Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 05:15 AM   #1
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Very bad for two reasons this year.
The large resorts and camps in the lakes region rely on H2B
and J1 students with seasonal visas for much of their summer help and they are not getting many this year so they have to draw on the local labor pool to fill summer jobs.
Also,the enhanced unemployment benefits which are in effect through september, are causing people to just stay home and not work.
We are considering closing evenings for the summer because we just don't have enough staff to cover the shifts.
People are getting out more and it's shaping up for a big recovery this summer so it's going to be a struggle for many in the hospitality industry
I am sorry to hear that, have you considered paying living wage to attract more employees ? That could be a solution.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:11 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,163 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
I am sorry to hear that, have you considered paying living wage to attract more employees ? That could be a solution.
I found that question to be a little insulting. What evidence do you have that they don't make a "living wage"? They do.

The wages paid to waitstaff are assumed to be part of their compensation and obviously they make additional money with tips. They do quite well because of the way they treat customers.

I am familiar with several of the employees at VK and the majority have worked there for many years. That includes people working in the kitchen.

Any substantial increase in wages would result in a corresponding increase in prices. That would affect the balance that has worked well for many years.

Good food, fair prices, and a great staff. One of the reasons VK was able to remain open during the past year was the fair pricing and the dedication of the staff.

The employees wouldn't continue to work there if they weren't treated well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
farechofisherman (05-08-2021), tis (05-03-2021), upthesaukee (05-03-2021), Waterbaby (05-29-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:29 AM   #3
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I found that question to be a little insulting. What evidence do you have that they don't make a "living wage"? They do.
I am not trying to insult you or anyone else, though would love to see you surviving at $7.25 or even $15.00 an hour. 15 * 40 = $ 600 – taxes.
You think that is enough for a family per week ? This is a general question and has nothing to do with VK.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,163 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
I am not trying to insult you or anyone else, though would love to see you surviving at $7.25 or even $15.00 an hour. 15 * 40 = $ 600 – taxes.
You think that is enough for a family per week ? This is a general question and has nothing to do with VK.
Your question was directed at the owner of the Village Kitchen. When you asked if he had considered paying a living wage that implied that his employees did not make a living wage.

As a general answer to your question: I have worked at low paying jobs in the past like a Dairy Queen and a two different gas stations. The wages there were not enough to survive on or raise a family. So I got some training and got better jobs and as years went by, did better and better.

If is not necessary for every job to pay a "living wage". Some jobs come with an opportunity for advancement and others just places to earn a little extra money.

People have choices and are free to better themselves in any way they see fit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (05-05-2021), Waterbaby (05-29-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #5
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Your question was directed at the owner of the Village Kitchen. When you asked if he had considered paying a living wage that implied that his employees did not make a living wage.

As a general answer to your question: I have worked at low paying jobs in the past like a Dairy Queen and a two different gas stations. The wages there were not enough to survive on or raise a family. So I got some training and got better jobs and as years went by, did better and better.

If is not necessary for every job to pay a "living wage". Some jobs come with an opportunity for advancement and others just places to earn a little extra money.

People have choices and are free to better themselves in any way they see fit.
You are ASSUMING the fact that SAMIAM is the owner of VK is a public knowledge. I was not aware of that until you pointed out. I do not know where VK is, I have no idea who SAMIAM is, have never been there. Probably will visit one of these years.

Agreed, not all jobs have to pay living wage, but paying someone $ 7.25 an hour should be considered an insult when a gallon of milk goes for $ 3.xx.

By the way, congratulations on bettering yourself. I think we all worked at McDonalds, BK when we were kids.
All I am trying to say is "Let's not try to take advantage of people", they should be paid honest days of pay for honest day of work.
This also goes for local tradesmen, handymen, charging outrages rates just because there is a shortage.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-2021, 01:51 PM   #6
Outdoorsman

Quote:
That is not a fair statement at all!

Back in the mid 80's I worked as a bartender. I don't recall the hourly wage exactly but, as a "tipped employee" I was paid less than minimum wage. Perhaps 50% of Minimum wage/HR. The balance of my earnings was my tip money. If I recall correctly, the owner was responsible for making up the difference to equal minimum wage if my tips fell below the State Minimum.

On a Thurs, Fri, Sat night I would earn $200-$300 each night. So back in the 80's I earned between $600-$900 JUST IN TIPS on the weekends. Granted that was pre-tax. but to me, that alone is a "living wage".
Old 05-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,628 Times in 563 Posts

FLL continually brings up the $7.25 minimum wage but
no one in business that I know of has even considered that in years.
I think the lowest rate being offered is in the $9 to $10 range for 14/16 year old kids without skills for a seasonal job for some extra $$
Full time year round applicants are getting $12/$15 even as a training wage and skilled staff is now in the $20's due to supply and demand.
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (05-05-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:09 AM   #8
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

When the cost of living goes up it goes up for everyone. People making minimum wage aren't getting rich, they are just trying to survive. Just as the small business owner is trying to survive.
Wages are going up and prices will have to go up accordingly.
So when they report that inflation is under control, they are FOS!
Everyone is in the same situation so wages and prices will have to go up.
Old 05-04-2021, 08:16 AM   #9
MotorHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
FLL continually brings up the $7.25 minimum wage but
no one in business that I know of has even considered that in years.
I think the lowest rate being offered is in the $9 to $10 range for 14/16 year old kids without skills for a seasonal job for some extra $$
Full time year round applicants are getting $12/$15 even as a training wage and skilled staff is now in the $20's due to supply and demand.
Who is FLL, there is no such user handle
Old 05-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #10
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Who is FLL, there is no such user handle
He's the most prolific poster on here. He's full of knowledge, among other things.
Closed Thread