Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
sir james

Default Drivers license for snowmobile trails

I just heard something about riders needing a valid nh drivers license to operate on the public trails. Does this mean my children can no longer ride with me out there?
sir james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
RLW

Smile

sir james, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends. I think the question about drivers license for snowmobiling doesn't sound right to me, but I guess the both of us will have to wait for more knowledgeable people to throw their 2¢’s into the thread.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Here you go!

You cannot operate a snowmobile if your driver's license is currently suspended or revoked.

Any operator between 12 years old and under 18 must provide proof of having completed an OHRV Safety Education Course.

Operator's 14 or younger must be accompanied by a licensed adult older than 18.

Helmets are required for all operators under 18.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
sir james

Ok great. I knew there was some confusion. I hope what you say stays true!!! Thx for the response
Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
nhboat61

So, if you are:
19+ - you need not have the safety course ?

under 18 - you need the course ?

I was reading the law posted here yesterday and got a little more then confused.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhboat61 View Post
So, if you are:
19+ - you need not have the safety course ?

under 18 - you need the course ?

I was reading the law posted here yesterday and got a little more then confused.
Yup. I just ride under my NC license. Hopefully there will be something to actually ride on this year.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #7
HellRaZoR004

I went through the course and would recommend it to those of any age.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Paugus Bay Resident

It's been a few years since I snowmobiled in NH, but I do recall an age restriction when the trail crossed a public road. We always had to cross the sleds of the younger riders with us. Don't know if that's still the case.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Skip

Default A few more details....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paugus Bay Resident View Post
It's been a few years since I snowmobiled in NH, but I do recall an age restriction when the trail crossed a public road. We always had to cross the sleds of the younger riders with us. Don't know if that's still the case.
ishoot308 had some excellent info in his earlier post. I am very fortunate to get to teach many youngsters each year how to safely operate a sled, as I serve as a Volunteer Youth Safety Instructor for the fine folks at NH Fish & Game. So hopefully I can fill in some of the blanks here.

As to your question, in order to legally cross a road (at an approved trail crossing only) by yourself you must be at least 12 years of age. Additionally (if you don't have a valid driver's license) you must have on your person a Youth Safety License.

In New Hampshire to legally operate a snowmobile off of your own property you must, if 12 or 13, have on your person a Youth Safety License. Additionally you must be under the direct supervision of someone 18 or older that holds a valid Driver's License.

14 and 15 year olds can operate on their own without direct adult supervision with the Youth Safety License.

16 and 17 year olds must have either a Youth Safety License or Driver's License to operate off thier own property.

18 and above must have a valid driver's license. No special snowmobile license is currently required for properly licensed drivers 18 or above.

There are many Youth Safety Classes offered annually across the State to allow children the proper training each season. Click HERE to view the current schedule.

Realizing that many youths are from out of State and it can be difficult for them to travel to NH specifically to get their license, NH Fish & Game is currently exploring additional options to allow easier access th the class material and testing. It is the goal to get the training into every child's hands prior to them hitting the trails. Teaching the classes is always one of the highlights of working with my local snowmobile Club and the friends I've made at Fish & Game!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skip For This Useful Post:
nhboat61 (01-17-2013), VitaBene (01-17-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
NHWakesurfer

Thanks Skip that is very helpful info. I tried the link provided and it didn't seem to show anything. I went to F&G web site and it wasn't showing it there either. I have a soon to be 12yr old that would need to take this class but I don't think any are being done around the north end of the lake and the ones I saw elsewhere were all full. If anyone hears of any around the Ctr Harbor, Moultonboro, Meredith areas please let me know. I know Moultonboro did one back in early Dec but we couldn't make that one.

thank you
NHWakesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHWakesurfer View Post
Thanks Skip that is very helpful info. I tried the link provided and it didn't seem to show anything. I went to F&G web site and it wasn't showing it there either. I have a soon to be 12yr old that would need to take this class but I don't think any are being done around the north end of the lake and the ones I saw elsewhere were all full. If anyone hears of any around the Ctr Harbor, Moultonboro, Meredith areas please let me know. I know Moultonboro did one back in early Dec but we couldn't make that one.

thank you
For some reason the F&G site is down today. Check it again in the am.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 PM   #12
sir james

Lightbulb

Thx everyone for the helpful feedback. Starting to get a clear picture now
Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
ishoot308 had some excellent info in his earlier post. I am very fortunate to get to teach many youngsters each year how to safely operate a sled, as I serve as a Volunteer Youth Safety Instructor for the fine folks at NH Fish & Game. So hopefully I can fill in some of the blanks here.

As to your question, in order to legally cross a road (at an approved trail crossing only) by yourself you must be at least 12 years of age. Additionally (if you don't have a valid driver's license) you must have on your person a Youth Safety License.

In New Hampshire to legally operate a snowmobile off of your own property you must, if 12 or 13, have on your person a Youth Safety License. Additionally you must be under the direct supervision of someone 18 or older that holds a valid Driver's License.

14 and 15 year olds can operate on their own without direct adult supervision with the Youth Safety License.

16 and 17 year olds must have either a Youth Safety License or Driver's License to operate off thier own property.

18 and above must have a valid driver's license. No special snowmobile license is currently required for properly licensed drivers 18 or above.

There are many Youth Safety Classes offered annually across the State to allow children the proper training each season. Click HERE to view the current schedule.

Realizing that many youths are from out of State and it can be difficult for them to travel to NH specifically to get their license, NH Fish & Game is currently exploring additional options to allow easier access th the class material and testing. It is the goal to get the training into every child's hands prior to them hitting the trails. Teaching the classes is always one of the highlights of working with my local snowmobile Club and the friends I've made at Fish & Game!
Thank you for teaching and volunteering Skip!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
mikea

Seems like the ideal place to ask the following question>

I am not a US resident but I visit quite frequently and becoming more and more into the whole snowmobile culture...

However, I do not hold a NH driving license but my UK / EU license can be used for up to 1 year at a time in the US for renting cars etc... So is this license also acceptable for riding snowmobiles in NH?

Cheers

Mike A
mikea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 12:26 PM   #15
sir james

Thumbs down

I would think so. Here is what you need to find out!

NH Department of Safety Division of Motor Vehicles 23 Hazen Drive Concord, NH 03305 Telephone: (603) 227-4000
Old 01-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #16
sir james

Didn't mean anything with the red thumbs down. Must have accidentally pushed it.
The Following User Says Thank You to sir james For This Useful Post:
mikea (01-18-2013)
Old 01-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea View Post
Seems like the ideal place to ask the following question>

I am not a US resident but I visit quite frequently and becoming more and more into the whole snowmobile culture...

However, I do not hold a NH driving license but my UK / EU license can be used for up to 1 year at a time in the US for renting cars etc... So is this license also acceptable for riding snowmobiles in NH?

Cheers

Mike A
Excellent question Mike!

You are all set.

RSA 215-C:49 I(b)(2) allows anyone with a valid driver's license as recognized under RSA 263 and it's various subchapters to operate a snowmobile in this State. RSA 263:36 specifically authorizes your foreign license, as long as it is valid in your Country, as valid in this State.

Their is no special snowmobile license for licensed drivers 18 or over in this State.

Just remember, we also operate our snowmobiles on the right side of the trail this side of the Pond!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #18
mikea

Thanks for the heads up Skip, much appreciated!

Aha... right hand side... wondered why people kept waving at me, I thought I'd suddenly become everyone's friend! he-he.

Cheers

Mike A
mikea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikea For This Useful Post:
trfour (01-18-2013)