Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2024, 09:56 AM   #1
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc

Default Ice Out Articles Featuring Winni

Lake Winni and LWA have been featured in two news articles about declining ice coverage in our lakes during the winter.

1.) "These lakes are usually still frozen over. See how they look now. From Minnesota to Maine, ice is already gone from many lakes, earlier than ever witnessed" -Washington Post, Authors Scott Dance and Simon Ducroquet
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...heast-climate/

2.) "Earliest ice-out on record declared at N.H.’s Lake Winnipesaukee" -Boston Globe, By Emily Sweeney and Carlos R. Muñoz
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/03/...winnipesaukee/

P.S. Both articles are free to view, you might have to put in your email for Washington Post but there is not charge. For Boston Globe you can "X" out of the pop-up.
The Lake Winnipesaukee Association (LWA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the water quality and natural resources of Lake Winnipesaukee and its watershed. Through monitoring, education, stewardship, and science guided approaches for lake management, LWA works to ensure Winnipesaukee’s scenic beauty, wildlife habitat, water quality and recreational potential continues to provide enjoyment long into the future.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/
http://winnipesaukeegateway.org/

Last edited by Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc; 03-25-2024 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Forgot to add links.
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 10:49 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Take it for what it's worth, but many people on here will not trust The Washington Post or The Boston Globe, both left leaning publications.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
codeman671 (03-25-2024), TiltonBB (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 11:01 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Two things that quickly come to mind is it was an El Nino winter and we also have a lot of bubblers on the docks now which we never used to have.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 11:07 AM   #4
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Take it for what it's worth, but many people on here will not trust The Washington Post or The Boston Globe, both left leaning publications.
No truer words have ever been written!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-26-2024), Seaplane Pilot (03-25-2024), tis (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 11:34 AM   #5
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Two things that quickly come to mind is it was an El Nino winter and we also have a lot of bubblers on the docks now which we never used to have.
That would be this year...
The decline has been over time.

I don't see it as unusually for two reasons.

First, we used to have about a mile of glacier over our heads, so we know that the planet... or at least this area... has warmed steadily for some time.
In a natural pattern, the speed of warming would be slow... then pick up dramatically as you went up the bell curve... crest for a time at the top... and then fall slowly, then dramatically toward the bottom.
We should be in that dramatic warming period, that at most could be accelerated - but not halted without severe intervention.

Secondly, like the bubblers... I don't have data... but when you change the composition of water - it changes its freeze point. This is like us using salt on the roads.

It creates some issues... but adjusting to changes in environment is practically a part of New England DNA. Thus the quote - "If you don't like the weather, just wait a minute".
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2024, 11:38 AM   #6
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
As one who reads a plethora of news every day, left, right, and center, I am fascinated both by what shows up as news some places and not others and the different ways the same story is reported in different news outlets. Too many people get everything from the same source.

I hope that is not the case here and people gather information from lots of sources, even ones that are uncomfortable and/or unpopular.

That said, I am very concerned about the warming trend - this was the warmest winter on record in MA and the historical trend continues to show a rise in temperature.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-25-2024)
Old 03-25-2024, 12:40 PM   #7
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc View Post
Lake Winni and LWA have been featured in two news articles about declining ice coverage in our lakes during the winter.

1.) "These lakes are usually still frozen over. See how they look now. From Minnesota to Maine, ice is already gone from many lakes, earlier than ever witnessed" -Washington Post, Authors Scott Dance and Simon Ducroquet
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weath...heast-climate/

2.) "Earliest ice-out on record declared at N.H.’s Lake Winnipesaukee" -Boston Globe, By Emily Sweeney and Carlos R. Muñoz
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2024/03/...winnipesaukee/

P.S. Both articles are free to view, you might have to put in your email for Washington Post but there is not charge. For Boston Globe you can "X" out of the pop-up.
Putting in your email is a charge!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:48 PM   #8
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
No truer words have ever been written!
I take every news source with a grain of salt. They all slant their articles toward their political readers.
I prefer to make my own conclusions rather than be influenced by the political views of others.
I am a believer in "climate degradation", but I also have doubts we will ever stop it.
We are a society of excess and waste, which future generations will pay for.

Last edited by Biggd; 03-25-2024 at 06:39 PM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote