Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2004, 04:31 PM   #1
Rattlesnake Gal

Default Tokens and tolls

Thought I would spread the word that the cost of tokens are going up. State is going to implement the EZ Pass electronic toll collection system.

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=34710
Old 03-25-2004, 11:33 PM   #2
jasdmd0

Default Finally!!! It's about time!!

I know that some "purists" out there will bemone this, but once you've got a EZ-Pass/Fastlane transponder on your windshield and you get to cruise on through the appropriate lanes without stopping while the token/change lanes are stacked up 20 cars deep, you'll be asking yourself "why didn't they do this sooner?"
Old 03-26-2004, 01:36 AM   #3
Kevin Plante

Default Re: Tokens and tolls

I live in the only town in the state that has to pay a toll to get onto the highway at all - Merrimack. Completely unfair, but nobody outside the town cares much. Somehow this is a state issue. I am not exactly thrilled about the price increase of tokens.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:48 AM   #4
B&D

also a Merrimack resident--Perhaps this is the time to get rid of the toll booth. Who's our
non-responsive rep?
Old 03-26-2004, 08:13 AM   #5
Hazelnut

Does anyone know when 293/93 etc will be on this system? Will it be reciprocal to the Mass turnpike transponder? I look forward to the changeover considering the tolls will probably never go away in my lifetime.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2004, 09:00 AM   #6
Kevin Plante

As far as I know, all the Merrimack reps worked together on getting rid of the tolls. The problem is with the rest of the reps from across the state.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:11 AM   #7
John

Maybe the state should give merrimack residents a ez pass that will allow them either free pass to the interstate or a reduced rate! It's not an impossible feat to happen. and it seems to be the only fair thing to do for the residents. They pay for it in other ways.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:21 AM   #8
tricia

How would I go about getting a speed pass?
Old 03-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #9
Lexxi

I am also from Merrimack,talk about holy toll-booths, we got them all. If these toll booths are suppose to pay for the road, with Merrimack having booths at Exit 10, 11 & 12 what happened at Exit 12 where you only get off the toll road going North and only get onto the toll road going South. Must be why Tolls are going up to finish the Half A__ project at Exit 12. We love Merrimack, High Taxes and Toll Booth Robbery. But we got Budweiser !!!!!
Old 03-26-2004, 10:13 AM   #10
Tired of Waiting

Default Welcome to the world of frustration

Well,

I have EZ-pass here in Mass. I have one that allows me to travel between exits 1-6 free. There is no toll on the Mass pike between these exits so they issue a free pass if you want one.

HOWEVER the system doesn’t always work the way it should. In the past I have gotten well over a dozen tickets in the mail for toll violations!! The first is a free $0 (warning) ticket the rest cost $50 each “IF” you loose the appeal. Although I haven’t lost an appeal it is a PITA every time you get one. Calling the authorities or mailing in the appeal form.

Down here they don’t know how to link computer systems together so when the transponder/receiver malfunctions they take a picture of your plate. They run the plate and send out the ticket. They can’t seem to check the plate number against the EZ-pass user database and cancel the ticket if the violation is within the exit range, i.e. exits 1-6.

I had to have the transponder replaced this past December after a series of tickets. They tested the unit and it tested good, but only replaced it after I demanded a new one. The tickets stopped until yesterday. As I got off exit 6 I got a “Call Fast Lane” yellow light. I called and they had issued another ticket. So now I have to wait for the ticket and call them back to have it voided.

So, Welcome to the world of frustration.

ToW
Old 03-26-2004, 10:39 AM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

We care, but what can we do? It really is unfair for Merrimack residents and businesses. We bought a bunch of tokens in advance.
The EZ-Pass/Fastlane transponder should make going through the tolls faster. Notice how it is only a 40% savings as opposed to the 50% now with the tokens?
So will the MA residents that use one in their state have to get another transponder?
Old 03-26-2004, 02:19 PM   #12
JvB

I know that the Fastlane and the EZ pass (from NY) are interchangable, so I'd assume that the same will be true for the NH system.
Old 03-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #13
Blue Thunder

EZ Pass and Fast Lane are one in the same. If you get one you will be able to travel from New York and New Jersey all the way to Maine as the Maine Turnpike is changing it's technology as well. It was going to be implemented this Spring but they are waiting till Fall so as not to have big problems during the busy summer season. You can get one at masspike.com.

Blue Thunder
Old 03-26-2004, 03:58 PM   #14
Zee

Do not order them through Mass. FastLane. There is a $27.50 charge per transponder. Instead go to EZpass.com and order through New Jersey. You get up to 4 transponders and if you set up your account to replenish with a credit card, there is no equipment fee. I did this about four years ago and it works like a charm. I have used them from Mass through Delaware, Pennsylvania, New York and New Jersey. $25.00 credit sits on your account. When you use the transponders, the amount reduces for each toll. When the balance gets below $15.00 (I think), your credit card is used to replenish. You're statement shows each toll in detail including toll, toll area, date, even which lane you went through.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:50 PM   #15
Senter Cove Guy

I read an article last summer about NH implementing EZ-Pass. I recall that it said it would start with the Hampton Toll in about a year (from last summer) and then it would take 3 years to implement state-wide. I would hope they wouldn't up the price of tokens until a majority of toll booths had implemented EZ-Pass.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:12 PM   #16
fatlazyless

Default Re:psssst..... Old Man tokens & parking meters

Once upon a time, the Old Man in the Mountain-NH Highway tokens, that are sold at a 50% discount, $5 buys a ten dollar roll or 12 1/2 cents each for a 25 cent token, used to work in the old City of Boston parking meters but not any more. What this State needs is an Old Man token that sells for 1/2 price when purchased by the roll which is a universal fit for all parking meters everywhere. Hey, now there's something that Gov Benson should pursue along with his quest for cut-rate Canadian prescription drugs while he is out driving around in his metallic bronze colored Hummer.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:59 PM   #17
michaelmcd

ez pass is awesome, can't come quick enough to NH.

you can get one on the mass pike in natick mass, they have signs for the place that has them.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:45 PM   #18
Mee'n'Mac

Default Re: Welcome to the world of frustration

"So, Welcome to the world of frustration."

Is your experience just that the system won't recognize exits 1-6 as being free or does it screw up recognizing passage thru other toll plazas as well ? That is, it doesn't find your x-ponder as you pass through other EZ pass gates, and thus reports you as someone trying to sneak through the gate w/o a x-ponder ?

ps - anyone know if/when the authorities will hit you with the speeding ticket should you pass btw 2 gates too soon ?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:36 PM   #19
Treerider

Re your "PS"....scary and certainly possible in the future, of course if you were to complain etc. you would still be fined and they would claim to "save the children" etc.
PS, I HAVE a Mass Fast Lane, but the day they hit me with a ticket for going too fast between the exits is the day I practice my "Mark MAguire Home Run Swing" with the Transponder as the ball...
Old 03-26-2004, 07:53 PM   #20
lRaven

I see EZ Pass in Florida. If you sign up through NJ will it work in Florida tolls?
Old 03-26-2004, 08:24 PM   #21
Don Mordavsky

Similar to NJ but easier. NY EZ Pass is no charge and also has a minimum which is updated via credit card. Go to www.expass.com and it will link you to NY. Four transponder per account at no rental charge like Mass. does. Good luck
Old 03-26-2004, 09:37 PM   #22
Senter Cove Guy

Default Re: Checkout This Link

Check this link out.

NH EZ-Pass
Old 03-26-2004, 11:15 PM   #23
Packy Derm

Default Re:psssst..... NH Tokens and Funspot Tokens

The NH Turnpike tokens (selling at 12.5 cents each in rolls) work in many of the Funspot Games. Funspot games work primarily on tokens (anywhere from 11.5 to 25 cents per token - cost depends on how many you buy at once and if you have a coupon). Parents, note: If your stash of Turnpike tokens is smaller after you leave Funspot, guess what....

Although the Funspot people try their best to pull the NH turnpike tokens out of Funspot circulation there are times when games that pay out Funspot tokens pay out some NH Turnpike tokens. If I get any NH tokens at Funspot I save them to use on the turnpike. I do not know of anyone using a Funspot token at the Turnpike. Nor have I received any Funspot tokens in any NH token rolls I've purchased.

I've also heard that those Funspot tokens work in many other arcades that use that size token although I'm sure it's not legit to use any tokens other than for their intended purpose.

Fast Lane - yet another way Big Brother can track where we go, when, how often and by what routes.

Packy Derm
Old 03-27-2004, 07:15 AM   #24
Merrymeeting

>>NHDOT will sign dedicated E-ZPass lanes at 10 mph.

I wish someone could explain why the speed limit on these is so low. I've been in several states in the south and west where the cars flow through at almost full highway speed.

I realize safety is an issue, and frankly watching cars wiz through at 60+ is unnerving. But 10 mph seems a bit extreme on the other side.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:50 PM   #25
-

The fine for not paying a toll in NH is $117. Many times the toll booth has an attendant sitting on a stool watching what coins come into the machine. If they see the wrong ones, they'll stand up and get your plate number then notify the State Police. It will cost you $117 to save a few pennies.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:10 PM   #26
GWC...

Guess what? If you don't like it, move…

See link to see origin of these wonderful words.

http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/index.cgi?read=78382
Old 03-27-2004, 02:46 PM   #27
jasdmd0

Most of it is safety, since if you've ever seen the tolls on the Mass Pike, especially at the Rte 128 interchange, or Exit 9(I-84 interchange) when the lines for the cash lanes are long, many, many folks without fastlane transponders will inadvertantly(or ignorantly may be more appropriate) head down the Fastlane lane because there is no line and then they've got to try and merge into the stopped cash lanes. If you're crusing through a fastlane lane and that happens infront of you, trouble(and I don't car how well they've marked the Fastlane only lanes, many people without fastlane/EZ pass transponders will do this).

Personally, If its wide open and not very crowded in the adjacent lanes, I'll cruise through at 20-30mph, no problems, the Transponder always reads the signal.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:49 PM   #28
csuhockey3

Default toll speed

10 MPH?! That does seem really slow. Here in Colorado, I have an express pass and the speed limit is 70 right on through the express lane.

CSUhockey3
Old 03-27-2004, 04:41 PM   #29
Big Al

If you are from Mass, you will not get the discount.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:52 PM   #30
Sail Boat John

NO Florida Sun Pass is different.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:03 AM   #31
Belmont Resident

That has been a bummer. I worked in Merrimack while living in Nashua for years. I still can't figure out why they never put the toll at exit 1 when the road was widened. I'd originally heard that was the plan.
But on the up side I found it was just as easy to go right up D.W. Highway and jump on at Bedford.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:46 AM   #32
Orion

I believe there is a $1/month surcharge for the NJ/NY passes, so it would cost the same over about a 2-year period and no refund when turned in. ?Don't know about FLA.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #33
Tired of Waiting

Mee'n'Mac

The transponder I have is only good for exits 1-6. I get on at exit 3 in the am and off at exit 6. I do reverse in the pm. The problem is with their system. It fails to pick up the transponder when getting on or off at times. That's when I get the ticket.

I cannot use the transponder for any other exits.

The system is in need of fixing as I am not alone with the problems. It is well known that the problems exist but they have done little to fix it. Just keep sending out the tickets and let the users worry about getting them corrected.

ToW
Old 03-28-2004, 01:53 PM   #34
FLboater

I once received a roll of tokens at the tollgate and about 1/2 the tokens were funspot tokens. I used them in the toll with not problem.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:44 AM   #35
Treerider

Wasn't the fee for a monthly statement?? All the hiway pass systems have websites, let the buyer beware...
Old 03-29-2004, 07:43 PM   #36
Senter Cove Guy

Two years ago I signed up for the NJ E-ZPass. Then after about 3 months I was informed there would be $1.00 per month charge to pay for the financial mis-handling of the NJ E-ZPass system. I dropped the NJ E-ZPass and signed up for the NY E-ZPass which, as of last month, does not have a $1.00 per month extra charge.

Go to this link to sign-up:

NY E-ZPass
Old 03-30-2004, 06:21 AM   #37
Senter Cove Guy

Default Bad Link Above - Try This One

Select "Sign Up Now! and when the "To Better Serve You ..." window pops up, enter your state as "New York", not Mass or NH or anything else. That way you get directed to the NY site rather than the Mass Turnpike Fast Lane site.

NY E-ZPass
Old 04-07-2004, 09:54 AM   #38
Grant

Default PA System

No surcharge with the PA system, although I am sure if the PA powers learn of one being charged elsewhere, they will be eager to implement one of their own!
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #39
marcucci

I emailed Al Almasy to ask the following questions and thought I would post his reply for other who may have the same questions. His anwers are in blue.

Will the NY/NJ/MA/PA/DE/MD/VA E-ZPasses work NH? YES!

Will the NH pass work in other states? YES!

Will there be a benefit to getting a NH E-ZPass vs. another state E-ZPass, for example some states give deeper discounts to E-ZPass users from their own state? If you have a passenger car account, there will be no benefit, as you and other E-ZPass customers of the passenger car variety will get the same discount. Commercial accounts are another story.
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 02:07 PM   #40
Island Girl

Default EZ-Pass discount

Will ES-PASS users in NH get a discount going through the toll booths over those paying at the booth?

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 03:38 PM   #41
chocophile

Default Tokens Live?

The press release from the company says that tokens will still work!
Revenue Markets Press Release
chocophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 09:31 AM   #42
marcucci

Island Girl,

Somewhere I read:

Cash: No discount
Tokens: %20 discount ($8 for $10 roll)
EZPass: %40 discount

So stock up this summer on the $5 for $10 rolls if you don't plan on getting the EZpass. Personally, I am going to get my EZpass now (from what ever state charges the least) so I am ready when the lanes open at Bedford and Hookset!
Boat #3: Premier Sunsation 220 Tritoon
Boating on Winnipesaukee since 1989
Vacationing on Winnipesaukee since 1975
marcucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:02 AM   #43
osterber

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuhockey3
10 MPH?! That does seem really slow. Here in Colorado, I have an express pass and the speed limit is 70 right on through the express lane.

CSUhockey3
It's a big safety thing. The technology can easily handle you going through at 50, 60, etc., mph. In places where they have the high-speed EZ-pass lanes (places in PA come to mind), they have enough room so that the high-speed lane is very separated, and is separated for a long time.

The problem is that in a small toll plaza, if you have two adjacent lanes, one with someone stopping (to pay cash), and the next lane with someone going 60 mph, as they merge together, it's a very dangerous situation.

So to make it work, you need the high-speed lane to stay separated until the other lanes have merged, and had a time to reach cruising speed.

-Rick
osterber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:53 AM   #44
abay

Has there been any indication yet when this system (Fast Lane, EZ Pass equivalent) will be up and running. I'm making the assumption that it will not be this year.....
abay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 05:57 PM   #45
Lin

I wish they'd get it faster than their moving. We've got the fastlane that works with the EZ and we've used it to MD. It would be so much easier going through the tolls of NH. If you haven't used them before wait till you get one. You'll wonder why you waited so long.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:43 AM   #46
Fun4us

Question EZ-Pass

Which Tolls have EZ Pass? Are they still installing the system? Have they done the toll on 93 yet?
Fun4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:32 AM   #47
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default EZ Pass System

It is not up and working yet. According to the Department of Transportation it should be in place by March of 2005. Hampton Main and Hampton Ramp will be the first facilities to get the new system.
DOT
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 01:50 PM   #48
Fun4us

Exclamation EZ Pass System

Thanks , I was hoping for sooner. At least it is comming!
Fun4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 02:59 PM   #49
T.H.E. Binz

Default 20th Century Marvel

In my view, EZ Pass is one of the 10 best inventions of the 20th Century - it's about time that the Granite State got on board!
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote