Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Pittsburg??

Anyone been to or heard reports on Pittsburg yet for snowmobiling?? Thinking of making the trek this weekend and hoping the trails will bo O.K. and the 1st Connecticut is safely frozen.

Thanks!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Anyone been to or heard reports on Pittsburg yet for snowmobiling?? Thinking of making the trek this weekend and hoping the trails will bo O.K. and the 1st Connecticut is safely frozen.

Thanks!!

Dan
There are some decent trail reports on the websites as well as on hardcoresledder.com under the New Hampshire Forums. I'm sure the slednh.com forums will be helpful as well. Cheers!
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
GM doc

Default Hear ya go

This should help you out. I have there "trail condition" report to be on the "FALSE" side, but thats more towards the spring time.http://www.pittsburgridgerunners.org/
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #4
boat_guy64

Default Pittsburg

I heard the trails north of Back lake are pretty good and the higher the elevation the better. I'm heading up Wednesday and Thursday. I have a new sled in my trailer with 0.0 miles on it. Hoping to get a few hundred "break in" miles.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
jarhead0341

Heard it was decent also plus they got a few more inches from this last one only prob is its going to warm up by the end of week
jarhead0341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
SIKSUKR

Not sure of Pittsburg but Franconia to Twin Mt to Gorhan area recieved a solid 2 ft in the last storm.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default Twin Mtn riding was great.

My son just called on his way back from a day rtide. They got 2 feet of fresh powder, no groomers out in that area yet though.
We are heading to our place in Jackman Maine for 4 day new years W/E.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Made The Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Thanks!!

Dan
Well I decided to go up to Pittsburg... Left Thursday after work and got some great riding in on Friday. We did about 100 miles on Friday and all Trails were fantastic.

By Friday night, warm weather and rain came in and wiped out everything. Even with the upcoming cold weather, without more snow, don't bother going up as trails were bare.

None of the lakes are safe yet up there either so even ice fishing was a no go. We came home Saturday...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Belmont Resident

Default Maine was worse.

The temps warmed up by early Friday by mid day it was 40 and never dropped below freezing again.
The last forecast we saw had temps toping out in the mid 30’s for the weekend and below freezing at night
We left yesterday instead of today. In town trails were down to dirt by Friday afternoon.
Lots of snow 10-15 miles out but too many sleds and not enough trailers to get there.
Maybe some snow for the end of the week but who knows until it’s all over & done with.
It seems those who come up with the forecast have been getting it wrong more and more. As technology improves the accuracy decreases.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Winniboater81

Default Pittsburg

I was up at our house on back lake this week. Did about 300 miles or so. Perry Stream was great, stay above back lake, 5 and 20 were good. In town was getting beat up and that was before the warm weather. 18 to Errol was hidious as they are logging up there. Best loop is up and around perry stream.
I am sure the warm weather has taken its toll on the trails, so you prob need more snow before going up again.,
Winniboater81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winniboater81 For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (01-04-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
fatlazyless

Pittsburg is a long way to drive....and is like going to a foreign country too....as compared to the lakes region. It is probably quicker to drive from Meredith to Boston, than from Meredith to Pittsburg, plus Meredith is a lot more like a vacation suburb for Boston to use.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #12
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Pittsburg is a long way to drive....and is like going to a foreign country too....as compared to the lakes region. It is probably quicker to drive from Meredith to Boston, than from Meredith to Pittsburg, plus Meredith is a lot more like a vacation suburb for Boston to use.
Yes, it is a long way to drive, and Meredith is closer to Boston then it is to Pittsburg.

But the question is...what does that have to do with this thread in which people are discussing snowmobile trail conditions?
hazelnut (01-14-2011)
Old 01-04-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Yes, it is a long way to drive, and Meredith is closer to Boston then it is to Pittsburg.

But the question is...what does that have to do with this thread in which people are discussing snowmobile trail conditions?
Well....let's see as long as you ask.....um....in order to use the trails....one needs to get there first.... so it seems like an appropriate comment don't you think!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #14
Argie's Wife

I have a brother in Pittsburg - he tells me it's possible to go from Alton to Pittsburg via snowmobile trails... I dunno if that's true or is he pulling my leg?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I have a brother in Pittsburg - he tells me it's possible to go from Alton to Pittsburg via snowmobile trails... I dunno if that's true or is he pulling my leg?
It is true. There are almost 7000 miles of trails that are maintained by snomo clubs and the State. Of course, it is dependent on snow cover and ice thickness as many trails cross lakes.

http://www.nhsa.com/ Look around the site and you will find our own Skip is an officer/ volunteer of the NHSA
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I can go from my house in Bow to Pittsburg via snowmobile trails. The statewide trail system is amazing.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

12000 miles of trail in Maine
7500 miles of trail in NH
5000 miles of trail in VT

Pretty amazing!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:56 AM   #18
Belmont Resident

Default Maine is awsome.

The millage stats do nothing for the actual riding. Next to Maine Vermont probably has the best riding because it is not very crowded. NH downfall is that the majority of the good riding is from the lakes region north. We almost bought in NH but decided to go to Maine because it’s just too crowded and can be compaired to the lake on a busy weekend.
The narrowest part of the state holds the best riding and the riding can be great. The problem lies in coming back at the end of the day when everything is junk because of just how popular NH is. The cost and distance to travel attract sooo many people.
In Maine we can get to just about any place we want to without spending much time on groomed trails. So at the end of the day we can get back to our house without needing back surgery. Maine also holds thousands of miles of back country riding that no other NE state offers. You need to be prepared with extra gas a good GPS and a current topographical map to safely get around but the rewards for getting away from it all are unbelievable. We usually do a couple of thousand miles each year just in back woods riding.
One of the clubs we belong to offers a day long backwoods adventure that takes you thru some of the greatest & most challenging riding you will experience. They provide lunch and extra gas while you provide the sled. The only thing required is a long track sled with nothing less than 1.25 track with more being better.

Last edited by Belmont Resident; 01-09-2011 at 10:00 AM. Reason: spelling