Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2019, 08:07 AM   #1
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
What I have found are rentals are cheap versions of the real thing. I believe GM makes cars differently for sales to rental companies because of the cut rate prices.

I've driven a rental and driven a customers car of the same make and model and the rental almost always feels cheaper built. They usually have a lot more road noises and ride much harsher.
100% agree most rentals I have gotten from Chevy are awful. But I'm also not a Chevy guy. I lemon lawed a Tahoe back in 1999 and took a huge hit on depreciation on a Trailblazer after the Tahoe so after that I swore I'd never buy another Chevy again.

But I find this hard to believe... From a cost standpoint why would a company want to manage various lines of inventory and supply chain to make a vehicle simply to sell for car rentals? This exact reason is why car companies aren't select any options and any color and any anything you want and we will build it for you. Isn't it all about mass production and keeping everything uniform?
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,073 Times in 678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
100% agree most rentals I have gotten from Chevy are awful. But I'm also not a Chevy guy. I lemon lawed a Tahoe back in 1999 and took a huge hit on depreciation on a Trailblazer after the Tahoe so after that I swore I'd never buy another Chevy again.

But I find this hard to believe... From a cost standpoint why would a company want to manage various lines of inventory and supply chain to make a vehicle simply to sell for car rentals? This exact reason is why car companies aren't select any options and any color and any anything you want and we will build it for you. Isn't it all about mass production and keeping everything uniform?
It's kind of like buying a Makita impact driver from a tool supply company and buying what you think is the same tool from Home Depot. They look the same but the one at HD is made with cheaper materials just for HD at a discounted price. A lot of companies do that now.
We were just discussing this in the Pella window thread. The Pella windows you buy at Lowes aren't the same Pella windows you are going to get from the Pella store.
Biggd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 AM   #3
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It's kind of like buying a Makita impact driver from a tool supply company and buying what you think is the same tool from Home Depot. They look the same but the one at HD is made with cheaper materials just for HD at a discounted price. A lot of companies do that now.
We were just discussing this in the Pella window thread. The Pella windows you buy at Lowes aren't the same Pella windows you are going to get from the Pella store.
This has been going on for decades. 30+ years ago when I was selling electronics consumer reports would do a review on Sony model # 123456789 but the one we had in the store was #12345678A
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
Biggd (04-12-2019)