Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-25-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
dykg

Default Fishing off the Mt Washington dock at Weirs Beach

Back in the 70's and 80's, we were allowed to fish off the Mt Washington dock at Weirs Beach for Bass during the summer. It was such a great time since we did not have a boat and Bass fishing was phenomenal Anyone that was familiar with this area back in that time knows what I am talking about. Now they do not allow it (it has not allowed for some time now) since I think they felt it was hazard plus it is private property. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this because I do have fond memories during that time. Anyone else had the experience of fishing off this dock during that time period?
dykg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #2
Pineedles

Default Center Harbor Dock

Ah yes, don't know about Weirs Dock but there was great perch fishing off the Mount's dock in Center Harbor in the 60's. They prohibited entry to the dock I think sometime in the early 80's. Great memories of jumping off the tall pilings into the water and also diving for coins that the Mount's passengers would throw.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
katiesmom

Never fished off the Mt Washington Pier but we fished in Meredith all the time! I was wondering what the deal is because the last couple years up I haven't seen any fish at all. We always had sunfish, perch and horn pouts around the dock now there are none. Also I was looking for crayfish to show my daughter and there aren't any of them either. Is it just me? I also remember jumping off the Mt dry dock in Ctr Harbor back in the day. Don't thing I'd do that again that was high!!
katiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #4
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default I can tell you what's happen

In the last few years the milfoil has taken over that area and Northern Pike are now living in the milfoil. I guess their favorite dish are the bass and other fish I use to see there all the time. Last time I was there searching for treasures (I mean cleaning up the trash down there) I was moving my hand back and forth along the bottom, a large Pike darted out of the cover only to find a huge monster just waiting to grab him, or so he thought... Truth be known, it was actually the other way around he scared the bejesses out of me and I was ready to exit the scene right then and there. Not that I’m a woos about fish but this one was about three feet long with all sorts of sharp teeth in its mouth. Like a barracuda in camouflage and I don’t care much for them either.

Next time I dive over there I'm bringing my bang stick and the will be one less predator in the lake.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 08:30 AM   #5
hilltopper

I believe those are pickerel and not pike. Pike have the ability to destroy a trout/salmon fishery over time. There was a monster pike caught out of Sebago Lake in Maine earlier this year. Many see it as a sign that illegally introduced pike are now prospering in the lake and that it is only a matter of time before they destroy the smelt population thus destroying the salmon population. To my knowledge (and I hope to heck it's the case) there are no pike in Winni but plenty of pickerel.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Call it what you want...

Since I'm not much into wildlife of the lake, I'm most likely wrong. A fish is a fish, unless it has a mouth full of teeth and an attitude to match, then I notice them.

I can only guess where all the bass, perch and sunfish have gone. My money is on the big guy with the teeth.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
scubajay1153

Default Toothy and spooky

I'm with you WD. Not up on what type of fish is what but I have had my share of startling encounters with Pike, Pickerel, Bass, Lake Sharks and the most terrifying to encounter suddenly, 3 (may have been 10) foot long eel! I jest but I am not fond of eel as they are swimming snakes and having one swim over a rock and plow into my facemask made me scream like a kindergarten girl after little Billy kissed her on the play ground spreading his boy cooties! That milfoil hides some scary stuff! :P

I know the bottle hunting around the Weirs Mt. Wash docks and Winni Pier is pretty good tho"!
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Airwaves

I remember the first time I really wanted to catch a fish was on my honeymoon (showing off for the new bride and all) The owner of Paugus Bay Sporting Goods told me about the Mt Washington trick, drop a line in the water as the Mt left the dock and you'll be catching fish because the screws turn up the water and the fish are feeding. Of course that was 1978

As for what WD might have seen? I hope it was pickerel and not pike, but it's hard to tell the difference, HERE are pics of the pike family
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #9
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default If I had to pick one in the lineup...

Gees, I don't know, they all look alike, but, I'd have to say it was number 2... Could you have him say "Give me all the fish and no one gets hurt here"... Ya, it's him: Mr. Grass Pickerel.

Can we go now? This is really upsetting me.