Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-19-2004, 12:16 PM   #1
Mee-n-Mac

Exclamation Capt B rides again

Despite a few reports of Capt B out and about on the lake it seems nobody has bothered to compile his efforts this year. I shall now rectify that oversight Here are my sightings so far ....

In Alton Bay just past Sandy Pt (FL 23) I saw a cruiser headed out with 3 kids dangling legs through the rails on either side of the bow. Capt Bonehead proceeded with more speed (relative term) than I would have used given the traffic rounding FL23. He was overtaking a PWC and as I watched, awaiting the collision, one of his kids must have yelled to Dad because he chopped throttles at what I estimate was 4 - 5 ft arears of the PWC. I don't think the guy in the PWC ever saw the other boat. Capt B then proceeded up the bay at NWS for as far as I could see.

Later that day I saw the good Capt at the helm of a ski boat. Guess he thought that starting his skier right smack between FL23 and the shore was the right thing to do. The skier did get up after several attempts and was right quick about raising his ski over his head when 2 boats headed up the bay past him. I guess Capt B was just giving him sufficient motivation.

Lastly Capt B was towing his kids behind his Regal bowrider around 7 pm. As it got darker he remembered that he should have his lights on and thusly complied (maybe around 7:30-ish). Still was towing his kids around as it closed in on 7:45. Lights on and still tubing !?! I think both kids got off the tube but I couldn't really see them well enough to be sure.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
Mee-n-Mac

Default More on Capt B

I do believe I saw the good Capt out and about again this past weekend. First he was at the helm of a cruiser (I think the SAME cruiser as above) with kids (5) all out on the foredeck (sounds familiar to anyone), though this time not dangling their legs btw the rails nor was he running down the back of a PWC. Improvement perhaps

Second sighting was off the Mount. We did the Fri night dinner cruise (highly recommended) and as we rounded the end of Rattlesnake I a large classic (wood) cruiser (Chris Craft I think) came from other direction. Perhaps he thought that because he was to starboard, he was the stand on vessel, but in any case he continued on his course as the Mount turned. I can't be sure, but if the Mount missed him by more than 150 ft I'd be very surprised. Why he didn't cut power or turn to port I do not understand.

ps - Off Topic; on the Broads side of RI there was a house with the most interesting lighting I've seen. There were white and red alternating lights running along the porch (?) rails. There were others that in their fan tail shape and lighting looked something like sparklers.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Spotted him last night!

Captain Bonehead was out and about last night. I can happily report that he was consciences enough to be using his stern light. Unfortunately he didn’t bother with the red and green ones. To make up for it, he was navigating with his docking lights.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:16 AM   #4
Mee-n-Mac

Default I saw that boat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal
Captain Bonehead was out and about last night. I can happily report that he was consciences enough to be using his stern light. Unfortunately he didn’t bother with the red and green ones. To make up for it, he was navigating with his docking lights.
We had some unexpected free time and boated over to Wolfeboro for dinner Sat night. On the way back I think I saw the same boat. It took me a few moments to figure out what it was (docking lights plus anchor). It would seem the Capt has been training some cadets in the Lucas school of lighting as there was a bumper crop of mis-lighted boats that night. Just departing from Wolfeboro I spotted an incoming boat w/o nav lights and no sooner had I pointed it out to "Mee" than the MP stopped him. Then there was the above boat out in the Broads and 2 others in Alton Bay. Back at the dock we saw 2 or 3 others w/o all their lights on. While I occasionally spot 1 / night , 6+ in a night beats all my prior experience. Must be the weather ?

Slightly divergent note: Isn't the all-around/anchor light supposed to be 1 m higher than the nav lights ? We spotted a few boats where this wasn't the case, including what I thought was the blue MP boat.