Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Pineedles

Default Amazing Voyage

I qualify this story as not happening in the LR, but since both my yellow labs are part of "Dogs on Winnipesaukee" I think Don will let me keep it up, and hopefully others may add their own Winnipesaukee pet's amazing voyages.

About 3PM my cell phone rang as I was sitting in the waiting area of MIA for my flight back to Connecticut. It was my wife telling me that our 2 labs had gone through the invisible fence and had been missing for nearly an hour. Just a word to the wise here, leave their signal collars on; the fence doesn't do much good if the collars aren't on. She'd searched the typical places they usually go and still no dogs! Panic was starting to set in. Now what I was supposed to do nearly 1200 miles away in Miami wasn't clear to me, but I tried to reassure her that they were smart dogs and they would be home soon.

About an hour later she called to tell me the dogs were home but they didn't come home by themselves. It seems that the police had called my home and told my wife that the dogs were at the hospital, not the Vet hospital, the local people hospital about 1/2 mile away. It seems that Sam and Reilly decided that since I hadn't been home for the past 3 days they would go looking for me, at least this is what I told myself as they are very smart dogs; and if "Dad" was missing, then what better place to go then the hospital first. This pair walked the 1/2 mile crossing several main roads through the parking lot and right up to the double automatic main door of the hospital and proceeded right up to the front desk where they greeted the receptionists with their typical wagging tails and slobbery kisses.

The police were called who corralled the two with a baby gate behind the reception desk and lots of dog biscuits, to keep them occupied. My wife arrived to see this scene of many employees, patients, and 2 policemen all crowded around the makeshift "zoo" to see the attraction.

In the future, if they ever escape again, I certainly will know where to check first. The place that's warm, has lots of people, and lots of dog biscuits.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
DRH (03-02-2010), Resident 2B (03-01-2010), SteveA (03-07-2010)
Old 03-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

That is too funny. I loved your story!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
eillac@dow

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Just a word to the wise here, leave their signal collars on; the fence doesn't do much good if the collars aren't on.
And if their collars are on.....make sure the batteries are not dead! (as was the case for me)

My "monster" one Sunday morning decided to bolt into the woods. Of course, I go running after him. I can see him running and running and just having a grand ole time! He pays no attention to me calling after him. Finally I lose sight of him. After a while I head home and sure enough, he eventually comes back.

When he returned, he was filthy and soaking wet and had to endure a bath by the hose! The unfortunate part was after the bath, I noticed he had cut his paw. So off to the vet for an emergency visit. Now if he was clever like Pineedle's labs, he could have taken himself to the hospital!

I do have to say, he had a ball running through the woods!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:53 PM   #4
Island Life

Since we're sharing, my two labs escaped a few years ago. I had a toddler at the time and didn't notice they were gone until a man in a pick-up pulled in to my driveway. He told me he had my dogs and had tried to call me but I hadn't answered the phone. Strangely, he didn't have the dogs with him, I had to follow him in my car. Hmmm.... Why? Turns out, he worked for the DPW and when using some heavy equipment near the waste treatment facility he'd left the gate open. My labs, smelling something (cough, cough) "yummy," wandered in. they couldn't resist the temptation and jumped into a giant pool of warm, swirling ... well, you know. There were rollers on each side and the dogs couldn't get out of the pool. Thank goodness this man saw them and pulled them from the pool. No wonder he didn't throw them in the back of his truck. The ride home was disgusting and the poor dogs (and I) endured several mid-winter hose baths before they were clean enough to go to the groomer. [Oh, they were winni dogs too, so hopefully my story can stay.]
Old 03-02-2010, 03:26 AM   #5
ApS

Talking Sit! Stay!

This one goes 'way back, but I'm reminded of a report that has got to be true.

The owner took his two Shepherds in the back of his pickup truck for a ride to the hardware store. Upon arrival, they were told emphatically to "stay". They wagged their comprehension.

Deep inside the hardware store, the owner was distressed to hear a woman's voice say, "There's two dogs running loose in the store next door".

Concerned, the owner called the dogs' names, quickly cashed-out and checked his truck. Both were still sitting—quite happy to see their owner and were wagging their tails. Unhappily, they were sitting in the wrong truck!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
Lucky1

Glad you got your two labs back. Some people are not so lucky (my name here is Lucky1 so I am a lucky person too.) Are you the family that divides your cottage so the different family members all get two weeks? Do you stay longer elsewhere or ? I can see that you love our wonderful lake and certainly your family has been here FOREVER!!
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #7
chipj29

That is a great story! It is a terrible feeling when the dogs go missing. At least they are smart enough to know where to go!

We also have the invisible fence. When our oldest dalmatian Carrie was younger, we were dog-sitting another Dal. Well that Dal didn't know what the fence was all about, so he blew right through it. Of course Carrie followed him.

That was the winter of 02-03, we had a ton of snow (it was at least waist deep at the time). Knowing that the direction they went through the woods was I-93, I had to go look for them. I was trudging through that deep snow following their foot prints, swearing every step of the way. I was alternating between walking on top of the iced-over snow pack and stepping through it, so even though it was cold, I was sweating like a pig. I had to have been out there for a half hour in that mess. I found them waiting for me...on the nice packed down snowmobile trail just a few hundred feet from the house. Boy was I mad, and they sure knew it!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #8
WinnDixie

Default Love the story!

Great story, Pineedles, and so thankful those dogs got across those main roads! It is a terrible feeling when your dog is lost...or "lost"...a couple months ago we both could hear our Molly barking, distantly..like outside! She never goes out for more than a minute, so we were panicked very quickly. Around and around the outside I ran, calling and calling. No sign of her. Oddly you could hear her faintly barking (but only occasionally) inside better than outside. Finally my husband located her...shut in one of our bathrooms! Panic is not pretty...all your common sense takes leave of you!
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #9
jr616

Hopefully the powers that be along with you dog lovers will endure a feline based tale of woe.

Simon, our orange tiger DSH (domestic short hair), find his way to "sneak" out of the house. I say sneak b/c my husband has a tendency to forgetfully leave our basement door to the garage open.

It is 2 days until Christmas, 15 degrees, snowing with wind gusts to 30. I spend the next 36 hours calling him, leaving food by the door, walking the woods, leaving the garage door cracked open all night.

Now, having been a cat owner my entire life I know cats will come home I also know I live in the woods and can hear coyotes in my back yard howling after the "catch" their dinner.

At 1:30am the second night I am about to go up to bed and decide to check the garage one more time - sure enough there is our Simon munching down on the treats I left out for him. I slam the garage door shut and wrangle him into the house. Where I find he is not particularly cold but smells very much like the engine compartment of our BOAT - where he had surely been the entire time!

While we do not take the cats to the lake with us in the summer I feel Simon is officially a Winni - Cat!
jr616 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jr616 For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (03-04-2010), SteveA (03-07-2010)
Old 03-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
eillac@dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr616 View Post

While we do not take the cats to the lake with us in the summer I feel Simon is officially a Winni - Cat!

As do I!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Glad you got your two labs back. Some people are not so lucky (my name here is Lucky1 so I am a lucky person too.) Are you the family that divides your cottage so the different family members all get two weeks? Do you stay longer elsewhere or ? I can see that you love our wonderful lake and certainly your family has been here FOREVER!!
Probably even longer than forever, Lucky. I imagine there are many, many families that divide their cottages up and everyone gets a week or two. Some of my family members do that but I've been fortunate enough for the last several years to have a place for the entire summer. The Lake is my favorite place in the world, as I bet it is for most people who spend time there.
Old 03-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
Meredith lady

Default great story Pineneedles!

Glad the "babies" are home safe and sound!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote