Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
MooseRiverMan

Angry Winnipesaukee taxi

Has anyone experienced the antics of the Winnesaukee Taxi as it travels around the lake?

About a week and a half ago north or Pine Island my family and I were coming back from Center Harbor and approaching the Taxi port to port when it slashed across our bow requiring us to come to a stop and bounce in his wake.

This morning, coming out of Meredith Bay heading east with only about 50 feet from a red marker the taxi heading west came head on full speed less than 150 feet away. He had all the lake down to past Governors Island to avoid us but chose not to. I waived frantically at him but know recognition how close he was and the wake he was creating.

Reminds me of taxi drivers in New York City!
MooseRiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
itchin for fishin

Angry Ditto

I too have had the same experiences with the Winni Water Taxi.

One time I was in a smaller boat going slower than plane and the taxi came across my port side less than 75 feet in front allowing his wake to give us a bath in our boat. This occurred right at Spindle Point. He takes no responsibility for his massive wake.

I guess he must be over 31 since he obviously has not received his NH boaters license.
itchin for fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:08 PM   #3
Fun4us

Exclamation Ditto

I believe you are right about his age. This summer i have had many runins with the Taxi. It seems he thinks he is the only one out there!
Fun4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:42 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Interesting.I have not seen him that much this year until a couple of weeks ago.Saw him pass between Timber and Mark Islands 4 times yesterday but I didn't notice any bad behavior.Those taxis do have a reputation you know. SS
Old 08-10-2004, 06:29 AM   #5
Mink Islander

And when he cuts between Mark and Mink, he doesn;t bother to come down to headway speed. Sure, he slows down, but still cuts a wake through there.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2004, 07:31 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

He was a bit careless/discourteous when we were passing each other between Mark and Timber.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 08-11-2004 at 12:32 PM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:16 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Apparently, Winni Water Taxi has changed their name to Winni Lake Tours. This year, their roof top signs on its' boat are different from last year. To be really accurate, maybe they could add an italicized "Speedy" to make it 'Speedy Winni Lake Tours' and then hype their 'powered by Yanmar Diesel.' Next, a new boat name with an attitude like 'Eat My Wake' or something and then promote themselves as the sporty alternative to the slow & steady, Sophie C & Doris E tours.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-10-2004 at 12:25 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 12:51 PM   #8
Coastal Laker

Arrow How about doing something....

I know that Kevin would much prefer to be informed of who is running his boats irresponsibly than to have a bunch of folks just complain about it on the forum. He does care what his employees are doing. Next time, call him with details on date/time/location and a description of which boat it is. He has more than one boat and mover than one driver. If it were my business, I would want to know so I could do something about it.
Coastal Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:41 PM   #9
Outlaw

Kinda like those "How's my driving - call 1-800-xxx-xxxx" on the back of commercial trucks.

Here's how to contact Winni Water Taxi:
Web site: http://www.winniwatertaxi.com/
Phone: (603) 528-6900
Email: info@winnilaketours.com
Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #10
Mink Islander

Coastal Laker: Maybe you could let him know about these posts too? Seems chronic enough that perhaps a discussion with his entire staff would be appropriate as a start. If you've got his #, I'll happily give him a call too.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 07:05 PM   #11
itchin for fishin

Default If I'm a Winni business...

I agree with Mink Islander. If I am running a business on Winni, I reading these forums. These are your current and potential customers. Everyone makes a mistake once in a while, so I didn't feel it right to call and complain, but obviously there is a trend here. Hopefully he is in the process of correcting it.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:35 AM   #12
Belmont Resident

Default who was really in the wrong?

Being that you are on a forum and subject to no rules as far as posting the wrong information it could be that the original poster was in the wrong.
I talked with Kevin and he said that the boat driver in question cut across his bow, not the other way around as posted.
Kevin has been boating on this lake and showing folks how to operate boats longer than I've been driving one, I'd tend to believe his version before I believed someone who for all practicale purposes might not even be aware of the rules of the lake.
As for his boat wake I believe the design alone makes for a big wake at any speed, and 150' is a lot closer than a lot of people realize.
Many boaters have no clue as to who has the right of way in a given situation. Just look at all the people pulling tubers and skiers. They think they have the right of way no matter what.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:07 AM   #13
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

I don’t think our experience is serious enough to complain about. We were heading south through the islands and had to slow almost to a stop directly next to the second black buoy because the taxi was coming at us and not leaving us room. Not a huge deal. I should not have mentioned the incident at all.

Last edited by Rattlesnake Gal; 08-11-2004 at 07:14 AM.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:10 AM   #14
itchin for fishin

Belmont Resident,

Even if Kevin is right in the incident you question, (I'm not saying he is and MooseRiverMan is wrong), there obviously is an issue if so many people have concerns. While Kevin may have many years of boating experience, he does need to pay attention to these posts, especially considering it can affect his business. We don't see posts such as these about Sophie C, Doris E or the Mount. BTW, I know for a fact that the Taxi cut across my bow from the port.

Last edited by itchin for fishin; 08-11-2004 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:30 PM   #15
Belmont Resident

I'm not saying Kevin is perfect or the worlds greatest boater. We all make mistakes. I see more people in violation out on the lake then I see following the rules. I've stopped counting the number of times the other boat was suppose to stand down. Most never do. So when I see postings pointing the finger I wonder if the other boater is the one who is in the wrong but doesn't even know he/she is.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:48 PM   #16
MooseRiverMan

Default winni taxi

To Belmontman, I have been on the lake for 30 years, know the rules very well, in fact do a refresher on my boating certificate to stay up to date and I know what I saw, what we experienced and were forced to do and Kevin is just flat out and out wrong. I do not put my family in jeopardy by cutting across someones bow. I can bring a whole family to attest to what happened.
MooseRiverMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 06:31 PM   #17
HotDog

Thumbs down Follow The Rules Taxi Man!

if this man is going to have a business that takes place driving people around i think he might want to follow the rules. I have seen this man drive around 10 mph in the post office no wake zone by bear island. I think that someone needs to pull him over and tell him that he needs to follow the rules. Just becasue he is working on the water doen't mean that he can not follow them. HE IS ACTING LIKE HE OWNS THE WATER!!