Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
fatlazyless

Default e-zip bicycles

While poking around the Plymouth Wal-Mart fishing dept, I noticed these two e-zip electric, motor assisted bicycles they have for sale. Selling for $398 and made in a male or female model, they look just like a regular mountain bike hybrid except they have a small motor tucked away behind the rear axle. Powered by a removable 18 volt battery that slides into the luggage rack, it said the rechargable battery-motor is good for about 20 miles while going about 18 mph, which seems like a fast speed for a bike.

It is a motor assisted bike, so you can either pedal it or motor it, or do both at the same time. Plus, cruising down a hill probably sends a recharge back to the battery.

For $398, they look real sturdy and well built what with slightly sturdier wheels and tires than normal !

Anyone out there have one or have used one? How good or bad do they do?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-16-2009 at 12:47 PM. Reason: price correction
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Wow, fll, that is a great price. We were looking at them in Fl. and they were in the thousands. The riding here is so hilly, I always thought I would like to have one of them for the big hills! Pedal most of the time and when a big hill came, get the motor to help.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
ApS

Default Speaking of bicycles, hills and gearing...

This month's SAIL magazine has an enclosed, all-weather vehicle that's powered by the breeze. You just turn the carbon-fiber rotor assembly into the wind, and bicycle-gearing takes the drive to the wheels. To gain still more speed, the operator pivots the rotor to gain the benefit of each gust.

It's designed so the wind will drive you into the wind—something no wind-powered craft has been able to accomplish.

You stay dry in the "Ventomobile", and don't use—or run out of—batteries.

I was wondering where I might put this article!
Orion (06-16-2009)
Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
fatlazyless

yeah...but the big advantage of the e-zip is that it looks just like a regular bicyclle so as you power up a hill...observers will probably think that you are quite the strong pedaler since the motor is so small and hidden away. It's like cheating and getting away with it.

Besides, can you easily hang that contraption on a bike rack on the back of a car? .....no.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

I'd be very surprized if that motor would provide much power up hills of any significance.I think that's where the pedals come in to play.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
fatlazyless

The e-zip motor has a chain drive to transfer power to a gear sprocket on the rear wheel. The pedal power also has a chain drive as just about all bicycles do. It has 7 pedal gears, and one motor gear which looks to be about the same as the 4th pedal gear. Both male and female models have a 26" frame with a quik adjust seat height. The battery was not on display but looking at the rack holder, the battery could weigh 15-20 lbs? Just don't know about the battery's strength and endurance with the e-zip motor without taking a test ride.

For riding on the level, it is very easy to pedal, so it's just for ascending hills that the motor is really needed.

For a real world comparision, think of battery operated wheel chairs when considering the capability of the e-zip bicycle? How much storage power can a bicycle battery hold?

There is, for example, a very large differance between the output and capacity of a 12volt car battery, and a 110volt-15amp wall outlet. The e-zip battery has 450 watts of power.

It sells for $398 at Wal-Mart for either male or female model and looks like a regular bicycle.

I wonder how standard New Hampshire deluxe home owners liability insurance approaches it, as it has a motor, and is a seperate policy needed?

I should have bought that e-zip yesterday. I went back today for a second look, and it had been sold , but the lady's model was still there.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 06-16-2009 at 01:16 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #7
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Wow, fll, that is a great price. We were looking at them in Fl. and they were in the thousands. The riding here is so hilly, I always thought I would like to have one of them for the big hills! Pedal most of the time and when a big hill came, get the motor to help.

Hilly riding in Florida? I thought Florida was one big floating wet land?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #8
ITD

Motors are for wusses, embrace the hills, pedal up.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I am a wuss, I hate the hills! I would love to have a motor to take me up the hills. (here obviously not in the big floating wetland, dpg.) I think it would be great, pedal along until a big hill comes and just like magic, turn on the motor and up the hill I go! I love it! I wonder how well they really do work.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Hilly riding in Florida? I thought Florida was one big floating wet land?

It is not flat at all, it is an average of 98' above sea level and there is a giant hill that is 345' high!
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote