Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
pops

Default Pop's Clam shell new summer hours.

Hello.

We will be closed on Tuesdays for the month of August.

Thank you.
Pop's
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
topwater

Pops
I have to say thanks to you and your staff. Last evening the wife and I drove down just to give you a try. Starting with the man who took the order to the people who put out the food very,very courteous.
Now, to the food....We bought a clam plate and a large order of onion rings( Which unless your a family of 12, I would not order ). The rings were delicious and plentiful, I,my wife, and everyone else sitting up top, laughed and talk about the size, Never in my life have I ever seen such a delicious pile of onion rings anywhere.
We had the clams seperate from the french fries and they were both as delicious and HUGE as the rings were. After we boxed up the last 4 lbs of onion rings and fries, we were heading out, and the gentleman was heading op the stairs with this delicious looking THING. I had to ask, he said it was a RODEO BURGER, just might have to try that next time.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #3
Jonas Pilot

I heat the leftover rings or fries in the oven and swear they taste even better the next day. I'll cook a hotdog or burger and have them as an awesome side. Then I go veggie for a couple of days.

Last edited by Jonas Pilot; 07-28-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
pops

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
Pops
I have to say thanks to you and your staff. Last evening the wife and I drove down just to give you a try. Starting with the man who took the order to the people who put out the food very,very courteous.
Now, to the food....We bought a clam plate and a large order of onion rings( Which unless your a family of 12, I would not order ). The rings were delicious and plentiful, I,my wife, and everyone else sitting up top, laughed and talk about the size, Never in my life have I ever seen such a delicious pile of onion rings anywhere.
We had the clams seperate from the french fries and they were both as delicious and HUGE as the rings were. After we boxed up the last 4 lbs of onion rings and fries, we were heading out, and the gentleman was heading op the stairs with this delicious looking THING. I had to ask, he said it was a RODEO BURGER, just might have to try that next time.
Thank You and I'm glad you enjoyed everything. The "man" That took your order was me. It was one of the few times I was able to sit in the order window. ThankYou for the compliments on our staff. We have been blessed with a great group of "kids". Some are my kids,my niece and three are from another family. I can't say enough good things about them. I couldn't do it without them. I will pass the compliment along to them.

Thanks again.
Pop's
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:
Pepper (07-29-2011), Slickcraft (07-29-2011), upthesaukee (07-28-2011)
Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Keep it up, Pops

Hope to see you Saturday night. Over to the dock with our new boat, then over to Pops for clams and rings. Then the concert at the bay. MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm good.

Thanks for the good food, and the chance for kids to find a place to work, and learn good work ethic, which is what you have done. Kudos to you.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
I heat the leftover rings or fries in the oven and swear they taste even better the next day. I'll cook a hot dog or burger and have them as an awesome side. Then I go veggie for a couple of days.
Jonas Pilot,
I am almost embarrassed to admit that for the first couple years going to Pops I was hooked on their hot dogs. Grilled roll and cooked to perfection. Couple of dogs with half of RG's onion rings was quite enjoyable. Now I am hooked on the clam strips and onion rings. Add a cold bottle of Pops root beer and the taste buds are very happy.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Flylady

Default The POP's experience

Topwater,
Nice to meet you at Pops on Wednesday. We (sister and I)were enjoying our seasonal visit for our clam and onion ring fix! We commented on being able to figure out first time customers verses repeat clients by what they order! Great food and great experience.
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #8
codeman671

I was there last Saturday night. The wait for ordering was about 15 minutes. I have never seen a line like that!

The fried clam and scallop plates are a bit pricey this year compared to other places we have been but the clam portion was definitely large. I paid $78 for 2 plates and 3 kids meals. Almost seemed like I got overcharged, didnt think about it until after I left.

Love those giant scallops!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
KayakinKid

With an afternoon of kayaking around Merrymeeting Marsh and Coffin Brook behind us, my Better Half and I headed to Pop's for dinner yesterday evening. After ishoot308's picture of Pop's seafood platter in another thread, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Mind you, I'm not the biggest seafood fan in the world, but the picture took me back to when I was really young, and Dad would take us to The Clam Bar, which was on Rt. 3 in Boscawen many years ago.

