Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Jet Ski Explodes- Moultonborough

I was sitting on the beach and heard a loud explosion. It sounded like a transformer exploding or decent size firework (except for the 145 PM time).

Turns out it was a jet ski. Best of luck to the riders in their recovery!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/new...mment-19900515
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #2
brk-lnt

Had that happen to me once. Fortunately I wasn't on it, but was walking it out to deeper waters and went to start it to idle along. Loud boom, and bits of hot fiberglass embedded in my arms. The seat went about 20ft in the air (this was a '92-era Waverunner).

The funny thing was, we had tons of modified 'skis, this was the only stock one on the beach, and it was the one that blew up.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Oh my gosh, Vita! You were there??? What a shame! ( about the accident)
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Dave R

Do PWCs have bilge blowers? Seems like that one could have used one... Hope the people are OK.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
jrc

Most PWC are exempt from the bilge blower rules.

Hope no one was hurt.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Most PWC are exempt from the bilge blower rules.

Hope no one was hurt.
I believe the manufacturer says you should do a safety check list before starting and driving your PWC, and that list includes removing the seat to exhaust any trapped gas fumes. I check the oil every couple of days but admit I never "vent" my PWCs before a ride.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
LadyoftheLake (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
chipj29

They had pictures on the WMUR news last night. The explosion blew the top half right off the hull, at the seam. I have seen pics of explosions before, but nothing like this. I would say that the riders were lucky. An explosion of that magnitude could have been a lot worse.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
RailroadJoe

And, they will be suing who? After all, no more common sense and we are no longer responsible for our own actions.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

It amazes me the number of times I have seen people hop on one and start it right up. Even after it has been sitting in the hot sun for hours. One little leak or errant fill up and the fumes can combust like that. A minute of extra care and that probably would not have happened. However we will have to see what the Marine Patrol says. I am glad the injuries were not as serious as they could have been. Poor little girl will be terrified of those Jet ski things, now for ever....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
It amazes me the number of times I have seen people hop on one and start it right up. Even after it has been sitting in the hot sun for hours. One little leak or errant fill up and the fumes can combust like that. A minute of extra care and that probably would not have happened. However we will have to see what the Marine Patrol says. I am glad the injuries were not as serious as they could have been. Poor little girl will be terrified of those Jet ski things, now for ever....
Doesn't amaze me at all. I do it all the time with a reasonable expectation that nothing will happen. This is obviously an isolated incident as this rarely happens. Anything could have happened, there's no facts out there so I don't think it's worth speculating that a minute of extra care would have stopped this. For all we know the guy might have checked his jet ski ten times over beforehand and it still happened.

On the positive side, it's nice to know they're not seriously injured. I was on my porch reading and knew something blew up. Extremely loud and was no M-80 sound.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
dave603

Default This brings up a question.

I was always taught to start the blower on my boat before starting for at least 5 minutes. ( by an Navy Chief Bosun, who you better listen to )
I tow my boat up usually, so I gas up off lake. Often just before I launch.
Recently while waiting for a space at the launch ramp, which was taking quite awhile, someone came up to me and said "Do you know your blower is running", like it was unheard of to him.

How often do you run the blower before start, for me it's still going to be always.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
boat_guy64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
And, they will be suing who? After all, no more common sense and we are no longer responsible for our own actions.

Comments like this just aren't needed. How do you know that anyone did anything irresponsible. Do you check under the seat every time you start your PWC? Even if it is the 20th time you started it that day??? I doubt it and I doubt that anyone does.

Sounds like a terrible accident and I hope that everyone gets well fast.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to boat_guy64 For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (08-20-2013), flatlander02138 (08-20-2013), hig (08-19-2013), NHKathy (08-20-2013), Phantom (08-23-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave603 View Post
I was always taught to start the blower on my boat before starting for at least 5 minutes. ( by an Navy Chief Bosun, who you better listen to )
I tow my boat up usually, so I gas up off lake. Often just before I launch.
Recently while waiting for a space at the launch ramp, which was taking quite awhile, someone came up to me and said "Do you know your blower is running", like it was unheard of to him.

How often do you run the blower before start, for me it's still going to be always.
Always as well, but I don't do it for a specific amount of time. Instead, I put my nose right in the output airflow and sniff for gas fumes. Once I know there are no fumes, I know I'm safe to start the engine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
dave603 (08-19-2013), LIforrelaxin (08-21-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
Newbiesaukee

I do it 4-5 min each time. I was surprised at the Center Harbor Docks today by a guy in a beautiful Formula who came with a bunch of teens, got on the boat and started right up. I guess it is possible he just stopped but that did not appear to be the case.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
ITD

Maintenance is important, I have two Sea doos, no blower on either, I have also never, and I mean never had the smell of gasoline in either one. I would guess that either a fuel leak or a battery problem caused this. I'm curious as to how old this pwc was and if it was a maintenance issue or a defect. Pound for pound gasoline has more energy (bigger boom potential) than TNT, not something to mess with.....

I also have a boat, and use the blower every time. But I have never smelled gas in the engine compartment of my boat either. IF YOU SMELL GAS IN YOUR ENGINE COMPARTMENT, SOMETHING IS WRONG AND SHOULD BE FIXED IMMEDIATELY.....

Last edited by ITD; 08-19-2013 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added last two sentences....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (08-22-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
RailroadJoe

Boat guy64
Just stating what happens when any lawyer gets involved. I hate to see any one hurt do to any reason, but the type of lawyers now in our judical system seem to be more interested in their cut and not the fact that someone was injured.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #17
songkrai

MOULTONBOROUGH, N.H. (AP) — A man and his 8-year-old passenger have suffered injuries after their jet ski exploded and they were thrown into Lake Winnipesaukee.

"The state Marine Patrol says 56-year-old Steven Mitton of Andover, Mass., suffered a broken pelvis in the accident around 1:45 p.m. Sunday. His passenger suffered a cut on her head. They were taken to a local hospital for treatment.

The Marine Patrol says the explosion occurred when Mitton attempted to start his vessel.

WMUR-TV reports (bit.ly/16VhkrH) the girl is Mitton’s niece and that they were in a jet ski at the lake.

‘‘It was very loud. I say it sounded like a stick of dynamite exploding,’’ said Tom Casale, of the Deepwood Lodge Homeowners Association, told WMUR.

The accident is being investigated."

LINK
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #18
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Must have been a malfunction.....jet ski's are not designed to be vented.....same as outboard engines.
"Nothing to see here" no lawyers needed.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
NHKathy (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Maintenance is important, I have two Sea doos, no blower on either, I have also never, and I mean never had the smell of gasoline in either one. I would guess that either a fuel leak or a battery problem caused this. I'm curious as to how old this pwc was and if it was a maintenance issue or a defect. Pound for pound gasoline has more energy (bigger boom potential) than TNT, not something to mess with.....

I also have a boat, and use the blower every time. But I have never smelled gas in the engine compartment of my boat either. IF YOU SMELL GAS IN YOUR ENGINE COMPARTMENT, SOMETHING IS WRONG AND SHOULD BE FIXED IMMEDIATELY.....
From the pics I saw, looked to be a 98 or 99 Sea Doo GSX (2-stroke).
Old 08-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Must have been a malfunction.....jet ski's are not designed to be vented.....same as outboard engines.
"Nothing to see here" no lawyers needed.
Um, not quite. An outboard hangs over the water and has a very small vented airspace. A jet ski is a hull that can contain low-lying fumes. But, yes, must've been a fuel leak somewhere.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #21
Dave M

Default Just Wondering

I'm not electrcal but I always wondered since the blower is an electrical device, why wouldn't that cause an explosion if there were fumes in engine compactment. Could be a faulty blower. I also run the fan but a lot of times I also lift the cover to the the compartment. I also do this before anybody gets in the boat.

Dave M
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #22
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I too lift the engine cover...

I like to open the cover and stick my head down into the compartment and take a couple of good sniffs...I too have often wondered what would happen if there was a problem with the blower and a spark occurred.

I leave the cover open while I start the engine...if anything happens, at least the blast has an easy way to get out of the compartment, ie the path of least resistance.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #23
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I'm not electrcal but I always wondered since the blower is an electrical device, why wouldn't that cause an explosion if there were fumes in engine compactment. Could be a faulty blower. I also run the fan but a lot of times I also lift the cover to the the compartment. I also do this before anybody gets in the boat.

Dave M
The blower motors are ignition protected per SAE J1171 standard and not likely to suffer any sort of arcing fault like you'd get with a loose battery or starter connection (I imagine those kinds of faults cause more explosions than a failure of spark shielding on any J1171 rated device). As anyone that's ever messed around with a two stroke engine's combustion chamber design will tell you, it's pretty easy to shield a spark and prevent ignition...

That said, the blower motors that I have looked at appear to have brush motors (they certainly do not advertise that they are brushless). With the huge selection of brushless DC motors on the market, I cannot imagine why they don't use them, I cannot think of a better application for a brushless motor.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:35 AM   #24
Denny Crane

Default seadooo seats

I know on a lot of sea doos, if not all, in order to open the engine compartment seat the seat for the third rider must come off first, then the main seat. If they made it easier with one click to open the main seat more people would open it up and air it out. Pain in the neck or not, I'm going to do it now. I hope. DC
Denny Crane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #25
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
I know on a lot of sea doos, if not all, in order to open the engine compartment seat the seat for the third rider must come off first, then the main seat. If they made it easier with one click to open the main seat more people would open it up and air it out. Pain in the neck or not, I'm going to do it now. I hope. DC
You are correct, but newer Sea Doos come with a single seat, even on the 3-seaters.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:46 AM   #26
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I personally periodically take the seat off my seadoo and inspect the compartment. Looking for fume odor etc. I don't do it every time but at least once a weekend, and always after I fill up.....
Old 08-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #27
RumGuy

Default Look

It's not a bad idea to take a look under the engine cover prior to heading out regardless. Check the oil, look at what's floating in the bilge, look for anything unusual. I have never found anything different in a positive way, like a lost $20 for example, but I have noticed things that have kept me from having a bad day on the Lake. Only few things can cause a bad day on the Lake, and (to me anyway) a boat can be the fastest way to one.
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #28
RumGuy

Default Positive

I didn't intend for my previous post to sound negative, as the boat has actually given me uncountable great times out there. It's like your kids: a whole lot of happy, but every now and again........
RumGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #29
SigSauer

Default Some people......

Quote:
The PWC was just recently repaired by Irwin marine, hence the reason the WMUR article references that Marine Patrol will be investigating the situation. Marine Patrol confiscated the PWC for evidence.

Someone that feels the need to comment negatively without knowing any details of the situation, clearly should be monitoring their own actions.
SigSauer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SigSauer For This Useful Post:
NHKathy (08-23-2013)
Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #30
RailroadJoe

Sig S Actually I have found that many of our lawyer friends (?) have a tendancy to try and find any way to make money. These are the ones that help give lawyers a bad name.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #31
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Here we go again.

I have people that say 'Don't trust lawyers', and I have people say 'Don't trust accountants or doctors'. It all depends on who you know. There are bad professionals weaseling out a future for themselves and there are great professionals who's only concern is your welfare. So don't generalized professionals.

I have a family lawyer who work for a large firm, whom I trust and even though he is expensive, in the long run he is far cheaper than a small office lawyer who charges a third of his price.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:32 PM   #32
dave603

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I have people that say 'Don't trust lawyers', and I have people say 'Don't trust accountants or doctors'. It all depends on who you know. There are bad professionals weaseling out a future for themselves and there are great professionals who's only concern is your welfare. So don't generalized professionals.

I have a family lawyer who work for a large firm, whom I trust and even though he is expensive, in the long run he is far cheaper than a small office lawyer who charges a third of his price.
Same as good cops and bad cops, every job has them.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #33
hig

Quote:
Sig S Actually I have found that many of our lawyer friends (?) have a tendancy to try and find any way to make money. These are the ones that help give lawyers a bad name.
I am have tendency to try and find a way to make money. Isn't that to be encouraged over the alternative?
hig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #34
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumGuy View Post
It's not a bad idea to take a look under the engine cover prior to heading out regardless. Check the oil, look at what's floating in the bilge, look for anything unusual. I have never found anything different in a positive way, like a lost $20 for example, but I have noticed things that have kept me from having a bad day on the Lake. Only few things can cause a bad day on the Lake, and (to me anyway) a boat can be the fastest way to one.

I found a Lawyer in the bilge one time.
Old 08-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #35
fpartri497

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
You are correct, but newer Sea Doos come with a single seat, even on the 3-seaters.
yes a single seat and its not hinged either. and its heavy and awkward to lift off while its in the water.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #36
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

Guess nobody is going to want to trust me as I fall under one of those categories and am in process of making it two

Last edited by Shreddy; 08-26-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote