Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
JonLevis

Default Dog Parks

Are there any Dog Parks near Gilford/Laconia? My dog is fine on the boat all day, but he needs to get out and play once in a while (as much as a Basset Hound would need too anyway!).

What about Doggy Day Care?

GO SOX!!!
JonLevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Prophet

Default Two suggestions:

Litterhof Kennel is located right in Gilford on Longridge Drive. They offer doggie daycare and have been doing this for years and years. Very dog savvy owners! Tel # is 524-7887. Brookwood Pet Resort is located just off exit 17 (I93) and is about ½ hour away but is much larger place and has much bigger daycare program. I should disclose I'm one of the owners but our customers seem extremely satisfied. Tel # 783-4040. Website is http://www.brookwoodpetresort.com .
Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
LakesRegionSpirit

Marylee Gorham of the Laconia Humane Society wrote a column about this in our spring issue. According to her, dog parks exist in Portsmouth, Nashua, Derry and Rochester. None of these, obviously, are close to the Lakes.
There is an organization hoping to get approval for a local park. See http://www.happytailsdogparknh.org for info.
www.LakesRegionSpirit.com
LakesRegionSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
dpg

With all the open space in the lakes region you should be able to find someplace to let your dog run. Any school after hours, woods suitable for walking, etc. As long as you pick up after yourself (well your dog ) I really doubt you'll have any trouble with anyone. I hang out around Moultonborough when I'm up there and I have unlimited space and places to take my dog if I want too. Be creative you probably drive by many good doggie places and have never even considered them.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Argie's Wife

Unhappy Not true with all schools...

You can't take your dog on the atheltic fields at Alton's high school (PMHS) now because people haven't been picking up after their dogs. The school board announced at their meeting in June that they're going to hang up signs on the fields saying "no dogs allowed". I got up during public input and offered to organize a "dog lovers" group that could help with the problem if we could use the fields again - it was a no-go. I can't say I blame the Board for their decision - the problem has been pretty bad from what I understand.

There's other land on the school's property that you can still go, but of course the athletic fields were awesome and enclosed (great for off-leash training!)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
magicrobotmonkey

Default ahern

I take my dog to Ahern state park several times a week. It's a wonderful big piece of woodland on Lake Winnipsquam in Laconia (behind the state prison). During the week the only people I see are the other regulars with their dogs. Its something of an unofficial dog park. I feel ok leaving yeti off leash there as pretty much everyone I meet also have their dog(s) off leash. There's a lot of trails out through the woods, 2 beaches and some nice rocky shorelines for the dogs to play.
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to magicrobotmonkey For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (07-10-2009)
Old 07-10-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

Welcome aboard magicrobotmonkey!

Yeti? Your dog's name is "Yeti"?

Lemme guess.... Is Yeti a Newfie?

Love it!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
winnipugs

Thumbs up dog park

there is a new thing going on called doggie days , its at the "nick" park in wolfeboro , every saturday morning 8 to 9 am. the dogs have free play time, there is a groomer there from everything n tails, a trainer from assertive k9 training, and a specialty food store owner there. its great , and the dogs love it
winnipugs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winnipugs For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (07-16-2009)
Old 07-16-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
magicrobotmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Welcome aboard magicrobotmonkey!

Yeti? Your dog's name is "Yeti"?

Lemme guess.... Is Yeti a Newfie?

Love it!
Nah, he's a pitbull/mastiff mix. But he has really big feet...
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
Lisa Clutters

Default Happy Tails Dog Park Of Belmont, NH

For anyone interested in learning about the creation of a dog park in the Lakes Region: www.happytailsdogparknh.org
Lisa Clutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #11
Pineedles

Default Dog parks

I can't tell you how much our 2 yellow labs love going to our municiple dog park here in CT. They are off the wall about it to the point where my wife and I don't dare say PARK around them, and have to code it with words like "doggy entertainment area". Even saying the letter P gets them into a frenzy.

There are no fights as agressive dogs are not allowed in the park. We have never had any instances of any diseases or tiny critters being passed from other dogs. I would highly recommend getting involved with this project.

After a visit to the park our labs are plum tuckered out for the rest of the day. There is no way we could walk them enough to get the same level of exercize, both physical and mental.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Lisa Clutters (09-18-2009)