Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Getting here in reverse ! Gilford to Hilton Head

I need to make a business trip from lake Winnie to Hilton Head Island, SC.

I was planning to drive first day and make it to Richmond VA and stay over-nite there, I figure that's the mid-way point.

Looking for advice of the best routes between Laconia and Richmond,
after Richmond, it's all I-95.
Want to avoid as much construction and cities as possible.
I definitely want to avoid NYC and the Geo Wash. bridge !

So folks, please give me your best routes. I plan to travel first day on Saturday morning to avoid the Washington DC daily traffic, and return following Saturday.

Thanks as always, for your feed-back, much appreciated !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
Not to Worry

Default No traffic

I drove through NYC at 8 AM. There was no traffic. Bet it is still the same.
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:49 PM   #3
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I need to make a business trip from lake Winnie to Hilton Head Island, SC.

I was planning to drive first day and make it to Richmond VA and stay over-nite there, I figure that's the mid-way point.

Looking for advice of the best routes between Laconia and Richmond,
after Richmond, it's all I-95.
Want to avoid as much construction and cities as possible.
I definitely want to avoid NYC and the Geo Wash. bridge !

So folks, please give me your best routes. I plan to travel first day on Saturday morning to avoid the Washington DC daily traffic, and return following Saturday.

Thanks as always, for your feed-back, much appreciated !
Would you consider flying into Savannah? Then rent a car for the 30 mile drive to Hilton Head. I have no clue what airlines fly into Savannah, but that would be much less stressful than that drive. Car rentals are cheap right now, too.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-08-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #4
Resident 2B

I head for the Tappanzee Bridge using the Wilber cross highway in CT., cross the Hudson, pickup the Garden State Parkway and take it to the NJ Turnpike. Use the tunnels in Baltimore and go clockwise on the beltway around Washington, then on to Richmond. Timing may be equally as important as the route. Crossing the Tappanzee Bridge around 9:30 works best for me. Good luck!

R2B

Last edited by Resident 2B; 05-07-2020 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added info
Resident 2B is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post:
bigdog (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 06:30 AM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Road less traveled for the soul.

Usually head to I-81 to I-77 to get to that area. There is construction on 93, 91, and 95 so plan accordingly.

I personally like to take Rte 4 to Keene and pick up 91 in Brattleboro. Avoid the I-495 and Worcester bottleneck.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:47 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

We've tried every route imaginable over the years and avoid cities and tolls because I'm usually towing a boat.
Considering the shut down traffic shouldn't be bad passing through some cities so if it was me I'd take I-93 to rt3 to Nashua,495 to 90 (Mass Pike) 84 to Garden State Pkwy and then just stay on 95 south. Normally I wouldn't go near Baltimore and Washington because of the traffic but should be a breeze right now
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:04 AM   #7
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Hi, I usually fly down every other week, but just drove down on Monday. The traffic was very light and even though I intended to use the 84/81 outer loop as opposed to 95 but the GPS kept pushing me to 95. I did not slow down even when I brushed NYC. I left at 5 AM made one stop for fuel and pulled into my hotel in Rock Hill SC at 845 PM that night. I have driven approx 700 miles this week around the Carolinas, I have not been in a traffic jam yet, even around Charlotte. Good luck on your trip.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:15 AM   #8
smith point boater

Default Head west

Do what Broadhopper said. We took that route BACK from Florida. Wouldn't even think about going thru Ct, NY(city) or NJ. Probably added 2 hrs total to trip but way less stressful. We stayed at a Fairfield Inn (a Marriott property) in Salem, Va - checked in at 10pm and out by 7AM - saw no one but the clerk
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:32 AM   #9
8gv

The lure of getting right through the NE metro areas due to the diminished C19 traffic must be tempered with "what if's".

What if I have a car issue?

What if I need gas or a bio break?

What if I get into an accident?

The thought of having any of that happen so close to C19 hot spots has me taking the outer route.

93S
89N
9W
91S
84W
81S
And son on...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #10
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
I head for the Tappanzee Bridge using the Wilber cross highway in CT., cross the Hudson, pickup the Garden State Parkway and take it to the NJ Turnpike. Use the tunnels in Baltimore and go clockwise on the beltway around Washington, then on to Richmond. Timing may be equally as important as the route. Crossing the Tappanzee Bridge around 9:30 works best for me. Good luck!

R2B
that's the way I always go
Mass Pike to 84 to 284 to 684 Tappan Zee Bridge
Garden state parkway to Jersey Turnpike
then the tunnels, eastern side of the beltway (only difference here is depending on time of day i sometimes shoot the gut)

living right near 495 belt in MA i usually leave at 9:30ish at night or later, sun coming up before and after passing the Philip Morris Factory
Resident 2B (05-08-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 07:46 AM   #11
bigdog

Sue Doe-Nym,

I have done just as you've said several times before, however, this trip I am driving my truck 'loaded' with goods to take to Hilton Head.
I'd ship things down, but just too much to go.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Would you consider flying into Savannah? Then rent a car for the 30 mile drive to Hilton Head. I have no clue what airlines fly into Savannah, but that would be much less stressful than that drive. Car rentals are cheap right now, too.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:07 AM   #12
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
that's the way I always go
Mass Pike to 84 to 284 to 684 Tappan Zee Bridge
Garden state parkway to Jersey Turnpike
then the tunnels, eastern side of the beltway (only difference here is depending on time of day i sometimes shoot the gut)

living right near 495 belt in MA i usually leave at 9:30ish at night or later, sun coming up before and after passing the Philip Morris Factory
^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

After many years of traveling from NH to Quantico, VA and trying every different route, this was always the fastest.

As far as getting through DC,...after almost three decades of doing work in the district, the trick was always to time your travel to go through / around the city between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM. Stay off the BWI parkway no matter what and use the the 95 to 495 beltway to go around the city...

Dan
Old 05-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #13
thebix

Default Eastern Shore route

For most of the 17 years I lived in Richmond, VA and traveled back to the Boston area to visit family, I preferred the Eastern Shore route to avoid Baltimore city and the DC Beltway. After the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I take the exit to Rt 13 (the Eastern Shore highway) toward New Castle, DE. Well into the Eastern Shore I pick up Rt 301 and follow it through Annapolis, MD (it is also Rt 50 there), onto Rt 207 in Bowling Green,VA to I95 just north of Richmond. It may be longer/slower than the I95 all interstate, but it is a pleasant country drive with a lot less stress and fast speeding traffic and trucks. It is mostly 4 lane divided highway, but with some short stretches in small towns by the shopping centers and some traffic lights. Much lower blood pressure than the Beltway!
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #14
bigdog

8gv....

If I follow your instructions, and take 84W, where exactly do I pickup 81S ?

And at what point do I cross the Hudson ? Tarrytown over the Tapanzee bridge ?

Thanks,
BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
The lure of getting right through the NE metro areas due to the diminished C19 traffic must be tempered with "what if's".

The thought of having any of that happen so close to C19 hot spots has me taking the outer route.

93S
89N
9W
91S
84W
81S
And son on...

8Gv....

Old 05-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #15
Resident 2B

Quote:
8gv....

And at what point do I cross the Hudson ? Tarrytown over the Tapanzee bridge ?

Thanks,
BD

8Gv....

If you take this route, I84 intersects I81 near Scranton, PA. This is an alternative route I take when traffic is busy. Nice drive.
Resident 2B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #16
8gv

As Resident above states, Scranton PA.

Here's my unsolicited tip for forcing an unsophisticated, old school gps to play ball your way:

1) Have a piece of paper with the big picture route directions. For example: "84W to SCRANTON, then 81S"

2) Enter each intersection city on the gps and save them as waypoints.

3) Create a trip list for easy access to these waypoints.

4) Start your trip with the gps guiding you to your first waypoint city.

5) When about 10 miles out, change to the next city.

6) Repeat until you arrive at your destination.

(Those who use smart phone navigation apps can start laughing now.)
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:38 PM   #17
granitebox

Another benefit of the 84W to 81S to 77S route - which is the route I take, is you do skim through NJ and at Port Jervis exit on 84 is full service fuel which might make the trip a little simpler if that is an issue for you.

Once you hit 81 its simple but long rolling highway through the Shenandoah Valley -
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:33 PM   #18
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebix View Post
For most of the 17 years I lived in Richmond, VA and traveled back to the Boston area to visit family, I preferred the Eastern Shore route to avoid Baltimore city and the DC Beltway. After the Delaware Memorial Bridge, I take the exit to Rt 13 (the Eastern Shore highway) toward New Castle, DE. Well into the Eastern Shore I pick up Rt 301 and follow it through Annapolis, MD (it is also Rt 50 there), onto Rt 207 in Bowling Green,VA to I95 just north of Richmond. It may be longer/slower than the I95 all interstate, but it is a pleasant country drive with a lot less stress and fast speeding traffic and trucks. It is mostly 4 lane divided highway, but with some short stretches in small towns by the shopping centers and some traffic lights. Much lower blood pressure than the Beltway!
Yes, I agree that this is a wonderful little secret that not many people know about. It’s been a while since I was there, but don’t you take the exit toward Middletown, south, and pick up 301 as it crosses the border into Maryland there? You would not have to go into New Castle and I’m assuming down route 9?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #19
Lil' Barndoor Guy

Hey everyone! It's the Mario Cuomo Bridge, not the Tappan Zee. Andrew named it after his father so when his brother, Fredo becomes governor, he'll rename the George Washington Bridge after him.
Lil' Barndoor Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #20
Susie Cougar

Also, I wanted to add that anyone traveling from the north down to DC can also get off in Delaware and take this beautiful scenic route and avoid Baltimore City and come over on the Bay Bridge and continue on to Washington. When we lived in Middletown, Delaware, we used to visit my daughter at college in DC and we always took this route. It’s absolutely beautiful.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 05:04 AM   #21
MDoug

Default Best Route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Also, I wanted to add that anyone traveling from the north down to DC can also get off in Delaware and take this beautiful scenic route and avoid Baltimore City and come over on the Bay Bridge and continue on to Washington. When we lived in Middletown, Delaware, we used to visit my daughter at college in DC and we always took this route. It’s absolutely beautiful.
A great alternative! May be slower, but at least you can stop for a sandwich and relax.
MDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MDoug For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (05-18-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 04:55 PM   #22
rhubarbpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

After many years of traveling from NH to Quantico, VA and trying every different route, this was always the fastest.

As far as getting through DC,...after almost three decades of doing work in the district, the trick was always to time your travel to go through / around the city between 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM. Stay off the BWI parkway no matter what and use the the 95 to 495 beltway to go around the city...

Dan
Coming late to reply, but the entire DC area is under shelter-in-place orders. There isn't a lick of traffic at any time of day right now, unless there is a major accident.
rhubarbpie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rhubarbpie For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (05-17-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 04:47 PM   #23
bigdog

Default Follow-up, and would like updates on travel route

Follow-up, and would like updates on best travel route.
I plan to leave NH for Hilton Head SC in two weeks.

All have given many good options, I definitely want to avoid CT if I can,
however, getting to the Tappan Zee bridge that seems like the only course, going through CT ?

I would like go over the Hudson River over the Titonic bridge in Newburgh NY,
but getting there seems like a long haul. The only way I see to get there would be to go through CT via Hartford ? How does one get to I84W without going through CT ?

Several have suggested picking up 81S near Scranton-Wilkes Barre PA.
This route seems like youÂ’re going wayyyyy West out of the way ?
If I took this route, would you suggest picking up 83S in Harrisburg PA and drop down just North of Baltimore ?

Last, since many states are still in semi lock-down b/c on Covit-19, is traffic through major cities still light ? Is it still advisable to steer away from NJ Turnpike and I95, between NH and Maryland ?

Also, any updates on construction along routes would be greatly appreciated !
Old 05-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #24
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Follow-up, and would like updates on best travel route.
I plan to leave NH for Hilton Head SC in two weeks.

All have given many good options, I definitely want to avoid CT if I can,
however, getting to the Tappan Zee bridge that seems like the only course, going through CT ?

I would like go over the Hudson River over the Titonic bridge in Newburgh NY,
but getting there seems like a long haul. The only way I see to get there would be to go through CT via Hartford ? How does one get to I84W without going through CT ?

Several have suggested picking up 81S near Scranton-Wilkes Barre PA.
This route seems like youÂ’re going wayyyyy West out of the way ?
If I took this route, would you suggest picking up 83S in Harrisburg PA and drop down just North of Baltimore ?

Last, since many states are still in semi lock-down b/c on Covit-19, is traffic through major cities still light ? Is it still advisable to steer away from NJ Turnpike and I95, between NH and Maryland ?

Also, any updates on construction along routes would be greatly appreciated !
One way to avoid CT is to take MA TP to NY Thruway to NJ. CT is bad, but is it that bad? We’ll be seeing our granddaughter tomorrow, and she just drove back from the Outer Banks, so maybe she can enlighten us on traffic in the dreaded Boston through DC areas. Will share if it seems helpful.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
bigdog (05-31-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 06:38 AM   #25
smith point boater

Default Spend the extra time

I will repeat to follow the routes in post #5 (and #9). Yes it takes you west a little more and will add 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to the trip but its a nice ride thru Vt and Troy/Albany, NY and Pa. It takes out Ct, NY City and upper NJ entirely. Yes there is construction (probably no matter what route you take) but we never had any traffic back ups or problems. FYI - We were going south to north

Good luck
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #26
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith point boater View Post
I will repeat to follow the routes in post #5 (and #9). Yes it takes you west a little more and will add 1 1/2 - 2 hrs to the trip but its a nice ride thru Vt and Troy/Albany, NY and Pa. It takes out Ct, NY City and upper NJ entirely. Yes there is construction (probably no matter what route you take) but we never had any traffic back ups or problems. FYI - We were going south to north

Good luck

Will follow your advice to de-stress and avoid all/any I95 traffic between NH and DC..

93S
89N
9W
91S to Hartford CT
84W
81S
And son on...

Altering my first night's stay-over to Fredricksburg VA rather than Richmond VA, just after getting around DC. Stopping in Fredricksburg will shorten the ride by an hour, and my wife will appreciate the decision by that time !

That said, from 81S, I was thinking of taking I70/270 East in Hagerstown, down to Rockville Maryland, the the DC Beltway and pickup 95S at that junction.
This will place me just above Fredricksburg

84W through Hartford, Waterbury, Danbury is not fun, always a lot of construction, but that's the norm !

Thoughts ?
Old 06-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #27
Pineedles

It’s 4:30 Pm and I am looking at google traffic maps and there is not one area of red(backups) from winni to Scranton. The shortest route is 93s to 3s to 495 to 270 to mass pike to 84 to Scranton.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #28
Pineedles

It’s now 6pm and protesters have shut down 84 E&W in Hartford. So much for traffic free. Basically, if this goes on for a couple hours the State will be totally shut down at its borders.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 03:00 PM   #29
bigdog

Default Need Route and travel update ASAP

Hi Folks,

I'm off on my trip to Hilton Head SC, and wanted more recent updates from anyone.

I know the route previously described taking I81 is more scenic and probably less stressful, but adds another 2+ hours to the trip, at least to my first overnight stop in Richmond VA. Wife doesn't travel well, so first day, I have to limit trip to 8-9 hours.

That said, I'm going to take I84W across the Tapanzee bridge, pickup the Garden State Parkway, then 95S thru Philly, Baltimore, and DC.

I'll be leaving Gilford Monday 6/15, around 5:00AM, so would like any recent updates about Construction, delays, etc.along the route I've described.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #30
ApS

Arrow Almost Stress-Free...

Quote:
Hi Folks,

I'm off on my trip to Hilton Head SC, and wanted more recent updates from anyone.

I know the route previously described taking I81 is more scenic and probably less stressful, but adds another 2+ hours to the trip, at least to my first overnight stop in Richmond VA. Wife doesn't travel well, so first day, I have to limit trip to 8-9 hours.

That said, I'm going to take I84W across the Tapanzee bridge, pickup the Garden State Parkway, then 95S thru Philly, Baltimore, and DC.

I'll be leaving Gilford Monday 6/15, around 5:00AM, so would like any recent updates about Construction, delays, etc.along the route I've described.
Southbound, it's an easy first day to drive to Wilkes--Barre for an overnight.

I-81 is a peaceful drive to a second stop, Columbia, SC. (But not sure how that gets you to Hilton Head, SC).

Having taken that route NB last week, I can say that traffic was light/moderate, with the only holdup being for rubber-neckers at a traffic stop. This even includes I-84!

Scranton is still "under construction" (for the last 20 years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
It’s now 6pm and protesters have shut down 84 E&W in Hartford. So much for traffic free. Basically, if this goes on for a couple hours the State will be totally shut down at its borders.
But it was a "peaceful" protest--right?
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
bigdog (06-14-2020)
Old 06-17-2023, 09:45 AM   #31
bigdog

Default Heading back to Bluffton SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

93S
89N
9W
91S
84W
81S
And son on...
Heading back to Bluffton SC, but this time towing myRV trailer.
Going to follow 84W then 81S then I95 in Richmond.

I only wish to drive no more than 8 hrs each day, and think I can cover 400 miles each day, making this a 2 1/2 day trip.

This said, looking at stop-over points with trailer. May stop at Walmart parking lot first night, or RV camping spots along the route ?

Looking for suggestions ?
Old 06-17-2023, 10:07 AM   #32
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Avoid I95 North of Richmond. Lots of construction as well as traffic. I95 South of Richmond should be fine. This is as of May 1. driving from FL to NH.

With an RV. Why not take I95 to I77, then do a little camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway? If not, I77 will take you to I81. Take I84 to I91, NH-9 home.
bigdog (06-17-2023)