Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2022, 03:39 PM   #1
dmjr

Default Verizon Cell Coverage

Has anyone else experienced very poor cell coverage around the area this summer? Today I was traveling on both route 25 and route 25b in Center Harbor and I was not able to make a call or send a text until I got into Meredith.
Old 09-12-2022, 03:41 PM   #2
burgerunh

Verizon Service on the weekends in the summer is terrible in Ossipee at Ossipee Lake.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 03:51 PM   #3
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjr View Post
Has anyone else experienced very poor cell coverage around the area this summer? Today I was traveling on both route 25 and route 25b in Center Harbor and I was not able to make a call or send a text until I got into Meredith.
In Gilford all summer long it was 1-2 bars tops, it has always been 3-4 bars on our phones. My neighbors were all talking about it all summer how bad it was, even during the week days too.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (06-09-2023)
Old 09-12-2022, 06:10 PM   #4
dickiej

Would love to get off Verizon…haven’t spent much time researching just how and who is less expensive. Any suggestions?
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 06:52 PM   #5
Fastfury

Check your Verizon bill
They are charging more for 3g
They want you to convert to 5G and it's less $/ Mo they are starting to
discontinue the old network
They want you to upgrade to 5G

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Fastfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2022, 07:20 PM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
Would love to get off Verizon…haven’t spent much time researching just how and who is less expensive. Any suggestions?
We had pretty good luck with AT&T before going to Verizon, but I'd probably try TMobile first—I've heard good things about them since merging with Sprint.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:50 PM   #7
Newbiesaukee

Verizon has been much worse on Long Island. In the past AT&T was nonexistent and Verizon seemed the best in our location.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:53 PM   #8
4 for Boating

Default Bars versus Congestion

So I'm by no means an expert on this but I think there is a difference between the number of Bars (Signal Strength to tower- not typically impacted by the number of phone connections to the tower) and Congestion (where you may even have 5 bars and you cannot get any thing to go through - texts/internet/ browsing...

I'm not sure having a lot of people in the area (summer rush) would impact the number of bars but most certainly would impact the speed or lack there of a connection.

Reminds me of the old Foxboro stadium - would go to to a game and have 5 bars but could not send a single text the entire day while there = congestion.

Could be wrong...
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4 for Boating For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (09-13-2022), swnoel (06-08-2023)
Old 09-13-2022, 03:58 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
So I'm by no means an expert on this but I think there is a difference between the number of Bars (Signal Strength to tower- not typically impacted by the number of phone connections to the tower) and Congestion (where you may even have 5 bars and you cannot get any thing to go through - texts/internet/ browsing...

I'm not sure having a lot of people in the area (summer rush) would impact the number of bars but most certainly would impact the speed or lack there of a connection.

Reminds me of the old Foxboro stadium - would go to to a game and have 5 bars but could not send a single text the entire day while there = congestion.

Could be wrong...
You are correct—it's called deprioritization. I discovered it a few years back when on prepaid Verizon and couldn't use my phone on weekends or during the day. At that time, carriers were being squirrelly with how they identified the process.

I don't know about other providers, but Verizon identifies this as "premium data." For example, on their top-level plan, customers get unlimited premium data, which means they will never be deprioritized when the network is busy.

The next levels down are up to 50GB of premium data, whereas the base plans have 5 (Start) and 0 (Welcome). Prepaid plans and MVNOs are prioritized below those plans.

This only applies when the network is congested which, in the summer, is almost always.

My experience this summer, though, is that the actual signal strength has been weaker than in the past. Places I would've normally had 2-3 bars were at 1 or no service. People have mentioned that may be a reflection of Verizon moving to 5G, which does not have the same penetration ability.

Does anyone know the best way to report these experiences? I'm guessing the more complaints they get, the more they're likely to address.

Old 09-13-2022, 05:00 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I have the unlimited plan and still don't have many bars. I can't download anything unless I am in the house (not sure if that's my phone or the service). But for 151 dollars a month it is frustrating.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (09-13-2022)
Old 09-13-2022, 06:05 AM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I have the unlimited plan and still don't have many bars. I can't download anything unless I am in the house (not sure if that's my phone or the service). But for 151 dollars a month it is frustrating.
$151 is for how many phones? We pay $150 for 4 phones w/unlimited data.

Remember, though, that "unlimited" may not equal "high-priority."

Old 09-13-2022, 06:44 AM   #12
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

2 phones. How do you tell unlimited from high priority?
Old 09-13-2022, 07:04 AM   #13
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

I am in Gilford and the Verizon service has been very good all summer. It does tighten up a little on concert days but it is certainly acceptable all the time.

I am on this plan:

Verizon Prepaid: 5GB plan for $40-25/month
The cheapest Verizon prepaid option is the 5GB plan, which starts at $40 but over time drops to as low as $25 per month. This plan will get you full 5G access but only a small allowance, which makes it preferable for light-users only. If you're mostly Wi-Fi bound, then this might be a good option for you. This also includes the use of your device as a mobile hotspot to share that data with other devices.
Intro price: $40/mo | After 4-mo: $35/mo | After 10-mo: $25/mo

I prefer the laptop and rarely use the phone for internet access, and when I do it is usually on wifi.

My recollection is that when I signed up it was for seniors only. (Unfortunately, I am over qualified for this discount)

The other thing I remember is it is prepaid. They get their money at the beginning of the month instead of the end of the month. Who cares? The net annual cost is still the same.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:44 AM   #14
Garcia

Quote:

Not sure of you are aware/take advantage of it, but as an educator I get a small discount ($25/month? - can't remember exactly). I don't remember seeing it advertised; they brought it to my attention after I complained about the cost of my bill a couple years ago. I've been getting it ever since.

At the time, the discount was available to first responders as well.

Last edited by Garcia; 09-13-2022 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added something
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:48 AM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default 3g

In my neck of the woods, I can only get 3G coverage. Been like that for a few years. I had LTE coverage and I don't know what happen. Neighbors and colleagues notice the same thing. Called Verizon a few times and had no luck. They would send a "truck to the nearest corner and check the signal strength" which was the standard reply. Also 'turn on wifi VOIP coverage'.

A number of folks with AT&T are having 5G coverage in the area, but with only 2 bars on average, better than what I have now.

Once I lose 3G and have no luck with Verizon, AT&T is the way to go. I thought they use the same towers.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:41 AM   #16
codeman671

We had Verizon for years, the service got went downhill year after year and the pricing just kept climbing.

We switched to T-mobile last year and it has been much better, and is $150 less per month. A few dead spots to deal with but all carriers have that. There is a 5 minute dead zone on route 11 starting around the Hogs Pen heading north (although some days its perfectly fine?) and I usually drop out around West Alton Marina for a minute.

The worst dead spot is right at my house in Dover (wifi calling only) which has been frustrating, but in a week I will be a Gilford resident so it won't matter!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 10:01 AM   #17
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
2 phones. How do you tell unlimited from high priority?
They call it "premium data."

$150 for two phones is wayyyy too high.

Old 09-13-2022, 10:04 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Not sure of you are aware/take advantage of it, but as an educator I get a small discount ($25/month? - can't remember exactly). I don't remember seeing it advertised; they brought it to my attention after I complained about the cost of my bill a couple years ago. I've been getting it ever since.

I am and get it.
Our plans are $45/$35/$35/$35 and ~$15 in taxes, so the $20 teacher's discount makes it $145.xx.

Old 09-13-2022, 03:25 PM   #19
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default very disappointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjr View Post
Donny, It is absolutely terrible! I cant do audio only zoom or teams calls all along 104 so sometimes have to stop at 93 for an hour to finish a call. I just upgraded to 5G iphone and no improvement.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
DotRat (09-13-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 05:57 PM   #20
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post

I get that discount also, used to have 5 phones on my plan now i have only two, and I don't get that discount if I add another line. I can't recall why I get it. . . .
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 06:23 PM   #21
thinkxingu

Verizon was essentially unusable last summer and seems to have gotten even worse. Everyone I know is having the same issue.

We'll be signing up with TMobile this week.

Anyone having GOOD luck with Verizon?!

Old 05-28-2023, 06:43 PM   #22
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton Bay

No issues in Alton Bay.

Dave
Old 05-28-2023, 06:45 PM   #23
DickR

My wife and I (on Long Island) have Spectrum Mobile, which I'm told uses the Verizon tower network. We haven't noticed any degradation of service. Note that neither of us makes any real use of Internet via phone. We prefer a real computer for that.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 07:33 PM   #24
FlyingScot

Quote:
Verizon was essentially unusable last summer and seems to have gotten even worse. Everyone I know is having the same issue.

We'll be signing up with TMobile this week.

Anyone having GOOD luck with Verizon?!

In Tuftonboro, Verizon is generally good, but I think there are two dropout spots on 109
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 08:21 PM   #25
chasedawg

Default Tuftonboro Verizon new towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
In Tuftonboro, Verizon is generally good, but I think there are two dropout spots on 109
As residents of Tuftonoboro, we were looking forward to improved Verizon cell service with the 2 or 3 new Verizon cell towers that were installed last Fall and Winter as disguised as a very large pine trees in Tuftonboro. Yet our Verizon service is not any better on 109A or 19 Mile Bay than last year before the towers were installed.. We have the latest version of Verizon phones. We don't understand why our Verizon cell signal has not improved with this major tower upgrade.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:25 AM   #26
smith point boater

Default Verizon

Service is great here in West Alton. In fact in addition to our phones we just switched to Verizon internet service and dumped Breezeline entirely. HUGE savings and service has been excellent
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 01:39 PM   #27
Excalibur

Location: Gilford,NH is where I would like to be and Southborough, MA is where I have to be
Angry Verizon for Data

Hi, I am in Gilford and had four bars of data on a 4G LTE I phone. I tried to Google something , impossible, no response at all from the Verizon network.

Pretty much once I am at the Lakes Region on my Verizon phone, I have to use the house WIFI for any data.

Of course right next to me, my sister has US Cellular and has no issue with data and has the answer before me.

When I was at the car race in Loudon, I noticed Verizon brought in extra antenna trucks. They obviously consider the lakes region back woods like with a low population and they forget about seasonal surge. So they do not have the bandwidth on weekends with the amount of users.

Of course my phone works fine near Boston where they have capacity.

I am going to switch ,since it is very frustrating.
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 04:11 PM   #28
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post
Hi, I am in Gilford and had four bars of data on a 4G LTE I phone. I tried to Google something , impossible, no response at all from the Verizon network.

Pretty much once I am at the Lakes Region on my Verizon phone, I have to use the house WIFI for any data.

Of course right next to me, my sister has US Cellular and has no issue with data and has the answer before me.

When I was at the car race in Loudon, I noticed Verizon brought in extra antenna trucks. They obviously consider the lakes region back woods like with a low population and they forget about seasonal surge. So they do not have the bandwidth on weekends with the amount of users.

What it sounds like is that you're being deprioritized—do you have a lower-tier plan?

Old 05-30-2023, 05:44 PM   #29
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
As residents of Tuftonoboro, we were looking forward to improved Verizon cell service with the 2 or 3 new Verizon cell towers that were installed last Fall and Winter as disguised as a very large pine trees in Tuftonboro. Yet our Verizon service is not any better on 109A or 19 Mile Bay than last year before the towers were installed.. We have the latest version of Verizon phones. We don't understand why our Verizon cell signal has not improved with this major tower upgrade.
Same here. After 20 years the service still is not great even with the new towers. I'll never understand how it hasn't improved...............
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:37 PM   #30
The Real BigGuy

I have Verizon (for 20+ years) cell coverage and have never had an issue. We started with it because no other cell provider had service in the Little Bear area. My daughter had AT&T and had to call me at the top of the hill in Wolfboro to meet her at the dock @ Pier 19 because once through the “burry” she had no service. She switched to Verizon later on. My son had Virgin Mobile and he found one spot at Pier 19 where he had coverage (literally a 20 ft circle) then nothing out on the lake. He also switched to Verizon.

I don’t know how other services are working now in the Tuftonboro area because most people I know are on Verizon or Xfinity which uses Verizon cell towers.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 06:58 PM   #31
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excalibur View Post

Same here. No matter what time of day of the week, verizon has changed significantly in the last 3 years or so. It was once the only service that could get reception, now in Gilford, it is just bad.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (06-01-2023)
Old 05-30-2023, 11:08 PM   #32
Skippermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I just upgraded to 5G iphone and no improvement.
We have 5G Verizon but only get LTE in the Meredith area and that was unusable this weekend except very late at night.

I had 5G in Gilford on Sunday, and it worked ok but seemed slow when I sent a pic to my wife.
Skippermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:59 AM   #33
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedawg View Post
I can't remember the details on how this works, but I vaguely remember getting a message years ago on a similar issue I was having--you want to make sure you have the latest software installed on those latest phones. Once that is done, you might try restarting your phones
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:45 AM   #34
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippermark View Post
We have 5G Verizon but only get LTE in the Meredith area and that was unusable this weekend except very late at night.

I had 5G in Gilford on Sunday, and it worked ok but seemed slow when I sent a pic to my wife.
A 5G phone has to be in the broadcast area of a 5G tower to have 5G service and, unfortunately, not all towers of any of the services broadcast 5G. The are starting to upgrade towers with the major cities, high volume highways, and places where there are large numbers of people (shopping centers, etc.). It will be a few years before all towers are upgraded.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:35 PM   #35
thinkxingu

After research (significant), my family signed onto T-Mobile this AM. We won't be up this weekend to try, but the coverage map looks good so .

Old 06-01-2023, 06:40 AM   #36
The Real BigGuy

I caution - don’t believe a provider’s coverage map! They are more optimistic than my dog as she waits to be fed.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (06-01-2023)
Old 06-01-2023, 08:36 AM   #37
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I caution - don’t believe a provider’s coverage map! They are more optimistic than my dog as she waits to be fed.

Absolutely agree, but it was just one piece of my research. The other pieces: talking to a few traveling salesmen who use both Verizon and T-Mobile, friends who have visited and have T-Mobile, and people in our association.

All combined, it's about the best chance we have at getting service where we don't currently.

Next step? Internet/WiFi at camp, which I'm fundamentally opposed to.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:38 AM   #38
The Real BigGuy

Good luck! I’m sure it will work out. I was opposed to internet, my wife didn’t want a microwave, & I didn’t want TV. 30 yrs later, we have them all.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (06-01-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 07:15 AM   #39
thinkxingu

This weekend will be our first with the new T-Mobile phones/service. We ended up with S23 Samsungs and, so far in our southern NH/northern MA travels, service has been stellar.

I will say that T-Mobile customer service is pretty incredible—the woman who sold me the phones called me the other day to make sure they'd been delivered and to offer her help with getting them started.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (06-07-2023), LakeTimes (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 05:39 PM   #40
LakeTimes

Verizon Wireless in our area (Southern NH) has been terrible and we've been contemplating switching as well... When I spoke to VZ Wireless about this, they said the issue in Southern NH has been they are swapping over Towers to 5G Ultra Wide which will take well over a year... That said, I'm still not convinced once all towers are upgraded that service will actually be better..... thus I'm just waiting for more pain...

Curious to hear how T Mobile works in the lakes region (or where it doesn't work well) as we are typically all over the lake like a pin ball
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 06:05 AM   #41
swnoel

I enjoy reading posts where someone is complaining about poor service then ask who provides a cheaper service!
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swnoel For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (06-08-2023), SPT13 (06-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 06:34 AM   #42
rsmlp

Default VZ on Long Island

No issues. There are some spots driving down the Neck near JoJo's but generally fine. Have had VZ for over 15 years. Our 5 kids also have VZ and all over the country. I haven't heard anything negative.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
Charlie T (06-08-2023)
Old 06-08-2023, 09:07 AM   #43
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
No issues. There are some spots driving down the Neck near JoJo's but generally fine. Have had VZ for over 15 years. Our 5 kids also have VZ and all over the country. I haven't heard anything negative.
Really? Reddit is full of frustrated Verizon users: https://tinyurl.com/mshbx3ef

Now, that being said, all providers will have dead spots/weak areas, but Verizon's (current) issue is/appears to be two-fold: 1. Their rollover to 5g is slow and affecting 4g coverage and 2. Their network just doesn't have the capacity to handle summer Lakes Region capacity.

As I mentioned before/above, AT&T, with the first responder network being open to consumers when unused, seemed to have plenty of capacity—it just didn't work at my wife's school.

We confirmed yesterday that T-Mobile works at her school, so that hurdle is cleared!

Old 06-08-2023, 10:03 AM   #44
WinnisquamZ

Have had T-Mobile the past three years here in Laconia. Dead spot along the Meredith line. Heading up towards center harbor a bit. No complaints

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
DotRat (06-08-2023)
Old 06-09-2023, 05:33 PM   #45
thinkxingu

Ok, from Nashua to Tilton House of pizza and back on 93 to Arcadia there were three low/no-service spots but not long enough for Spotify to cut out (1/4 mile or so?).

Two were along the stretch of 104 between the exit 23 off ramp and just before downtown Center Harbor.

Here at Arcadia Campground, we've got 3 bars of 5G, and it's running fast.

This and next weekend, and 4th of July weekend, will be the real test to see how the network does when congested.

I will say that after a week of use, I'm very impressed with TMobile and am—so far—really happy with the change.

Old 10-20-2023, 07:17 AM   #46
patman

@thinkxingu has the service continued to be good? Thinking of leaving Verizon...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2023, 07:45 AM   #47
Phantom

as with Patman -- I too am VERY curious of experiences with T-Mobile.

I am seriously considering switching from AT&T over to the +55 program that T-Mo offers. For me, it is a huge savings per month but obviously not worth it if coverage is spotty.

I regularly commute from Gilford to Worcester area and of course traverse the entire Lake in the boat.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:46 AM   #48
tis

I got brave and made the big switch from Verizon to Pure Talk this summer. I have to say I don't notice a bit of difference in my service. I wonder if the services all work off available towers now so there isn't as much difference as there used to be? I am very pleased I changed. Also left the copper line landline which was going to be over $100 a month and went to Ooma and am pretty happy with that also. I debated dropping the landline completely but so many have our landline number I decided to keep it and just port our number.
Old 10-20-2023, 11:16 AM   #49
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
@thinkxingu has the service continued to be good? Thinking of leaving Verizon...
I recommend T-Mobile without reservation.

A couple notes:

1. They have "insider codes" that customer service reps can sometimes give out—those save customers 20% for life.

2. It costs $35 to activate a phone in a T-Mobile building but is totally free, including shipping, if done over the phone.

We ended up with four new Samsung S23 phones for free and pay $145/mth. for four lines on the highest unlimited plan that includes Netflix, Apple TV, and a year of AAA.

Phones are eligible for replacement every two years with no early cancellation penalty (remaining costs of phones would have to be paid for, of course).

We're jazzed with T-Mobile!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-20-2023), patman (10-21-2023), Phantom (10-23-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 08:25 AM   #50
patman

Thanks for the response! Very helpful...

I'm told there is a way to add T-Mobile for free as a trial with your existing phone and number if your phone supports eSim tech. You can have both T-Mobile and Verizon set ups, and switch between them as you wish to try out the coverage. Looking into that now.

I've also discovered that 'Tello' is a service that uses the T-Mobile towers, but is cheaper (?) than standard T-Mobile service.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 09:26 AM   #51
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
Thanks for the response! Very helpful...

I'm told there is a way to add T-Mobile for free as a trial with your existing phone and number if your phone supports eSim tech. You can have both T-Mobile and Verizon set ups, and switch between them as you wish to try out the coverage. Looking into that now.

I've also discovered that 'Tello' is a service that uses the T-Mobile towers, but is cheaper (?) than standard T-Mobile service.
For the trial thing, yes—if your phone supports eSim cards, you can program it to run on the T-Mobile system for a week or something to test things out. Very few phones qualify, though—even my S22, which was almost brand new at the time, didn't work.

In terms of "Tello" or any other MVNOs (companies that lease provider bandwidth), service will depend on the state of network use.

For example, we had middle-tier Verizon plans that, when we tried using them on weekends or during busy afternoons, were very slow. Summers at the lake were unusable.

In the last decade, T-Mobile has been the first service that I've not seen slowdowns or unusable service consistently. Every day, night, and weekend this summer our phones worked without hiccups.

I've not heard the same about Mint, which is supposedly the best MVNO on T-Mobile's network.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:11 AM   #52
retired

Default GoogleFi

We switched to GoogleFi last year and with three phones, went from $165 with Verizon to $65. We pay $10 per gigabite with our plan, but since we are almost always on WiFi the charge is minimal. It also doesn't charge for calls outside the US. We paid no additional fees when it Europe last month. We have IPhones and it works fine. Look into it.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 11:36 AM   #53
The Real BigGuy

How is GoogleFi coverage in the Moultonborough/Tuftonborough area!

Old 10-21-2023, 11:49 AM   #54
thinkxingu

Quote:
How is GoogleFi coverage in the Moultonborough/Tuftonborough area!

Google Fi uses T-Mobile and US Cellular towers, so it should get the same coverage as those but will still have the MVNO issues mentioned above.

Note that that applies to using cellular data, not Wi-Fi (assuming your Internet speeds are better than the cellular network).

So, at your home/in your yard, the cellular network doesn't matter much if you have high-speed Internet but while on the boat, driving, in the woods, etc. it applies.

I spent a summer being unable to stream Spotify because Verizon's network was overloaded and I was being deprioritized.

Old 10-22-2023, 08:58 AM   #55
retired

Yes, the cell coverage won't be any better. But why pay through the nose for the same thing.
Old 10-22-2023, 11:11 AM   #56
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
Yes, the cell coverage won't be any better. But why pay through the nose for the same thing.
Because, and this is the most essential part for the Lakes Region, if you choose an MVNO or lower-tier plan, you will be deprioritized during busy times. That's why there are so many complaints from Verizon users in the first place.

I'm willing to pay a bit more to get perfect service all the time, especially as, by doing so, I don't have to pay Internet for the 6 months we use camp AND get free streaming services year-round.

So my $145/mth. is really $85/mth. when pulling out the $360 for Internet at camp (6 months @ $60, though it's probably more with installation/cancellation/equipment fees, etc.) and $360 for Netflix and Apple TV...AND I get first class service all year with the ability to get a new phone every two.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (10-23-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 07:53 PM   #57
retired

Good point. That works for you and your lifestyle. We have high speed internet at home so GoogleFi goes thru that, not the cell towers. Most places we go allow us to access their WiFi so it still works for free and fast enough. The only time we aren't connected to WiFi is when on the road, and we don
't use our cell phones while driving. VOIP works for us, maybe not for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to retired For This Useful Post:
DotRat (10-22-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 11:56 PM   #58
TheTimeTraveler

Anyone who has Verizon cell phone service should switch that service to Xfinity (most people know them as Cablevision).

Xfinity now has a long term contract with Verizon which allows Xfinity to use all the Verizon Towers (thus allowing Xfinity to now sell cell service). The best thing about it? It will save you a bunch of money EACH month.

I was skeptical a year ago, but can tell you it turned out to be a great move as it has saved me a lot of money for the last twelve months and the reception has been the exact same as Verizon. I keep Verizon (Xfinity) as I find their reception to be the best when I travel anywhere around the USA.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 02:28 AM   #59
ApS

Question Try U.S. Cellular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Anyone who has Verizon cell phone service should switch that service to Xfinity (most people know them as Cablevision). Xfinity now has a long term contract with Verizon which allows Xfinity to use all the Verizon Towers (thus allowing Xfinity to now sell cell service). The best thing about it? It will save you a bunch of money EACH month. I was skeptical a year ago, but can tell you it turned out to be a great move as it has saved me a lot of money for the last twelve months and the reception has been the exact same as Verizon.
I keep Verizon (Xfinity) as I find their reception to be the best when I travel anywhere around the USA
I started here with T-Mobile, which was just OK.

Verizon caught fire here on the forum, so I switched and was happy for a few years. (Massachusetts friends asked to use my phone when theirs wouldn't work).

Then, inexplicably, Verizon stopped-cold at my home in Florida. The local "factory store" asked exactly where I lived, then both techs nodded/shrugged in agreement when I told them. So I stopped paying Verizon, which got their attention after I'd paid the $7 they'd demanded to speak to a live human being. (!)

Moving on to AT&T, things have been great for a year, but I'm in a three-year contract with a Samsung Flip-phone which has just released its back panel! That feature could be handy if I needed a new battery--which I don't.

I'd say, pick some firm that I'm not using.

ApS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 07:45 AM   #60
rsmlp

Default Vz

have had VZ for 15 years (?) and no issues on or near LI aside from some spotty coverage near JoJo's on the neck. 7 phones in the plan and no one has complained.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsmlp For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (10-23-2023)
Old 10-23-2023, 12:03 PM   #61
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
have had VZ for 15 years (?) and no issues on or near LI aside from some spotty coverage near JoJo's on the neck. 7 phones in the plan and no one has complained.
My experience with Verizon has been much the same. Add on top of that because I have unlimited data, my phone as a hot spot is my wifi when at the camp.... I would rather just pay verizon a little bit more every month... then add another bill into the mix, to get a cable modem installed at the lake for wifi...
Old 10-23-2023, 01:09 PM   #62
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Anyone who has Verizon cell phone service should switch that service to Xfinity (most people know them as Cablevision).

Xfinity now has a long term contract with Verizon which allows Xfinity to use all the Verizon Towers (thus allowing Xfinity to now sell cell service). The best thing about it? It will save you a bunch of money EACH month.

I was skeptical a year ago, but can tell you it turned out to be a great move as it has saved me a lot of money for the last twelve months and the reception has been the exact same as Verizon. I keep Verizon (Xfinity) as I find their reception to be the best when I travel anywhere around the USA.
I thought you had to be an Xfinity cable customer to sign up for Xfinity cell service.

Old 10-23-2023, 07:45 PM   #63
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Comcast, not Cablevision.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 11:15 PM   #64
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
I thought you had to be an Xfinity cable customer to sign up for Xfinity cell service.

No idea. I do have Comcast but not sure if that makes a difference or not.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:04 AM   #65
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-3 Guy View Post
Comcast, not Cablevision.
My son switched to Comcast and said it was terrible, had to switch back to Verizon. He travels a lot all over the country, so Comcast just didn't work for him.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:12 AM   #66
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
My son switched to Comcast and said it was terrible, had to switch back to Verizon. He travels a lot all over the country, so Comcast just didn't work for him.
Interesting since Comcast supposedly uses Verizon towers. Must have something to do with them leasing the capacity

Old 10-24-2023, 01:31 PM   #67
mishman

Default changed over to T-Mobile

So this thread and wanting to see if I could get a better deal prompted me to look at switching from Verizon to T-Mobile. I did a far amount of research and talked to two different reps on the phone (25-40 mins). Also checked back with Verizon to see if they could come close to matching the T-Mobile offer in terms of credit towards upgrading to new phones (two lines for seniors). Even though we are 25+ year customers with Verizon, they won't offer anywhere near the same deals as those enticing other customers to switch to Verizon. I checked out there coverage by joining their network (I have an iPhone 13 which has eSim which allows me to get on the T-Mobile network - you have to down load their app to do this but it was easy) and found signal strength to be comparable to Verizon in my neighborhood near Kona (off Neck Rd).
In the end from a financial standpoint, the deal with T-Mobile was a no brainer. I got major credit for upgrading our paid off phones (much more than Verizon offered), $400 credit applied to my $100/month bill for G05G Plus plan (for two lines), free AAA for one year ($60), free Netflix and Apple TV for as long as I keep the plan (roughly $20/month total) and be able to upgrade my phone every two years. Since we are already AAA members and subscribe to Netlix and Apple TV, this equals $320 real savings in year one and $240/year in savings (Netflix and Apple TV) every year thereafter. There is also the possibility down the road of getting T-Mobile home internet at 5G for $30/month once bandwidth opens to more customers which would be a $35/month savings over what I am paying Spectrum with higher speeds on 5G. So we are taking the plunge. Wish me luck!
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
Phantom (10-25-2023)
Old 10-24-2023, 04:26 PM   #68
tis

Both Verizon and cable companies seem so arrogant. Don't they realize they are losing a lot of customers? It seems like they just don't care.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:57 PM   #69
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
So this thread and wanting to see if I could get a better deal prompted me to look at switching from Verizon to T-Mobile. I did a far amount of research and talked to two different reps on the phone (25-40 mins). Also checked back with Verizon to see if they could come close to matching the T-Mobile offer in terms of credit towards upgrading to new phones (two lines for seniors). Even though we are 25+ year customers with Verizon, they won't offer anywhere near the same deals as those enticing other customers to switch to Verizon. I checked out there coverage by joining their network (I have an iPhone 13 which has eSim which allows me to get on the T-Mobile network - you have to down load their app to do this but it was easy) and found signal strength to be comparable to Verizon in my neighborhood near Kona (off Neck Rd).

In the end from a financial standpoint, the deal with T-Mobile was a no brainer. I got major credit for upgrading our paid off phones (much more than Verizon offered), $400 credit applied to my $100/month bill for G05G Plus plan (for two lines), free AAA for one year ($60), free Netflix and Apple TV for as long as I keep the plan (roughly $20/month total) and be able to upgrade my phone every two years. Since we are already AAA members and subscribe to Netlix and Apple TV, this equals $320 real savings in year one and $240/year in savings (Netflix and Apple TV) every year thereafter. There is also the possibility down the road of getting T-Mobile home internet at 5G for $30/month once bandwidth opens to more customers which would be a $35/month savings over what I am paying Spectrum with higher speeds on 5G. So we are taking the plunge. Wish me luck!
Good luck! I hope it works out for you as well as it has for me.

Old 10-24-2023, 05:06 PM   #70
WinnisquamZ

Can you talk about AAA and a discount for Netflix and Apple TV?

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 05:24 PM   #71
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Can you talk about AAA and a discount for Netflix and Apple TV?

Certain T-Mobile plans include Netflix and Apple TV. The AAA subscription is only for one year and for basic—an $80 credit, if I remember correctly.

Old 10-24-2023, 06:37 PM   #72
mishman

Default AAA and Netflix/Apple TV credit

That's correct - the AAA credit is for one year at basic rate (I think value is $60 or $65) but if you want higher level of AAA service, that basic amount applies towards it but only for one year (even if you are a current AAA member you can use the credit). Netflix and Apple TV free service is for the amount of time you keep T-Mobile (although in the fine print they reserve the right to change or rescind the offer in the future). It is, however, definitely in effect for the first year (and hopefully longer).
Verizon, in my humble opinion, is taking for granted their current, longstanding customers. I'll report back in a month or so to tell you how it is going in terms of coverage etc.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-24-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 08:14 AM   #73
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
I'll report back in a month or so to tell you how it is going in terms of coverage etc.
VERY interested to hear your feedback on coverage (not just around the Lake).

As mentioned previously, I too have been researching heavily the options and seem to always circle back to T-Mo but my ONLY hesitation is the coverage.

Love to hear back from you by late November ............ I will be pulling the trigger on one plan or another in early December.
Old 10-25-2023, 10:12 AM   #74
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Interesting since Comcast supposedly uses Verizon towers. Must have something to do with them leasing the capacity

My son travels to some remote places, he said any service other than Verizon had too many dropped calls.

Last edited by Biggd; 10-25-2023 at 12:20 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Phantom (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 11:45 AM   #75
gokart-mozart

Default Verizon Cell Coverage

My work makes cell reception essential, and I commute daily to Laconia or Concord from Wolfeboro.

Verizon is the only carrier that has coverage sufficient for my needs.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gokart-mozart For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 12 (10-26-2023)