Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Light Breeze

Default trail access

Thinking of getting a sled next year...I have great access in Long Bay Laconia but must travel 50-75 yards of pavement to get there. I assume I would want to use the shoulder which is sometimes loaded up with plowings? My real question is can I use the machine on that stretch of pavement without damaging the machine?
Light Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:35 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Breeze View Post
Thinking of getting a sled next year...I have great access in Long Bay Laconia but must travel 50-75 yards of pavement to get there. I assume I would want to use the shoulder which is sometimes loaded up with plowings? My real question is can I use the machine on that stretch of pavement without damaging the machine?
Yes no problem or you could get a set of “rollerski’s” for your front ski’s. Google it. I have them on my sled and love them!

https://www.qualipieces.com/

Dan
Old 02-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #3
Rich

I'll second what Dan says.

Over time, if on bare pavement you could experience some wear on your carbides, but its not really that much and they need to be replaced over time anyway. You end up with the same wear as you pull into gas stations and cross roads, etc.

Many sleds don't steer well on bare pavement, which is the reason that pushed me to get them on my sled. I was tired of fighting this when trying to maneuver at gas stations and on some longer roads where I had to travel in something other than a straight line.

I also went with the rollerskis on my sled, they sure are nice, but most people don't know about them or just bother with them due to the added cost.

https://www.qualipieces.com/en-US/lines/rollerski

Last edited by Rich; 02-11-2020 at 11:25 AM.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (02-10-2020), trfour (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 11:35 AM   #4
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'll second what Dan says.

Over time, if on bare pavement you could do some wear on your carbides, but its not really that much and they need to be replaced over time anyway. You end up with the same wear as you pull into gas stations and cross roads, etc.

Many sleds don't steer well on bare pavement, which is the reason that pushed me to get them on my sled. I was tried of fighting this when trying to maneuver at gas stations and on some longer roads where I had to travel in something other than a straight line.

I also went with the rollerskis on my sled, they sure are nice, but most people don't know about them or just bother with them due to the added cost.

https://www.qualipieces.com/en-US/lines/rollerski
Wow those are really neat and convenient, I certainly could use them. Do they work as easily as they say? If you don't mind what was the cost?
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Yesterday, Sunday, I actually saw three snowmobiles traveling slowly down the railroad track trail in Plymouth NH, where it crosses Rt 175 between Main St and the bridge over the Pemi River, close to the roundabout, there.

As you know, the inside width between the railroad rails is 48.5-inches, and the outside width between the snowmobile front runners is typically 44-inches, leaving the snowmobile driver just 4.5" of space divided by two or 2 1/4" space between the runners and the steel rails on both sides.

The overnight snow fall of about 4" heavy, wet, icy, crusty snow was, no doubt, why these three snowmobiles were out there, riding their machines down between the railroad rails.

These front runner wheels are somewhat similar to railroad train wheels, so making snowmobile wheels that work good on a railroad track seems like a no-brainer, and would make the machine good to go on the tracks with or without enough snow on the ground.

This seems like an easy fix for riding the railroad/snowmobile trail when there's not enough snow ...... just enough snow to cover the wood ties and gravel between the steel rails ....... but not enough snow to cover the steel rails, which is basically how it is, most of the time ......... don't you think!

These three snowmobiles were all in a straight line, riding between the steel railroad rails on the fresh, thick snow and moving along at under 10-mph, taking care not to side hit the steel rails with their front runner/skis and if the two runner/skis had wheels that fit the rails, like a train, it seems like it could be a good fit ...... a snowmobile version similar to training wheels adapted to the railroad track rails, when there's not enough snow ..... boo-hoo ........ don't you think!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-10-2020 at 01:22 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2020, 12:34 PM   #6
SAB1

Make sure you buy a trailer or have a pickup to haul it in for years like this one..................:
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:17 PM   #7
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Wow those are really neat and convenient, I certainly could use them. Do they work as easily as they say? If you don't mind what was the cost?
Yes they do work exactly as described! I actually used mine today as I m in Quebec snowmobiling. Coming out of the mountains and going into town to get gas and had to go down a road for about a 1/4 mile. Put the rollerskis down and made it easy.

I believe they cost around $350.00 per set. HK sports sells them, or you can buy direct.

Dan
Hillcountry (02-10-2020), trfour (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #8
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Yes they do work exactly as described! I actually used mine today as I m in Quebec snowmobiling. Coming out of the mountains and going into town to get gas and had to go down a road for about a 1/4 mile. Put the rollerskis down and made it easy.

I believe they cost around $350.00 per set. HK sports sells them, or you can buy direct.

Dan
Dan
How’s the snow up in Gaspe’? Off trail up to your armpits I would imagine!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-11-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #9
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Dan
How’s the snow up in Gaspe’? Off trail up to your armpits I would imagine!
Deeper! They got 22” the day we arrived! You don’t want to go off trail I can tell you that!

Dan
Hillcountry (02-11-2020), trfour (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
Rich

Quote:
Deeper! They got 22” the day we arrived! You don’t want to go off trail I can tell you that!

Dan
OH I hate you right about now!

Enjoy your trip!

I keep hearing ongoing horror stories about organized theft up there, but it does sound beautiful!

Back to the Rollerskis:

I first saw them on a friends sled a few years ago. I thought it was too much to spend. But then we drove into town for lunch (approved in this town) and I was going crazy trying to control my sled, where he handled the whole trip as if he was in his car.

Now that I have them, I wonder what took me so long! They aren't really needed for strait runs crossing roads, and I would never bother to deploy them for that, but anytime turns or any maneuvering is needed, they excel!

They are spring loaded so they will self retract, or you can simply easily tip the sled from side to side, it's easier than is sounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (02-11-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:42 PM   #11
ishoot308

Quote:
OH I hate you right about now!

Enjoy your trip!

I keep hearing ongoing horror stories about organized theft up there, but it does sound beautiful!
Theft used to be more of an issue years back but it has got better in recent years. Most of the theft was happening around Quebec City. I do take extra precautions but I have never had an issue in many years now and neither have any of my friends. There are no theft issues in The Gaspe area...

Dan
Top-Water (02-11-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:53 PM   #12
ishoot308

Quote:
OH I hate you right about now! .
Rich,

Here’s something you can hate me for!
Attached Images

upthesaukee (02-12-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 10:01 AM   #13
Rich

Quote:
Rich,

Here’s something you can hate me for!
You are right about this!

When you get back, if you want to lower your standards to ride some NH trails, let me know. I'm available weekdays also.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:07 PM   #14
Light Breeze

thanks for all the input!
Light Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote