Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2009, 07:24 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Default 1800 GPS miles in 7.5 days

My wife and I just got back from vacation at our place in northern Maine. Between riding in Maine and Canada we managed to log just over 1800 miles. Weather was great, trails were great but getting thinner and thinner as the week went by. Could use more snow instead of this warm up, I'm glad we went last week and not this one.
Found our first Moose antler on a freshly groomed trail early one morning. He had just dropped it as indicated by the fresh blood in it. Saw other bulls still holding their racks.
Best day was 330 miles with the lowest mile day being the day after with only 100 and change with many averaging 225 to 275 miles.
For you doubters it isn't hard to do those miles when you hit the trails by 7am and ride till 5 or 6 pm and many of the trails allow speeds to be held at 60-80 mph for long stretches.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (02-09-2009), trfour (02-10-2009)
Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Red face 1800 miles

I use to ride with a group of snowmobilers that leaves Laconia for Montreal and return. We will stop at Sherbrooke and Quebec City for the Winter Carnval. Once in Canada we will average about 70 mph. The trails are wide and straight. 1800 miles was a piece of cake!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
secondcurve

What happens if someone's sled dies? It certainly is a long way from home.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
What happens if someone's sled dies? It certainly is a long way from home.
What the heck?

What happens if your car breaks down in the middle of upstate Maine? What happens if your boat breaks down 45 miles off shore? What happens if your plane breaks down at 35,000 feet?

No offense Secondcurve but what were you looking for with that question? There is risk associated with every outdoor activity. I mean I'm half kidding with you here but what a doom and gloom mentality you have there.
I'm sure these folks have survival items with them, (Phones, Provisions, Mathces, etc.) I'm pretty sure we can give them the benefit of the doubt here that they actually planned ahead. Not too say that the unexpected couldn't happen. Should they have not gone then?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
Pineedles

I don't think Secondcurve meant any offense. He may have just been with you, in his mind, riding along at mile 916 and suddely the sled starts to die.

Cough, cough, cough, kaput, cough, cachoke, chugh, ca blehhhhhhhhhhh.

What do you do? Out in the middle of a 50 mile straightaway run, after going 80 mph?

You try to start the kaput sled. You can't start it, someone gets on the cell phone to get a GPS marker for your posiiton, and then you hop on someone elses ride, and git to the next station closest. Pickup the dead sled later.

BTW, has anyone checked out how Bear Islander is doing down in Antartica lately?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #6
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
What the heck?

What happens if your car breaks down in the middle of upstate Maine? What happens if your boat breaks down 45 miles off shore? What happens if your plane breaks down at 35,000 feet?

No offense Secondcurve but what were you looking for with that question? There is risk associated with every outdoor activity. I mean I'm half kidding with you here but what a doom and gloom mentality you have there.
I'm sure these folks have survival items with them, (Phones, Provisions, Mathces, etc.) I'm pretty sure we can give them the benefit of the doubt here that they actually planned ahead. Not too say that the unexpected couldn't happen. Should they have not gone then?
It was a serious question. If my car breaks down in the middle of Maine I call Triple A. If my boats breaks down 45 miles offshore I call Sea Tow. If my plane breaks down at 35,000 feet I hope I am flying with Sully the pilot who touched down in the Hudson. It isn't a gloom and doom question, but rather a practical question that anyone taking an 1800 mile trip must consider. Do you have anything of substance to add?
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default tow it

Seriously...I had a friend who was part of a large group that did the Maine to Quebec superhighway snowmobile trip, and his sled broke a pulley or some kind of mechanical failure that you wouldn't carry spare parts for.

They towed the sled to a town, found someone who could fix it (gonna take a few days!), doubled up on a sled and picked up the sled on the way back.

And my friend said the guy was actually pretty reasonable, not cheap, but reasonable.

I guess you do what ya gotta do!
secondcurve (02-10-2009)
Old 02-10-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
This'nThat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
What the heck? No offense Secondcurve but what were you looking for with that question? I mean I'm half kidding with you here but what a doom and gloom mentality you have there.
Rather than assuming Secondcurve has a gloom and doom mentality, assume he wants information, and treat the question as a teaching opportunity. I think it's a legitimate question, and would prefer to see how experienced sledders deal with this possibility, instead.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
Gatto Nero (02-10-2009), secondcurve (02-10-2009)
Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
ApS

Talking Scenic Canada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
"...For you doubters it isn't hard to do those miles when you hit the trails by 7am and ride till 5 or 6 pm and many of the trails allow speeds to be held at 60-80 mph for long stretches..."
How was the scenery?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Arrow break down

That has happen a couple of times. This is where 'yankee ingenuity' (MacGyver?) comes to play. We have always manage to get the sleds going. I wouldn't try this alone.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
Rather than assuming Secondcurve has a gloom and doom mentality, assume he wants information, and treat the question as a teaching opportunity. I think it's a legitimate question, and would prefer to see how experienced sledders deal with this possibility, instead.
Well maybe I misread the tone of the question but the added "It certainly is a long way from home" comment leads one to believe he is asking it in a tsk tsk manner. My bad I guess.

Secondcurve if you actually read my post I added substance... I'll re-quote for you.

"I'm sure these folks have survival items with them, (Phones, Provisions, Mathces, etc.) I'm pretty sure we can give them the benefit of the doubt here that they actually planned ahead. Not too say that the unexpected couldn't happen."

To spell that out more plainly. If you take a trip like that you do need to plan ahead and pack some necessities. I was with a gentleman this weekend who told me an interesting story. He and his brother were up in the middle of nowhere snowmobiling. Essentially they got lost and both ran out of gas. It was late and it was "the middle of nowhere." So they lit a fire and stood outside in the cold until dawn. Somebody finally came along on a sled and rescued them.

Sorry I thought most of this might be common sense?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 PM   #12
chipj29

I doubt that the trip was actually 900 miles from home, then back. It was probably a bunch of loops, couple hundred miles here and there. You can be out in the middle of nowhere and still within a reasonable distance from a town or at least a residence. Not saying I would want to be in that scenario, but it can happen. As upthesaukee stated, breakdowns happen and you deal with them however you can. It usually involves getting towed into town. Hopefully everyone carries a tow strap. I do...now. I never did before, till my sled broke down last month and had to borrow a tow strap.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:23 PM   #13
jeffk

To me, a lot of the draw of snowmobiling is getting away from it all, and accepting the risks that it entails.

You plan for common problems, ride with friends, and rely on the help of strangers for the rest. My experiences have always turned out well even though some of them have been quite bumpy. Just like the trails.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
trfour

Default Any 1800 Mile Trip Takes Planning....

Even if you fly, hopefully your airline will do most of the footwork for you....

The corridor trails in Canada are very much like our Interstate Highways here in the states. Nice wide four and five lane limited access, meaning, one way traffic north, south, east and west. The signage on the trails let you know about Food, Lodging, Gas, hospital, parts and all of the major brand snowmobile dealerships, and much more.
On one of our trips to Gaspe on the ST. Lawrence Seaway, one of the sleds burned a piston. There was a dealership within 25 miles and we towed the sled in, it was under warranty and they not only did the repair work, but gave him a sled to use, we continued our trip and stopped on our way back through. His sled was ready, and we returned home safe and sound.

PS. Oh, and we had at least one good mechanic in our group.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:06 AM   #15
Formula260SS

Miss those days, we used to run 1000 to 1500 miles in about a week in Northern Maine. Nothing like ripping down a trail on a Wednesday that is flat and fast with nobody around.

Nice ride Belmont !
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote