Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2022, 07:14 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Cooper Anchor for Jetski?

Those of you who've followed my anchor research in the past know that I love me some Mantus.

One of the three I own is a collapsible dinghy version for my jetski. It works perfectly, but the Cooper blue vinyl, which is ~$100 cheaper, gets very good ratings for jetski use as well.

Does anyone have/has anyone used one of the blue Cooper anchors? This would be for my wife's bow anchor. We use one of those dog leash/screw anchors for the rear when at sandbars.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 01:30 PM   #2
Dave R

We looked at those at a boat show and they seem like they might work, but are pretty expensive for what you get.

I use a 2.2 lb Lewmar claw with 5 feet of 3/16" chain and 100 feet of nylon on my 10'6" RIB dinghy. It works really well and is very inexpensive. We have had up to 5 dinghies rafted together, just off Hampton Beach for fireworks, on that one anchor, a few times with no dragging.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:47 PM   #3
thinkxingu

The Mantus is trick because it folds flat and doesn't require much chain. The Cooper is even lighter, I think, so I'm not sure if it'll drop cleanly and hold well enough to justify the savings

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
stingray (06-14-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 03:48 PM   #4
thinkxingu

To close this (lackluster) thread:

1. The Cooper is larger and doesn't break down, so I'm not convinced it would fit well in the older-style storage of my wife's ski.

2. What's $100, amiright?!

Mantus ordered.

Old 01-29-2022, 05:13 PM   #5
Winilyme

Hey Think...do me a favor and send me a link to the Mantus you are ordering or have used successfully before. I may purchase one myself. I've been using a 12 lb mushroom for my jet ski for the last few years. It's been fine but I've been hesitant about dropping anchor in all but the calmest coves. I thinking the Mantus might provide me with a little more reassurance regardless of what kind of bottom I'm dealing with. Thanks.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2022, 07:18 PM   #6
thinkxingu

Here you go: https://www.mantusmarine.com/product...yABEgIFS_D_BwE

They sent me a 10% code, so it was $161 shipped. Message me if you'd like the code.

Honestly, I'm not really sure why I bothered even asking/looking for alternatives—I've used this anchor at sandbars, coves, beaches, etc. and it's perfect.

I especially appreciate it when I'm at a rough sandbar like West Alton and it can hold multiple machines without worrying about walking away for a bit.

Winilyme (01-29-2022)
Old 01-29-2022, 11:04 PM   #7
LoveLakeLife

Think, do you need/use just one anchor for the jet ski? What’s the default, front back? How does it logistically hold more than one jet ski?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 01:17 AM   #8
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Think, do you need/use just one anchor for the jet ski? What’s the default, front back? How does it logistically hold more than one jet ski?

It all depends on the current/wave action and closeness of other vessels, but there are a few different ways I typically use anchors:

Solo:
1. Mantus for the bow with a "dog anchor" for the stern. This is for tight(er) sandbars.

2. Mantus for the bow with no stern anchor for places with a decent current/directional waves such as the west side of Ragged or where swinging doesn't matter.

Groups:
1. Mantus for the bow with additional skis tied together and bumpers between. With or without dog screws. This is for calm(er) areas.

2. Mantus for the bow(s) with additional skis separated by dog screw stern anchors. Sandbars with one or two others.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #9
thinkxingu

Just got the new Mantus delivered. These guys make some high-quality products, and they've made a few adjustments to the new dinghy anchor that are nice touches: 1. The finish is just a little higher quality than my earlier Mantus anchors, 2. The roll bar is like their larger anchors, but removable, 3. The notches and pins for the main body are much smoother and fit together easier, and 4. The hoop on the shank for the swivel/shackle is more open, so it'll be more fluid when dropping it in (my original needed to be opened a bit because otherwise the shackle would get stuck and the anchor wouldn't drop/set straight).

Overall, I'm once again reminded to "buy once, cry once" or that "quality is remember long after the price is forgotten."

stingray (06-14-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 10:27 AM   #10
LoveLakeLife

Think, would you post a few pics of the new Mantus for us to see??

Old 02-05-2022, 12:32 PM   #11
thinkxingu

Here you go.

Old 02-05-2022, 10:50 PM   #12
LoveLakeLife

Thanks. It looks so futuristic.

Old 06-13-2022, 10:07 PM   #13
Rinkerfam

In all honesty, I've found that a beach umbrella anchor (screw type) with 6' of bungee dock line and two nylon carabiner clips works great as a front anchor. An 8lb mushroom anchor is a great rear anchor. This setup is for sandbar use. I don't have any practical experience with deeper water anchoring of a jet ski. I bet the smallest box anchor would work just fine.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:40 AM   #14
thinkxingu

So, if you're not familiar with my history here, I'm an, ahem, researcher and gear nerd. This means that when I've settled on something, it's either close to perfect or close to perfect for me (nothing's perfect, of course).

My goal is the perfect intersection between function, form, longevity, and cost.

The umbrella anchor, which I've tried as a low-cost alternative, is bulky, requires getting into and often under the water, and slowly backs out in soft/moving sand. This means it works well in, say, Braun Bay where the average depth is shallower than West Alton, but the latter requires submerging to set and, with the wave action, often pulls out over time.

The mushroom anchor is also useless in a West-Alton-like situation as there's simply too much wave and wind action on most days.

I have not used the Cooper or Sand Shark yet, but from everything I've read and watched, and from other users, I have landed on the Mantus dinghy anchor for the bow and a dog leash anchor for the rear. These work to secure the ski in deep water/emergency circumstances as well as sandbars while keeping the gear light, small, lifetime lasting, and overall inexpensive.

Ultimately, run what ya brung, but for anyone interested in what's worked for a researcher/gear nerd.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2022, 08:35 AM   #15
fatlazyless

For $9.99 West Marine has a Suncor 1 1/2-lb folding Grapnel anchor that looks a little like a grappling hook used by the Fish & Game to drag for a dead drowned body down the bottom, somewhere, in a NH river, pond or lake. At least how it used to be done before underwater remote cameras?

http://www.suncorstainless.com/steel...olding-anchor/

It has three hook ends that fold up, a shackle, and a hole at the bottom end, and looks like it could be a good anchor for any small vessel like a canoe, pwc, sup, or small sailboat

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anchor...le_Entente.jpg ...... A 1914 Russian poster showing an English woman holding a symbolic anchor meant to symbolize Britannia's association with the sea.

And ....... www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-3ws7b4sZg ..... Anchors Away with your U.S. Navy!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-14-2022 at 09:16 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:52 PM   #16
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
For $9.99 West Marine has a Suncor 1 1/2-lb folding Grapnel anchor that looks a little like a grappling hook used by the Fish & Game to drag for a dead drowned body down the bottom, somewhere, in a NH river, pond or lake. At least how it used to be done before underwater remote cameras?

http://www.suncorstainless.com/steel...olding-anchor/
My last dinghy came with one of those. It is useless.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:31 AM   #17
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
My last dinghy came with one of those. It is useless.
Standing on the light weight 1.5-lb Grapnel to press two of its three prongs into the lake bottom will usually increase the grip.

Snagging it onto a rocky bottom can get a good strong hold with a 17' canoe on a Maine river but will it work on Lake Winnipesaukee with a jet ski?
Old 06-16-2022, 06:35 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Quote:
Standing on the light weight 1.5-lb Grapnel to press two of its three prongs into the lake bottom will usually increase the grip.

Snagging it onto a rocky bottom can get a good strong hold with a 17' canoe on a Maine river but will it work on Lake Winnipesaukee with a jet ski?
No. It's terrible. The slightest wave action pulls it.

You know what works amazingly well? The Mantus Dinghy anchor at the bow and dog anchor at the stern.

Old 06-16-2022, 07:03 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
No. It's terrible. The slightest wave action pulls it.

You know what works amazingly well? The Mantus Dinghy anchor at the bow and dog anchor at the stern.

Well ...... let's consider their price ...... the Mantus dinghy anchor is $232.00 ..... the 1.5-lb folding Grapnel is $9.99 ...... and a concrete block, 8"x8"x8" weighing about 15-lbs is $1.48.

For $1.48 ....... the concrete block works very well on the sandy lake bottom and has a single large opening for attaching an anchor line.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:29 AM   #20
thinkxingu

Quote:
Well ...... let's consider their price ...... the Mantus dinghy anchor is $232.00 ..... the 1.5-lb folding Grapnel is $9.99 ...... and a concrete block, 8"x8"x8" weighing about 15-lbs is $1.48.

For $1.48 ....... the concrete block works very well on the sandy lake bottom and has a single large opening for attaching an anchor line.
Cost doesn't matter if it doesn't work or, worse, causes damage.

Old 06-16-2022, 10:48 AM   #21
DickR

Quote:
... and a concrete block, 8"x8"x8" weighing about 15-lbs...and has a single large opening for attaching an anchor line
That volume of concrete (8" cube) would be about 0.3 cu.ft and weigh around 43 lb. That "single large opening would have to be huge for the block to weigh just 15 lb, little more than a third than without the hole. Of course, a 0.3 cu.ft block weighing 43 lb out of water has a net weight of about 24 lb when submerged.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 01:17 PM   #22
Dave R

Quote:

A Lewmar 2.2 lb Claw anchor is $13.75 and it actually works really well. It's so worth the extra $3.76 to $12.27 compared to an anchor that does not work at all a and concrete block.

I really like the Mantus, and if I was anchoring overnight, I'd spend the extra money. The 73 lb anchor on my main boat is a Vulcan which is extremely similar to Mantus anchors in design and price and I spent more for it than I spent to buy my first motorboat, but I like security when I anchor overnight and the weather gets bad.