Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
camp guy

Default Travel to Utah

Early this coming Fall, my wife and I are planning to drive to the Seattle, WA, area, and on the way we thought we'd stop and visit the Mormon Tabernacle and see the choir rehearsal and attend an organ recital.

Has anyone on this Forum driven from Lakes Region to Salt Lake City, and, has anyone attended either of these events?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
kawishiwi

Default Never less than half a tank...

Did Minnesota to Southern Utah. Passed gas stations in Neb. thinking E. Colorado would have plenty. Boy was I wrong. Limped into a tiny station on fumes a few miles off the interstate and got there 2 minutes before closing time...at 2pm!
If you havent been you really cant go that way and not see Grand Teton & Yellowstone national parks.
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:55 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default It has been a long time...

Long time since I went across I80 to Idaho, but I do remember that as you came up to an exit that had fuel services, there was a sign that stated "next fuel xx miles". Really handy to plan your fuel stops.

Also, you can do the AAA triptik on line, and have fuel stops listed as an option on the maps.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #4
kbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Early this coming Fall, my wife and I are planning to drive to the Seattle, WA, area, and on the way we thought we'd stop and visit the Mormon Tabernacle and see the choir rehearsal and attend an organ recital.

Has anyone on this Forum driven from Lakes Region to Salt Lake City, and, has anyone attended either of these events?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks, in advance.

My daughter went to school in Utah and drove from Mass to Utah a couple of times... Let me know the details you are looking for and I'll ask her. Also, a good friend of mine is the Associate Conductor for the Mormon Tabernacle Choir (he used to live in the Boston area near us) he got us some great seats to a couple of their events. What details are you looking for?
kbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:32 AM   #5
ILOVETHELAKE

Good luck with the drive. We have done it many times. First, do not go through Vermont, no matter what your GPS says. Take this route.. I93south, 495, I90, I84 ( and no not get off I84 till you cross into NY, no matter what your GPS says) I81,I80. Unless you need to go to Denver, you will not be travelling through Colorado. I 80 stays in Nebraska till you cross into Utah. As for gas, forget everything except GAsbuddy. Put the AP on your phone and use it. It's shocking the price difference you will pay by buying gas in the right places. Your first stop for gas will be exit One I84 in NY. It's right on the border of NY, PA and NJ. If you pass this exit, you will pay a lot more for gas in Parts of PA. The gas in Montague NJ will/could be as much as 60 cents cheaper. Do not forget your easy pass . It will work right thru Illinois, after that there are no tolls. I hope this helps.
ILOVETHELAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2016, 06:04 AM   #6
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVETHELAKE View Post
First, do not go through Vermont, no matter what your GPS says. Take this route.. I93south, 495, I90, I84 ( and no not get off I84 till you cross into NY, no matter what your GPS says)
Excellent advice.
Made this mistake a couple of times.

Get a paper map of USA or Atlas. Out West, get off the interstate and take some of the state roadways. Almost as quick and get a chance to see the real America.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:43 AM   #7
Misha888

Default Schedule

Be sure to check the choirs schedule. Went to SLC thinking we could see a mass, no such luck as they weren't singing at anytime I was there.

And regards to driving. I've driven across country a few times. Enjoy the ride, and don't put yourself on strict schedule. Stop and smell the roses. Unless you were like me once where I made it to No. CA in 72 hours to deliver a part to the electric company so they could get Sacramento back online.

Safe travels.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
ILOVETHELAKE

Having your E-ZPASS with you will save SOOOO much time and aggravation. The toll states will be NH, Mass, NY ( only going east across the Hudson) Ohio, Indiana and Illinois. Crossing Ohio and Indiana is pricey. Also, if you do not have an e-zpass, watch what lane you get into at the toll booths in Indiana. Many of them are not manned and have a do-it-yourself check out panel. One of our last trips, I was driving a U-haul and sat 8th in line behind a lady that just couldn't figure it out. It was a smaller exit where our hotel for the night was. There was no one at all. Other drivers had to get out and help the poor thing.
The two toll booths in Illinois have a different pass sign, but our NH passes will work.
ILOVETHELAKE is offline   Reply With Quote