Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #1
snowflake

Default Bike Week

This may not be the place for this question but I don't see the topic. I just heard that Bike Week is around Aug. 22 - 27. I plan on going to Wolfeboro for a few days that week. How is Wolfeboro impacted by the festivities? I know it's in Laconia but are bikers, families lodging in Wolfeboro? Would it be better to go the week before? Thanks for any advice. We are trying to avoid a crowd from all over.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snowflake For This Useful Post:
Garcia (06-21-2020), SimpleTL (06-21-2020), Top-Water (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
FlyingScot

Wolfeboro is not impacted significantly by Bike Week. There will be a few bikes that come through, but nothing to change the general feel. I'd say you'd have a few less people overall on your current week.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
Patofnaud

Towns generally hit the largest are Gilford, Laconia, and Meredith. Expect big delays getting through there.

After that Bike Week over the years has become more mid-state event running from Loudon to Waterville. And outside of the aforementioned 3 towns/cites just think busy Saturday traffic, but all week long.

So Wolfeboro would just tend to be busier than normal for traffic, but not oppressive like Meredith/Laconia(Weirs)/Gilford.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #4
Woodsy

Judging from last nights meeting.. the Laconia City Council is having some serious reservations about Bike Week. They asked St. Clair about "what ifs" and were looking for contingency plans. Bike Week may not even happen this year!

Woodsy
Old 06-23-2020, 10:08 AM   #5
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Judging from last nights meeting.. the Laconia City Council is having some serious reservations about Bike Week. They asked St. Clair about "what ifs" and were looking for contingency plans. Bike Week may not even happen this year!

Woodsy
That's too bad. Charlie St. Clair is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and judging by his letter in today's Laconia Daily Sun, he needs a history lesson to boot. That is the problem with this media and social media created crisis, our political leaders are so scared to do the right thing for fear of the mob coming for their heads. Given the liberal bent of our City Council, my guess is that Bike Week will be scraped.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-23-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #6
jbolty

Quote:

Woodsy
Bike "week" used to be about a weekend of races, then expanded to a week of wandering around the weirs drinking , buying tee shirts and looking at other bikes/ Also as a way to get a few motel rooms rented before the actual season started. Unless there are a lot of cancellations of rentals in August a totally different crowd will be in town and there is no logic to booting people in exchange for other people.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:22 AM   #7
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
That's too bad. Charlie St. Clair is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and judging by his letter in today's Laconia Daily Sun, he needs a history lesson to boot. That is the problem with this media and social media created crisis, our political leaders are so scared to do the right thing for fear of the mob coming for their heads. Given the liberal bent of our City Council, my guess is that Bike Week will be scraped.
Do you have to turn every thread into liberal political bashing?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (06-23-2020), chasedawg (06-23-2020), Doobs41378 (06-24-2020), gillygirl (06-23-2020), JanN (06-24-2020), Marauder (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #8
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Do you have to turn every thread into liberal political bashing?
Like it or not, liberals want to close everything down indefinitely and conservatives want to open things up immediately with no impediments. This is purely a political issue now. It has nothing to do with science or saving lives or whatever. We learned that when our political leaders tolerated and in some instances endorsed the rioters and looters. They didn't care about the virus, social distancing or masks when destroying businesses, taking over cities or destroying art.

The political make-up of the City Council will determine whether we have Bike Week. Those of us who want to see local businesses thrive are rooting for it to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #9
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts
Thumbs down

I guess that's a yes!
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
FlyingScot

Quote:
Like it or not, liberals want to close everything down indefinitely and conservatives want to open things up immediately with no impediments. .
Simply not true--liberal Massachusetts, liberal New York, and Republican New Hampshire are opening in thoughtful measured ways. We might compare these states to Florida, which has an approach more to your liking.

It's the thoughtful part that you've been opposed to, with every concession to the virus wrong, and every disregard for the danger right.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-23-2020), Cobalt 25 (06-23-2020), JanN (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #11
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Simply not true--liberal Massachusetts, liberal New York, and Republican New Hampshire are opening in thoughtful measured ways. We might compare these states to Florida, which has an approach more to your liking.

