Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-31-2023, 09:04 AM   #1
XCR-700

Default Boating Safety

Is it just me, or are there way more crazy boating things going on this summer on WInnipesaukee.

I havent even been out on the water much this summer due to work demands and all the rain and my 4th case of COVID, but every time I am out I see multiple things that just shock me.

I'm seeing failures of very basic boat operation, not the nit pick stuff we sometimes see debated endlessly.

When you see people flying through the Witches, or having multiple people sitting on the edge of the bow of a cuddy cabin cruising at like 40 MPH, big boats curling huge dock destroying wakes, very aggressive drivers both on the open water and at the docks, or people struggling to get a boat on the dock with calm conditions and plenty of room and then they have 1/4" plain rope that is way too short for their dock lines, and so on and so on,,,

Maybe its just my timing, but I feel like I am seeing way more of these concerns this season.

And I'm also seeing lots of people that look totally inexperienced in what appears to be rental pontoon boats. And these boats are too often filled to the brim and none of the kids wearing life jackets! Too often they are either blowing through no wake zones, or going way to slow under the Weirs Beach bridge (due to the high flow rates) and not maintaining control, as if they are afraid of the boat and using a bit more throttle. And way too many other concerns to list.

Not trying to pick on anyone or group, just saying that I feel like the rate of these incidents is significantly higher than the already too common high volume of these problems we normally see.

At this point I have totally stopped visiting the lake on weekends, and even Fridays are now becoming too problematic for my tastes.

Maybe I am just getting old, but after 60 years of boating on Winnipesaukee, I am finding some days are just scary out there,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 10:34 AM   #2
gillygirl

Haven’t been on the water this season, but watched people trying to dock in Wolfeboro from the Marker 21 deck. There was some wind, but the number of people who had issues was unreal. Most weren’t even making an attempt at correction. Steve, you should stand at the docks handing out advertisements for your boat handling tutoring.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-31-2023, 10:47 AM   #3
Woodsy

XCR-700..

I attribute most of this to the crazy pandemic buying that occurred. Lots of people with very little knowledge and tons of $$$ decided to make Winni their playground when covid hit. It doesn't help that every marina on the lake rents boats!

There are still a lot of us "old school" types who were brought up on the water and were taught boat handling from a young age. Unfortunately that is not the norm today. Thankfully, the lake is large and despite the overwhelming number of boats and their unskilled drivers out there, accidents are few.

Woodsy
BroadHopper (09-04-2023), XCR-700 (09-01-2023)
Old 08-31-2023, 11:32 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
XCR-700..

I attribute most of this to the crazy pandemic buying that occurred. Lots of people with very little knowledge and tons of $$$ decided to make Winni their playground when covid hit. It doesn't help that every marina on the lake rents boats!

There are still a lot of us "old school" types who were brought up on the water and were taught boat handling from a young age. Unfortunately that is not the norm today. Thankfully, the lake is large and despite the overwhelming number of boats and their unskilled drivers out there, accidents are few.

Woodsy
I agree with the number of people who bought, but I think the bigger issue is that those people who bought are no longer as driven to do the right thing.

I don't totally blame them as social media has made being imperfect a sin whereas it once facilitated positive conversation/solutions.

My son and I make it a habit to help people dock whenever we visit Wolfeboro and, without exception, those who CLEARLY are new/inexperienced never ask for help...but are always thankful for it.

On the other hand, I feel like when I started boating in '14 that I could ask for help so much more easily.

Just my experience.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:08 PM   #5
The Real BigGuy

I think people are willing to help but are afraid to ask some if they need it because they are afraid of the negative reaction they’ll get.

I recently suggested to a boater that he pass a marker on the right side of a marker instead of the wrong side due to rocks. You’d think I insulted his manhood from his response. It is true, “No good deed goes unpunished!”

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2023, 12:24 PM   #6
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
I think people are willing to help but are afraid to ask some if they need it because they are afraid of the negative reaction they’ll get.

I recently suggested to a boater that he pass a marker on the right side of a marker instead of the wrong side due to rocks. You’d think I insulted his manhood from his response. It is true, “No good deed goes unpunished!”

Same thing happened to me in Sally's Gut. I was traveling from the east side of Stonedam Island, and a boat coming the other way was heading toward the wrong side of a black marker. Lots of boulders near the water surface, would have caused heavy damage to the hull and engine. I waved my arms and escalated from a loud warning to shouting at him to change his course. My reward, the dude started yelling at me, like a petulant child. I would have been grateful. Like Big says, no good deed goes unpunished. The next guy will not receive such a warning.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 12:37 PM   #7
znh

Had two incidents the last couple of weeks...

First, going to get gas at West Alton, come off plane 150 feet away from the entrance to the channel at the edge of the sandbar, a red jetboat right at the red marker floors it full throttle right in front of us making a very large 3+ foot wake wave coming right at us, nowhere for me to go, very large wave comes right over the bow, soaking all the teens sitting in front wearing sweatshirts, now all the bags, clothes, phones, etc...are soaking wet, guy driving the boat was laughing and the teenagers in his bow were making some odd hand gestures at the boats behind them...what a complete douchebag...

Second, coming back from tubing at Ames and we had my daughter and her boyfriend in the tube behind us on the way back to our house, we are going by the mooring field at Lake Shore Park and I was admittedly probably already too close to the mooring buoys, say about 75-80 feet from them, a huge center console, at least 28-30 feet, three large outboards, comes flying by us between me and the buoys, less then 40 feet from our boat, with a large red tube trailing behind us and us barely on plane, he had to be doing at least 28-30 MPH, I throw my hands up and they start acting like they have no idea what they did wrong and flip me off, wish I could have followed them to their destination to let them know how stupid and dangerous they were...
znh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 01:01 PM   #8
8gv

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=29049
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:38 PM   #9
ITD

I suppose it's pretty tough to admit when you are wrong for some people. Unfortunately the price may be too high to stand by and protect their ego.
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 04:24 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

I have gotten some nice responses like sorry and some disgusting words and gestures, not just the finger.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 07:49 AM   #11
XCR-700

Hoping things are better after this weekend,,,

Sounds like some of you have had even worse experiences than me.

The close proximity to other boats is clearly getting worse, but I dont normally worry about it until we get under say 50 feet. Not saying its right, I just dont get worked up over it. But under 50 feet and when the other operator does not seem to know what they are doing or are clearly being reckless is when it quickly becomes concerning to me. Once you get much closer than 50 feet and are at speed it can go wrong really quickly.

I am also surprised at how many people are either going way too fast under the Weirs bridge, or so slow they are struggling to control their boat. Same for people running really fast and only throttling back the second they pass a no wake marker, or taking off the second they clear the marker. Its as if they dont get that the high water levels are extra problematic when your in no wake zones and to just take it a bit easy.

Be safe out there, clearly it goes wrong too easily and the result is never good.

ATB
Old 09-01-2023, 07:51 AM   #12
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Haven’t been on the water this season, but watched people trying to dock in Wolfeboro from the Marker 21 deck. There was some wind, but the number of people who had issues was unreal. Most weren’t even making an attempt at correction. Steve, you should stand at the docks handing out advertisements for your boat handling tutoring.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I've been very busy this summer...many, even seasoned boaters, have been putting their egos aside and asked for help. Kudos to them, and seeing the smiles on their faces when they finally get what they've been doing wrong for all these years... priceless!

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
Old 09-01-2023, 11:57 AM   #13
Lake Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Hoping things are better after this weekend,,,

Sounds like some of you have had even worse experiences than me.

The close proximity to other boats is clearly getting worse, but I dont normally worry about it until we get under say 50 feet. Not saying its right, I just dont get worked up over it. But under 50 feet and when the other operator does not seem to know what they are doing or are clearly being reckless is when it quickly becomes concerning to me. Once you get much closer than 50 feet and are at speed it can go wrong really quickly.

I am also surprised at how many people are either going way too fast under the Weirs bridge, or so slow they are struggling to control their boat. Same for people running really fast and only throttling back the second they pass a no wake marker, or taking off the second they clear the marker. Its as if they dont get that the high water levels are extra problematic when your in no wake zones and to just take it a bit easy.

Be safe out there, clearly it goes wrong too easily and the result is never good.

ATB
I've also noticed a big increase in operators who refuse to give way when required, or who, with a little situational awareness, could change course a bit to eliminate a pinch point. I believe it's a combination of entitlement, coupled with strict adherence to the navigation lines on the GPS.

The "boat rage" is off the charts also. I've been flipped off for just for trying to avoid some bonehead who's on a collision course with me.

No doubt about it, it's been like the wild, wild west out on the water this summer, but Fall is coming...
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2023, 01:01 PM   #14
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Fan View Post
I've also noticed a big increase in operators who refuse to give way when required, or who, with a little situational awareness, could change course a bit to eliminate a pinch point. I believe it's a combination of entitlement, coupled with strict adherence to the navigation lines on the GPS.

The "boat rage" is off the charts also. I've been flipped off for just for trying to avoid some bonehead who's on a collision course with me.

No doubt about it, it's been like the wild, wild west out on the water this summer, but Fall is coming...
Its obviously hard to know what another boater is thinking unless you have a personal interaction with them, but my gut tells me some of these folks are honestly unaware of the combination of the rules and the practical matters of operation. (and they are not always the same or even in agreement with each other) I suspect some of the rental boat operators have never driven a boat before!

Then some are like kids with a new bike riding around on public football/soccer/etc fields raising a little hell in what they feel is a safe environment and not realizing the dangers of operating a 50 MPH power boat on a lake like Winnipesaukee.

Then you have just the pure arrogant jackasses. I see so many of the entitled types just decide to cut you off whenever they feel, or power into a no wake zone at full speed and cut the throttle only after the bow is on the other side of the marker. And what surprises me is that its not just the wakeboat - big money people doing this, though there are plenty of them. I also see so many "senior" captains running modest older boats and driving them like they own the lake and get out of their way of you will get run over. They will jump the line at the docks and look you in the eye and tell you they were there first when they were in fact the LAST one in line! And so on and so on. And then there are the "cabin cruiser" guys curling 3 - 4 foot wakes all over the lake that rival the wakeboat people i their ability to wreak havoc.

Pretty much its like you said, the wild west, well at least on some days.

Be safe/ATB
Old 09-01-2023, 07:09 PM   #15
8gv

It's pretty simple to me.

You know all those farging iceholes menacing the highways?

They bought boats.

🤬
Old 09-02-2023, 09:01 AM   #16
camp guy

Default Boating Safety

(Vehicle) driver's licenses have to be renewed every few years, maybe Boater Safety cards should be renewed every few years, and include an actual driving the boat test. I know, manpower shortages would preclude such activity, but it is an idea.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (09-02-2023)
Old 09-02-2023, 12:14 PM   #17
retired

We've also seen many illegal and dangerous operations this summer. It's the same every year. The answer is education and enforcement. I know Marine Patrol is understaffed and all the boaters know it and are more likely to break the rules. I seriously doubt that many boaters have a safe boating certificate. Especially those on personal water craft. The state needs to allocate more funds to the issue, and hire more officers.
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 01:33 PM   #18
tis

I think enforcement is the only answer. And the MP need to know the rules as well if they are going to enforce them. They need to know what no wake means and all the rafting rules, distances etc.
Old 09-02-2023, 03:42 PM   #19
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
(Vehicle) driver's licenses have to be renewed every few years, maybe Boater Safety cards should be renewed every few years, and include an actual driving the boat test. I know, manpower shortages would preclude such activity, but it is an idea.
I’m not sure this would solve the problem. No amount of testing, written or practical, can solve willful neglect. All/the vast majority of drivers take and pass a road test yet we all see what a s____ show driving can be.

Old 09-02-2023, 05:57 PM   #20
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired View Post
We've also seen many illegal and dangerous operations this summer. It's the same every year. The answer is education and enforcement. I know Marine Patrol is understaffed and all the boaters know it and are more likely to break the rules. I seriously doubt that many boaters have a safe boating certificate. Especially those on personal water craft. The state needs to allocate more funds to the issue, and hire more officers.
That would mean higher registration costs.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2023, 08:47 PM   #21
camp guy

Default Boating Safety

Please don't confuse me with a "Mary Poppins" or a "PolyAnna", but, in reality, a significant number of boating and car "stupid" acts would be solved if drivers (of either and/or both) would start using a little common sense. It's a big Lake, there is plenty of room for everyone; the roads are generally good, and traffic usually runs fairly smoothly, so I ask one question - Why is everyone in such a hurry? Not knowing the answer, I can't respond, but, it seems to me, a few extra seconds isn't going to ruin anybody's day. Relax, everybody, we live in one of the nicest places there is to live - enjoy it. Good night.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (09-02-2023)
Old 09-03-2023, 07:00 AM   #22
The Real BigGuy

I agree whole heartedly

Old 09-03-2023, 08:34 AM   #23
John Mercier

When I drove Belmont to Meredith... I would only see it from Belmont to Laconia at the lights between 106/Elm/Meredith Center. Now that I drive Belmont to Bristol using that route... I see it all the way to I-93 in New Hampton. Saturdays being slower in the morning.

My guess... a lot of residents working south to afford their lifestyle in the Lakes Region.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:30 AM   #24
dmjr

The bottom line is how I see things nowadays - is that there is ABSOLUTELY no respect if you are either operating a boat or a motor vehicle.

It still boggles my mind that a few weeks ago a New York motorist gave me the middle finger, followed me into a shopping center parking lot and made vulgar statements on how I drive and from New Hampshire.

We all can thank Covid, aka the China Virus as to how people act these days!
Old 09-03-2023, 10:38 AM   #25
John Mercier

I work in retail.
It existed before covid.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:26 PM   #26
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I work in retail.
It existed before covid.
Been there, done that, concur.
Old 09-03-2023, 01:21 PM   #27
The Real BigGuy

Long before Covid

Old 09-03-2023, 05:04 PM   #28
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Went out from 12:30-4:30 today, and it was out of control.