The food was excellent. The fried clams were delicious, and the haddock was light and flaky (well, my BH said it was haddock). As others have noted, the battering is not greasy after cooking, which makes it even better. The french fries were good, but I guess for some reason I was expecting something more. The orange freezes were DELICIOUS! It's a good thing I don't live near there, or I'd be a daily customer for those alone! We'll have to try the lemon slushie next time.

Eating Pop's food while sitting on the bench across the street and watching the boats go in and out, and people swimming nearby made for a very pleasant experience. My Better Half said that she enjoyed the day that I had planned, and that's all that matters, right?

And I'm not ashamed to admit that the reason I chose to kayak where we did was just so that we could try out Pop's. We will definitely be back!
KayakinKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #10
Skip

Thumbs up Clams or dogs to go with those rings????

Yikes...it's always Tuedays that I go by Pop's on my way to or from Tilton for NHSA stuff.

Guess I'll just have to make a special trip for those clams & rings....although you have whetted my appetitie for some 'dogs with your delicous description RG!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #11
topwater

Flylady, It was a pleasure meeting you as well. We're still laughing about the size of the onion rings. They were delicious the next night too.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:00 AM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default It's becoming a routine

Took our boat out in the wind yesterday afternoon. Pleased with its handling in the chop in Alton Bay. Ended up anchoring just inside Sandy Point for an hour or so, then on to the docks to tie up for supper and the concert.

Of course, it was over to Pops and we got the Clam Plate and a small order of rings. Delicious as always. $31. Just barely able to eat it all, just wife and I.

Codeman...I saw the scallop plate, and it seems as huge as the clams. Those two items alone are $50, and adding in the 3 kids meals (not sure what they had) and drinks if you ate there, I don't think $78 is out of line. Getting clams at other places may be near the $20 mark, but the portion size usually isn't as big. Anyway, hope you enjoyed it and will come back.

Thanks Pops. Saturday night is becoming an institution.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #13
fpartri497

Default POP`s

had the scollop plate last week. It was awesume as usual. I think It was $ 24.95. well worth the money fed the two of us and we where both full. Best seafood around the lake.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
MikeM

I moved from the lake 7 years ago now but I miss pops. I used to love the baby shrimp plate and a side of rings sitting up top watching the action at the docks.
nothing it here.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:51 AM   #15
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I moved from the lake 7 years ago now but I miss pops. I used to love the baby shrimp plate and a side of rings sitting up top watching the action at the docks.
nothing it here.
Hi Mike, great to see ya on the web.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #16
Seeker

Well we went for our annual pilgrimage to Pops on Thursday only to find them closed after our 50+mile trek. I should learn to call first. This would probably have been my last time there due to health issues.

The day wasn't a loss because we ate at Lyon's Den and the food was super as has been reported.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 09:00 PM   #17
Rattlesnake Guy

We were entertaining our Son's Girlfriend's parents for the weekend and they insisted on treating us to a diner out to say thanks. We went to Pop's by boat on Friday night and lets just say the amount and quality of food was great to us and great to them. It was a super experience for all.

Although we were successful at convincing them to only do side orders, they were shocked by the amount of food on a small side order. They insisted on a large side of onion rings for the 7 of us to split. 1/3 of the onion rings came home with us.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:04 AM   #18
Jonas Pilot

Anybody know when Pop's closes for the season?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #19
bclaker

Pop's was closed today. Don't know if it was closed for the season.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bclaker For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (09-11-2011)
Old 09-11-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
pops

Default Closed for the season.

We always close on Labor Day. Sorry we missed you. We will open for the 2012 season on the first Saturday in May.
I would like to thank all of our customers for a great season. We look forward to seeing you in May. Right now it's time to take a break and then my winter job until May.

Thank You
Pop's
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:
bclaker (09-18-2011), Flylady (09-17-2011), ishoot308 (09-11-2011), Jonas Pilot (09-11-2011), KPW (09-12-2011), Pepper (09-15-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (09-11-2011), riverat (09-15-2011), trfour (09-11-2011), upthesaukee (09-11-2011), winnisummergal (09-18-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 PM   #21
robmac

Thanks Pops,another season of getting great food at your place. Always great food and huge portions at a fair price. Rob
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #22
barefootbay

I'll second that !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote