Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #101
mswlogo

Oh deer. This news is also 3 months ago.

https://nypost.com/2021/08/04/covid-...opulation/amp/
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
trfour (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 09:12 AM   #102
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
A truly unbelievable low in stupidity and ignorance. It’s harmless but that’s really beside the point.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
trfour (11-12-2021)
Old 11-12-2021, 09:32 AM   #103
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
A truly unbelievable low in stupidity and ignorance. It’s harmless but that’s really beside the point.
Hi Newbiesaukee, this is why we are still in the Covid-19 Pandemic. NO guessing!

NOT the world most of us were brought Up in.
Stay well, my friend.
Love,
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 11-12-2021 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #104
LoveLakeLife

Lol “climate crisis”

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 11-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #105
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Lol “climate crisis”
Like I said, survival of the fittest. I was referring to survival of the mentally fittest---people who are intelligent enough to believe the absolutely clear evidence that we are in a climate crisis. Also applies to whether an entire species (e.g. humans) is socially fit enough to take corrective action against a crisis. If the power of mentally and morally unfit people like you outweighs the power of people like me, we're finished as a species. At the very least, the remainder of your years on earth (unless you're over 90) are likely to be increasingly unpleasant. At some point you will find yourself living underground to escape the heat on the surface and you will still be saying, "LOL. 'Climate crisis.'"

Last edited by SailinAway; 11-12-2021 at 11:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2021, 11:36 AM   #106
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
This is why we are still in the Covid-19 Pandemic. NO guessing! NOT the world most of us were brought Up in.
Trfour, I understand what you're saying about the world we were brought up in and obviously you're right. But in the world we were brought up in, the seeds of today's crises had already been planted. We just didn't realize it at the time. For baby boomers, everything seemed wonderful in the 1950s postwar economic boom. Our parents had jobs and could afford to own a house. People seemed to act rationally. There was far less antisocial behavior. Neighbors didn't come to blows about politics. We had respect for one another. Government mandates were reasonable and we followed them willingly.

What we didn't realize at the time:
  1. The economic boom that made our lives so much better depended on overexploition of the earth's resources that would lead to pollution, deforestation, carbon in the atmostphere, global warming, etc.
  2. Economic progress created a new class of super wealthy people at the expense of the other classes. That division would eventually mean that things like home ownership would one day be out of reach for many.
  3. We had in no way solved the racial injustice that this country was founded on, that would later lead to almost irreparable divisions.
  4. We were failing to train children and adolescents to live in a society with others. We got rid of religion in schools but didn't replace it with any other kind training in self-control and moral conduct.
  5. We were not doing anything to correct the U.S.'s reliance on war as our main foreign policy strategy.

The perception that things were safe and good in the 1950s held true only if you belonged to specific groups who had access to the benefits of the economic boom and democracy. Millions of people did not and they would soon start raising their voices.

All of those unaddressed conditions were intensifying in the 1950s and they led up to the stunning crises of 2020: refusal to adopt rational behaviors during the Covid crisis, the economic crisis, race riots, the unfathomable near-collapse of our democracy, lawlessness and the climate crisis. Had we been studying events since the 1950s and projecting their logical outcomes, we might not have been so surprised. What is the logical outcome of the fact that today, 60% of the world's population (41% in the U.S.) is unvaccinated and the virus has ways of outsmarting us?

The explanation for this state of affairs is simple: our systems of government, the economy, education, and social organization as designed and practiced are insufficient to bring about the things we say we want (life, liberty, happiness, prosperity etc.), but we are either unwilling or unable to envision and enact systems that would work better for us. We cling to things we hold sacred even when 250 years of history reveals them to be inadequate. The world changes as a result of our actions in it, but we fail to evolve in our thinking and ways of being. That's irrational, and humans at bottom are not programmed for the complexities of modern rationality.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:28 PM   #107
John Mercier

#2 and #4 are BS.
Real life experience tells us that.

People are seeking larger and more expensive homes than in the 1950's... even with smaller families; and more money is spent on ''toys'' leaving less money and time for the basics like a small, well built, and cared for home.

Religion can still be found in religiously-based private schools, and the ''citizens'' that they are turning out are no better than what the non-religious public schools are.
Old 11-12-2021, 01:45 PM   #108
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
But not everyone in a ''red'' State is Republican.

Take the recent local elections for example.
Laconia has an all Republican delegation to the Legislature... local chosen.
But Dawn Johnson, one of those legislators, was soundly beaten by Andrew Hosmer.
In most States and regions, the parties are winning by narrow margins. So ''red'' or ''blue'' sometimes represents on very small number of voters compared to the total... and that does not even take into account the rather large number of qualified voters that do not vote.

Without firm statistics, we are just guessing. The next wave could hit New England very hard... and New England... except for one Senate seat is ''blue''.

We also know that cities tend to be more Democrat supportive than rural areas... we see that in every election.

So even though more people in the cities might be vaccinated, if they herd together they increase the chances of breakthroughs. Where a very rural person might never come into contact with the virus.

Very hard to paint a whole population with a brush without definitive data.
These are great points, but I think you may have missed the last link I posted--it shows that the variance extends to the county level (so the urban vs rural point is addressed) and that "redder" areas are harder hit than less red areas (so the small margin point is addressed). Your point about the cities is also on target, but of course that would tend to increase infections among Democrats (so the trends towrd more Republican infections are even more significant)
Old 11-12-2021, 04:22 PM   #109
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
#2 and #4 are BS. Real life experience tells us that.
Here's my real-life experience about #2, regarding the possibility of home ownership. In 1957 my father earned about $6000 a year as an electrician and he bought a house costing $11,000, meaning less than twice his yearly salary. I bought my current house in 1994. Today I would never be able to afford to buy my current house (a very modest house built in the 1920s), because it would cost at least 6 times my annual salary---an example of loss of prosperity between generations over the last 60 years. My father retired with an adequate pension. Today 60% of Americans have NO pension.

You put your finger on the problem: there are no "small, well built, and cared for homes" on the market due to the greed of home builders, especially here in the Lake's Region, and society's failure to understand that adequate housing is a public need, not a privilege of the wealthy.

Investopedia: "The middle class is shrinking due to an increase in population at the extreme bottom and top of the economic spectrum." This is a well-studied fact.

Regarding #4, training children and adolescents to live in a society with others, I didn't mean that we should bring religion back into schools or that religion could solve our social problems. I meant that schools are overly focused on knowledge and not focused at all on social skills. Knowledge doesn't help when you're turning out angry, selfish kids with no self-control who feel no obligation to anyone but themselves. At bottom, refusing to get vaccinated, wear a mask, and practice social distancing are antisocial actions symptomatic of a society that cares little about its own members.
Old 11-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #110
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Like I said, survival of the fittest. I was referring to survival of the mentally fittest---people who are intelligent enough to believe the absolutely clear evidence that we are in a climate crisis. Also applies to whether an entire species (e.g. humans) is socially fit enough to take corrective action against a crisis. If the power of mentally and morally unfit people like you outweighs the power of people like me, we're finished as a species. At the very least, the remainder of your years on earth (unless you're over 90) are likely to be increasingly unpleasant. At some point you will find yourself living underground to escape the heat on the surface and you will still be saying, "LOL. 'Climate crisis.'"

Old 11-12-2021, 06:20 PM   #111
LoveLakeLife

haha It’s the weather. Injecting “crisis” and “justice” after nouns don’t make them dire, except among the gullible elitists. I accept that you’re just a much more moral person than I, or perhaps just educated beyond your intelligence. I wonder if you hear what you sound like when you write some of the things you write. I feel bad that you’re ashamed of your own “species.”
Your sense of your own virtue is inflated, but at least you’re a source of amusement, if not bemusement.

Here’s hoping that we are all living underground before the world ends in, is it ten years now?