Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2010, 06:14 PM   #1
nesun326

Default Boat loving dogs?

We recently lost our 13 year old greyhound. As we are "dog people" we will certainly look for another pup, but have recently purchased a boat, and question whether a greyhound is the best breed. First off, anyone out there have a boat and a greyhound? If not, other breeds who seem to love the lake life? We are also considering a siberian husky (I know this is quite a contradiction!) and wonder about huskies and boating. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
nesun326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Bear Island South

Default Water Dogs

consider any of the retriever breeds

of course we are Black Lab lovers, this is my favorite of our boy Guster
Attached Images

Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Lab = # 1

I'll second the Labrador choice. They are just simply great lovable dogs that really love anything to do with the water!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
robmac

I agree,Labs are fantastic additions to any family. Ours, one black one chocolate are so much fun. The only issue we have had was while boating in FL. our black lab saw something in the water while underway and tried to jump overboard to investigate,luckily we caught her as what she wanted to play with was a 5 ft. shark. But they both love the water and boating.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
Seeker

Our Siberian Husky lived with us on our boat weekends and vacations for many years. He liked the boat but not water. The deepest he would go was up to his belly. Remember, hot summer days are not for Huskies, they would much rather be lying out in the snow. Everyone I've met needs to be leashed at all times - they were bred to run. After he passed away we got a labx puppy who absolutely loved the water and the boats.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
lawn psycho

Golden retrievers love the water...

We have one who we have a leash on him in the boat "just in case" as he can get excited and will absolutely jump right out of the boat.

The other one is more laid back. If we all jump in for a swim he will not tolerate being on the boat by himself. Otherwise, he does not seem to care for being on the boat and curls up on the floor. We've wondered if maybe he gets seasick. After a while we finally left him at home.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Argie's Wife

I'd recommend you consider dog-types (Retrievers, Spaniels, Water Dogs, and Hounds) and then narrow down your considerations based on coat-length you're willing to deal with, size of the dog, general temperament, etc.

If you can, adopt vs. buy the dog. There's many strays needing help and animal rescues are overloaded, as you can imagine.

NH Humane Society - Laconia

Lakes Region Humane Society - Ossippee

Concord-Merrimack County SPCA - Penacook

New England Basset Hound Rescue - Raymond

Petfinder - National

Adopt-A-Pet - National

It is with reservations that I recommend you also try Craig's List. Because some people have misrepresented themselves and the pet they are trying to re-home or sell, the Pets classified ads have a bad reputation. I do believe there are folks on there who honestly are trying to do their best for a pet they are rehoming. I would NOT recommend buying a dog from Craig's List.

If you opt to buy, I would recommend that you go to the AKC website, find the list of breeders for your desired breed of dog or go to that breed's society or fancier's website. I do not recommend puppy.com or those types of site - back yard breeders, in other words.

I'm excite for you - being able to open up your home and heart to a dog is a great opportunity! Best of luck in your search!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Chillin & Grillin (06-01-2010), Pepper (05-10-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (05-10-2010), Whimsey (05-17-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Pepper

Thumbs up Best advice yet!!!

Argie'sWife ~ hands down the best advice offed on the subject! So many variables to consider when adding a canine member to the family.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
winni for fun

Default Golden Retriever

My golden has been a boater since she was 9 weeks old. She loves the boat, and especially loves to swim. We had to buy a lifejacket for her because on several occasions she wanted to chase down birds swimming near the boat, although she has never made it out of the boat. Any of the retrievers would be great just as long as you don't mind having to deal with shedding. Good luck with looking for a new pup, and sorry to hear about your greyhound.
winni for fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #10
jrc

Consider size, it's hard to haul a large wet dog back in the boat. I taught my 60 lbs shepard, lab, whatever mix to use the ladder to exit our in-ground pool. Before that he was a bear to get out of the pool, especially because he would always jump back in.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:51 PM   #11
XCR-700

Sorry for your loss, family pets are family and the loss is never easy.

As for moving on, I respectfully suggest small breeds, easy to manage, easy to afford (they eat a whole lot less!) and many love water and boating!

XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Chillin & Grillin

Our Cocker loves the boat!
Attached Images

Chillin & Grillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Adorable! Is that an English Cocker?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
Dhuberty24

Our boxer loves swimming and boating.
Attached Images

Dhuberty24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:21 PM   #15
OurShangrila

Default Size Matters

Our 6 month old, 35 lb. Goldendoodle is a perfect fit for our 18' Angler. He loves riding in it and loves going in the water as well. He isn't too heavy to lift into and out of the water with his life vest. There's a great little "handle" on the back.
OurShangrila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
pwdcrownies

Talking PWD's r the best

We have 2 Portuguese water dogs & they are the best! No shedding....again, no shedding!!

They are about 44 lbs & their middle name says it all.

You can see us cruzing around the lake with them perched off the bow. They are our little Democrats.
pwdcrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #17
eillac@dow

OurShangrlia.....can I just say....what a Cutie! He is adorable.

Welcome to the Forum!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
OurShangrila (02-20-2011)
Old 07-14-2010, 01:33 PM   #18
jkjoshuatree

Talking I Have 2 Golden Retrievers...

...and they live in the water. Having a house on the lake, I wouldn't get a dog that didn't like the water. We were meant for each other.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I have had many dogs of many breeds never one that I would say didn't like the water and boats.... Sure there are some that are more into then others but usually as long as they are with there owners most dogs are happy on board a boat, and by the water.

Now as for swimming, not all dogs enjoy swimming as mentioned Husky's, Malamutes, and sled dogs in particular don't always like getting wet, you will also find this true of many smaller dogs... Retriever, Setters, Spaniels etc. are bread for this activity... and if you want a big old slobbering dog Newfoundlands are the best water dogs from what I here, they where actually bread as water rescue dogs.

AS for boats, its a mater of getting the dogs used to the boat.. some dogs want to ride with their noses in the air, some just want to lay at your feet, they are all different. Once again as long as they are with you they are fine.

Now some further notes, as some of my neighbors have found out there are some breeds that may like boats and may enjoy the water, but it might not like them....For instance, corgi don't really seem to be able to swim in the water, they don't sink, but they don't really move either. If they fall in Plan to go after them.... The legs are just to short.... Basset hounds... are interesting too... they sink... yep right to the bottom... saw this happen with two different basset hounds..... the worst part was one of them just kept walking deeper... Anyways once again be ready to jump in after them...

Finally, spend time with your dog getting them used to the water. Yes most of them can intuitively swim. But some swim better then others... Some will only go in on request, while others, will be wet when ever they can reach the lake. The bottom line, Know your pet...

Oh ya by the way.... just picked up a Springer Spaniel... my second one... Hopefully this one, will learn to jump off the dock....
Old 07-14-2010, 04:43 PM   #20
Island Life

My cousin has a greyhound and she does not like to be in the boat or go in the water. Needs to be led in once in a while on a hot day.

When I can't find my black lab, the first place we look is the boat. Sure enough, he's usually sitting in there waiting to go for a ride.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:36 PM   #21
dogma

Default Water dogs

When you are thinking about a dog, consider the breed. If you want a boat dog, you should think about a water dog.. labs are great. They love the water, are loyal and obedient (mostly) so less likely to launch out of the boat to chase something.. had friends with a dalmation who LOVED the boat..lean dog and nimble..not as bottom-heavy as labs might get .
dogma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #22
gravy boat

Default Dogs that sink

We rescued two Old English Sheepdogs. While they have the instinct to swim, they prefer to have both feet firmly planted, preferably on a gently-sloping beach where they wade like a Miami-Beach retiree.

We put life jackets on them while in the boat given their lack of swimming skills. But they love the boat rides!
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote