Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #1
This'nThat

Default 2010-2011 Season Comparisons?

I don't snowmobile. I really don't see the attraction of zipping along at 60mph in 5 degree temperatures. BUT, this obviously seems to be a good season if you're a sledder. I see people on the lake, on the trails, and at local waterholes like Johnson's. So let me ask a question -- how does this season compare with other seasons? Is it better or worse than recent history?
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Hi This'nThat. 60 mph at 5 degrees is not always enjoyable, but sledding when you get the chance is. Last year was a great snowmobile year until February. The trails were washed down and the lake went down to bare ice after a rain storm in late January. We got no more significant snow - so the lake was difficult to ride on. My snowmobile never left the shed after February 1 and the dock went in on St. Patty's day. This year, the heavy snow and resultant slush made the lake a challenge for a while, but that problem seems to be easing - so this year already better than 2010. There have been seasons when conditions are great into April, but usually, by mid-march - as you duck under maple tap piping - the season is on the wane.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #3
hazelnut

It has been great! Don't knock it til ya try it. Snowmobiling is a blast.

With today's technology sleds and clothing you really do not feel the cold. I have ridden in negative temps without feeling the least bit cold. Electric hand warmers heat the hands and a thumb warmer for the thumb throttle. The floorboards on my sled act as the radiator so the heat transfers up through mh boots. I have a decent sized windshield. My Jacket and pants are "Choko" brand snowmobile gear and they are VERY warm. I can go with jeans and a sweatshirt under my jacket and snow-pants and I am plenty warm. You'd be very surprised how warm the helmet keeps your head.

With that said the original question was about the conditions and save for the slush issue on the lake it has been tremendous. I would compare this season to 2009 so far. Although "09" came to an abrupt halt on March 1st with a quick warm up.

Last year was a bust in my opinion. We were all set up for a great season as January was decent and about 2 weeks before the derby the skies opened up and dumped a ton of rain on the area and killed the season. All riding had to be done farther up north. We were trailering every weekend.

Thanks to all the groomers that have made the season so enjoyable!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote