Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2022, 04:53 PM   #1
MeredithMan

Default wheelchair accessible SUV

Totally not related to the lake, but does anyone have any experience purchasing a wheelchair-accessible SUV? My son will be graduating college in May and will need one to get to work, etc. There are plenty of wheelchair-accessible mini-vans, but he doesn't want to go that route. We have found two conversion companies that utilize a Chevy Traverse SUV, which would be fine, but they are significantly different price points, (approx $30K difference), for the same base vehicle. The two conversion companies are BraunAbility and ATC, and just trying to determine the pros and cons of each from someone that might have real-world user experience. thanks.
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:54 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Wheelchair athletes

I volunteer for the Wounded Warrier project and notice most wheelchair-bound athletes prefer cars or wagons over SUVs. The SUV is too high to get in and out of. Most prefer wagons such as Europeans Avants, estate, and Volvos. The converted minivans are way too expensive!

Try looking for a wagon even used and they are hard to find. Americans are too SUV crazy to justify a wagon market. I bought an allroad to benefit the veterans and I will never go back to an SUV. SUVs feel like an elephant on roller skates when driving around.
MeredithMan (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 11:34 AM   #3
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I volunteer for the Wounded Warrier project and notice most wheelchair-bound athletes prefer cars or wagons over SUVs. The SUV is too high to get in and out of. Most prefer wagons such as Europeans Avants, estate, and Volvos. The converted minivans are way too expensive!

Try looking for a wagon even used and they are hard to find. Americans are too SUV crazy to justify a wagon market. I bought an allroad to benefit the veterans and I will never go back to an SUV. SUVs feel like an elephant on roller skates when driving around.
Subaru wagons and crossovers are great car choices for people leaning toward SUVs--rugged, reliable, comfortable, AWD; and they start at a low enough price point that the modifications won't put the total price through the stratosphere.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
MeredithMan (03-09-2022)
Old 03-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #4
MeredithMan

Default The conversion prices are insane...

I was shocked when they told us the price...90 grand for a 2022 Chevy Traverse conversion. The mini-vans are equally expensive...even more, depending on the accommodations that the person requires. I really don't know how people afford these vehicles...

After doing some more research and speaking with our son's doctors, we've concluded that we don't need a fully-converted vehicle. He can drive a regular vehicle, he just needs assistance getting the wheelchair in and out, and they make a lift that mounts in the back of an SUV and will raise and lower the chair in and out. This will be a huge savings and much less hassle.
MeredithMan is online now   Reply With Quote