Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2004, 07:38 AM   #1
WakeUp

Default New Alton Shopping Center...

Any information on a new center being built near the Alton Traffic Circle?
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
HUH

Default Well

Hopefully they changed their minds and decided to plant some trees and grass
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #3
RLW

Thumbs up Guess no grass

The word I heard at the town hall is, it is a go and should be in operation by the middle of next year weather permitting. As far as planting grass. That's kinda hard when it is mainly all woods at the present
Old 12-16-2004, 01:19 PM   #4
Aquadeziac

Since its Bahre backed, he probably has to see how good all you NASCAR patrons were to him this last summer and how much he has left over from palacial improvements. I am really surprised he couldn get it located closer to the Taj MaBahre. Ahhhhh, thats right, he must have drones to do his shopping for him. His is such a difficult life.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:02 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Alton Is growing

Alton has before the planning board a request for 75 new lots.
http://www.citizen.com/December_2004...n_1215_04a.asp

The town is growing, and while we have McGrath's market, it doesn't compare to a Hannaford or Market Basket Demoulas.

To do some serious and somewhat cost efficient food shopping, most residents in Alton would have a 20-30 minute drive to a Supermarket. Same thing is true for a drugstore. I would anticipate that we will see business from New Durham, Barnstead, Wolfeboro, Middleton, Gilmanton, and other towns as well.

I have not personally seen the conceptual drawing, but have been told it does include greenspace areas as part of the design. I would anticipate that it will have a little more charm than the urban sprawl in Gilford with the Hannaford/Walmart area, Shaw's TjMaxx area, and the long empty recently starting to be demolished Star Market plaza.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Default Alton's Growth

The following information is contained in the January 2005 issue of "Alton's Main Street", published monthly by Voice of Alton Inc, A not-for-profit corporation. The information can be found on page 22 in an article titled From the Town Planner by Kathy Menici. (Note: Kathy Menici became the full time town planner in 2004.)
"The first question everyone asks me: What's going on with the new supermarket? It is happening. At its Oct 2004 meeting, the planning board granted conditional approval to Bahre Alton Properties to construct a Hannaford's Supermarket on Rte 28 just north of the traffic circle. State approvals are in process, but should be completed soon. Then construction can begin."

"In addition...there was also a new carwash approved this year, two new banks (one of which will be located adjacent to the supermarket), a new Catholic Church, expansions of existing businesses, a new business or two, and residential subdivisions with anywhere from 2 to 19 new house lots."

"During 2004, the Planning Board reviewed a total of 63 applications, compared to 41 in 2003. Eleven of those applications were for residential subdivisions with anywhere from 2 to 19 new house lots in town. In 2003 the Planning board received 13 subdivision applications that created 32 new house lots. While neighboring communities issued an average of 47 building permits for new homes in 2003, Alton issued 100. The town's Building Inspector expects building for new homes to reach 100 again in 2004."

Paraphrasing much of the rest of the article, it is apparent that Alton is experiencing growth (Kathy's quote: "No longer the sleepy little town, Alton has become a booming community that is growing in leaps and bounds."), and as such, there is the need to review the Town's Master Plan, Zoning ordinances, and other land use regulations. The Planning board is proposing an Interim Growth management Ordinance (IMGO) which will allow for the continuation of smaller scale, lower impact types of residential and commercial development. ( A hearing is scheduled for later this month, and I hopefully will be able to attend this meeting and keep the forum updated.)
Old 03-29-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Default Latest update on the Supermarket

From the online Laconia Citizen on 3-29-05:

http://www.citizen.com/March_2005/03...iz_032905f.asp

Ground breaking in June!!!!
Old 02-04-2006, 05:28 PM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default Progress Being Made

Photo taken 2/4/06
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
wildwoodfam

Smile Tasteful developemtn is a WIN for everyone!

Face it folks, Alton and the surrounding communities need something. A nice market to shop such as Hannafords is a huge win for the area! Save having to stop in Rochester en route, or unpacking the stuff at the cottage then heading to Gilford to shop in the afternoon. Glad to see this happeing in Alton - and let's also face it - the circle was no seventh wonder!!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #10
John A. Birdsall

Default shopping center

Gee having been up in Alton every summer of my 60 years, it seems funny that we need a shopping center. Perhaps with all the added growth it is needed, but I feel for the mom and pop stores in the area.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #11
Weirs guy

My wifes going to be working at the attached MVSB bank branch, should be open in late May/early June. Its actually come along quite a bit since mcdudes pic a few weeks ago, I'll see if I can post some new ones tomorrow.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:59 PM   #12
RLW

Thumbs up Alton is growing (at least in the summer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Birdsall
Gee having been up in Alton every summer of my 60 years, it seems funny that we need a shopping center. Perhaps with all the added growth it is needed, but I feel for the mom and pop stores in the area.
I believe you and many others feel just that way, however the small Mom and Pop stores can not or are not staying up to the needs of the younger people and their families. The new place also houses a new Pharmacy which I believe everyone is in agreement we do need here in Alton.
I have heard through the grape vine and would love to have it verified or denied that McGrath's may be changed into a five & dime store simular to the old one where one can get arts and crafts, cards and many of the small items everyone can use and /or are looking for. I think that would be a plus for the town as not to many people go into a hardware store looking for a poor selection of cards.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #13
gravy boat

Default SuperMegaMultiPlexMania

I am a NJ native. I moved to NH in 1989 to get AWAY from congestion. I have a hefty commute and don't mind it, as I get to escape every night to Gilford.

More and more I see people who buy second homes or take vacations up here because they wish to get AWAY from where they work and live 24/7.

Soon enough we'll have nowhere to escape to, because NH will be just like NJ, NY, CT, MA.... you get the picture. If you want the conveniences of home, stay there.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #14
upthesaukee

Default Town Growth Management is the Key

Alton has a growth management plan and does not want to grow into a megalopolis. The town definately has needs, and RLW hit one nail right on the head...a pharmacy. Currently, we have to drive at least twenty minutes to get that new prescription for ?????, meaning we have to drive to Gilford, Wolfeboro, Farmington, Laconia, or Rochester. (I have to go to the latter, due to my prescription plan participant.) I currently shop at the local mom & pop places, and will continue to do that. but i cannot afford to buy all my groceries there. Ditto on buying gas. I can pay 2.22 or 2.26 in town, or I can go to work and pay 2.16 in any number of places. If I get caught short on the week end, I fill up in town.

Bottom line, Alton needs some growth, and it must be and I believe will be controlled.

BTW, escape to Gilford...Shaws Hannaford Walmart Lowes, TJMaxx....sorry G. B. couldn't resist it
Old 02-22-2006, 08:07 AM   #15
Paugus Bay Resident

I work in Alton and have to agree that this is a needed addition.

In terms of the mom and pop's, the circle store should, IMO, continue to do well. I know I'll keep going there.

I've heard the same rumors about McGraths. I think it would also be a great location for a movie theater. If you recall, there were plans to put a theater behind McDonald's (the land that is for sale now), but I don't believe they could get a septic approval due to the size needed.

Last edited by Paugus Bay Resident; 02-22-2006 at 08:46 AM.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:56 AM   #16
ghfromaltonbay

Default 5 & 10 in Alton

We were in Alton this past weekend and got the scoop that McGrath's indeed is supposed to be turned into a 5 & 10 (including a craft dept.) once the Hannaford's opens. This info came from people who socialize with Mrs. McGrath. I wish they could move the laundromat as well to that or some other location. Backing out onto Main St. is a real traffic hazard, especially when you're parked between higher vehicles like PU trucks, vans or SUV's.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #17
Niceorange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
We were in Alton this past weekend and got the scoop that McGrath's indeed is supposed to be turned into a 5 & 10 (including a craft dept.) once the Hannaford's opens. This info came from people who socialize with Mrs. McGrath. I wish they could move the laundromat as well to that or some other location. Backing out onto Main St. is a real traffic hazard, especially when you're parked between higher vehicles like PU trucks, vans or SUV's.

That would be a nice spot for the laundrymat, I agree with the problems of backing onto Main, especially in the weekend summer traffic. Same problem with Reuban's Hardware Store... And usually I'm backing out there with a trailer or lumber hanging out the back.

I think on the overall scheme of things Alton has done a good job of managing growth. I remember working at Shibley's back in the mid 90's when McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts moved in, and everyone was worried that they would put the locals out of business, etc. Everything seems to have coexisted just fine. As for the Hannaford... I think the only store that really looses is McGraths. Busy corners and the various gas variety marts are not really competing with it... they'll still have their walk-in/drive-in business, although some might want to cut back their grocery selection a bit and move toward other conveniences. The problem with McGraths is partly their own. For years that store has remain unchanged and unimproved, seemingly comfortable with their position as the areas only grocer. Had McGraths ever committed to improving its selection and services, perhaps the area would not be so desperate for the Hannafords.

As most people are now wasting gas traveling to Rochester, Gilford, or Tilton (for us on the Gilmanton side especially), I am happy to see a place go in that will allow some of that money to come back to Alton. It's the right kind of progress.
Niceorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #18
gravy boat

Default Upthe....

Good one! ;-)

Actually, I'm not too pleased with the Hannaford and Shaw's, as well as the new construction across from Gilford Well. Too bad I wasn't on the Planning Board! I just don't need Hannaford, Shaw's and Vista within a few mile radius of each other. And I certainly don't need another gas station down the street where Sawyer's is located -- there are PLENTY within a few mile radius and it won't make a bit of difference in the long- or short-term gas mileage to travel to one of the existing stations.

Come to think of it, I seemed to have survived before all of the development in Gilford. Don't know how I did it, but I managed. ;-)

P.S. My husband wants a Blue Canoe down at Sawyer's. During the summer, he wants to fill up, get coffee, get the paper, and head to Glendale to launch the new 100 MPH cig boat he's buying cheap due to the price of gas.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 06:23 PM   #19
busymom.of_twokids

Actually I am excited about the Hannaford coming to Alton. I can understand the concerns all you long time residents have. I am concerned too about the chance of extra traffic and people but...perhaps it'll also cause those people to use the other benefits of the town of Alton, the laundramat..hair places, hardware stores, and gas stations. (If they are like me they'll combine their trip and help our economy up here.)
I live actually up over the hill in Gilmanton Iron Works (its been almost 9 years now.) I am a stay at home mom of two children under 6 and I look at it as a way back into the work force and not too far from home either! Or the Gilmanton School.
I also know of many seniors in town that could use a closer pharmacy and grocery store with cost affective prices.. I mean no offense to McGraths. I use thier store too.
busymom.of_twokids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #20

Default Grocery Store

As a year round resident of Alton, I am excited to see the progress being made on the Hannaford market. Prices will be lower that what we are used to, the produce fresher, we'll have a few more choices as to what we buy, and they'll be hiring alot of local people to staff it. And then, there's the pharmacy. It's no fun being sick and having to drive 10-15 miles to fill a prescription.
Yes, change is difficult and I do feel for McGraths, but won't it be nice to save some fuel driving miles and miles to grocery shop!
I hear it's scheduled to open in June. Should be some big "Grand Opening" sales,too.
03810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #21
mcdude

Old 05-22-2006, 07:42 PM   #22
Winni

Smile June 10th opening

My understanding is the Grand Opening of the Alton Hannaford is June 10th. I was also told the nice woman, whose name I do not know, that was the front end manager of the Gilford store is now the manager of the Alton store. She is really nice so I'm sure it will be run well!
Old 05-23-2006, 06:42 AM   #23
busymom.of_twokids

Default Yahooo!!!

I'm so glad that that center is going in! I did talk to some of the workers in the wonderful Mc Grath's and they definately are making their store into a 5 and 10. it would be awesome if they could addd craft stuff to it..like stamping stuff, and other things. anything to help with creativity to kids imagination.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:26 AM   #24
Weirs guy

The Hannaford does open June 10th, and the MVSB branch opens May 31st.

Now?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #25
LilacHill

There is a little Grand Opening ceremony on the 10th. The PMHS band will be playing and I know my kids are rumbling about getting up at 5 AM to do this the day after Kelly's graduation. It should be pretty nice. As for the store, we live here year round and are glad to have the pharmacy and groceries clooser than they have been.

Vacation people get to go home and don't winter up here worrying about getting caught out in a storm of one sort or another when 20 miles from home doing groceries. Coming back over the mountain can be pretty hairy in bad weather.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:25 PM   #26
RLW

Post Alton Pharmacy

Now we know when the super market and bank are opening, how about the pharmacy? Anyone have that info to pass on to us all.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:19 AM   #27
maineboater

Default New Pharmacy

The new pharmacy is part of the Hannaford supermarket. It will open on the same day - June 10th.....
maineboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 05:53 AM   #28
busymom.of_twokids

yup it is hairy coming over the hill..we come over from the GIW part. I took a peak in the windows yesterday. it looks nice.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #29
upthesaukee

Default Getting real close to opening

Here's the traffic light on Rte 28. It was flashing for about a week, and was up and running on Friday Jun 2nd.

Could be a NH trivia question. When did Alton NH get it's first traffic signal?

Last edited by upthesaukee; 06-04-2006 at 05:14 AM.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:54 PM   #30
Paugus Bay Resident

Isn't that on 28? I hope I'm not loosing it since I take 11 from Gilford to Alton 4 or 5 times a week and don't recall any lights
Old 06-04-2006, 05:23 AM   #31
upthesaukee

Default Oooooooopppppppppppppsssssss

What??????? Well, errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... Whaddyamean RTE 11???? I never said rte 11 .

Thanks PBR
Old 06-04-2006, 05:57 AM   #32
Paugus Bay Resident

I feel better. I know I'm usually in a daze, but .......
Old 06-04-2006, 06:40 AM   #33
mcdude

First, the only set of stoplights is installed in town and now cell phone towers ringing the bay????

Old 06-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #34
secondcurve

McDude:

The real pain will come when Home Depot and Walmart want to put store in next to Hannafords. It will be just like the Boston area. I don't need more of this type of "progress".
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:10 PM   #35
mcdude

Why not a Christmas Tree Shop? (Don't you just.....love a bargain?) How about we put one cell phone tower on the roof of Wal-Mart and the other on the roof of Home Depot! That's the ticket!
Old 06-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #36
Quilt Lady

Default Hey, McDude . . .

. . . it sounds like you have been spending way too much time at the Shamrock!!!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:22 AM   #37
mcdude

....don't I wish!!

Last edited by mcdude; 08-02-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:23 AM   #38
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
Why not a Christmas Tree Shop?
Gosh no, my wife works at the MVSB branch!!!!!

Now?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #39
Winni

Default Civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
First, the only set of stoplights is installed in town and now cell phone towers ringing the bay????
Only the moose will have to brake for the cell towers!
Old 06-07-2006, 07:35 PM   #40
Waterbaby

Default Unpleasant Surprise May be Coming!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03810
As a year round resident of Alton, I am excited to see the progress being made on the Hannaford market. Prices will be lower that what we are used to......
I sure hope the Hannaford in Alton has better prices than the one here on the Seacoast, otherwise you'll be in for a very rude awakening in comparison to McGrath's; prices will be equal to if not higher once the store "settles in". Yes, there will be the Grand Opening specials, but if I were you I would compare the GO special prices overall to those of the markets in Gilford; you may find it still worth the money for the short travel up there. Just a word of warning!
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 06:06 PM   #41
maineboater

Default New Alton shopping center opens

I drove by the new Hannaford in Alton - quite the flurry of activity, it was hard to even find a parking space. Went in to see what was going on - pretty nice store - it actually isn't huge like those giant big-box stores. I think the store will be a welcome asset to the area.
Old 06-10-2006, 06:23 PM   #42
riverat

I checked it out at 7:18 AM and was amazed at the turnout, had trouble finding a parking spot. Loads of people actually shopping! They're having some great bargains this week, I transfered my prescriptions(12 0f them ) over to this Hannafords from Rochester. Now I only have less than 1 1/2 miles to go to get my groceries and meds, I love it . Store is a smaller version of the Rochester Hannafords, basically same stuff just less of it.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:34 AM   #43
wildwoodfam

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve
McDude:

The real pain will come when Home Depot and Walmart want to put store in next to Hannafords. It will be just like the Boston area. I don't need more of this type of "progress".

Or perhaps like the TILTON area closer to home - lets not start mudlsinging against Boston. FYI - BOSTON does NOT have a WALMART!!
wildwoodfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #44
maineboater

Default From Foster's online.....

From the Foster's online.......

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...WS10/106110090
Old 08-02-2006, 10:33 AM   #45
mcdude

Default As expected.....

From the Laconia Citizen...
Quote:
McGrath's Food Center will soon be closing its doors after more than 30 years of providing convenient shopping for Alton residents.

Saying the business was choked out by the formidable Hannaford's Supermarket, owner Cliff McGrath said the small shop in the center of town will reopen as a variety store in a couple of months.
See complete article here..
Old 08-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #46
Paugus Bay Resident

McGraths had a 50 - 75% off sale a few days ago to clear everything out. Some really good deals. Suprised FLL wasn't there Anyway, sign now says closed until October. Be interesting to see what its reincarnation will be like.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:39 PM   #47
Cobalt 232

Default Sad to hear the big guy did it again

It is really sad to hear that another giant company has squashed the small guy once again. It would be nice to stop this and ruining the lives of good decent people that are part of the community.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:45 AM   #48
TomC

Default its not a giant company that did it..

..it was the community of which you speak. Every customer of the big store chose them over the little store, for selection or prices or some other reason. The patrons made the decision, as they do in all these cases. If no one shopped at Hannafords, they wouldn't be there too long.

Besides all that, there is a permitting and approval process required by the town, which in theory at least, reflects the wishes of the community.

Unfortunately for the McGraths, I think you are seeing the desire of the community...
TomC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:38 AM   #49
WakeUp

Default Well said TomC...

TomC - you are right on the money! I always hear people down-talk the big stores, i.e. Wal-Mart, etc. This is the FREE MARKET SYSTEM in full swing! Thank GOD we are allowed such choices! I find it humorous when people say: "I'm never shopping at Wal-Mart...they drive the small guy out.." Here's a thought: EVERYONE PERSON IN THIS COUNTRY HAS THE SAME OPPORTUNITY THAT SAM WALTON HAD! I know I'll hear that everyone doesn't have the same opportunities, but that is just an excuse! Dave Thomas (founder of Wendy's) was an orphan, as was Tom Monagham, the founder of Domino's Pizza. OPPORTUNITY IS ALL AROUND US! Ray Kroc, founder of McDonalds, sold drink mixers. He was astonished that one restaurant bought 8. When he went to see this restaurant in person, he had the vision we now see world-wide. FREE ENTERPRISE/Capitalism is driven from choice!! RIGHT ON TOMC!!
WakeUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #50
Weirs guy

Besides, some day someone will open a new store and drive out Hannafords, and we'll all feel bad about that. Todays Hannafords and Wal-Marts are tomorrows Zayers and IGA.

Now?
Old 08-05-2006, 10:47 AM   #51
Mee-n-Mac

Default Look in the mirror

I'll say it before "Mee" gets a chance ... McGraths did it to themselves. They may be the nicest people on the planet but their store was subpar. I've lost count of the number of times we've gone there and not been able to get some staple item because it was out of stock. Eventually we found it better to go to the Citgo on the circle to get our minor shopping done, major shopping went to the Hannafords in Gilford. Heck, I think the Citgo could have put McGraths out of business if they wanted to. They're would have been no desire, no opportunity for a Hannafords to build in Alton if McGraths had provided more. Now it'll be interesting to see if Hannafords can keep up their standards given the seasonal nature of the business in Alton.
Old 08-05-2006, 07:38 PM   #52
jellybean

Amen Mee-n-Mac, not to mention the very limited hours that McGrath's kept. They didn't open until 8 AM! It also seemed like the inventory was very "old school" - we buy a lot of whole grain stuff and fresh fruit/vegs for our family (ummm, the current USDA nutritional standards), and they didn't have much there for us. With small children, it was a major bite of time to travel to other grocery stores. We're pretty much your typically middle-class family demographic and have lived here for a few years. I can't think of anything that has made such a difference in our weekly schedules than having a "real" grocery store come to town!
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #53
mcdude

Default GOOD NEWS for ghfromaltonbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
from today's Baysider
Quote:

Member Scott Williams recused himself from Case P11-26, as it involves a final
site plan review on a proposed 4,500-square foot building that will house Speedy Wash N’ Go, LLC (a laundromat) and provide three additional 1,000- square foot retail spaces that will available for lease. The property is located next to the Alton Post Office on School Street and Williams is in charge of the project. The board approved the site plan with conditional approval and also provided Williams with a set of subsequent conditions.

Old 09-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #54
Jonas Pilot

What an awful location for something like that. It's going to change the whole personality of that neighborhood. How close will it be to the school?
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #55
RLW

I personally do not think it will change a thing regarding the neighborhood as it will be behind the post offices as there isn't room on the sides from School Street. Regarding schools, how many schools are there now beside commercial businesses. Not necessarily in Alton. My concern is the renting of the buildings in this crappy economy which will be this way until many changes in government are made.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #56
Argie's Wife

I think it's a far better location that the other laundromat in town, where customers had to back out onto Main St. and there was limited sight distance for oncoming traffic to see them.

For a family, it could mean dropping off or picking up kids at the school, then stopping by the laundromat to get a pesky chore out of the way, while Fiddleheads and the Main St Cafe is in the lot behind the post office, there's a veterinary office on the corner of School St. and Main St., the library is less than a block away, and so are a couple of banks, the town hall, etc.

It's a smart location and as long as there's careful planning for traffic and parking I think it would be a benefit to the neighborhood. Besides, there's a lot of rental properties/multi-family homes in that area. It's not exactly suburbia, so I think this will be a good thing!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:11 PM   #57
Heaven

It is a strip mall and will negativity effect the flavor of the village.
The village location suits smaller scale unit construction, or infill, or reuse.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 01:04 PM   #58
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

OMG, some people just HATE business. I think it's a great idea. We need business for jobs. Who can't understand that????

I hope he can rent it too. In this economy that would be my concern.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #59
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
OMG, some people just HATE business. I think it's a great idea. We need business for jobs. Who can't understand that????

I hope he can rent it too. In this economy that would be my concern.
I do not hate business, at all. It is "business" whether it's an infill (filling in between other businesses already in place, think adding a tooth to an empty spot in a smile), reuse (renovating an existing under utilized building, think of the stalled construction on the corner of 140), or new construction. It is the same amount of business (unless of course you are including the purchase of building materials at a local lumberyard for a new strip mall). Check your premise.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #60
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I do not hate business, at all. It is "business" whether it's an infill (filling in between other businesses already in place, think adding a tooth to an empty spot in a smile), reuse (renovating an existing under utilized building, think of the stalled construction on the corner of 140), or new construction. It is the same amount of business (unless of course you are including the purchase of building materials at a local lumberyard for a new strip mall). Check your premise.

It just might be that they ran out of backing $$$$$. Hope not as I would loved to see the construction begin again as it is a fantastic location and a well designed building to house a business.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #61
Argie's Wife

Quote:
It is a strip mall and will negativity effect the flavor of the village.
The village location suits smaller scale unit construction, or infill, or reuse.
A strip mall? Really? Are there pictures of this project or something online so we can look at the design of the building?

I'm trying to figure where exactly on School St. this building will be going... but at the same time, you mention "smaller scale unit construction" - have you really looked closely at the houses on that street? Many have multiple-generations of additions and are HUGE multi-family homes, complete with barns, out buildings, etc.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #62
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
A strip mall? Really? Are there pictures of this project or something online so we can look at the design of the building?

I'm trying to figure where exactly on School St. this building will be going... but at the same time, you mention "smaller scale unit construction" - have you really looked closely at the houses on that street? Many have multiple-generations of additions and are HUGE multi-family homes, complete with barns, out buildings, etc.
It would be lovely if it was going to look like one of those huge multi-generational homes, but no such luck. It is going to look like a strip mall.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #63
AltonGuy

I also see some construction going on near the Alton Hannafords currently. I know there were some attempts at building there some time back but does anyone have any info on what is going on now? Sorry if I missed that information on another string!
AltonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:36 PM   #64
ghfromaltonbay

Quote:
It would be lovely if it was going to look like one of those huge multi-generational homes, but no such luck. It is going to look like a strip mall.
Considering that that area contains the post office, Fiddleheads, the school, and the Main St. Cafe, I don't think a one-story strip mall will stick out that much. Can't be any worse than having the bank and the old service station next to the Community Church in among the New England style homes on Main St. Like Argie's wife, I can't picture a big enough spot on School St., for a strip mall, unless just the entrance will be on School St. with the building itself tucked in behind the post office. The old laundromat isn't exactly a thing of beauty.

I'm just glad the new laundromat will be in a safer place to enter and exit. If the new machines are as fast and efficient as the ones in the Gilford laundry next to Patrick's Pub, we'll really be happy as they take only 25 mins. instead of 45. Too bad someone doesn't come up with a commercial use for the old Electric co-op building across from the cemetery. I hate to see buildings like that sitting empty.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #65
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonGuy View Post
I also see some construction going on near the Alton Hannafords currently. I know there were some attempts at building there some time back but does anyone have any info on what is going on now? Sorry if I missed that information on another string!
From what I'm hearing that's just a septic re-design.... but don't bet the farm on that - that's just what's being said around town at the moment...
Old 10-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #66
riverat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonGuy View Post
I was told that Meredith Bank which is now at the north end of Hanafords is going into that location and that Hanafords is taking the whole building.