Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #1
codeman671

Default Winter island transportation service?

I am looking into the feasiblity of starting a transportation service for winter island access. The intention is to be able to get island residents back and forth from time to time, not a daily taxi at this point. This would be great for those like myself that would like to take the opportunity to get some work done in the off-season, or for those that simply just can't stay away but do not have the means of transportation to get there safely and efficiently. Winters such as last were terrible for getting across, in fact quite dangerous for those who did try.

This would be accomplished by airboat, either a standard open style or a fully enclosed (with heat of course!) setup. I have a captain, all I need is the boat and a need for it in the region. Please let me know of your thoughts/concerns and if you are an islander what if you would be interested in using it.

Thanks in advance!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
HomeWood

That sounds like a good business idea. You could really expand from just dropping off and picking up to delivering goods, helping with possible emergencies and checking on island houses for people who don't want to come up, but want to make sure their house is still there. I say go for it. Good luck!
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:15 AM   #3
Weirs guy

Default A good business idea...

...and, you get to own an airboat!!

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 04:48 AM   #4
TomC

Default I'd look at selling subscriptions..

or advanced sale ticket books or something. you have to get some idea of your revenue stream before committing to the expensive purchase (or lease) of the airboat.

Anyone who has ever tried to organize anything where a payment is due realizes that "expressed" interest in the purchase, service, or event wanes when its time for the check to be written.

it sounds like a great idea and i wouldn't be surprised to read that you get a lot of people to suggest that they would use the service. Be sure to factor the responses you get because many circumstances (economic, weather, etc) can conspire to leave you holding the bag...

(and don't forget to have and account for ample liability insurance)
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:49 AM   #5
Misty Blue

Default Air boat?

Codeman:

I have often considered a similar service. I am sure that when word get's out a market will develop. But I am not a fan of airboats.

The typical airboats are flat bottomed boats with the engine and operator mounted way above the center of bouyancy, highly unstable. They are made for shallow swamps, not major bodies of water. That poor lady who drowned while strapped to a fire department airboat on the Conn. river this year is a tragic expmple of a missused craft.

There are some runabout airboat designs that look really cool. There was a post on them last year. Fun! An other option would be a hovercraft. Tamworth FD uses one with good results.

Also keep in mind that in either case you would be making a major purchase for a craft that is really only necessary for a few weeks a year. Say three or four weeks before ice in (then you can use a truck or sled) and three of four weeks before ice out. After which boats are available.

Good luck! And if you are looking for a skipper drop me a line.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
codeman671

Here is the design that I am looking at, much more efficient and certainly safer than the Yankee which is what went down in NH.

http://www.airboats.ca/

Hovercrafts can be just as treacherous, the gentleman that owns 1000 Island Airboats lost his best friend in a hovercraft accident which prompted him to do the research and invent this type of craft. Another problem with hovercrafts is the payload capabilities, certainly a lot less than an airboat.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #7
PaulH

I'd be happy to see a good summer island transportation service. Several years ago, Fay's Boathouse quoted us $200 from Laconia to Sandy Island. That's a bit steep

Paul
PaulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH
I'd be happy to see a good summer island transportation service. Several years ago, Fay's Boathouse quoted us $200 from Laconia to Sandy Island. That's a bit steep
Paul
Perfect example of TomC's advice...

Here's another appropriate exemplification for your reading pleasure:
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...nni+water+taxi

and two pics two show how easy it is to succeed at the Lake - notice change of name...

Last edited by GWC...; 10-13-2006 at 02:04 PM.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:11 PM   #9
Island Life

Default I'd be a customer

When I was a kid, we crossed the ice in our car - doors open, windows down. After my dad went through the ice in his truck some 20 years ago, I stopped going in the winter. Although my siblings still do it, I have my reservations. My kids, however, are begging to go. I think I'd certainly plan a trip each year if I knew I could cross in an airboat. Maybe even 2 trips!
Old 10-17-2006, 02:02 PM   #10
KonaChick

Quote:

Paul
I imagine to insure a business that does this sort of thing must be sky high. Maybe that was part of the high pricetag.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #11
cowisl

Our hovercraft has been great to get back and forth.
cowisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
Airwaves

Quote:
Paul
If I had to venture a guess I'd say there probably wouldn't be the numbers needed to remain profitable in the summer. Island residents tend to have boats so outside of surprise guests who would use the service on a regular basis, and how long would you be willing to wait for your ride? (Its a long haul if the taxi is somewhere in Center Harbor and a call comes in for a ride to Rattlesnake Island) Would there be the numbers to attempt an airboat service during the "off" season? I don't know, probably not.

On my last run of the summer I saw a small barge picking up trash from the islands, a dirty business but if you want to service islands for a profit then that is the direction I would look in.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:47 AM   #13
chipj29

Default Rentals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwaves
If I had to venture a guess I'd say there probably wouldn't be the numbers needed to remain profitable in the summer. Island residents tend to have boats so outside of surprise guests who would use the service on a regular basis, and how long would you be willing to wait for your ride? (Its a long haul if the taxi is somewhere in Center Harbor and a call comes in for a ride to Rattlesnake Island) Would there be the numbers to attempt an airboat service during the "off" season? I don't know, probably not.

On my last run of the summer I saw a small barge picking up trash from the islands, a dirty business but if you want to service islands for a profit then that is the direction I would look in.
If there are island rental properties, and the renter did not have a boat, then the service would come in handy, or so I would think.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 10:12 AM   #14
GWC...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29
If there are island rental properties, and the renter did not have a boat, then the service would come in handy, or so I would think.
There are Island Rentals.

and...

There are Boat Rental businesses.

and...

There are Contractors with Barges willing to toil for a price.

If the two of you are really passionate about your thoughts, perhaps you should start a business venture together.

Maybe it will succeed; maybe it will not.

Better your money and credit rating than codeman671, since these thoughts are yours.

For those who may not remember the original thought of this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
I am looking into the feasiblity of starting a transportation service for winter island access.
I have a captain, all I need is the boat and a need for it in the region. Please let me know of your thoughts/concerns and if you are an islander what if you would be interested in using it.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:49 PM   #15
Airwaves

Ahhh GWC I slipped one past you!

My post contained this line in answer to codeman671's original question
Quote:
Would there be the numbers to attempt an airboat service during the "off" season? I don't know, probably not.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:54 PM   #16
GWC...

Quote:
Ahhh GWC I slipped one past you!
Touché, that you did.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #17
chipj29

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC...
There are Island Rentals.

and...

There are Boat Rental businesses.

and...

There are Contractors with Barges willing to toil for a price.

If the two of you are really passionate about your thoughts, perhaps you should start a business venture together.

Maybe it will succeed; maybe it will not.

Better your money and credit rating than codeman671, since these thoughts are yours.

For those who may not remember the original thought of this thread:
I am not sure I understand the spirit of this post. All I was saying that if there were island rental properties, maybe his service could help out those renters who don't have a boat. It would help him during his "off-season".

I am not trying to suggest a business venture, nor am I trying to start one. I am merely trying to offer a simple suggestion to the original poster.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #18
jrc

I don't own island property but I'd pay for a scenic airboat ride over the winter ice. Obviously, safety and skill of the operator would need to be visible.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote