Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2004, 08:54 PM   #1
Lakegeezer

Default Some Ossipee snowmobile trails closed??

I heard that while route 15 will still be open, several of the off-shoot snowmobile trails in the Ossipee mountains (Castle trails) will be closed to snowmobiles this winter. Can anyone confirm that?
Old 11-15-2004, 11:25 PM   #2
HUH

Default Hope not

Anyone here anything on this .. Can you still get up mount shaw etc .. What happened to the Moultonborough sno club ?? Lots of no trespassing signs on rt. 109 around the castle prop.
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
WeirsBeachBoater

Default I will look into this....

I know the Moultonborough trail master, I will give him a call.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

It would be nice to know for sure. There is no mention of it on the NHSA web site which if it were a done deal I'd expect to see some mention of it there. I'd be real interested in knowing who and why the trails were closed if it turns out to be true.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 08:04 AM   #5
islandAl

Thumbs down Castle Trails

unfortunately. the LRCT has closed all trails to snowmobiling except corridor 15 (and maybe 15A) and Shaw overlook. All the rest are reserved for cc skiing and snowshoeing.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2004, 12:44 PM   #6
Island Girl

Default Letter campaign

If this is true snowobilers should start a letter campaign to LRCT. We contributed to keep the area undeveloped, not to turn off recreational use to some users.

Is this in writing somewhere and to whom do we write?

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:54 PM   #7
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl
If this is true snowobilers should start a letter campaign to LRCT. We contributed to keep the area undeveloped, not to turn off recreational use to some users.

Is this in writing somewhere and to whom do we write?
I think a basic route would be good!
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 07:49 AM   #8
Lakegeezer

Angry Hope they change their minds

I know that the Lakes Region Conservation Trust http://www.lrct.org/ has seen their last contribution from me unless they change their minds. Keeping route 15 open is good - but some of the best trails are the ones off of 15. They are less crowded, and not so much a highway. The same organization owns Red Hill. Hopefully their attitude won't spread there. The real shame is that there was no notification from them. No public discussion, or even a discussion among those that donated to keep the Ossipees from being developed. I have sent email to them twice, and got no reply. Without the grooming of the "off 15" trails, it is unlikely that more than a small handfull of people will get to enjoy the trails of the Ossipees in the Winter. It just urks me that I contributed a lot of money to help close my favorite snowmobile trails.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:06 PM   #9
HUH

Default Its a shame

Nor reply from LRCT or moultonborough snomo club ! Anyone have anything

Last edited by HUH; 11-21-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:38 PM   #10
HUH

Thumbs down Bad News

I just got an email from the president of the Moultonborough snomobile club..
No trails on Castle proprty except corridor 15 to white lake state park .. The tree huggers win again .. Very sad to hear .. Shaw mt was one of my favorite local rides .. Oh well there will be at least 2 or 3 sno shoers that will enjoy it all to themselves for one day maybe two ..
Old 11-21-2004, 09:50 PM   #11
Island Girl

Default Start writing

Start writing to LRCT and tell all of your friends to write
...write your legislators. They only win if you let them.

....... Make Lemonade

Last edited by Island Girl; 11-21-2004 at 10:01 PM.
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 11:21 PM   #12
Senter Cove Guy

Default Bad news, ayuh

I also had written to the president of the Moultonboro Snowmobile Club asking him what could be done to retract the trail closings. He suggested writing to the Union Leader. No voice is no action. It's time to start writing:

The email address for letters to the editor of the Union leader is:

letters@theunionleader.com

You can find the "rules" for letter writing at:

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=15747
Senter Cove Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 09:06 PM   #13
HUH

Angry Lrct

Lakes region Conservation trust has closed the Castle in the clouds property to snomobiles.. I dont think they realize what a large part of local culture snomobiling is , not to mention its suppert of the local economy .. I dont believe that they would have gotten the funding they did to buy the property had they revealed thier ultimate goal for the property.. Tree Hugging !!
How many people do they think will, or are capable of snoshoeing to the top of Mt Shaw in Febuary..
Please dont give them another Nickle
Old 11-22-2004, 08:10 AM   #14
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Letter Writing Anyone???

I think that the collective voice of the states snowmobilers should be heard. I wonder if the NHSA knows about this? It is bad enough that we lose trails to development, then an organization pretends to save an area from development only to close it to snowmobiles... That is wrong!
Old 11-22-2004, 12:46 PM   #15
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Just off phone with trailmaster!!!

As of now there is going to be one trail only. Corridor 15 will be the only trail open. Supposedly the trust is putting a gag order on the state about this trail closure. It's time for someone to drop a dime to the newspapers!
Old 11-22-2004, 01:02 PM   #16
HUH

Thumbs down Alterior motives

LRCT is very vague about what they will do with the land leading up to the purchase ..Im sure there are many donators that had no idea this kind of shutdown to the public would take place ..
Old 11-22-2004, 01:55 PM   #17
Seaplane Pilot

I think the majority of snowmobilers in NH probably belong to the New Hampshire Snowmobile Association, since membership in NHSA allows a reduced rate now on the cost of a sled registration. I'm sure that they are already aware of the trail closings by LRCT, but it would not hurt to contact them and express your concerns. Following is the contact information taken off of the NHSA website www.nhsa.com

Contact NHSA Office

603-224-8906

603-226-3880

NHSAOffice@nhsa.com

722 Route 3A
Suite 14
Bow, NH 03304

Executive Director:

Gail Hanson
email: execdir@nhsa.com

Office Manager: Irene Russell
email: NHSAOffice@nhsa.com
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 04:17 PM   #18
HUH

Default Nhsa

Good info seaplane ..I already sent them a letter .. And yes you get a somewhat reduced rate when you register. Remember you either join a local club or $30 at the time of registration goes to the grant in aid program (federal funds for trail maintenance) of which LRCT will not get any assistance.. Good luck with them finding volunteers to maintain the trails to the level they have been..
Old 11-22-2004, 06:17 PM   #19
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Talked to a friend at NHSA

He said that people should call Paul Gray at the Bureau of Trails in Concord. It is not right that the LRCT misled snowmobilers to get our money then shut us out!!! I hate to say it but this is a tree hugger move!!! I know I will do what I can to tell everyone about this!
Old 11-23-2004, 12:52 PM   #20
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Crawford Notch

I hear that the state cut a snowmobile trail through Crawford Notch. The AMC put out a court order and the state has to fence it off. Any truth to this rumour?
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:00 PM   #21
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default It's True!

Click here for article
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:44 PM   #22
HUH

Angry Thanks Mcdude

Intersting article ..
Well I have to go put extra picks in my snomobile track now as Im real anxcious to grind up the flora and scare away all the fawna !!
Old 11-24-2004, 12:14 PM   #23
Tired of Waiting

Default Fixing a problem

I'm not into snowmobiles but the count for views on this thred was 666, just could not let that stay.

Be safe.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 03:45 PM   #24
HUH

Default Hmmm

Yur not superstisious now are ya ?
Old 11-29-2004, 10:54 AM   #25
HUH

Default Lrct

Dont know if anyone else has tried but I havn't recieved any reply from LRCT..
They seem to have selective response..If you have some money to donate their real friendly..If you want clarifacation on thier policies/ goals you get nothing..
Old 11-30-2004, 12:28 PM   #26
Island-Ho

Default The Other Side

I for one am glad to see that LRCT has set aside a few of the lesser used trails to be used by those of us who don't enjoy hearing a racing sled bearing down on us around a blind corner, forcing us to take cover behind the nearest tree. If LRCT had not bought the property and stopped the development of the slopes, even route 15 would be closed eventually. Your contributions did go to a good cause for all of us.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 03:39 PM   #27
WeirsBeachBoater

Angry Island HO

I think the point is that snowmobilers that donated to this purchase feel they were convienently misled. Also watch how you paint all snowmobilers with that broad brush you are swinging around. I could go on with stories about xc skiers and snowshoe people. I have spent many hours in the seat of a Trail Groomer I have plenty of stories!!! Not all snowmobilers are loud and racers!!!
Old 12-01-2004, 04:24 PM   #28
HUH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island-Ho
I for one am glad to see that LRCT has set aside a few of the lesser used trails to be used by those of us who don't enjoy hearing a racing sled bearing down on us around a blind corner, forcing us to take cover behind the nearest tree. If LRCT had not bought the property and stopped the development of the slopes, even route 15 would be closed eventually. Your contributions did go to a good cause for all of us.
Well ..no .. not all of us ..
Youll hear the empty beer cans spewing out from my storage compartment and littering the old growth forest, long before you hear the roar of my "RACING SLED"
Old 12-08-2004, 11:11 AM   #29
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Castle Trails

the article is out in todays union leader.

to maxum who is your inside source at nhsa? they have had no involement in the negociations. read on and you will see what i was told by nhsa. ask for sargent shultz. i know nathing!!!!!

not responcable for spelling or gramatical errors (no spell checker).

geezer,

my name is george higgins. i have been trying since 10-09-04 to get an answer to the castle trails situation. no one will talk. lrct has asked for a "gag" order between them and ohrv. nhsa is not involved in any of the negociations. i have sent out over 30 e-mails in the past 6 weeks with only 2 replys. there is an artical coming out in tomorrows union leader by carol carter wich i have contributed to. i am inserting some of the e-mails i have sent to give you a picture of what i have run up against.

i wish i had known about this forun earlier. i just signed up and do not have posting privilages. could you post this for me.

george

to lrct

to: lrct@metrocast.net

gentlemen,

can you tell me if snow shoeing and cross country skiing will be available in the castle in the clouds? we really enjoyed the hiking trails that were open this summer.

thanks,

gentlemen,

i have been trying for a month and a half to get the "truth" about the castle trails for this upcoming season. i presume your aware of the stories floating around about lrct closing all but the corridor trail "15" over the castle and opening the remainder of the trails to "snowshoeing and cross country skiing". i have sent out numerous e-mails to every body in nhsa, ohrv, fish and game and lrct with only two replies. one from lucy ford who told me to contact gail hanson at nsha and major tim acerno from fish&game who replied the f&s does not get involved in trail acquisitions, only law enforcement.

nhsa has been asked by ohrv not comment on the issue. gail's answer today was we don't know nuthin. maybe she (nsha) should! i also talked to ohrv, gail sowles, who would only say they were in negotiations with lrct and had agreed not speak (gag order) of the issue.

another issue that has not been mentioned is the castle parking lot being available to connect to the wolfeboro power line trail or to be able to park an unload there.

in my e-mails to nhsa cris runnals and tom willand were included twice, still waiting to hear from either of them.

there was a letter to the editor in last weeks meredith new with regards to closing the castle trails. i have been contacted by the union leader and have relayed my experiences with this situation.

there is more but this should give the basic idea of what is happening.

thanks for listening,

george higgins

member moultonboro smc

jeff balch

i sent out an e-mail on 11-22-04 to multiple groups and individual questioning the status of the castle in the clouds trails this coming season. to data i have received only one reply, major tim acerno. there is a story out there that the lakes regional conservation trust is only going to open up corridor 15 and all other trials would be used for snowshoeing and cross country skiing. the worst part of this story is that the lrct has placed a "gag" order on every one involved so as to avoid any adverse publicity. nhsa seams to be avoiding this issue. i asked for a correct e-mail address for chris runnels on the 22nd and have yet to get a reply from them. i did get it out of the snow traveler.

can some one tell me what is going on.

thanks,

george higgins

original message -----
to: crunnals@wmconnect.com ; jb.balch@valley.net ; execdir@nhsa.com ; reg2@nhfgd.org
cc: lflemoine@msn.com ; nhtrails@dred.state.nh.us ; cabanas@worldpath.net ; lrs@jackwilleys.com ; prwent1320@aolcom ; ljpolk@juno.com ; info@wildlife.state.nh.us
sent: monday, november 22, 2004 4:14 pm
subject: castle trail situation?????????????????????

gentlemen,

i hope this e-mail is not too confusing. we have been trying to get the full and accurate story about the trail status of the castle in the clouds. the local clubs have worked hard in the past to maintain these trails. the castle has become a "destination" ride for many snowmobilers every year. it adds to the economy of the area. if it is now relegated to just passage way between tamworth and moultonboro all this will be lost.

i am hearing some very disturbing comments with regards to the lrct wanting every thin hushed up about this situation. i thing this bothers me the most. as for keeping it quite, i doubt that will happen. i think it would be better if we knew the "truth" about the situation before things get out of hand.

another key point is will the parking lot be open to snowmobiles? this is an access point to the castle trails, wolfeboro trials and the moultonboro trails.

right now i would suspect there may be some mis-information out there. just looking for an honest answer.

thanks for listening,

george higgins

below is some recent correspondence i have sent out.

questions ask of both nhsa and fish & game

fish&game question

----- original message -----
to: nhtrails@dred.state.nh.us
sent: tuesday, november 09, 2004 4:43 pm
subject: castle in the clouds trail closings

gentlemen,

do you have any information as to the lakes regional conservation trust closing all but corridor 15 over the castle between moultonboro and tamworth. there are several ugly stories going around already. one being fish and game is being "gagged" by "lrct" not to make this public in order to avoid adverse publicity over this mater. i talked to "nsha" yesterday and got the distinct impression they were avoiding issue.

george higgins

nhsa question

to:
cc:
subject: fw: castle in the clouds trail closings
date: tuesday, november 09, 2004 4:55 pm

gail hanson

can you tell me what nhsa position is in this matter?

thank you.

gentlemen,

do you have any information as to the lakes regional conservation trust closing all but corridor 15 over the castle between moultonboro and tamworth. there are several ugly stories going around already. one being fish and game is being "gagged" by "lrct" not to make this public in order to avoid adverse publicity over this mater. i talked to "nsha" yesterday and got the distinct impression they were avoiding issue.

george higgins

reply fish&game

to: "george higgins"
subject: re: castle in the clouds trail closings
date: monday, november 15, 2004 2:35 pm

as soon as the chief returns from vacation we can answer you. at the moment i have no info.

-----original message-----
sent: monday, november 15, 2004 1:31 pm
to: margaret morrison
subject: fw: castle in the clouds trail closings

still waiting for comment?

gentlemen,

george higgins

reply from lucy ford, nhsa

to:
cc: "gail hanson"
subject: castle
date: wednesday, november 10, 2004 8:40 pm

george,
the bot is working with the castle to come up with the trails that will be
used for this year, to date i don't think that they have finalized anything.
when you called the nhsa who did you speech with? if you have more interest
or comments please call and talk with gail hanson our ex director.
thanks
lucy ford
president
nhsa

Last edited by webmaster; 12-08-2004 at 08:34 PM. Reason: removed all caps
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 04:43 PM   #30
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I cannot reveal any names here, but what I can say is that the response that I got falls along the same lines you are getting, which is any conversations being conducted are subject to this "gag" order. I figured this to be something imposed by some legal stipulation or there was some impending court battle going on. Either way it was my understanding that the NHSA is aware of what is going on an I got the impression that some folks there were at least in the know, but what thier direct involvement is in the whole mess is again an unknown factor. It's my bad for assuming that they were directly involved, although I find that really hard to believe, why else would they not be able to comment on the matter? I just don't understand why no information can be let out. Like I had said before I hope that in the end some sort of reasonable solution can be agreed to, seems a bit rash to close everything but one main corridor trail. If I do hear of anything further I'll be sure to post it, but as of now we are all stuck talking to a bunch of clams
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:11 PM   #31
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Nhsa Involvement?????????

iformation was give out indicating there was a court ordered "gag" order about takling about the castle. when asked in what court the case was being heared, the reply was i don't know.
a simple call to the clerck of coursts revield there was no case?

when i talked to gail hanson and questioned her as to wether nhsa should be an advocate in the matter i got an answer that whent of in a tangent as to the local clubs jumping on the bandwagon to donate to the lrct for the purchase and not involving nhsa more.

there was to be a directors meeting last night and the subject was to be on the adgender. i hope to here tonight what happend.

winnocturn

Last edited by webmaster; 12-08-2004 at 08:36 PM. Reason: removed all caps
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 06:45 PM   #32
ITD

Default Link to Article in "The Union Leader"

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=48067
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote