Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2021, 05:05 AM   #1
Ajd

Default Passing on the right at the intersection

Just an observation.... the intersection at the gas stations in wolfeboro is very dangerous. You can sit for what seems like forever waiting to get out. You get the last second blinkers, hardly anyone will let you out, and then once you find a small opening you nearly get side swiped by someone passing on the right (going toward high-school). It's passing on the right in that spot, where you need to cross the white line even legal? It creates the most dangerous of situations where this town has a lot of bigger vehicles and trailers.

What is the legality of passing on the right at that location? Are you even allowed to crud that white line to pass? There isn't a turning lane to go around.....

Why not install a rotary? Or even a traffic light?

Something needs to happen because I'm fed up as I'm sure a lot of people are. I've been nearly T boned upward of 20 times.
Ajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:12 AM   #2
Stilljester

Wolfeboro? (ie: Intersection of 109/28)
Stilljester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:15 AM   #3
Ajd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilljester View Post
Wolfeboro? (ie: Intersection of 109/28)
Yes, sorry I didn't specify what town. Fixed it

Exactly right
Ajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:55 AM   #4
TCC

I've only lived in Wolfeboro for seven years but I've never had any significant problems with that intersection and I pass through it fairly often. It does sometimes take some patience, but patience and alertness are just part of being a good driver. I suspect a rotary or traffic light would only increase the congestion and wait times.
TCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TCC For This Useful Post:
Heaven (09-10-2021)
Old 09-06-2021, 05:59 AM   #5
SAB1

I don’t believe the passing on the right is legal unless there is a designated lane to do so. That is a bugger if you are coming up 109 and want turn left to head up to Kingswood.
SAB1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2021, 06:17 AM   #6
DEJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajd View Post
Just an observation.... the intersection at the gas stations in wolfeboro is very dangerous. You can sit for what seems like forever waiting to get out. You get the last second blinkers, hardly anyone will let you out, and then once you find a small opening you nearly get side swiped by someone passing on the right (going toward high-school). It's passing on the right in that spot, where you need to cross the white line even legal? It creates the most dangerous of situations where this town has a lot of bigger vehicles and trailers.

What is the legality of passing on the right at that location? Are you even allowed to crud that white line to pass? There isn't a turning lane to go around.....

Why not install a rotary? Or even a traffic light?

Something needs to happen because I'm fed up as I'm sure a lot of people are. I've been nearly T boned upward of 20 times.
Your questions would be better answered by the Wolfeboro Police.
DEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:56 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCC View Post
I've only lived in Wolfeboro for seven years but I've never had any significant problems with that intersection and I pass through it fairly often. It does sometimes take some patience, but patience and alertness are just part of being a good driver. I suspect a rotary or traffic light would only increase the congestion and wait times.

I totally agree with you. If you think it's bad now, wish for a traffic light! They make things much worse. Years and years ago we used to have a cop downtown directing traffic and it was ALWAYS backed up. A light would do the same. You are better off being patient. Be careful what you wish for.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:51 AM   #8
FlyingScot

I drive through there often from all directions. There is nothing dangerous about passing on the right if the person you are passing is in the process of making a left turn, and of course, this is generally legal.

Also, if we were to forbid passing on the right, keeping 109 to a single lane in that spot, it would be even more difficult to make a left onto 109--the 109 drivers have the right of way, and there would be fewer gaps as everybody came to a stop to allow the turns off of 109.

Patience is a virtue
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #9
TheTimeTraveler

That particular intersection is due for a traffic light or a rotary. It's been up in the air for some time now and I have no idea if or when this will actually occur.

The advantage of a rotary is that if any accidents do occur then the generally are low speed accidents. The disadvantage is that traffic will indeed back up.

Meanwhile? Patience!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
camp guy

Default Passing on the right at the intersection

This topic has been discussed for years, many years, and the only sensible answer is what many posters have posted: have patience. I am not a civil engineer, but there once was a study done and a drawing produced showing what a round-a-bout would look like. If I remember correctly, it would have required a major geographic rearrangement of that entire intersection because once you opt for a round-a-bout you have to follow certain rules concerning sight lines, traffic lane widths, etc. etc., all of which would require massive changes to the landscape. A light would be worse (if you can believe it it).

This intersection is busy 12 months of the year, more so during the summer, but still quite busy the rest of the year. Exiting 3 Sisters gas station can be particularly tricky. I find it is sometimes necessary to exit onto Rt 28 and then turn around and come back up the hill and make a left turn to head south.

The best answer, as I said, is to follow the advice of previous posters and exercise caution and patience. During the Brewster school year this intersection is further confused by having Brewster students walking from campus to either 3 Sisters or Corner Store and not obeying the crosswalk areas.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote