26-2022, 08:48 PM   #63
ishoot308

Quote:
Thinkxingu commanded me to not message him.
Listen, I know Think, he is a great guy…whatever happened between you and Think doesn’t matter “HERE” and diminishes the forum and its purpose. Just relax and realize this is just an Internet forum. Stop trying to get the last word or whatever point your trying to make as it just does not matter…

Have a great, happy and safe New Year!

Dan
Old 12-26-2022, 08:56 PM   #64
thinkxingu

I had a long response here, but I've deleted it and will let my history of posts on this forum dictate my reputation.

Sorry for the mess, all.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:22 PM   #65
SailinAway

What's that you say? You don't like being maligned publicly, you "great guy"? Gosh, neither do other people. I don't appreciate you portraying me as unemployed and needing welfare. I've been employed in the same professional trade for 25 years.

Apparently you don't have a lot of insight into your conduct. Where do you get this assumption that you're smarter than everyone else and hence you have a right to judge people's personal decisions and tell them what to do?? You've been here a long time and you have a lot of posts? Does that give you certain privileges, like disrespecting people or cheating them? You know very well that my friend used your referral code. Direct Energy confirmed it to me and I told you. Therefore you received $50 from my referral, in addition to the $50 you made off me joining.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:35 PM   #66
thinkxingu

I've had FOUR people I know for sure use my referral code, not including Sailin or her friend. Until now, I've only received ONE, with the promise of only TWO actually fulfilled.

This is because the program, as Sailin knows, was on hold for most of the last few months.

There is no confirmation that the code was Sailin's friend, I cannot get confirmation whose signups I might get credit for, AND there are far more friend signups who have used my referral code than I have received credits for.

Attached is a screenshot of my chat with Direct Energy for anyone who wishes to doubt my story.

Again: I stand by my posts and reputation here.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:40 PM   #67
SailinAway

Quote:
Listen, I know Think, he is a great guy…whatever happened between you and Think doesn’t matter “HERE.”
It matters if someone solicits a forum member with a PM inviting them to do something involving money, and then exploits that person.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:44 PM   #68
SailinAway

Your screenshot proves beyond any doubt that you collected $50 from my friend's referral. She signed up on AUGUST 21 using YOUR code.
Old 12-26-2022, 09:50 PM   #69
thinkxingu

Quote:
It matters if someone solicits a forum member with a PM inviting them to do something involving money, and then exploits that person.
Exploits?!
I. Saved. You. A. Lot. Of. Money.

I will not be responding any more. As I said above, good luck.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:56 PM   #70
SailinAway

Sure, what I said in the post that you pasted was true. As you can see, I thanked you publicly and privately. That doesn't give you the right to keep what is not rightfully yours. That's exploitation. Now that you know the date that my friend used your code, there's no more denying the truth. I can even tell you your code number.
Closed Thread