Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
TheProfessor

Default Lubricate Calipers

Routine oil change.

Was with a neighbor who owns a 2019 Subaru.

Went to local Subaru dealer with her. She agrees with the service people if they recommend anything.

She was charged $44.00 to lubricate the calipers.

Never heard of lubricate calipers. Is this common ?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:35 PM   #2
8gv

$44 to lube all 4?

That would be a great deal!

If the caliper slides get grimy a pad might not retract well.

If that happens the rotor can heat up enough to give you a pulsating brake pedal.

The amount of slide lube from the factory may be zero to none.

Internet opinions have suggested that the lube can mess up the painting process so they come dry from the factory but I am skeptical of that.
8gv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 09:25 PM   #3
SAB1

Never heard of that either. Always just clean them up and lube pins when doing brake job.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:26 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Caliper Lube

Found in any auto supply store. If not, brake lube will do.

Calipers tend to stick in place. The holders should be lubed as well. To lube effectively requires removal of the calipers, clean and lubricate the grooves that hold the calipers in place.

When you buy the high-end calipers such as Brembo and Power Stop have caliper lube in their kits.

I'm surprised a dealer charged for this service. German Motorsport, MB and Audi does not.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I doubt they took them apart for $44. Sounds like they used a brake lube in a spray can so they could charge you for a brake inspection, what use to be a free service. Usually they are lubed when a brake job is done and not touched again until another one is needed. If you asked them for a tire rotation it probably would have been $60 while they already had all the wheels off, LOL! Anything to get more money out of the customer.
I had a lot of customers with Foresters that needed rear brakes at 30K miles and rear wheel bearings at 60K miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by Biggd; 02-22-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #6
ApS

Question What Indications Are Present?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
Routine oil change.

Was with a neighbor who owns a 2019 Subaru.

Went to local Subaru dealer with her. She agrees with the service people if they recommend anything.

She was charged $44.00 to lubricate the calipers. Never heard of lubricate calipers. Is this common ?
You're correct to be skeptical. Maybe if there's some indication of imprecise brake operation, but this is a fairly new car.

"Service Writers" earn their salary by selling willing customers questionable services or parts. The product is a grease, but application requires a lot of work (or should). Especially since it's not returnable, I'd "let it go" as one of life's lessons.

I was "sold" a premium oil filter at an oil change--not knowing they'd have to order it--and I'd have to wait for it.

An oil change that used to be $30 in Wolfeboro on the same car is now approaching $100!

The "brake grease" product does exist:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Agree with biggd, who'd written faster!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:35 AM   #7
fatlazyless

Makes me smart to have passed on that 2016 Forester 95k-miles $12,000 from last week and just keep on a-going with my smashed Scion xB 5-speed 219k-miles 4 'riginal ngk spark plugs.

A great big thank-you to the great Toyota workers, somewhere in Japan, who built this ugly, boxy car ........ and here's hop'n I never ever end up ...... under the $130/hr-flat rate GUN, service rate down at the Irwin Zone. This here little Toyota Scion ..... it never wants to go back to that ZONE ...... no-thanks! .....

Like, what the heck is up with all-wheel drive ..... all-wheel drive is just so totally un-needed ....... with a simple front wheel drive and 5-speed manual ..... the cars drives perfectly perfect ...... for 219k-miles and counting, so far ....... and the two rear wheels always follow along, out back there, for the ride. .... you know the speed limit is 70-mph .....

Unless you is a state trooper driving a Dodge Charger with Hakkapelitta snow tires from Finland there is iike no need for all-wheel drive (period!). ... ..... after all, the speed limit is 70-mph.

And another thing, those little triangle vent windows with the click latch ........ bring 'em back ...... and forgetabout that big 'puter screen in the middle of the dashboard! ....... after all, the speed limit is like 70-mph.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-22-2021 at 12:31 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #8
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I doubt they took them apart for $44. Sounds like they used a brake lube in a spray can so they could charge you for a brake inspection, what use to be a free service. Usually they are lubed when a brake job is done and not touched again until another one is needed. If you asked them for a tire rotation it probably would have been $60 while they already had all the wheels off, LOL! Anything to get more money out of the customer.
I had a lot of customers with Foresters that needed rear brakes at 30K miles and rear wheel bearings at 60K miles.
[/URL]
The tires were rotated. Not sure if they took the calipers apart.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
TheProfessor

None of my many vehicles ever had the calipers lubricated.
Never heard of this.

Is this something new for newer vehicles? The car in question is a 2019 Subaru with about 25,000 miles.

Only went in for an oil change. Apparently the service department "recommends" other things.

This was not my vehicle.

Is this something new for newer vehicles ?
Old 02-22-2021, 12:58 PM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Rtm

Means read the manual. If 'required maintenance' is not in the manual then it is safe to say no thanks!
Old 02-22-2021, 03:56 PM   #11
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Means read the manual. If 'required maintenance' is not in the manual then it is safe to say no thanks!
It's always safe to say "no thanks".
Brake pads are a "wearing item" not covered under warrantee unless a defect is found.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #12
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Found in any auto supply store. If not, brake lube will do.

Calipers tend to stick in place. The holders should be lubed as well. To lube effectively requires removal of the calipers, clean and lubricate the grooves that hold the calipers in place.

When you buy the high-end calipers such as Brembo and Power Stop have caliper lube in their kits.

I'm surprised a dealer charged for this service. German Motorsport, MB and Audi does not.
This all comes down to the manufacturer.

Toyota for example has two basic designs one that has a fixed caliper and pins the pads slide on with spreader springs or a floating caliper where the brakes are indexed in the frame the caliper bolts to. They have stainless steel clips that fit inside those slide points to prevent pinching, corrosion build up and pad chatter. The floating calipers do require periodic maintenance where the pins the caliper floats on get a little dab of grease. For the most part this should last the life of the caliper so long as the rubber seals do not get breeched.

Charging for this and going out of the way to do it is an odd thing to "upsell" and quite frankly sounds like a bogus charge. Especially on such a newer car. Now I don't know anything about Subaru - never worked on one, but I just find this hard to believe is necessary.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:58 PM   #13
steve-on-mark

Default To lube or not to lube...

Well...since I do this for a living... a fixed caliper has pistons on both inboard and outboard sides so they don't have to slide and the pistons put equal amounts of pressure on the inner and outer pads. Floating calipers only have one piston on the inboard side... the " forks " on the outboard side apply force to the outer pads because the caliper is designed to slide on pins... the piston pushes in on the inner pads, while the forks push the outer pads as the caliper slides. I have seen these pins get very corroded and not allow the caliper to slide the way it was designed to which is why in this part of the world ( road salt ) servicing is recommended. I have also seen brake pads get rusted and seized in the brackets they ride in... there's nothing the pushes the pads away from the rotors when you let off the brake...they need to be able to slide freely. If the pads are seized, they stay in contact with the rotors, causing excessive heat build up leading to warpage. You should be able to remove brake pads by hand, but I've seen some that have to be hammered out of their brackets... that's why cleaning and lubricating is important as well. That is all...
steve-on-mark is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to steve-on-mark For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-25-2021), BroadHopper (02-26-2021), Top-Water (02-25-2021)