It's the thoughtful part that you've been opposed to, with every concession to the virus wrong, and every disregard for the danger right.
Have you talked to small business owners and restaurant owners in Mass? I have. It is not going well, which is an understatement. They would appreciate as you say it a less thoughtful approach. If it's not political, then why are democrats universally against full throttle openings and conservatives in support of such openings? If it's not political, then why is it heresy to democrats if Michigan small business owners protest or if Trump has a rally in Oklahoma, while it is A-Okay to democrats for rioters, looters, unwelcome occupiers and destroyers to gather to do their rioting, looting, occupying and destroying? Have you seen MSNBC or CNN's coverage? Praising rioters, looters, occupiers and destroyers while vilifying small business owners and patriots. You have to admit there is a strong political component to this issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-23-2020), Seaplane Pilot (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #12
Major

Default Laconia City Council

After thinking about it, there may be a good chance that Bike Week will happen. Here is my guess as to the Councilors' vote on the issue:

Bruce Cheney, Ward 1, probably yes.
David Bownes, Ward 2, probably no.
Henry D. Lipman, Ward 3, probably no.
Mark Haynes, Ward 4, probably yes.
Robert Hamel, Ward 5, probably yes.
Tony Felch, Ward 6, probably no.

In the case of a tie, Andrew Hosmer breaks the tie.

Last edited by Major; 06-23-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #13
Woodsy

Quote:
After thinking about it, there may be a good chance that Bike Week will happen. Here is my guess as to the Councilors' vote on the issue:

Bruce Cheney, Ward 1, probably yes.
David Bownes, Ward 2, probably no.
Henry D. Lipman, Ward 3, probably no.
Mark Haynes, Ward 4, probably yes.
Robert Hamel, Ward 5, probably yes.
Tony Felch, Ward 6, probably no.

In the case of a tie, Charlie St. Claire breaks the tie, and my guess is that he would vote yes.
You should have heard the Bike Week discussion at the end of last nights meeting. Hamel was the person who prompted the discussion, Cheney agreed with his concerns as did the other councilors. St. Clair has no say.... Hosmer would get the tiebreaker.

I would not bet either way on this.... it will depend on what is going on 3 weeks from now.

they are on Youtube... 2:48 is when Hamel starts his speech. There are also other discussion throughout the meeting. You might need a copy of the agenda to find them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdRjZZ9i9Jc

Woodsy
Old 06-23-2020, 01:09 PM   #14
Major

Quote:
You should have heard the Bike Week discussion at the end of last nights meeting. Hamel was the person who prompted the discussion, Cheney agreed with his concerns as did the other councilors. St. Clair has no say.... Hosmer would get the tiebreaker.

I would not bet either way on this.... it will depend on what is going on 3 weeks from now.

they are on Youtube... 2:48 is when Hamel starts his speech. There are also other discussion throughout the meeting. You might need a copy of the agenda to find them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdRjZZ9i9Jc

Woodsy
Thanks Woodsy! I meant Hosmer would break the tie (I had St. Claire on my brain!)
Old 06-23-2020, 01:53 PM   #15
FlyingScot

Quote:
Have you talked to small business owners and restaurant owners in Mass? I have. It is not going well, which is an understatement. They would appreciate as you say it a less thoughtful approach. If it's not political, then why are democrats universally against full throttle openings and conservatives in support of such openings? If it's not political, then why is it heresy to democrats if Michigan small business owners protest or if Trump has a rally in Oklahoma, while it is A-Okay to democrats for rioters, looters, unwelcome occupiers and destroyers to gather to do their rioting, looting, occupying and destroying? Have you seen MSNBC or CNN's coverage? Praising rioters, looters, occupiers and destroyers while vilifying small business owners and patriots. You have to admit there is a strong political component to this issue.
I know it's tough for business--as I've posted before, I have suffered large losses in a small business where I am a shareholder.

Democrats are against "full throttle" openings for the reason I have already stated--full throttle is not thoughtful (or safe).

The President made it political by ignoring his own scientific advisors, and then slinging all sorts of BS about 8 cases on the way to zero, vaccines in July, cures with no data that area actually dangerous, etc.

The Democrats' position has been that we need to heed the scientific advisors. It's really sad when you equate following science as a political thing to do.

I don't watch MSNBC or CNN, and I would not attend a political rally in this environment. The only prominent politician I have seen at a rally is Donald Trump. Ironically, his own team brought 8 infected people to that rally--providing a pretty good illustration of why the rally was a terrible thing to do.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-23-2020), chasedawg (06-23-2020), Cobalt 25 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #16
Major

Quote:
I know it's tough for business--as I've posted before, I have suffered large losses in a small business where I am a shareholder.

Democrats are against "full throttle" openings for the reason I have already stated--full throttle is not thoughtful (or safe).

The President made it political by ignoring his own scientific advisors, and then slinging all sorts of BS about 8 cases on the way to zero, vaccines in July, cures with no data that area actually dangerous, etc.

The Democrats' position has been that we need to heed the scientific advisors. It's really sad when you equate following science as a political thing to do.

I don't watch MSNBC or CNN, and I would not attend a political rally in this environment. The only prominent politician I have seen at a rally is Donald Trump. Ironically, his own team brought 8 infected people to that rally--providing a pretty good illustration of why the rally was a terrible thing to do.
I completely disagree. The Democrats have made it political by enforcing these draconian rules against small business owners and low income employees yet not enforcing the rules against rioters, looters, occupiers and destroyers. I haven't heard ONE Democrat condemn these actions. I haven't heard ONE Democrat condemn the occupation of Chopistan. Generally speaking in life, words have very little meaning. It is actions that speak the loudest. And we have found from our Democrat leaders of the U.S. House, state governments, city mayors who are allowing the anarchists free reign with little or nothing said about the sure death sentence Chinese coronavirus, which by the way, what little evidence we do have suggests that it is far less deadlier than originally predicted. Who would have guessed!

If it is acceptable to have rioters, looters, occupiers and destroyers give the finger to social distancing, wearing masks, and everything else associated with this Chinese coronavirus nonsense, then I think we can figure out a way to open all businesses ASAP and put America back to work.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
ApS (06-23-2020), Hillcountry (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 03:59 PM   #17
FlyingScot

Quote:
I completely disagree. The Democrats have made it political by enforcing these draconian rules against small business owners and low income employees yet not enforcing the rules against rioters, looters, occupiers and destroyers. I haven't heard ONE Democrat condemn these actions. I haven't heard ONE Democrat condemn the occupation of Chopistan. Generally speaking in life, words have very little meaning. It is actions that speak the loudest. And we have found from our Democrat leaders of the U.S. House, state governments, city mayors who are allowing the anarchists free reign with little or nothing said about the sure death sentence Chinese coronavirus, which by the way, what little evidence we do have suggests that it is far less deadlier than originally predicted. Who would have guessed!

If it is acceptable to have rioters, looters, occupiers and destroyers give the finger to social distancing, wearing masks, and everything else associated with this Chinese coronavirus nonsense, then I think we can figure out a way to open all businesses ASAP and put America back to work.
You're kind of making it up and tossing in the kitchen sink. The protests/riots are a couple of weeks old and a separate crisis. Let's stay on your original topic--Trump made Covid political months ago.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-23-2020), Cobalt 25 (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #18
Major

Quote:
You're kind of making it up and tossing in the kitchen sink. The protests/riots are a couple of weeks old and a separate crisis. Let's stay on your original topic--Trump made Covid political months ago.
I do not agree that Trump was the first to politicize it, but my point is that the riots show that there isn't any real meat to the so called Chinese coronavirus crisis. Our political leaders were not too concerned about the virus spreading, only when conservatives get together to peacefully protest and assemble. Anyway, to the point at hand, given the liberal nature of the City Council, and reporting by Woodsy, my guess is that Bike Week is done. That's too bad since the local businesses could really need a boost.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #19
coolyourjets

Quote:
Like it or not, liberals want to close everything down indefinitely and conservatives want to open things up immediately with no impediments.
My God you are FOS.
Old 06-23-2020, 04:38 PM   #20
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyourjets View Post
Quote:
Like it or not, liberals want to close everything down indefinitely and conservatives want to open things up immediately with no impediments.

My God you are FOS.
How so? Liberal states, e.g., Mass, RI, NY, CT, NJ, are proceeding at a snail's pace. Mass just opened up outside seating, where NH (not necessarily a conservative haven) has had it since early June and Florida, Georgia and Texas even earlier. Four of my favorite restaurants in Kendall Square where I have an apartment, The Automatic, Dante, Legal Seafoods and Cuchi Cuchi, have closed forever. For what? If Governor Baker had it his way, nothing would ever open. The Boston Globe would approve.
Old 06-23-2020, 06:20 PM   #21
coolyourjets

Default Bike Week

Quote:
Quote:

How so? Liberal states, e.g., Mass, RI, NY, CT, NJ, are proceeding at a snail's pace. Mass just opened up outside seating, where NH (not necessarily a conservative haven) has had it since early June and Florida, Georgia and Texas even earlier. Four of my favorite restaurants in Kendall Square where I have an apartment, The Automatic, Dante, Legal Seafoods and Cuchi Cuchi, have closed forever. For what? If Governor Baker had it his way, nothing would ever open. The Boston Globe would approve.
Actually, MA opened indoor seating at restaurants. Just a couple of weeks behind NH. Sad that some business didn’t make it. Sad that a lot of people didn’t make it. Here’s the results of everyone’s sacrifice. BTW, your heros in FL, GA and TX not doing too well.

https://rt.live/

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by coolyourjets; 06-23-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:27 PM   #22
TheVoiceOfReason

Quote:
Quote:

Governor Baker has an "R" next to his name...
Old 06-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #23
Billy Bob

Quote:
Quote:

Actually, MA opened indoor seating at restaurants. Just a couple of weeks behind NH. Sad that some business didn’t make it. Sad that a lot of people didn’t make it. Here’s the results of everyone’s sacrifice. BTW, your heros in FL, GA and TX not doing too well.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
We are in the Tampa , St Pete area and when the restaurants increased capacity and the bars opened the reopening went off the rails and the numbers , including the hospital rate went nuts. For the first time the people getting hit are majority younger. Until recently we knew no one with the virus we now know 4 people including 2 high school kids on the track team.
Don’t get complacent, use the mask , this is real , watch yourself and don’t listen to the folks that think this is a liberal plan to take over .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-24-2020), chasedawg (06-23-2020), Cobalt 25 (06-23-2020), Pam (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 08:17 PM   #24
FlyingScot

Quote:
Quote:

Amazing that you think it's over once states start opening back up. But I suppose that's what Trump and Pence have been asserting as well.

But back to reality--as you can see from the link, dozens of states are seeing cases still rising. The Republican Governor of Texas has (smartly) told local officials it's OK to restrict crowds more than the state already has. The Republican Governor of Florida is threatening to shut down restaurants that operate at "full throttle" to use your term. The bummer about science, data, facts, logic, etc, is that they tend to prove out in the end, much more than hopes, dreams, and political BS

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/...texas-arizona/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (06-23-2020), Cobalt 25 (06-24-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #25
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post
Quote:

Governor Baker has an "R" next to his name...
Yes, and it stands for RINO.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #26
Cobalt 25

I'm a lifelong Democrat and I think Baker is doing a great job.

Why? Because he bases his decisions on science, logic, and research. Not his gut. I don't care that he's not in my party. He makes decisions based on what he feels is best for the state of Massachusetts, not what is best for him.

I respect his guidelines and don't feel personally diminished by them. It's for the common good.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cobalt 25 For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-24-2020), chasedawg (06-23-2020), FlyingScot (06-24-2020), Pam (06-24-2020), TheVoiceOfReason (06-23-2020), Top-Water (06-23-2020)
Old 06-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #27
coolyourjets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVoiceOfReason View Post

Yes, and it stands for RINO.
Go on...keep politicizing this. However you label Gov. Baker, MA cases are growing the slowest in the nation.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:33 PM   #28
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt 25 View Post
I'm a lifelong Democrat and I think Baker is doing a great job.

Why? Because he bases his decisions on science, logic, and research. Not his gut. I don't care that he's not in my party. He makes decisions based on what he feels is best for the state of Massachusetts, not what is best for him.

I respect his guidelines and don't feel personally diminished by them. It's for the common good.

I am and my family for generations have been Republications. We have voted for the best Republican candidate we felt would continue the right direction for our country. The Republican party today has turned a corner and gone in a absolute total different direction that our ancestors would be in disbelief..My friends tell me the party has left you in the dust....move on and try to hang on to something better...if there can be anything better. I will unfortunately be voting Democrat this time around. Good luck America...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chasedawg For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 25 (06-25-2020), Mr. V (06-24-2020)