Weather was great, though, so we boated defensively and had fun.

Hope y'all had a great day!

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 05:19 PM   #29
tis

We knew before we went it would be crazy so we didn't plan to go far-and we didn't.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:42 AM   #30
belawinn

Not just you. This is only my 8th summer boating on Winni and we’ve made the same observation. It’s bananas out there. Not sure if people don’t know the rules or don’t care. Saturday 9/2 saw a guy on plane go around Sentor Cove. Not only a no wake area but also many boats anchored and people in the water. Not even close to 150 feet away from anything let alone 300 feet from swimmers. When people honked and motioned for him to slow or shouted “No wake” the captain proudly double flipped the bird. Battle of the morons out there….

belawinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 09:26 AM   #31
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by belawinn View Post
Not just you. This is only my 8th summer boating on Winni and we’ve made the same observation. It’s bananas out there. Not sure if people don’t know the rules or don’t care. Saturday 9/2 saw a guy on plane go around Sentor Cove. Not only a no wake area but also many boats anchored and people in the water. Not even close to 150 feet away from anything let alone 300 feet from swimmers. When people honked and motioned for him to slow or shouted “No wake” the captain proudly double flipped the bird. Battle of the morons out there….

I truly think most of them don't care. MP was here for quite a while a couple of days ago (one of their rare visits so the neighborhood was shocked) and the boats were going slow, not making wakes etc. It seemed like a different place. Just the presence of MP made a big difference.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:08 AM   #32
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by belawinn View Post

300' ? Have I misunderstood the regulation? I thought it was 150' for everything.
Old 09-06-2023, 10:19 AM   #33
retired

Nice that Labor Day is over and we get the lake back. Till next weekend...
retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 11:23 AM   #34
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
300' ? Have I misunderstood the regulation? I thought it was 150' for everything.
It is 150 ft.

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:35 PM   #35
belawinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
It is 150 ft.
My mistake. Not sure why I thought that. Just double checked the rule book. Thanks for the correction!

belawinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 04:50 AM   #36
ApS

Lightbulb Again, It Falls To the NHMP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatfly View Post
It is 150 ft.
...and when under 150 ft, it is "no-wake" time...

Try telling that to a Jet-Skier!

Amazing how many ejected tubers and fallen "Wake-Surfers" are left behind exceeding the 150 ft limit. (While showing only their heads above water. ).

I'd suggest the MPs carry a "card-punch". A second punch would mean a longer discussion held to re-review New Hampshire's boating rules. A third punch would invite suspension.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-12-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 06:26 AM   #37
ThePlut

Default This year - worst

I've been on Winnipesaukee 30+ years. It's always been crazy on busy summer weekends, but I've always been able to chalk up some of the insanity to inexperience, people having bad days, making mistakes, etc... Everyone has a learning curve, I don't have much road rage anyway so I take care of my own and go about my day.

This year, wow, this year it seemed more willful, don't care, me first attitude. Big boats and big egos, don't know, don't care type. Driving behind skiers, failure to yield, 150' is a suggestion, 50' should be ok.

Considering getting myself a paintball gun with a range of 100ft or so. You get hit, you were way too close...

Whatever, still had a great summer.
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 06:39 AM   #38
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
...and when under 150 ft, it is "no-wake" time...

Try telling that to a Jet-Skier!

Amazing how many ejected tubers and fallen "Wake-Surfers" are left behind exceeding the 150 ft limit. (While showing only their heads above water. ).

I'd suggest the MPs carry a "card-punch". A second punch would mean a longer discussion held to re-review New Hampshire's boating rules. A third punch would invite suspension.

Without question the jet skiers are the most arrogant and the most likely rule to disobey the no wake rule. I am sure MP keeps track of their stops already.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-10-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 07:02 AM   #39
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlut View Post
This year, wow, this year it seemed more willful, don't care, me first attitude. Big boats and big egos, don't know, don't care type. Driving behind skiers, failure to yield, 150' is a suggestion, 50' should be ok.

And why should we expect boaters to be any different than the general public at large?

By the way, I actually asked the marine patrol about the paintball gun idea years ago. Their response, “Nope! It would be considered assault.” No potato guns, not even a big squirt gun.

Old 09-07-2023, 07:07 AM   #40
Donzi Minx

Thumbs up Boating Safety

To the wicked kind gentleman that was anchored around the witches yesterday one thousand thanks for waving me off. Heat, distraction, and just plain old not
paying enough attention. Bless you for your concern for safety and your diligence!
Donzi Minx is offline   Reply With Quote