Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2022, 01:04 PM   #1
thebix

Default Christmas Tree Sales

Looking for places to buy a pre-cut Christmas sales in/nearby Laconia. We've used Maggie-D 's the past few years and like her charity donation from the proceeds. But she is not doing trees this year.

We were planning to go to the Fireside Inn parking lot for the Rotary Club sale today, but it seems they ended sales last Sunday! Wonder why they close so early, December is just starting!

The only other place I know of pre-cut sales (outside of expensive garden centers) is at Tanger in Tilton.

Any other places we could try today?

Is the 'tree farm' on Roller Coaster Road doing trees? We used them a few years ago, but they've been closed recently.

Certainly prefer some place where the profits benefit a charity.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #2
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebix View Post
Looking for places to buy a pre-cut Christmas sales in/nearby Laconia. We've used Maggie-D 's the past few years and like her charity donation from the proceeds. But she is not doing trees this year.

We were planning to go to the Fireside Inn parking lot for the Rotary Club sale today, but it seems they ended sales last Sunday! Wonder why they close so early, December is just starting!

The only other place I know of pre-cut sales (outside of expensive garden centers) is at Tanger in Tilton.

Any other places we could try today?

Is the 'tree farm' on Roller Coaster Road doing trees? We used them a few years ago, but they've been closed recently.

Certainly prefer some place where the profits benefit a charity.
I am not sure whether the profits benefit a charity, but we went to Appletree Nursery right next to Pirate's Cover near the Mosquito Bridge and were very happy. They had an awesome selection of nice trees. They also had wreaths and other related items. Good luck!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:22 AM   #3
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I am not sure whether the profits benefit a charity, but we went to Appletree Nursery right next to Pirate's Cover near the Mosquito Bridge and were very happy. They had an awesome selection of nice trees. They also had wreaths and other related items. Good luck!
Curious, how are tree prices this season? Since I burn wood on most days we gave up the live tree many years back. Didn’t need a Clark Grisswall moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:53 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Alton Home & Garden had trees two days ago, not a charity benefit.
603-875-3900

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:04 PM   #5
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Curious, how are tree prices this season? Since I burn wood on most days we gave up the live tree many years back. Didn’t need a Clark Grisswall moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
We got a very nice 7' tree (great shape) for $89. Not terrible. Friends in Moultonboro said they paid $120 at a seasonal tree stand. A lot of money but it brings a lot of joy!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2022, 12:51 PM   #6
Meredith AK

Default Trees

Cackleberries across from Meredith Police Station has them
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 01:37 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
We got a very nice 7' tree (great shape) for $89. Not terrible. Friends in Moultonboro said they paid $120 at a seasonal tree stand. A lot of money but it brings a lot of joy!
The local Rotary here was reluctant to raise prices, but the cost of trees and shipping from Canada forced it. $70 for a Fralsam (hybrid, Balsam/Frasier) at 6'-7' and $100 for 8'-9'. Will likely sell our this weekend, a week earlier than expected. The quality is so consistent I get one still in the wrapping. Much easier to transport and set up.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 06:14 PM   #8
thebix

Default We have our tree

I am surprised at the many places that have sold out / ended their sales over 2 weeks before Christmas. Seems many places only had enough stock for 1-2 weeks of sales!

So the Gilford Rotary Club sale at the Fireside Inn ended very soon after it started.
I had seen the Knights of Columbus sale at the St. André Bessette Parish hall but they were gone when we stopped by today. Also, I was going to try Grandpas Tree Farm in Loudon since were coming back from an errand in Concord, but their website said sold out for 2022 (only open about 2 weeks.)

So we bit the dust and went to Osborne's Agway in Winnisquam.
Nice trees, from Nova Scotia. A good inventory, and seems to have some new deliveries just arrived and still bound.
Got a 5.5 ft tree for $60.
The Following User Says Thank You to thebix For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (12-09-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 01:52 PM   #9
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Curious, how are tree prices this season?
For comparison purposes, really nice trees cost about $180 out here on the left coast, and we grow most of them.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:21 PM   #10
fatlazyless

For five dollars per tree purchased on-line at recreation.gov, you can go cut down your own Christmas tree in the White Mountain National Forest.

Or, google 'White Mountain National Forest Christmas Tree permit' ........ just five bucks ...... only one tree permit per household ..... Merry Christmas from your White Mountain National Forest ....... where Christmas trees grow up to be tall and green ....... headquarters in Campton NH, very close to Rt 93 Exit-27
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
KPW (12-12-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 10:21 PM   #11
dickiej

Paying only $5.00 to cut your own tree is a terrific deal….and it’s fun! We do it every year out here in Washington with the grandkids….they absolutely love exploring in the forest looking for the perfect tree…
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
WinnisquamZ (12-10-2022)
Old 12-10-2022, 11:50 PM   #12
RockHopster

Default Gilford Rotary Tree Sale

The Gilford Rotary Tree Sale to benefit local charities did not end early. Started Friday November 25 the day after Thanksgiving with 600 trees. Ended on Sunday December 4. 85 trees were sold on the final day.
RockHopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #13
thebix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHopster View Post
The Gilford Rotary Tree Sale to benefit local charities did not end early. Started Friday November 25 the day after Thanksgiving with 600 trees. Ended on Sunday December 4. 85 trees were sold on the final day.
Yes, when I was checking on the hours of the sale I saw that it was scheduled to end Dec 4 so was no longer available for me.

I used the term 'early' in relation to Christmas itself.

Scheduling Christmas tree sales to END 3 weeks before Christmas seemed to me to be 'early' and very surprising..

I would of thought the 1-3 weeks before Christmas is the prime time for tree sales, not just the week or two after Thanksgiving.
Who wants to buy a tree so early and have it dry out and loose a lot of needles by the time Christmas arrive.

A different perspective, I suppose. I would prefer a tree about two weeks before the holiday. I understand many people want to get it the day after Thanksgiving. More power to them, but why do so many tree sale places assume everyone wants to, and schedule sales to end 3 weeks before the holiday? They are missing out on a lot of potential sales.
Old 12-11-2022, 07:22 PM   #14
GTO

Default Cut your own

Quote:
Glove Hollow tree farm in Plymouth. $63 for all trees, any size. We have been going there for the past 4 years. Perfect trees.