Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
jniff101

Default Bit by a dog at hannaford in Meredith!

Hi all,
So I wanted to tell you all my experience at the Meredith Hannaford the other day. My friend and I drove in with our 2 young children when we noticed 5 little brown dogs running loose in the corner of the parking lot. They were obviously going to get hit or cause problems so I decided to get out while my friend parked and try and guide the dogs out of the way. That's when I noticed the Toyota camry hatchback at the side of the building with its driver’s side door wide open. Well the women was sitting in her car looking down and completely ignoring the fact that her dogs were running loose. So I tried to guide them out of the way when 1 of the dogs bit me twice! Enough to break skin and bruise but not draw blood. So I decided to leave. I went back to my friends car to get my daughter I saw the women coming around to the front of the building. So I decided to confront her to let her know what happened.
Well after trying to get her attention, very politely, from about 1 foot away "excuse me mamme, excuse me mamme...are those your dogs?" she completely ignored me and kept walking as if I wasn't even there! So I told the women at the customer service desk and she encouraged me to call the police since they rent the building and couldn’t do anything. So I did. When the police arrived and I was telling him what happened the women came back outside with her groceries. She got very angry and couldn't believe that the police were called. Did I do the right thing? I think so!!!
I felt that it was the right thing to do because it very well could have been a child that got bit if they were too close...or even worse, their face. Come to find out by one of the employees that this is not the first time she has caused a disturbance with her dogs letting them run loose and he said that something needs to be done.
Then I told my friends and one of them said that the same lady was at heaths and it happened there too! I didn't know if anyone else has seen this women and if not...don't go near the dogs!
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Argie's Wife

From what you've shared here, you did the right thing.

NH has lots of freedoms, but there's still a Leash Law in NH, and as much as some people like to think it's nasty or not their business, there's also a law that says you must pick up after your pooch when he poo's.

Allowing dogs to run free, like you described here, is dangerous for the dogs and people. Period.

What if a child is bitten? Or what if you became sick from the dog bite? What if one of the dogs was hit by a car?

No, I think you did the right thing. Absolutely.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
donnamatrix

Default Rude dog owner!

I believe there is a leash law in Meredith... so nobody's dog should be out running around. At any rate, I hope you got the particulars (name, license #, etc) of the rude dog owner... because you should sue her! Can she prove her dogs are up to date on rabies vaccinations? I have a friend whose dog bit a person familiar to the dog, not a stranger ... not in Meredith, but Moultonboro. The fellow had a more significant bite, because it did draw blood. He had to go to ER, get shots, the bite got infected anyway, etc etc. My friends paid for all expenses, but they are extremely lucky the bitten fellow didn't sue them. The dog must now and forever wear a muzzle that allows dog to drink water, but cannot bite-even when dog is on home property (which is where incident occurred originally). I would freak if a dog bit me or a child!!! Totally unacceptable behavior.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #4
Natt

I think we has an experience with this woman too. A weird person who thinks her dogs come before anyone else's interests or property. Glad you called for the police. Natt's wife
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
RailroadJoe

I can't understand why the police did not give her a citation. Too many people take their dogs to stores and leave them in the car. They scare the devil out of me when I walk by their car and they slam againt an open window.

I love dogs, but never took one with me when I went shopping.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
jniff101

Natts wife...Weird would absolutely be one of the words I would use to describe her. Everytime I tell this story someone else says they have seen her and have a similar story.
I was just beside myself that she walked right by me as I confronted her..That is what put me over the edge.
I'm not sure what the cop did after I left. He gave me the option of going to the station and doing all that stuff or he would make her aware of the fines involved, so on so forth. I went with that option. But when I did pull out of the parking lot about 5 minutes later the cop was still there talking to her with her drivers side door open. So I’m guessing he was taking a look at the dogs as well and hopefully checking their rabies tags?
My biggest issue is that I do have 2 very small children (age 4 and 2) and 99% of the time I shop with them by myself so if we happened to walk near these dogs my child would have been bitten for sure!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
PennyPenny

I do not know the laws in NH pertaining to dog bites, but I have always been under the assumption to believe that the owner is responsible for the dog and its actions. It doesn't matter if it was on a leash or not. If it isn't upto date on its shots, is a whole different ball game for the owner.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Rockdaddy

I think I ran in to the same lady at the Shaws in Gilford. Little brown dogs running wild in the parking lot.
Rockdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #9
beagle

Default quarrantine?

Sorry to hear of that experience. My husband was bitten once while running here in CT and the dog had to be quarantined for more than a week to make sure it didn't have rabies. I am pretty sure it was vaccinated, but that was the law. I am a dog lover too, but I hate it when other people allow their dogs to run unleashed to jump, trip or bite you! Unfortunately CT does not have a leash law, arrgh!
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
donnamatrix

Default What type of car and dogs?

I would dearly love to know what type/color car the dog owner drives, and what type of dogs... the better to avoid her.
Are they all brown? Maybe Dachsunds? Are they brown/white? Maybe Jack Russell terriers? My sister used to have two Dachsund mix breeds, and they were always yapping and jumping all over me. Now, my daughter has two Boston terriers. AARRGGHH. They are the most ill mannered little beasts. I never wear nice clothing to their house, because the darn dogs' claws have ripped my trousers...
Old 03-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Coolbreeze

shik-shik....kaboooom! no more problem.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 PM   #12
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
shik-shik....kaboooom! no more problem.
Wait... The dogs or... Just kidding.

Seriously though I feel like the old adage applies here:

There is no such thing as bad dogs/children, just bad owners/parents.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (03-22-2011), Belmont Resident (04-26-2011), Dog's Ear (03-23-2011), jkjoshuatree (03-23-2011), Lucky1 (03-28-2011), Pepper (03-23-2011)
Old 03-22-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
garysanfran

Default Worst dog owners ever...

Even in the peaceful, non-urban surrounds of The Lakes Region, my current opinion of irresponsible dog owners is defined by the Dianne Whipple case in San Francisco. Google it! and see how true evil can be manifest through an animal.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
Coolbreeze

okay, chamber another round,

shik-shik....kaboom!!! no more problem.
repeat as needed.

Why should society be tormented by lousy pet owners. You can't cure stupid...you just breed it.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #15
AC2717

while this might be a little topic, what is up with people being all of a sudden allowed to bring pets into stores. It is everywhere and all types of stores

It drives me nuts, and I am a pet lover

i think you did the right thing as well considering you tried to speak to her first.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:33 AM   #16
RailroadJoe

A women dies from dogs and the owner gets out of jail in four years. Pays to be an attorney in California and know the court system.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #17
jrc

Jniff, did the dog bite really break the skin, did the dog's saliva touch your blood? Is there any chance you where exposed to rabies?

If not treated in the first few days, rabies is 100% deadly. If your skin was broken and you could see you own blood, you have risk. I would see a doctor today. It's your life, and once you have symptoms it's may be too late.

I don't want to be an alarmist but you absolutely need to call the Meredith police today and find out the women's name. You have find out if the dogs have current rabies vacinations. You need to see this for yourself.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
donnamatrix (03-23-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 AM   #18
crowsnest

I would have bitten the dog back
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:15 AM   #19
jniff101

Default Well let’s see if I can remember all the questions....

The dogs were all golden brown about 15-20lbs each (ankle biters) literally...most of them had short-med. length straight fur but the one that bit me was female, because the owner referred to her as that, and was very short tight curly hair. I have an English bulldog so I'm not too familiar with little dog breeds. I guess I should have had him with me..he would have had a lovely snack The women was in her 60s I'd say with shoulder length hair white/blond with the reddest cheeks I've ever seen. She was driving a beige Toyota camry le hatchback. License plate # 291 3239
The bite marks never drew blood. Looked more like if you scuff you shin and your skin peels and bruises...It happened on Saturday so if I was infected with anything I would already know it...I hope?
Old 03-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
garysanfran

Default The prosecuting Attorney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
A women dies from dogs and the owner gets out of jail in four years. Pays to be an attorney in California and know the court system.

Was Kimberly Guillyfoyle who went on to become a talking head on FOX. She may be the only female on FOX who is not blonde.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #21
RailroadJoe

I believe it is the same Kimberly. You can check her bio on google.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #22
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Too bad you didn't have a roll of duct tape with you. I would have wrapped that muzzle with a whole roll......and then stuck it to a wall somewhere.
Good thing that wasn't me. I don';t think I would have been so patient. I would have had the cops on the phone ASAP, and have them collect the dogs, until she could show her vaccination/license papers for each dog.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #23
no-engine

You need to get back to Police.
To be told by employee we rent, is true but certainly they have a great deal of involvement in the parking lot. Their shopping cart corals are in parking lot.
If employee was the manager, I think an inexcusable response.
Any market should have concern for customer's well being.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #24
Island Girl

Default No.. You would not know

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff101 View Post
Looked more like if you scuff you shin and your skin peels and bruises...It happened on Saturday so if I was infected with anything I would already know it...I hope?
Being infected with rabies is not like a little infection from a cut. It is deadly. Once you have symptoms, you will not survive. It is my understanding that you have a few days to get the shots, and that will prevent you from getting rabies. This is not a wait and see what happens kind of thing. You need to see if the dog had it shots or just go and get the shots for yourself to be sure.

If your skin looked scuffed then the skin was probably broken... And yes... I do mean to scare you.

IG

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Island Girl For This Useful Post:
donnamatrix (03-24-2011)
Old 03-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #25
GM doc

Default dog bite's me...

I too am a dog owner and You did the right thing. If it were me, I would have put that dog down in the parking lot PERIOD!!!!

My dog roams free on MY LAND, But is on a leash anywhere I take her. As some else said. Ya can't fix STUPID!
GM doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 AM   #26
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
... I do mean to scare you.

IG
I have read that your chances of avoiding a rabies infection is greatly increased if you wash with soap and water immediately. But... This is no substitute for prompt medical attention which would include getting the dogs vaccination history.

There is a new shot you can be given that is less painful and has fewer side-effects than the traditional treatment but there may be a window of opportunity for it. Call your doctor and get a copy of the police report. Find out if ALL those dogs had shots in case you ID'd the wrong one.

The good news is that rabies in domestic dogs is almost unheard of now. But my advice is to not play the odds in this.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 AM   #27
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

A couple of years ago I had the rabies shots. It is true, they are not painful like they used to be and they are not in the stomach as I heard they used to be. I had a series of 4 all at once and then 3 every week I think it was. It used to be for 4 weeks as I remember. I had the first shots in Maine and it cost almost ten thousand dollars. The others were only about 300 each as I recall. Even though my insurance said they covered rabies shots they gave me a hard time. They covered all but about 1200$.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:57 AM   #28
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
while this might be a little topic, what is up with people being all of a sudden allowed to bring pets into stores. It is everywhere and all types of stores

It drives me nuts, and I am a pet lover.
You may have seen my wife and daughter with a yellow lab in some of the stores around the lake. We're raising a Guiding Eyes puppy and she doesn't yet have a vest to prove it. Since she's not yet a service dog the store owners don't technically have to allow her in but most have no problem with it when we ask.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #29
donnamatrix

Default Wow-expensive shots!

Wow. $10K for rabies shots??? I am thunderstruck by the cost... but really, please, take this to the next step-get police report, etc., it's been like a week already ... and yes, we DO mean to be alarmist.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #30
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
Wow. $10K for rabies shots??? I am thunderstruck by the cost... but really, please, take this to the next step-get police report, etc., it's been like a week already ... and yes, we DO mean to be alarmist.
I was thunderstruck too! I had it in So. Maine Med. Center because Huggins didn't have enough. But I know someone else who had their first series at Huggins and it was almost half the price. I never could figure out why. I had the last shots at Huggins.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:59 AM   #31
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
You may have seen my wife and daughter with a yellow lab in some of the stores around the lake. We're raising a Guiding Eyes puppy and she doesn't yet have a vest to prove it. Since she's not yet a service dog the store owners don't technically have to allow her in but most have no problem with it when we ask.
I've seen dogs that certainly aren't guide dogs - like little teacup poodles and Yorkshire terriers - "accessory dogs" - in drug stores, grocery stores, malls - you-name-it, and I find it very inappropriate. People assume that because the dog isn't walking on the floor of the building that it's okay to bring them in stores and around the public - I say "no means NO"....

It's one thing to bring your dog into a pet store or other building that okays them being there - as long as they're well-behaved and on a leash. I like taking my Tanker into PetCo and similar stores when we're out shopping because it gives him something to look forward to while we're out (like taking a kid into Toys'R'Us.) And it helps to keep him well-socialized in the winter when we can't walk as much.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:54 AM   #32
GTO

Default dogs in cars

Quote:
I can't understand why the police did not give her a citation. Too many people take their dogs to stores and leave them in the car. They scare the devil out of me when I walk by their car and they slam againt an open window.

I love dogs, but never took one with me when I went shopping.
I was at the Tanger outlets last year and I saw the police come in and were talking to a couple of people. Turns out, this couple was walking between two parked cars and there were two dogs inside one of them, good sized dogs, (of course, no owners around...off shopping), one of the dogs reached out and bit one of those people. Not sure what the outcome of that whole thing was.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #33
SIKSUKR

This is taken from the website linked below.

Although dog bites are a common cause of rabies in developing countries, there have been no reports of rabies caused by dog bites in the United States for a number of years due to widespread animal vaccination.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002310/
Old 03-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #34
PapaDon

Default That's good to know, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
This is taken from the website linked below.

Although dog bites are a common cause of rabies in developing countries, there have been no reports of rabies caused by dog bites in the United States for a number of years due to widespread animal vaccination.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002310/
That's good to know, but I'd still like to be sure a dog that bit me was up-to-date on rabies vaccination. I've had 3 dog bites in my life and all drew blood, but all the dogs were OK with their vaccinations.
PapaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #35
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default And for a brief humor break...

You could always call the police...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFJXe...layer_embedded
Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #36
jniff101

Default update

The officer finally got back to me yesterday. Very nice man btw. He said that he didn't realize that the dog had broken skin otherwise he would have done a deeper investigation. I did tell him but I was rudely cut off by this women when she came around the corner. He told me that he did have a long conversation with the women and she tried to lead the conversation the whole time, but he made it clear that that was not going to happen. He notified the police in the town that she is from (Moultonboro Neck rd) Same rd. that I live on eek! The police knew exactly who she was as soon as he said her name. They were not up to date on their shots come to find out but they have had their rabies shots in the past. The women said she was in the middle of getting an appointment for them (yea right). I will be contacting the Moultonboro Police this week.

On another note...A friend of mine works at the pet store in Center Harbor and said that they had a run in with this women as well. I'll try and make the story quick...She went in to buy a parrot and they put it in a box with holes. About an hour later she came back asking if they had insurance for the bird or if they had a return policy. Confused the employee asked why. Well the intelligent women decided to do some shopping at heaths after purchasing the bird. So what did she do? Well she left the bird in her car with her 5 nasty dogs. When she returned to her car, yup you guessed it, the bird was ripped to shreds!!!! The women demanded a new bird for free! What a nut job.

Back to the subject. I did go to my doctor and she gave me tetanus(sp) shot and said that with the time that has past and since I didn't bleed, and other reasons that I can't remember the rabies shot would not be necessary. I hope she's right. Thank you everyone for your concern.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #37
Pepper

Angry What?????????

Quote:
{snip...} Well she left the bird in her car with her 5 nasty dogs. When she returned to her car, yup you guessed it, the bird was ripped to shreds!!!! {snip...}
I am absolutely horrified after reading this! Did the pet shop report this incident to the Police? This behavior most certainly qualifies as animal cruelty, and as such, should have been prosecuted. What is described is disgraceful and sickening behavior! I am very interested in knowing if this was reported to the authorities.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #38
Mink Islander

Default Reminds me of a Monty Python Skit....

Dead Parrot Sketch

The cast:

MR. PRALINE
John Cleese
SHOP OWNER
Michael Palin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sketch:

A customer enters a pet shop.

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, I wish to register a complaint.

(The owner does not respond.)

Mr. Praline: 'Ello, Miss?

Owner: What do you mean "miss"?

Mr. Praline: I'm sorry, I have a cold. I wish to make a complaint!

Owner: We're closin' for lunch.

Mr. Praline: Never mind that, my lad. I wish to complain about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique.

Owner: Oh yes, the, uh, the Norwegian Blue...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?

Mr. Praline: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. 'E's dead, that's what's wrong with it!

Owner: No, no, 'e's uh,...he's resting.

Mr. Praline: Look, matey, I know a dead parrot when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.

Owner: No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable bird, the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage!

Mr. Praline: The plumage don't enter into it. It's stone dead.

Owner: Nononono, no, no! 'E's resting!

Mr. Praline: All right then, if he's restin', I'll wake him up! (shouting at the cage) 'Ello, Mister Polly Parrot! I've got a lovely fresh cuttle fish for you if you
show...

(owner hits the cage)

Owner: There, he moved!

Mr. Praline: No, he didn't, that was you hitting the cage!

Owner: I never!!

Mr. Praline: Yes, you did!

Owner: I never, never did anything...

Mr. Praline: (yelling and hitting the cage repeatedly) 'ELLO POLLY!!!!! Testing! Testing! Testing! Testing! This is your nine o'clock alarm call!

(Takes parrot out of the cage and thumps its head on the counter. Throws it up in the air and watches it plummet to the floor.)

Mr. Praline: Now that's what I call a dead parrot.

Owner: No, no.....No, 'e's stunned!

Mr. Praline: STUNNED?!?

Owner: Yeah! You stunned him, just as he was wakin' up! Norwegian Blues stun easily, major.

Mr. Praline: Um...now look...now look, mate, I've definitely 'ad enough of this. That parrot is definitely deceased, and when I purchased it not 'alf an hour
ago, you assured me that its total lack of movement was due to it bein' tired and shagged out following a prolonged squawk.

Owner: Well, he's...he's, ah...probably pining for the fjords.

Mr. Praline: PININ' for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that?, look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got 'im home?

Owner: The Norwegian Blue prefers keepin' on it's back! Remarkable bird, id'nit, squire? Lovely plumage!

Mr. Praline: Look, I took the liberty of examining that parrot when I got it home, and I discovered the only reason that it had been sitting on its perch in the
first place was that it had been NAILED there.

(pause)

Owner: Well, o'course it was nailed there! If I hadn't nailed that bird down, it would have nuzzled up to those bars, bent 'em apart with its beak, and
VOOM! Feeweeweewee!

Mr. Praline: "VOOM"?!? Mate, this bird wouldn't "voom" if you put four million volts through it! 'E's bleedin' demised!

Owner: No no! 'E's pining!

Mr. Praline: 'E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the
bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

(pause)

Owner: Well, I'd better replace it, then. (he takes a quick peek behind the counter) Sorry squire, I've had a look 'round the back of the shop, and uh,
we're right out of parrots.

Mr. Praline: I see. I see, I get the picture.

Owner: I got a slug.

(pause)

Mr. Praline: Pray, does it talk?

Owner: Nnnnot really.

Mr. Praline: WELL IT'S HARDLY A BLOODY REPLACEMENT, IS IT?!!???!!?

Owner: N-no, I guess not. (gets ashamed, looks at his feet)

Mr. Praline: Well.

(pause)

Owner: (quietly) D'you.... d'you want to come back to my place?

Mr. Praline: (looks around) Yeah, all right, sure.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #39
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Off Topic.... but I couln't resist. Alway one of my favorite MP Skits.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #40
NickNH

I'm sorry, I'm a HUGE Monty Python fan too but this thread is not a place to post these.

The terror that poor bird had to go through while it was being ripped apart is haunting. Yes, I own parrots and they are beautiful, intelligent creatures.

This woman should have been arrested for animal cruelty when she "returned" the parrot.
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NickNH For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (03-30-2011), Jmo77011 (03-29-2011), Pepper (03-28-2011), SteveA (03-28-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #41
Mink Islander

Default Oh please....

This thread is hilarious at so many levels. How many posts suggesting they'd shoot the dogs (or was it the lady -- or both!). So hard to tell. But adding the parrot to the story-line really was right out of a Monty Python skit.

Don't get me wrong. I love pets. I have several in fact.

No intent to offend. But this was funny. If it bothers you, runaway runaway!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (03-29-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #42
Natt

You are off base mink islander. That was terrible for that nice bird...I remember it from the pet store. And I agree, she should be prosecuted for animal cruelty (for the parrot). It is not the dogs fault, it is the owner. Beware if you live near Long Point Road, this is a big problem waiting to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Natt For This Useful Post:
NickNH (03-28-2011)
Old 03-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #43
Natt

And those are not the only dogs she has, she raises those dogs for sale. I don't know if she has a kennel there or what.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:47 AM   #44
donnamatrix

Default Funny

I am a Monty Pythong nut. Have everything on CD/DVD... I even have a book containing all the scripts from Fawlty Towers.... or was it Flowery Twats.... or was it ...
Old 03-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #45
Mink Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natt View Post
You are off base mink islander. That was terrible for that nice bird...I remember it from the pet store. And I agree, she should be prosecuted for animal cruelty (for the parrot). It is not the dogs fault, it is the owner. Beware if you live near Long Point Road, this is a big problem waiting to happen.

I say Burn the Witch!

So "a friend of mine told me..." is all we need to hear to believe that our most recent dog wacko bought a bird, put it in her car with her 5 little Cujos and left it there unsupervised to suffer a horrible fate. But more, we are told that she then returned to the pet store and demanded a refund? Does this strike anyone else as "urban legend' worthy material? I mean seriously!

Last edited by Mink Islander; 03-29-2011 at 09:00 AM. Reason: hit return by accident. adding more...
The Following User Says Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (03-29-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #46
jniff101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
I say Burn the Witch!

Does this strike anyone else as "urban legend' worthy material? I mean seriously!
I ask you Mink...what personal gain do I have to make up stories like this? I'll tell you, none. Yes it sounds ridiculous and crazy but that's because no one in their right mind would do something like this. The women is a nut job and needs to be held accountable for her actions.
The Following User Says Thank You to jniff101 For This Useful Post:
NickNH (03-30-2011)
Old 03-30-2011, 08:28 AM   #47
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
I say Burn the Witch!

So "a friend of mine told me..." is all we need to hear to believe that our most recent dog wacko bought a bird, put it in her car with her 5 little Cujos and left it there unsupervised to suffer a horrible fate. But more, we are told that she then returned to the pet store and demanded a refund? Does this strike anyone else as "urban legend' worthy material? I mean seriously!

"Well, she turned me into a newt!" "A newt?" "I got better"
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
SteveA (03-31-2011)
Old 03-31-2011, 10:35 AM   #48
Argie's Wife

Quote:
On another note...A friend of mine works at the pet store in Center Harbor and said that they had a run in with this women as well. I'll try and make the story quick...She went in to buy a parrot and they put it in a box with holes. About an hour later she came back asking if they had insurance for the bird or if they had a return policy. Confused the employee asked why. Well the intelligent women decided to do some shopping at heaths after purchasing the bird. So what did she do? Well she left the bird in her car with her 5 nasty dogs. When she returned to her car, yup you guessed it, the bird was ripped to shreds!!!! The women demanded a new bird for free! What a nut job.
I've heard the story before - I believe the dogs are rat terriers, if memory serves me, and this has been mentioned on the forum before...

This woman should be reported to the humane society, for starters. She obviously was negligent in her care of the bird and I have the impression she's an animal hoarder.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
NickNH (03-31-2011), SteveA (03-31-2011)
Old 04-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #49
gigglesmom

I actually have the "great pleasure" of living on Long Point Rd not too far from this psycho, and I see her every day up to 4 times a day running her dogs behind her car down the road! On one occasion I turned onto Kona Farm and almost hit them...they were everywhere all over both sides of the road. I did call the police dept. and was told by the officer that as long as she had her dogs under control there was nothing they could do about it under the "leash law". Well, I'm sorry but if your dogs are running all over the road while you are driving your car they are not on a leash (that's what I thought leash law meant) and they are NOT under your control! Hopefully someone will step in and help these poor little dogs that I see every day running as fast as they can down the road to keep up with her! We must speak for them as they cannot speak for themselves! As for the girl that was bit...I hope all is well with you. You did everything right it's the PD that needs to step up to the plate!
gigglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #50
donnamatrix

Default Bad woman with dogs

First, I was so horrified of the tale of this nasty woman buying a bird, and then putting the bird in a enclosed situation where her dogs tore it to shreds, i could barely speak. Weekend of April 9-I went and spoke to owner of pet store in CH, he verified that is what happened, and the woman came back into the pet store to demand he replace the slaughtered bird. He kicker out of the store, and hopefully she will not be allowed back. The folks in the liquor store don't have anythng good to say aboaut her either. The woman's real name is SHARRIE.... she has about wine, drunk some of it and returned it to the liquor store - expecting to be refunded. She must have a screw loose. However, the real bottom line here is that this woman is an abuser of animals who puts the public at risk. How can we band together to put a stop to her barbaric behavior? I will gladly lead the charge, just need direction and support her.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #51
jkjoshuatree

Default I'll Be Right Next To You!!!

Quote:
First, I was so horrified of the tale of this nasty woman buying a bird, and then putting the bird in a enclosed situation where her dogs tore it to shreds, i could barely speak. Weekend of April 9-I went and spoke to owner of pet store in CH, he verified that is what happened, and the woman came back into the pet store to demand he replace the slaughtered bird. He kicker out of the store, and hopefully she will not be allowed back. The folks in the liquor store don't have anythng good to say aboaut her either. The woman's real name is SHARRIE.... she has about wine, drunk some of it and returned it to the liquor store - expecting to be refunded. She must have a screw loose. However, the real bottom line here is that this woman is an abuser of animals who puts the public at risk. How can we band together to put a stop to her barbaric behavior? I will gladly lead the charge, just need direction and support her.
I think it's ridiculous that she continues to keep getting away with this behavior.

Let me know if/where/when the the charge begins and I'll be there!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:06 AM   #52
jniff101

Conveniently enough my sister is a para-legal and is very good at what she does. She is based in Kentucky right now but she has been in contact with authorities here. This is what we got in response…

I am forwarding this to both the Meredith Police Chief as they responded and also the Moultonborough Town Clerk/ and Police Chief as that is where she is living. I hope they are able to help with this matter. If you don’t hear from someone on this please let me know as I will try to follow up.

Kerri A Parker
Town Clerk-Deputy Tax Collector Meredith
41 Main Street
Meredith, NH 03253
603-677-4203
Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #53
DDBmom

Not only have I witnessed this woman "running" her dogs but I have almost hit them on numerous occasions. Today I saw her on Greene's Basin Rd. with these dogs chasing her car as she stopped at the end by Moultonboro Neck Rd. My question is what is going to happen when god forbid someone does hit one of her dogs and it is going to be the fault of the driver who hit the dog. These dogs are NOT under the leash law and she DOES NOT have control over these dogs at all. They are usually running all over Long Point Rd. and myself and another vehicle had to stop and wait at least 30 seconds the other day waiting for them to get in her car because they were all over the road. Not only am I concerned about the welfare of these dogs but the safety of the drivers in this town. When is something going to be done about this?? When someone has to swerve to miss the dogs and crashes into a tree? Lets get this woman to stop doing this to keep herself, her dogs and everyone else safe!!
DDBmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #54
RailroadJoe

Where are the police in this place? Don't they do anything about the lease law? Maybe its time for the state animal control department, or whatever they are, to be brought in.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #55
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Moultonborough Leash Law

Moultonborough has a leash law but there is some wiggle room regarding what the definition of control is.
Quote:
Section 1.1 This Ordinance may be referred to as the Moultonborough Leash Law.

Section 1.2 The purpose of this ordinance is to require that all dogs in the Town of Moultonborough be kept under the control of their owners at all times so that they will not injure persons, damage property or create a nuisance.

Section 1.3 The provisions of this ordinance which apply to the owners of the dog shall equally apply to any person having custody or possession of the dog.

Section 1.4 It shall be unlawful to permit any dog to run at large within the Town of Moultonborough. The owner or keeper of a dog shall keep the dog on a leash or under the control of the owner or keeper whenever the dog is not on the property of the owner or keeper.

Section 1.5 The term "under owner's control" shall mean that the dog is either:
a) on the property of the owner or keeper; or
b) the dog stays within a close proximity to its owner or keeper and responds promptly to verbal commands of the owner or keeper.

Section 1.6 For the purposes of this ordinance "close proximity" allows for the training of dogs and the use of dogs for purposes of hunting.

Section 1.7 Violation of any of the provisions of this ordinance shall be punishable by a fine of not less than twenty-five dollars ($25.00), and each day of violation shall constitute a separate offense.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #56
RailroadJoe

Looks like sections 1.2 and 1.4 are being violated. Creating a nuisance and also not on property of owner
Old 04-22-2011, 09:33 AM   #57
SIKSUKR

Sounds like much more of a nuisence than Ward Bird.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #58
isleofsand

Can a neighbor of this lady, or the person who started this thread, contact the ASPCA or the humane society with this issue?

Or let's gang up and bust those dogs free I fully believe that there are no "bad dogs", just bad, neglectful, irresponsible owners.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #59
Natt

Default Did call them

Talked to the humane society. As long as she is feeding them and providing them with shelter and water, there is nothing that can be done for the dogs. She is not "harming" them physically, though they probably need a doggie psychologist!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #60
tinkham masonry

Default hannaford dogs

we too have had a encounter with the same dogs. at the time the dogs were also running out in the parking lot when my girlfriend decided to talk to this woman. after confronting her about the dogs, we continued to do our shopping when the woman came in and found us in the store to continue to yell at US!!!!!!!!!!!!! saying that we were being rude and to mind our own bussiness.... i mean come on lady . she had me so floored and speachless. i have been waiting to see her again.
i do beleive you did the right thing, and i would have done the same thing. my girlfriend whom happens to be a dog grommer here in town were completly beside ourselfs...
good luck
tinkham masonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:32 PM   #61
songkrai

Obviously a dog bite is serious. As a delivery person I stopped counting the dog bites at one dozen. And that was early in my career.

A very large percentage of dog owners don't have a clue how to train a dog. From uncontrollable barking to dog fighting to actually biting strangers AND family members. I just have to laugh when I go shopping and park next to an expensive car or SUV with one or two dogs and the dogs are jumping, growling, scratching, drooling - uncontrolably. And, by the way, ruining the interior of that expansive car/SUV. Don't these people know that a dog can be trained not to do this?

And as far as I am concerned anyone with more then one dogs is nuts. Sorry to all you wonderful people who think that two dogs is twice as good as one dog. Or that the other dog needs a playmate. If the other dog needs a playmate, then YOU should be walking the dog more often and spending more quality time with the dog.

Now on to Monty Python. Well, these guys will go down in history as one of the greatest comedy groups ever. Maybe the Dead Parrot Sketch is not appropriate while discussing dog bite. But it is darn funny.

But in the end I have found that mentioning control or training to a dog owner about their dog gets them more upset then mentioning how they raise their children.

So I will probably be jumped upon for stating my views here.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:37 PM   #62
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
Obviously a dog bite is serious. As a delivery person I stopped counting the dog bites at one dozen. And that was early in my career.

A very large percentage of dog owners don't have a clue how to train a dog. From uncontrollable barking to dog fighting to actually biting strangers AND family members. I just have to laugh when I go shopping and park next to an expensive car or SUV with one or two dogs and the dogs are jumping, growling, scratching, drooling - uncontrolably. And, by the way, ruining the interior of that expansive car/SUV. Don't these people know that a dog can be trained not to do this?

And as far as I am concerned anyone with more then one dogs is nuts. Sorry to all you wonderful people who think that two dogs is twice as good as one dog. Or that the other dog needs a playmate. If the other dog needs a playmate, then YOU should be walking the dog more often and spending more quality time with the dog.

Now on to Monty Python. Well, these guys will go down in history as one of the greatest comedy groups ever. Maybe the Dead Parrot Sketch is not appropriate while discussing dog bite. But it is darn funny.

But in the end I have found that mentioning control or training to a dog owner about their dog gets them more upset then mentioning how they raise their children.

So I will probably be jumped upon for stating my views here.

You must have noticed that most people whose kids are out of control, also have dogs who are out of control.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #63
NoBozo

I have a neighbor who owns an old collector car. I generally like this guy. I went over there one day when he was working under the car trying to fix something. His dog did not appreciate my presence and was barking incessantly.

After yelling at the dog to SHUT UP..Without Results..my neighbor got out from under the car and went over and KICKED the dog in the chest..I could hear the impact.

I lost ALL respect for that neighbor.

I honestly believe some people have dogs...just to CONTROL them. Not necessarily about abuse.... It's just about CONTROL... of another living thing that will conform...A Dog doesn't know any better and loves you no matter how you treat them.. NB

Last edited by NoBozo; 04-26-2011 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Sp
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #64
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
After yelling at the dog to SHUT UP..Without Results..my neighbor got out from under the car and went over and KICKED the dog in the chest..I could hear the impact.
Your neighbor was lucky that it wasn't me who witnessed him kicking the dog.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (04-26-2011), tis (04-26-2011)
Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #65
NickNH

Quote:
I agree that Monty Python is great....and that sketch is very funny. But, in this thread the discussion was about a parrot that was ripped to shreds by this woman's dogs right after she purchased the bird at a local pet store. In that context, turning the thread into a Monty Python reminiscence was, I felt, in poor taste.
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickNH For This Useful Post:
Natt (04-26-2011)
Old 04-26-2011, 06:17 AM   #66
jkjoshuatree

Default Ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Your neighbor was lucky that it wasn't me who witnessed him kicking the dog.
You should of told him there was a school nearby in case he wanted to kick some preschoolers.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #67
Natt

Quote:
I would dearly love to know what type/color car the dog owner drives, and what type of dogs... the better to avoid her.
Are they all brown? Maybe Dachsunds? Are they brown/white? Maybe Jack Russell terriers? My sister used to have two Dachsund mix breeds, and they were always yapping and jumping all over me. Now, my daughter has two Boston terriers. AARRGGHH. They are the most ill mannered little beasts. I never wear nice clothing to their house, because the darn dogs' claws have ripped my trousers...
They are some kind of "golden miniature poodles" or something like that. One of them is a different breed, but the same size. Have you noticed all the new signs at locals businesses that say "no dogs" or "must be on a leash"? Ask and they will tell you that this person is the reason. Natt's wife
Old 05-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #68
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

I noticed a new sign at the entrance to Heath's market! I was wondering why.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:56 AM   #69
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Even in the peaceful, non-urban surrounds of The Lakes Region, my current opinion of irresponsible dog owners is defined by the Dianne Whipple case in San Francisco. Google it! and see how true evil can be manifest through an animal.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Was Kimberly Guillyfoyle who went on to become a talking head on FOX. She may be the only female on FOX who is not blonde.

