Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
winnisummergal

Default Raleigh, NC to Winni

Curious if any forum member has traveled from Raleigh to the lake? What is the typical drive time and what's a good half way, maybe spend the night location?

Thanks!
winnisummergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Happy Gourmand

I'm curious about this too. Contemplating moving to the Raleigh area for the winters and Meredith for the summers. C'mon retirement!!
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
pjard

I've done the drive to Richmond VA. Depending if you're a driving nut or not I would suggest Wilmington DE or Baltimore as a stopping point.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
blacksheep

I love this thread! I grew up just north of Philadelphia, then went to college in central NC (Yay Elon!), lived in Raleigh for 13 years before moving to NH in 2001. It is about a 14 hour drive from Meredith area to Raleigh, pretty much a striaght shot down 95. Philly is about 6 hours south. New Hope, PA - my hometown - (which is in Bucks County, just north of Philly and not too far off of I95) is a super-fun, arty little village home to many fantastic restaurants (Martine's, Havanna, Mother's, The Landing, La Bon A'Berge) a zillion beautiful little boutiques and galleries, and some lovely lodging (The Inn at Lambertville Station, Hotel Du Village) and would be a great place to stop to get some R&R on the way. Oh, and if you like antiques, you just may never leave! If you stop in New Hope, you then have a full day's drive to Raleigh, but you could always take three days and swing through DC. You've got to break up that interstate travel somehow! Once in Raleigh, do visit the City Market area of downtown, and frankly I think Durham and Chapel Hill have more to offer as far as food goes. So many good options for great eats! The outter banks are a beautiful spot for a retirement home... as is Asheville, if you like the mountains. So many options in lovely NC!

http://www.newhopepa.com/
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default We drove from Alton Bay to Boone, NC..

Boone is in the northwest corner of NC, and it was about 14.5 hours, which we split over two days.

Raleigh is a little less mileage, but you can hit traffic around Baltimore or DC. Might even out the time, which shows about 12-13 hrs.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Rockman

865 miles driveway to driveway. We live in Cary (just outside of Raleigh) and I make the drive 3-4 times a year. The quickest way is down 95, but totally dependent on traffic and time of day. An alternative, is 84 into NY and then down 81 through PA, MD, VA. This adds a 100 miles to the trip, but could be quicker if you try the drive on a busy weekend.

I leave the lake around 2:00 in the afternoon and can miss almost all traffic before stopping near Baltimore for the night.

If you choose to drive straight through (as I do most times), you need to calculate to miss rush hour at the Tappan Zee Bridge, Garden State Parkway, and DC. It is a challenge to miss it all.

Overall, not a bad drive. I just did it last Thursday in 14 hours.

I hope this helps.
Rockman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockman For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (01-29-2014), winnisummergal (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
MeredithMan

Default NC to NH

My brother-in-law lives in New Bern, NC, (over near the coast...about 2+ hours from Raleigh, I believe), and makes the trip up to see us once or twice per year. Like others have said, it runs about 14+/- hours in total, and he usually stops in southern MD for the night. He does the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel route to bypass the DC Beltway and then up through NJ, over Tappan Zee, up 84 to Pike to 290 to 495 to 293/93.

As a side note, construction has begun on a NEW Tappan Zee Bridge, which is being constructed next to the existing one.

Hope that helps.

MM
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

We trailer down to Myrtle Beach annually for bike week. I am pulling a 32' trailer so it takes a bit longer than some folks can make the run in (I have to stop for fuel 5 times).

We use the 81 route and usually stop a little north of Richmond on the way down and in Fishkill NY area on the way back up.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #9
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
We trailer down to Myrtle Beach annually for bike week. I am pulling a 32' trailer so it takes a bit longer than some folks can make the run in (I have to stop for fuel 5 times).

We use the 81 route and usually stop a little north of Richmond on the way down and in Fishkill NY area on the way back up.
Vita, I too trailer down that way, however to Hunting Island, SC. Always take 81, less traffic/stress, no tolls and great scenary! usually overnight in Fredericksburg, VA. and then continue from there the next morning!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #10
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtagrip View Post
Vita, I too trailer down that way, however to Hunting Island, SC. Always take 81, less traffic/stress, no tolls and great scenary! usually overnight in Fredericksburg, VA. and then continue from there the next morning!
I would totally recommend I-81. A bit longer, but like you said, a lot nicer. It is a bit hilly in spots for those towing larger trailers.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I would totally recommend I-81. A bit longer, but like you said, a lot nicer. It is a bit hilly in spots for those towing larger trailers.
Yup! Know all about those hills. Especially that long steep one coming right out of Wilkes-Barre heading south after the safety/speed zone ends. I'm towing a 30' Jayco with a super slide!
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
Justenuff

Default Wilmington, NC to Ossipee, NH

Average time on the road is 18 hours from Wilmington NC, approximately 960 miles.
I try to do a straight shot up US 40 to 95 to NJTP to GWB, 95 or Merritt Pkway to 91 to 84 to 495 to 95 to Rte 16.
Timing is critical to make sure that the traffic is not a limiting factor, which requires driving almost all night or stopping along the way.
If we stop overnight, Penn's Grove NJ (at the Delaware Bridge) is a good spot.
I have gotten stuck in DC, NYC and NJTP, and it is horrendous.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Been making this trip for years and willl never,ever take rt 95 again.
Always get a couple of big delays ....Garden State Pkwy,and DC are the usual culprits.Also Nearly $100 in tolls if you're towing.
We now take 84/81 all the way to Kingsport Tenn. where we pick up 26 which hooks up again with 95 to Florida.Rt 95 is fine in the south,but in the northeast it is pretty gnarly.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
blacksheep (03-17-2014)
Old 02-21-2014, 03:23 PM   #14
HomeWood

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnisummergal View Post
Curious if any forum member has traveled from Raleigh to the lake? What is the typical drive time and what's a good half way, maybe spend the night location?

Thanks!
Maybe I'm a little late on this, but for 12 years I made this exact drive since moving to NC from MA. Our family lake house sold a few weeks ago. I could do it in 13-14 hours driving overnight, non-stop, and pulling a trailer loaded down with atv/snowmobile.

I-95 all the way, but I would sometimes take the Tappanzee bridge and avoid NYC. Those roads are awful and would beat the heck out of me while towing.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
HomeWood

Quote:
A little more info on I-81, if you will?
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #16
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
What kind of info are you looking for?

I can tell you that it is a more scenic drive as it goes through more hilly areas. It is a lot less congested than I-95.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
Justenuff

Default I-81 Travel Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWood View Post
I used to travel 81 from Pennsylvania to Western NC when I lived in New England. The road was ok, but the thing I remember most was the trucks!
The 18 wheelers roll up and down the hills in VA, WVA and PA and are thick. Lots of blowing around by them, especially if you are towing.
There is no good way to get up there from Raleigh, just need to try a different way and pick the one you like.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #18
RLW

Smile

Rockman, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Sure hope we see more of you on here.