Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2022, 08:33 AM   #1
JTA

Default Older Seadoo service

My 2002 Seadoo GTX RFI suddenly began running poorly mid=ride as if plugs were fouling. I pulled the plugs and they look ok. So. It could be several other issues. The problem is finding someone to diagnose and service it. Dealer doesn’t want it … parts no longer available. I believe the issue can be resolved as the sled is sound with not a ton of hours. But who is around (I am in Moultonborough) that can handle this. I am done for the season. Would also consider winter storage and servicing in the spring.
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA View Post
My 2002 Seadoo GTX RFI suddenly began running poorly mid=ride as if plugs were fouling. I pulled the plugs and they look ok. So. It could be several other issues. The problem is finding someone to diagnose and service it. Dealer doesn’t want it … parts no longer available. I believe the issue can be resolved as the sled is sound with not a ton of hours. But who is around (I am in Moultonborough) that can handle this. I am done for the season. Would also consider winter storage and servicing in the spring.
There was an independent guy in Ossipee who was into finding solutions on older machines. I can't recall the name or if he was any good, but it may be worth searching.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:43 AM   #3
ITD

I just got rid of my 2000 gtx rfi because of the parts issue. They have rave valves in them. These carbon up and stop moving, or the actuator fails. More likely carboned up from your description. They are easy to pull apart and clean. Lots of youtube videos on it, watch a few of them and have at it. There is also a rotary valve in the engine that goes, if that's it then it's probably junk. Good luck.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
JTA (09-29-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 12:31 PM   #4
SAB1

We live in a disposable world now. Getting tough to find guys to work on older boats, sleds jet skis etc. pretty sad.
SAB1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 01:31 PM   #5
jetskier

Post Parts are a major issue

Hi all,

The biggest issue is getting parts. I have a 1996 GTX and a 2002 GTX-4Tec. All parts generally specific to those models are out of production and out of dealer stock. You have to typically find used parts from ebay.

As pointed out, independent shops are your best bet with older machines or doing your own work. The dealers are not really set up to deal with the older stuff.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2022, 11:12 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
We live in a disposable world now. Getting tough to find guys to work on older boats, sleds jet skis etc. pretty sad.
This raises an interesting point—how long is reasonable to expect a product to be supported? The OP's ski is >20 years-old...

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 04:27 PM   #7
ITD

I think 20 years is probably plenty for a recreational company to support a product. The thing about these sea doos is they are built well and last a long time if you take care of them and don't use them in salt water. I do wish once the manufacturer is done with them that they would make parts drawings and repair manuals available for other companies to produce. I looked it up and there are still quite a lot of parts available, including the rave valves, top ends and even rotary valves. If you are handy you should be able to fix these machines. But if you have to pay someone it probably wouldn't be worth it.

I bought a new one and got it a few months ago. They have come a long way in 20 years. Unfortunately they cost a lot more too.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
JTA (10-10-2022)