Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-07-2023, 04:49 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default High Winni Water Level

July 7, 2023 and looking at the BearCam, it now has three 17-gallon rope handle tubs, filled with lake water, and set strategically on the dock, there, to keep the wood sections from floating away.

17 gal x 8-lb = 136-lbs, each tub, $7.98 Walmart, plus you get to use the tubs for yard work, later on ..... very good!
Old 07-07-2023, 05:54 AM   #2
phoenix

Its the highest I have ever seen at this time of year
Old 07-07-2023, 06:43 AM   #3
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

It really is high!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 01:40 PM   #4
Mr. V

Dumb question, but why not let the excess out and flush it down the river?

Or is the river already at or near flood stage?
Old 07-07-2023, 06:55 PM   #5
John Mercier

Downstream is already too high.
Silver Lake is in a No Wake order.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2023, 07:23 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Issued July 4, 2023: a ..... http://www.nhsp.dos.nh.gov/news-and-...er-silver-lake ..... for Silver Lake, a 202-acre "lake" in the Winnipesaukee River.

Lake Winnipesaukee which is 45,440-acres size and 75-billion gallons water has only one outflow, the Winnipesaukee River ...... http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/maps...ver_tilton.pdf ..... which meanders through Laconia, Belmont, Tilton, and Franklin before draining into the Merrimack River.

If the Lakeport Dam in Laconia lets out too much water from Lake Winnipesaukee then the homes on Silver Lake in the Winnipesaukee River in Belmont/Tilton get flooded, plus Silver Lake is also dam controlled, somehow or other, by the Lochmere Dam at the inflow to Silver Lake and the entire Lake Winnipesaukee water drainage outflow flows out through the Winnipesaukee River which includes Silver Lake.

You got all that!

Attention: there will be a 50-question pop quiz with all questions based on information taken from these two above links at 9-pm, tonight!
Old 07-07-2023, 09:06 PM   #7
John Mercier

Winnisquam is dam controlled by the Lochmere Dam.
Opeechee is dam controlled by the Avery Dam.

Water flows freely out of Silver Lake down the Winni to Franklin were the next dam is. Since nothing is holding the water back in Silver Lake... pouring more into it cannot be compensated by opening a dam on the other end to let some out. It just has to move freely into the floodplain and down the river.

Eagle Creek is reporting that they are flowing what they can.
Old 07-08-2023, 04:39 AM   #8
jeffk

All the downstream indicators are very high, and Winnipesaukee is about 6" over full. That's a lot but nowhere near a no wake point (it was several inches higher at the end of April THIS year).

The Lakeport dam output is at about 1200 CFS, which would drop the the lake roughly 1/2" per day. It would take about 10 days to run off the excess 5". HOWEVER, the predicted rain over the next 10 days is about 3", PLUS any runoff, negating most of the dam's effect. Further, that rain will prevent downstream from dropping their levels and make it concerning to increase the Lakeport output even more.

As long as we keep getting all the rain, like we have been getting over the last month or so, it will be a slow process to drop Winnipesaukee's water level.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (07-08-2023)
Old 07-08-2023, 06:28 AM   #9
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Funny (Not funny) this thread started with a post on April 9th asking why the water level was so low. Times and conditions have changed.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 09:46 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Default High Water

WMUR "Lake levels around the state are up, like Lake Winnipesaukee, 6 inches above normal, Lake Sunapee, 6 inches, Lake Winnisquam, 9.5 inches and Silver Lake in Belmont is so high it's under a no wake order."

To me, it seems like more than 6 inches up. This weeks potential rain won't make it any better.

https://www.wmur.com/article/rain-ne...-high/44482163
Old 07-10-2023, 08:41 AM   #11
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

There has been so much rain, there is no where for it to go....... it is just going to be one of those years...... Hopefully they will be able to continue to open the dam in 100 cfs increments a few times this week.... the problem right now is that they are trying to keep All the lakes in the chain at a point where they are usable for recreational purposes, and don't have to enact no wake protocols..... unfortunately they have not been able to do that for the owners on Silver Lake which almost reached flood stage is currently at a now wake water level....

As for me my dock is weighed down, and still breathing, although with the rain this week, it might be underwater soon.... and need some more wight added.....
Old 07-10-2023, 09:04 AM   #12
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
WMUR "Lake levels around the state are up, like Lake Winnipesaukee, 6 inches above normal, Lake Sunapee, 6 inches, Lake Winnisquam, 9.5 inches and Silver Lake in Belmont is so high it's under a no wake order."

To me, it seems like more than 6 inches up. This weeks potential rain won't make it any better.

https://www.wmur.com/article/rain-ne...-high/44482163
Not good for boating but restaurants and bars are booming! Went by Twin Barns yesterday and there was nowhere to park! The bartender told me last year's numbers were down because the weather was so good but so far this year it's looking like record sales!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:28 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Not good for boating but restaurants and bars are booming! Went by Twin Barns yesterday and there was nowhere to park! The bartender told me last year's numbers were down because the weather was so good but so far this year it's looking like record sales!
If you ask me, what Twin Barns could use is an outdoor, weatherproof ping pong table, set off to the side somewhere, outdoors. For $149.99 they can get a GoSports bright pink table top, ping pong, with all aluminum frame and legs with free shipping from u-know-where. It's a nice looking ping pong table.