Wow, talk about misinformation. Although it is true that Kimberly Guilfoyle is currently a Fox news contributor, she was NOT the plaintiff in the tragic Dianne Whipple case. The plaintiffs were two attorneys, Marjorie Knoller and Robert Noel and Fox's Kimberly Guilfoyle was the ADA/prosecutor.

Also, while it is true that one of the plaintiffs (Knoller) was paroled after 4 years, that parole was revoked On August 23, 2010 when the First District Court of Appeal in San Francisco ruled 3-0 that the plaintiff Knoller acted with a conscious disregard for human life when her dogs killed Diane Whipple. Knoller is currently serving a sentence of 15 years to life.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #70
P-3 Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airedale1 View Post
Wow, talk about misinformation. Although it is true that Kimberly Guilfoyle is currently a Fox news contributor, she was NOT the plaintiff in the tragic Dianne Whipple case. The plaintiffs were two attorneys, Marjorie Knoller and Robert Noel and Fox's Kimberly Guilfoyle was the ADA/prosecutor.

Also, while it is true that one of the plaintiffs (Knoller) was paroled after 4 years, that parole was revoked On August 23, 2010 when the First District Court of Appeal in San Francisco ruled 3-0 that the plaintiff Knoller acted with a conscious disregard for human life when her dogs killed Diane Whipple. Knoller is currently serving a sentence of 15 years to life.
If Knoller was paroled, that would mean that this was a criminal matter in which Knoller and Noel were defendants and not plaintiffs, right?

I don't think that anyone was saying or implying that either Diane Whipple or Kimberly Guilfoyle was the defendant in this matter.
P-3 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #71
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMI Guy View Post
If Knoller was paroled, that would mean that this was a criminal matter in which Knoller and Noel were defendants and not plaintiffs, right?

I don't think that anyone was saying or implying that either Diane Whipple or Kimberly Guilfoyle was the defendant in this matter.

Yes, you are correct Knoller and Noel were the defendants. Also, I misread garysanfran's comment.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #72
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default hEY!

I think I had a run in today with whom I believe is Dog woman and the terrible 5-6.

I was at Lowe's getting some replacement plants for my mole garden, when up runs these 5 brown dogs. At first I didn't put two and two together, but when one came up and started barking at me, I remembred this story....

Is this them? Can it be a coincidence?

Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #73
tis

I am very sorry to read about these dogs. It hurts those of us who are responsible dog owners. We take our dogs almost everywhere with us too, and the more people are like this woman, the less people will allow dogs. When we go somewhere we are often told how well behaved our dogs are. They say they are even better than lots of kids. Of course we are usually holding them----
Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #74
Natt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I think I had a run in today with whom I believe is Dog woman and the terrible 5-6.

I was at Lowe's getting some replacement plants for my mole garden, when up runs these 5 brown dogs. At first I didn't put two and two together, but when one came up and started barking at me, I remembred this story....

Is this them? Can it be a coincidence?

Yes, that looks like them to me. Hard to tell from the small photo, but most of the dogs in question are curly haired golden poodles, if that is breed of dog. I am surprised that they stood still long enough for a photo! Natt's wife
Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #75
DDBmom

The pictures that have been posted ARE the dogs!! They are mini poodles and pomeranians. This woman was driving down Long Point Rd. the other day with the dogs running behind her and stopped in front of my kids babysitters house...my kids and the babysitters son were playing in the front yard and she looked at them and called them stupid and then as she was getting the dogs in her car looked right at them and preceeded to say "Damn kids" as she drove away! A friend of mine also had a run in with her on Veasy Shores Rd. in Meredith where she saw the dogs but NO SIGN of any car. She stopped and the dogs tried to get in to her car...shortly after the woman pulls up from WAY down there street (and out of eye sight) and told MY friend to watch out for her dogs and "can't you see??" I'm sorry but this is getting REALLY out of hand and if these dogs are not under the leash law, which they are not, then the people are going to have to take matters into their own hands because I'm tired of some whack job thinking she can have her misbehaving, BITING dogs run where SHE pleases!
Old 05-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #76
DDBmom

Quote:
She drives a tan Toyota Camry station wagon (early 90's model maybe?)
Old 05-22-2011, 07:40 PM   #77
Natt

She is advertising the dogs for sale in the "Sun" and in the "Meredith News".
Old 05-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #78
DDBmom

I believe she is breeding them because a couple of them have been seen running with "diapers" on so I am thinking they are females in heat. I have reported her to the authorities and they are going to try to catch her in the act so please if anyone sees her "running" these dogs please call the Moultonboro Police department at 603-476-2400!