This would go good with their business because it will give people both something to do, there, plus something interesting to watch, there outdoors, a ping pong game in action.
Old 07-10-2023, 02:19 PM   #14
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default Ping Pong?

Ping Pong? Remember those igloos for outdoor ding during the pandemic? Soon, with AI, those will be outfitted for whatever location you want. Tap your credit card and a few keys and you can be on Bourbon Street, or sitting with Gary at Buena Vista with an Irish Coffee.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (07-12-2023)
Old 07-12-2023, 06:30 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Today is Wednesday, July 12, and looking at the weather forecast for this weekend, July 14-15-16, Fri-Sat-Sun, it says rain 90%-60%-70% for these three days.

Having a rainy weekend what with the high Lake Winnipesaukee water level which is going up and up will definitely make for a lot fewer boats out there, making big boat wakes that hit the shoreline and shake, rattle and roll a submerged, or almost submerged dock a lot less likely to be happening.

A relatively light weight aluminum dock will pitch and roll like a slinky or something when an incoming two foot boat wake rolls underneath it and uplifts it with each water slap ....... slap-slap-slap ..... that 500-lb dock just done got moved one inch by an incoming wake ..... slap-slap-slap.

Is why some boats get stored on a boat lift ..... too many waves and wakes .... slap-slap-slap .... moving lake waves and wakes have power and energy ..... is called 'water power.'
Old 07-13-2023, 08:27 AM   #16
LIforrelaxin

So the lake is actually now starting to go down some according to the DES page this morning. They are allow ~1750 cfs to flow out of the dam, so with no rain there should be another good improvement in the lake level today....

The question becomes how much rain will we see this weekend, and how will it effect the current situation..... As high as Winnipesaukee is right now, because it is being lowered, Winnisquam is going to be rising as its dam is only open to around ~1500 CFS, and sliver lake will remain in a no-wake situation for the foreseeable future....

The good news is NASCAR is in town, so there is somewhere beside the lakes being the focal point of the weekend....
Old 07-13-2023, 11:42 AM   #17
WinnisquamZ

Got my self into a situation that is taking up to much of my time. Must vent. Our neighbors, a older couple from MA. Their pole dock is a mess due to high water and wakes. I have used rocks and buckets to keep it in place, but it needs to be pulled and reinstalled. They refuse to call anyone until they “asses the damage themselves”. So they call me. Daily. I have pulled floating boards back to shore numerous times this week. Must add they have no time table to return north to asses. Done. Thanks for listening

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 11:56 AM   #18
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Got my self into a situation that is taking up to much of my time. Must vent. Our neighbors, a older couple from MA. Their pole dock is a mess due to high water and wakes. I have used rocks and buckets to keep it in place, but it needs to be pulled and reinstalled. They refuse to call anyone until they “asses the damage themselves”. So they call me. Daily. I have pulled floating boards back to shore numerous times this week. Must add they have no time table to return north to asses. Done. Thanks for listening

I taught my kids at a very young age that "no" is a very powerful and when used properly, liberating word. Tell your neighbors that their dock maintenance is too much for you to take care of. Suggest they get their "asses" up to assess then dock soon, because you are done.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 12:34 PM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Quote:

I agree with ITD. As a good helpful neighbor, you can often time be taken for granted. When the water first rose quickly helping them out because they are not there all the time is a nice gesture. However if they can't make the time to come asses the situation that burden is on them, and they shouldn't be burdening you with their responsibility.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:52 PM   #20
Biggd

Quote:

Sorry, phone went dead.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:53 PM   #21
fatlazyless

What do you know ..... here's a dock installation ad from Craigslist/Laconia posted July 2 .... Dock Installation ...... http://www.nh.craigslist.org/mas/d/l...639030612.html (does this link work? probably not) ....... in Services in Marine with 3 photos and it says:

dock installation (Laconia)

Skilled marine construction worker. In the dock installation Business for 8 years. Am willing to take on most jobs. Will need to do site visits for price estimates. Seasonal docks, rafts, boat lifts, dock repairs, the list goes on. Please call me by txt or call 603 581-8847
Old 07-13-2023, 02:37 PM   #22
TheTimeTraveler

Exclamation

Quote:

Did you tell them that your consulting fee is $100 per hour?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 03:16 PM   #23
fatlazyless

Thursday, July 13, 2023 ...... http://www.twitter.com/NH_HSEM/statu...60832571187201 .... maybe heavy rain and wind tonight?

Is it time to rig a line from your jetski lift, out front to an anchor set into the lake floor to maybe keep it from getting knocked over by the waves and high water?

Thursday, July 13, 2023 ...... http://www.dos.nh.gov/news-and-media...h-water-levels .... urges caution due to high water levels

Thursday, July 13, 2023 ......http://www.wmur.com/article/lake-sun...er-nh/44538660 ..... Lake Sunapee; motorboat towing a water-tuber raises havoc with all-wood dock and boat house

Who you gonna call for dock repair work if it's too much to do-it-yourself? In Laconia you can maybe try ...... "Skilled marine construction worker. In dock installation Business for 8 years. Am willing to take on most jobs. Will need to do site visits for price estimates. Seasonal docks, rafts, boat lifts, dock repairs, the list goes on. Please call me by txt or call 603 581-8847" ...... posted in Craigslist on July 2 and on June 20 under services/marine

Thursday, July 13, 2023 ..... http://www.vtdigger.org/2023/07/13/r...coma-lake-dam/ ..... Rescuers aid 3-people fishing on pontoon boat with motor that stalled out, hung up on Mascoma Lake dam in Lebanon, NH

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-14-2023 at 05:55 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 09:09 AM   #24
TiltonBB

This about covers it!
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-14-2023), LIforrelaxin (07-14-2023), Trail Goer (07-17-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 10:11 AM   #25
LIforrelaxin

So I looked at the DES website, the dam now is spilling out about ~1800 cfs..... so hopefully over the weekend we will see some positive changes in the lake level..... even with the forecasted rain....

Remember at around 1920 cfs the lake will drop about 1 inch per 24 hour period. of Course that I believe takes into account a minimal inflow....
Glove (07-17-2023)
Old 07-15-2023, 05:05 AM   #26
jeffk

Winni is still about 4" over full and 3" of rain is predicted over the next 10 days, plus runoff. At the current dam release rate of roughly 1" per day that should bring us down to full lake in about 10 days

Things are headed in the right direction and, given the copious amounts of rain we have had in the last month or so, that is really good management of the water level by DES.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 01:36 PM   #27
phoenix

My water level is the highest its been even back in april
Old 07-18-2023, 06:01 AM   #28
TiltonBB

Default Possible 300 Foot Safe Passage

From the Laconia Sun:

It’s worth noting that the current lake level, though apparently a record for this date, is still lower than the highest level in recent history. The “Lake Winnipesaukee Lake Level Data Graph,” published by DES, shows that a level of nearly 506 feet had been previously recorded.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...613735ed3.html

Last edited by TiltonBB; 07-18-2023 at 06:59 AM.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:06 AM   #29
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Request

I met a 91 year old gentlemen this morning at the Glendale docks. He has a mainland home along Belknap Point. He respectfully asked me to spread the word to anyone I knew who boated to please be observant of your wakes during this time of extreme high water. His rock walls and property were taking a beating by a FEW boaters getting too close to shore. He graciously asked to keep as much distance from the shore as possible so wakes will decrease before hitting the shoreline.

Sounded like a very reasonable and sensible request so I told him to "consider it done"!

Dan
GregW11 (07-18-2023), Welch '62 (07-24-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 07:10 AM   #30
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I met a 91 year old gentlemen this morning at the Glendale docks. He has a mainland home along Belknap Point. He respectfully asked me to spread the word to anyone I knew who boated to please be observant of your wakes during this time of extreme high water. His rock walls and property were taking a beating by a FEW boaters getting too close to shore. He graciously asked to keep as much distance from the shore as possible so wakes will decrease before hitting the shoreline.

Sounded like a very reasonable and sensible request so I told him to "consider it done"!

Dan
Will do!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2023, 07:26 AM   #31
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
From the Laconia Sun:

It’s worth noting that the current lake level, though apparently a record for this date, is still lower than the highest level in recent history. The “Lake Winnipesaukee Lake Level Data Graph,” published by DES, shows that a level of nearly 506 feet had been previously recorded.

The historical levels have little value. The article states 1968. We can all agree development along the lake front and surrounding areas is threefold since then. Runoff would saturate the ground now gets directed to a area which is overwhelmed. Hopefully these recent events will lead to more attention being paid to what is required for new developments and lakefront properties. And let’s not forget existing catch basins and runoff here in Laconia and surrounding towns need maintenance that is often pushed aside to a later date

Old 07-18-2023, 07:54 AM   #32
Biggd

Quote:
From the Laconia Sun:

Still more rain on the way.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:31 AM   #33
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
It is a very reasonable request, and I think for many of us seasoned folks it is common sense.... Unfortuantely there are a lot of people who's common sense is overtaken by their selfishness.... But I digress....

I had just raised my dock this past weekend.... and now it looks like I need to weigh it down again..... Although I did see they are going to open the valve another 200 cfs today, to 1150 cfs.... hopefully that will start to bring the lake down.... I would really like to see it up at around 1500 cfs, and maybe it will get their by the weekend.... 505 ft. is getting more and more realistic!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2023, 09:20 AM   #34
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Email today from Lake Winnipesaukee Association

Quote:
With the tremendous amount of rainfall received yesterday, as well as over the past 2 weeks, the current level of the lake is at 504.88 feet, which is 6.7 inches above full lake of 504.32 feet. Yesterday's rain has caused flooding, road washouts, and obviously erosion. The polluted stormwater makes its way to the lake via rivers, streams, stormdrains, catchbasins, and road drainage ditches.

We ask that you observe headway speed within 300 feet of the shoreline in order to reduce further damage to the shoreline caused by boat wakes.

The current discharge from the Lakeport Dam is 950 cubic feet per second. According to the NH Department of Environmental Services, "flow will be ramped up to higher levels to drop the lake level as the week progresses. These flows could change due to weather, or other operational factors. The lake level of Winnipesaukee is a delicate balance, due to the potential impacts downstream. Please be EXTREMELY mindful of your wakes at this time."
Alan
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-18-2023), Biggd (07-18-2023), Broken Glass (07-19-2023), Descant (07-18-2023), FlyingScot (07-18-2023), ishoot308 (07-18-2023), LakeTimes (07-19-2023), LIforrelaxin (07-18-2023), Resident 2B (07-18-2023), samosetguy (07-19-2023), Sue Doe-Nym (07-18-2023), The Winster (07-18-2023), upthesaukee (07-18-2023), wingnuts (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 02:10 PM   #35
wentworthwhitbreadIII

My son in law just got a new wake boat. The kids were out in it having a good time yesterday at dusk with the tunes cranking and a good roll set. It was the first nice day in awhile. My grumpy neighbor was yelling and complaining because they were washing out his waterfront and destroying his dock. Anyone have recommendations where we can go near the neck to enjoy the lake? A no wake infringes on our rights to the pursuit of happiness.

wentworthwhitbreadIII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wentworthwhitbreadIII For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 02:18 PM   #36
TiltonBB

Don't even know where to start with a response to that.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-18-2023), camp guy (07-19-2023), CTYankee (07-19-2023), MRD (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 02:33 PM   #37
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Don't even know where to start with a response to that.
It has to be sarcasm?

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-18-2023), wentworthwhitbreadIII (07-19-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 02:36 PM   #38
WinnisquamZ

I do. Your disrespectful children should be a where of there surroundings and the issue we are all facing at the time. Clearly your parenting skills are weak. Respect your neighbor and remind, no tell your children to move away from the location in question

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
CubRun (07-18-2023), Island-Ho (07-20-2023), Resident 2B (07-18-2023), TiltonBB (07-18-2023), tummyman (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 02:54 PM   #39
ApS

Thumbs up It Is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
It has to be sarcasm?
It is, and I approve!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 03:56 PM   #40
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentworthwhitbreadIII View Post
My son in law just got a new wake boat. The kids were out in it having a good time yesterday at dusk with the tunes cranking and a good roll set. It was the first nice day in awhile. My grumpy neighbor was yelling and complaining because they were washing out his waterfront and destroying his dock. Anyone have recommendations where we can go near the neck to enjoy the lake? A no wake infringes on our rights to the pursuit of happiness.
"Cranking the tunes" for all to share. Many on this Forum have voiced their thoughts about such generous sharing.
Old 07-18-2023, 04:48 PM   #41
garysanfran

Quote:

Tell us a little about your family. I think it would be of interest.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (07-19-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 07:11 PM   #42
SAB1

Skip the neck. Plenty of Atlantic off Portsmouth….
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:35 AM   #43
The Real BigGuy

Quote:

You’re joking, right? Did you or you son-in-law ever think that the cranked tunes and “good roll” (my assumption is you are talking about his wake wave) are infringing on others rights to the pursuit of happiness? Probably not because it’s all about you.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:41 AM   #44
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Troll

Poster wentworthwhitbreadIII is obviously trolling...Best not to feed the trolls...

Dan
Descant (07-19-2023), LIforrelaxin (07-19-2023), upthesaukee (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 08:40 AM   #45
wentworthwhitbreadIII

Gents I may have been projecting as I was the cranky neighbor ;-). The lack of respect by my neighbor ‘s sense of entitlement is ridiculous

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wentworthwhitbreadIII For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-20-2023), CTYankee (07-19-2023), Harry Heffalump (07-19-2023), ishoot308 (07-19-2023), Slickcraft (07-19-2023), tis (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 09:05 AM   #46
thinkxingu

Quote:
Gents I may have been projecting as I was the cranky neighbor ;-). The lack of respect by my neighbor ‘s sense of entitlement is ridiculous

It's absolutely frustrating, for sure. Sorry you have to deal with it.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:36 AM   #47
LIforrelaxin

Quote:

Unfortunately the sense of entitlement is very high these days. But I think it is more then that at play often times. Many of us have been around the lake for decades... We have seen it change, and learned what effects different conditions can have on it. However there are a host of new people many with money that are now moving in, their vision is not the same as ours. They want all the comforts they enjoy at home.... coming to Winnipesaukee is no longer about escaping modern day life.... it is about Modern life on the lake, part of that modern life is being less concerned about the environment and being more concerned about what can be done on the lake to make modern life more enjoyable. Up until this point, yes I am really discussing just entitlement, so let me go on..... What many of these new lakers don't have a conception of is how much the lake has changed over the last 30-40 years. Well this lake is still in good shape compared to many other lakes, development and over use is taking its toll, but the only way to see that is to have witnessed the changes in the long term.... Todays short term self entitled people don't have that History.....

When I started coming to the lake many years ago, muck on our shore front was none existent.... now it is gathering more and more.... fortunately my family is active enough in the water that we stir it up, and it moves along.... but I wonder how much longer that will continue to be the case.....How much longer before the invasive species, that have lived in certain sections of the lake, continue to spread into more of the lake....Having seen the damage invasive species can do on Lake Champlain, I am concerned that in another 30-40 years my grand kids will not think of Winnipesaukee as a desirable place to go on a constant basis...

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 07-19-2023 at 02:33 PM.
LIforrelaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LIforrelaxin For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-20-2023), Biggd (07-20-2023), CubRun (07-19-2023), tis (07-19-2023), winterharbor59 (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 11:16 AM   #48
wentworthwhitbreadIII

100%

Old 07-19-2023, 12:07 PM   #49
tis

And it never used to be about partying but a nice quiet place to relax.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Jeanzb1 (07-22-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 12:20 PM   #50
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Email today from Lake Winnipesaukee Association

Alan
Just curious, I usually am well more than 300 ft from shore even in lower lake levels anyway, but is this "asking to observe" an pull overable offence like when the No Wake Zone was put on the entire lake? Or is this just a common sense and lets be kind type of statement?
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 01:07 PM   #51
Descant

courtesy and common sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
chachee52 (07-19-2023), wentworthwhitbreadIII (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 01:08 PM   #52
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
Just curious, I usually am well more than 300 ft from shore even in lower lake levels anyway, but is this "asking to observe" an pull overable offence like when the No Wake Zone was put on the entire lake? Or is this just a common sense and lets be kind type of statement?
Common sense suggestion.

Alan
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
chachee52 (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 01:19 PM   #53
Descant

Comment removed as not germane to this thread.

Last edited by Descant; 07-19-2023 at 02:40 PM. Reason: not germane to this thread
Old 07-19-2023, 01:56 PM   #54
8gv

What is a "STR"?

Short term rental?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 02:41 PM   #55
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
What is a "STR"?

Short term rental?
Yes, but I removed the post as not germane to water levels.
Old 07-21-2023, 10:02 PM   #56
KPW

Quote:

With the water level where it is, nowhere. Keep eroding the shoreline if you choose.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 10:09 PM   #57
garysanfran

I know you've been looking forward to your vacation this week. But please stop your water skiing and wake surfing between Stonedam and Meredith Neck. PLEASE.
Old 07-21-2023, 10:16 PM   #58
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc

Planning to head out on Lake Winni this weekend? Please be conscious of your wake and "double the distance" to 300 ft. from the shore. Winni is approximately 7 inches above full lake level, and the average (1982-2022) lake level for Winni at this time of year is 504.00. The dam bureau is discharging flows at 1550 cubic feet per second which is equivalent to almost 700,000 gallons per minute! There are no cyanobacteria alerts or advisories within the Lake Winnipesaukee watershed at this time.

“Double Your Distance!”

New Hampshire Marine Patrol and LWA are in agreeance that we need to "double the distance!". The safe passage law remains the same, restricting boaters to headway speed within 150 feet of any other boat, shore, docks, or mooring fields, but Capt. Brendan Davey with the Department of Safety said current conditions warrant doubling that distance. Staying 300 feet from the shore and maintaining headway speed will help reduce your impact on the shoreline.

Pollution and sediment are added to the lake at an alarming rate in rain events like these because the ground only has the capacity to absorb so much. Because of the high water level, with the added height and additional wave power, waves are crashing onto the shoreline and affecting areas that normally would not be impacted. Storm runoff contains bacteria, pollutants, and excess nutrients that are washed into the lake. Reducing your wake and doubling your distance will help reduce your impact on Lake Winnipesaukee.

Attached Images

The Lake Winnipesaukee Association (LWA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the water quality and natural resources of Lake Winnipesaukee and its watershed. Through monitoring, education, stewardship, and science guided approaches for lake management, LWA works to ensure Winnipesaukee’s scenic beauty, wildlife habitat, water quality and recreational potential continues to provide enjoyment long into the future.

http://www.winnipesaukee.org/
http://winnipesaukeegateway.org/
Lake Winnipesaukee Assoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 04:26 AM   #59
tis

Good luck with 300 ft. when you can't even get them to not make a wake in a no wake zone or 150 feet from shore/ docks etc. They have no clue.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 07:24 AM   #60
The Real BigGuy

Amen to the last

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
GodSmile (07-22-2023), JPC (07-22-2023), tis (07-22-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 01:39 PM   #61
Susie Cougar

How can you get this information to renters? Should the rental agencies have pamphlets or brochures that they can give that explains all the rules on the lake?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 05:15 AM   #62
garysanfran

Default Rate of discharge...

How can I find the rate of Winni water discharge at Lakeport dam?
Old 07-24-2023, 05:59 AM   #63
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
How can you get this information to renters? Should the rental agencies have pamphlets or brochures that they can give that explains all the rules on the lake?
The 300 foot idea is a common sense suggestion by the Lake Winnipesaukee Association. It is not a rule.

Good luck getting renters to abide by it. The regular, make a big wake have a loud stereo boats, that are based on the lake won't stop doing their thing, and don't seem to care. What would make you think a renter would?

Two of these environmental disaster boats went up and down in front of my house (with the music blaring) for a long time yesterday. One was within 100 feet from shore. Their wakes washed over my docks loosening boards, over my seawall into the yard, and bounced the boat around. Today's project is to try to refasten some of the planks that came up.

I am not sure if the "make a wake blast the stereo" boat owners know and don't care, or are just clueless about the problems they cause.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-24-2023), garysanfran (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 06:28 AM   #64
fatlazyless

Looking at the weather forecast for the next eight days till August 1st, and feel'n the weather, it sure seems like the rainy weather has done left the building for now. This should be a BIG plus for lowering the Lake Winnipesaukee water level by about 3.5-inches between today and August 1st. Time will tell and we just have to wait and watch as the level goes down a wee small bit, each and every day, now till August 1.

I know there was some people on this lake with a very olde aluminum dock, low in the water, and actually one to three inches under the water, all weighted down with 32-gal trash water barrel, granite blocks, concrete garden blocks and 250-lb 5-gal concrete bucket, about 20 different weighty items, that was able to survive yesterday's 10-hour constant incoming big water wakes just fine with no damage what-so-ever because it, the dock, was weighted down and mostly underwater ..... just like a submarine.

So, where there is a will, there is a way! You just need to think it ahead a little bit and assume that some bad things will usually happen ...... (you got that, Looney Bin ...... ).
Old 07-24-2023, 07:22 AM   #65
thinkxingu

Quote:
The 300 foot idea is a common sense suggestion by the Lake Winnipesaukee Association. It is not a rule.

Good luck getting renters to abide by it. The regular, make a big wake have a loud stereo boats, that are based on the lake won't stop doing their thing, and don't seem to care. What would make you think a renter would?

Two of these environmental disaster boats went up and down in front of my house (with the music blaring) for a long time yesterday. One was within 100 feet from shore. Their wakes washed over my docks loosening boards, over my seawall into the yard, and bounced the boat around. Today's project is to try to refasten some of the planks that came up.

I am not sure if the "make a wake blast the stereo" boat owners know and don't care, or are just clueless about the problems they cause.
Last night by Suissevale, there were two wakeboats doing their thing way too close to everything and everybody—they were running in the space between Little Ganzey and Ganzey/the mainland. We were anchored about 100' off LGI, and it was horrible to see the size of the compounding waves they were creating.

They were clearly skilled at what they were doing, so we assumed not new to the lake/activity, but clearly did not think at all about their actions OR didn't care.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-25-2023), FlyingScot (07-24-2023), The Winster (07-25-2023), TiltonBB (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 07:38 AM   #66
garysanfran

I have two 32 gal. trash barrels filled with water (plus several smaller ones). Each 32 gal. weighing over 200 #'s. Yesterday, a huge cruiser came about 50-75' away with the largest wake I've seen throwing both barrels up about 8-10" and they didn't settle back in a good position. Trying to move those barrels, without having to drain them, and reposition the boards, was not an easy task.

I've not seen any decrease in the Lake level for the last few days. In fact, it looks about 1/2" higher than last Friday.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:43 AM   #67
garysanfran

Default Insurance claims...

I wonder how many insurance claims this activity has generated and would a substantial increase affect the decision to make the Lake a NWZ?
Old 07-24-2023, 08:36 AM   #68
LIforrelaxin

So I looked at the DES page this morning, the lake is indeed coming down, again. It is currently at ~504.84 which means the lake is down somewhere around ~1 inch since it high point.... The dam is being openned back up to ~1670 cfs... it had been put down to ~1500 cfs.... If we avoid any serious rain accumulation the lake level should fall some more this week, and hopefully they will feel that they can open the dam even a little further later this week.

For those that have asked, the following website can be used to get information on the lake level and dam outputs... https://nhdes.rtiamanzi.org/
garysanfran (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 10:57 AM   #69
bobkatfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
How can I find the rate of Winni water discharge at Lakeport dam?
Gary, here is a link to the 2023 lake level, inflow and outflow in pdf form. There is a chart and graph form available. Both are good resources. I usually favor the chart as I get the the numbers right up front but the graph is useful for seeing historical trends through the season.

https://www.des.nh.gov/resource-cent...bcategory=Dams

Amherst till the big 66 comes (made it!)
Winter Harbor/Mirror Lake till the big guy comes
bobkatfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobkatfly For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #70
John Mercier

Quote:
I wonder how many insurance claims this activity has generated and would a substantial increase affect the decision to make the Lake a NWZ?
I would guess that the Legislature wouldn't be open to that... if you are speculating the entire lake all the time.

The long number of rain days compressed the usage, and the high levels when the sun is out, just further complicated it for the short term.

If the weather pattern proved consistent year-after-year, the Legislature might make some other changes... but I honestly feel that it would not go as far as the entire lake all the time.
Old 07-24-2023, 11:33 AM   #71
Woodsy

Quote:
I am not sure insurance covers dock damage... The MP (or whatever body) should think long and hard before making a lake wide NWZ and messing around with the economic engine that is Lake Winnipesaukee. The last time it happened, a lot of the businesses around the lake that depend on tourism cried foul.

Woodsy
TiltonBB (07-24-2023), WinnisquamZ (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 12:03 PM   #72
WinnisquamZ

What does need to happen are rule changes that allow lakeside property owners to repair and or modify their property without the overwhelmingly regulations. Bring in more stone as required. Move a rock or two without risk of a fine

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (07-24-2023), Woodsy (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #73
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I am not sure insurance covers dock damage... The MP (or whatever body) should think long and hard before making a lake wide NWZ and messing around with the economic engine that is Lake Winnipesaukee. The last time it happened, a lot of the businesses around the lake that depend on tourism cried foul.

Woodsy
The last time the lake went to a NW condition, I do believe it was a combined decision of DES, and the Marine Patrol. I also remember that I was standing in about 6-8 inches of water on top of my dock. We haven't come close to that level. when that happened the lake was at least 1 ft. plus above full pool....

The tourism engine is always crying foul about something. So really Honestly, I don't think that plays part in the decision at all...

As I have said all along, I don't even think the state would consider a NW order for Winnipesaukee until it went over 505 ft. and while we where close it didn't get there... At that level, many marina's, and yacht clubs start running into issues..... Up until then most of the problems are from individual home owners...
Old 07-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #74
FlyingScot

Quote:
What does need to happen are rule changes that allow lakeside property owners to repair and or modify their property without the overwhelmingly regulations. Bring in more stone as required. Move a rock or two without risk of a fine

The rules exist because many lakefront owners were as uncaring about their environmental impact as the wakeboarders in Think's post.
FlyingScot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 04:41 PM   #75
TiltonBB

We should see some level drop this week. 4:30 PM today. There is a lot of water going over the Lakeport Dam.
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2023, 05:18 PM   #76
Slickcraft

Quote:
We should see some level drop this week. 4:30 PM today. There is a lot of water going over the Lakeport Dam.
Yes about 1,650 CFS the past few days.

Alan
Old 07-25-2023, 05:11 AM   #77
ApS

Question Could "Model Help" Be On The Way...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
An out-of-state occasional visitor asked why the NH Marine Patrol isn't enforcing wake rules.

I sure picked a terrible summer to hire a helper to repair major dock damage!

...and wind is preferable even when returning from an 8-mile distant Wolfeboro fireworks display in a 14-foot wooden boat. (Back when the biggest boat in Winter Harbor was a 18-foot wooden Thompson)...

But I think help is on the way!

(Starting elsewhere, of course).

Quote:
The Lake Minnetonka Conservation District's (LMCD) new rule requiring all boats to maintain a speed of 5 mph or less within 300 feet of the shore is now in effect. This is an increase from the previous 150-foot distance.

"After soliciting input and hosting a public listening session, the Lake Minnetonka Conservation District Board determined that our regulations did not reflect current trends in boating equipment and activities," Ann Hoelscher, LMCD board chair, said in a statement. "This rule will help ensure an enjoyable experience for everyone who visits Lake Minnetonka."
https://www.fox9.com/news/lake-minne...w-speed-limit-
My three newest neighbors--2022--have cut down their century-old shoreline trees. I can now see five hundred feet of the neighbors' shorelines and docks. (When at one time, I couldn't see or hear any neighbors at all).

One has mud puddling where their new lawn was supposed to go...much mud has already flowed into the lake...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:57 AM   #78
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Looking this morning, the lake is down almost 2 tenths of a foot from the high point last week.... so roughly about 2.5 inches...... progress is being made, if we can stay ran free the lake should be in pretty good shape by the weekend....

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 07-26-2023 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:08 AM   #79
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Looking this morning, the lake is down almost 2 tenths of an inch from the high point last week.... so roughly about 2.5 inches...... progress is being made, if we can stay ran free the lake should be in pretty good shape by the weekend....
It looks like it went down overnight!
Old 07-25-2023, 08:02 AM   #80
8gv

Maybe the water was absorbed into the shore from all the wave action on Sunday.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 09:37 AM   #81
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It looks like it went down overnight!
I am actually wondering if they slowed down the inflow into the lake..... Unfortunately the in feeds into Winnipesaukee are not monitored so it is hard to tell.... But I do believe there is some control, some of the in feed lakes that can be adjusted when needed......(Kanasakta, MerryMeeting, Waukewan, etc)...

Of course this may mean once the get the lake level back down, they will increase flows out of this lakes and the lake will rise a bit again.....

There is intertwined dance that has to go on to get all this water down stream...
Old 07-25-2023, 10:02 AM   #82
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Maybe the water was absorbed into the shore from all the wave action on Sunday.
It all absorbed into my lawn as it splashed over our wall.

In all seriousness, my neighbor on Bear is built extremely close to the water. The waves last week at one point were breaking over the sea wall and splashing her on her covered porch!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:47 AM   #83
JayR

Default Water Level Control

I just look at some of these pictures and I think, DAM!
Old 07-25-2023, 05:07 PM   #84
TiltonBB

Quote:
Looking this morning, the lake is down almost 2 tenths of an inch from the high point last week.... so roughly about 2.5 inches...... progress is being made, if we can stay ran free the lake should be in pretty good shape by the weekend....
I was weak on math when I got my GED!

Please explain how 2 tenths of an inch equates to 2.5 inches.

Answer soon as I want to apply this math in other areas!
Old 07-25-2023, 06:17 PM   #85
winni83

I think what LIF was referring to was that a decrease in the observed lake level based on the state chart for the Wein3 station of 0.2 inches equates to about 2.5 inches. 0.2 x 12 = 2.4 inches
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 06:30 PM   #86
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
I think what LIF was referring to was that a decrease in the observed lake level based on the state chart for the Wein3 station of 0.2 inches equates to about 2.5 inches. 0.2 x 12 = 2.4 inches
That would be 0.2 feet equates to ............
Old 07-25-2023, 06:44 PM   #87
TheTimeTraveler

Forget the math. The lake has in fact declined in level today, Tuesday 7/25/23.

Easy, done!
Old 07-25-2023, 07:40 PM   #88
mishman

Default We're at Oct. 1 cumulative rainfall already!

If I read the DES chart correctly, right now (July 25) if it stopped raining for two months and one week, we would back at average precipitation for the year on Oct. 1! In other words, to no one's surprise, we are WAY ahead on precipitation this year. Maybe we'll get a dry August and September but I doubt it unless the jet stream straitens itself out (not forecast to happen over the next ten days).
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 07:52 PM   #89
WinnisquamZ

Mother Nature always equals herself out. Agree. A dry August and September maybe in the forecast

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
DotRat (07-25-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 08:33 AM   #90
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
I was weak on math when I got my GED!

Please explain how 2 tenths of an inch equates to 2.5 inches.

Answer soon as I want to apply this math in other areas!
So it is really easy to explain..10 tenths = 1ft = 12 inches......so 12 inches / 10 tenths = 1.2 inches per tenth....so when there is s 2 tenth drop from 504.9, to 504.7, 2 tenths x 1.2 inches per tenth = 2.4 inches ..... I round up a bit, because I think the actual drop was a bit more then 2 tenths.... so at that point I estimated 2.5 inches....

Today I will calculate again the high point looks like it was around 504.95 on July 18th.

Today the lake is around 504.69.

so .95 - .68 = .26 of a foot drop so that is 2.6 tenths X 1.2 inches per tenth = 3.12 inches

like wise you can do .26 of a foot X 12 inches per foot = 3.12 inches

Today's math lesson has been brought to you by the number 5 and the letter W.......

Last edited by LIforrelaxin; 07-26-2023 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling and formatting corrections
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LIforrelaxin For This Useful Post:
8gv (07-27-2023), ACME on the Broads (07-26-2023), WinnisquamZ (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 08:38 AM   #91
WinnisquamZ

Good stuff. And my eyes are telling me we dropped a bit on this lake. Have a good day

Old 07-26-2023, 09:16 AM   #92
FlyingScot

Quote:
Mother Nature always equals herself out. Agree. A dry August and September maybe in the forecast

Ummm...maybe...but her clock is very different than ours, she works over millennia. It's pretty clear from dozens (hundreds?) of sources that our environment is becoming warmer, wetter, and windier over the past several decades, and virtually everyone expects this to continue for the rest of our lifetimes. This is a real threat to the lake as these conditions increase nutrients and plant/algae growth
FlyingScot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 10:00 AM   #93
ITD

Clear as mud.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 12:43 PM   #94
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Clear as mud.
Don’t forget the Ummmm.

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
ITD (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 01:49 PM   #95
TiltonBB

Quote:
I saw your explanation but I am still not sure you are right.

Didn't you mean the lake is down 2 tenths of a foot?
Old 07-26-2023, 03:11 PM   #96
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
I saw your explanation but I am still not sure you are right.

Didn't you mean the lake is down 2 tenths of a foot?
Yes, I missed that.... I have corrected the original post......
TiltonBB (07-26-2023)
Old 07-26-2023, 06:47 PM   #97
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Ummm...maybe...but her clock is very different than ours, she works over millennia. It's pretty clear from dozens (hundreds?) of sources that our environment is becoming warmer, wetter, and windier over the past several decades, and virtually everyone expects this to continue for the rest of our lifetimes. This is a real threat to the lake as these conditions increase nutrients and plant/algae growth
At least it is a short enough timeline to check the hypothesis.
August and September will come and go quickly, and hard data on precipitation in relation to the average will be known.
Old 07-26-2023, 07:01 PM   #98
TheTimeTraveler

So here is a hypothetical question for everyone;

We all received record amounts of rain in June and July. If this were fall as snow during the winter then how much snow would approximately this equate to ?

I think we received somewhere between 8 and 12 inches so I assume it would be a very high snowfall amount......

Anyone have any idea ?
Old 07-26-2023, 07:44 PM   #99
garysanfran

Isn't, given average moisture content, 10" of snow per 1" of water?
Old 07-26-2023, 08:35 PM   #100
Sue Doe-Nym

4-5 inches of wet snow or 15 inches of powdery snow per 1 inch of rain, according to my pal, Google
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Garcia (07-27-2023)