Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
jkjoshuatree

Default Heading To Wolfeboro Tomorrow For 2 Weeks...

...and I have 2 quick questions.

1. Friends keep telling me that Rte. 93 North is a mess around the Medford area. Is this true? I haven't heard anything but I'm sure one of us Winni people make the trek every weekend and would know. I'll be leaving the South Shore around 10. Should I avoid 93 entirely and go 95? I know it's "the journey and not the destination" but when the destination is Wolfeboro, the journey can't go by fast enough.

2. I keep hearing about "duck itch". I've never had it (nor has anyone in my family) and we've been going to the lake for almost 40 years. Is Winter Harbor okay/clean? And can dogs get it?

Okay...so that was way more than 2 questions.

Sorry!
Old 07-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
...and I have 2 quick questions.

1. Friends keep telling me that Rte. 93 North is a mess around the Medford area. Is this true? I haven't heard anything but I'm sure one of us Winni people make the trek every weekend and would know. I'll be leaving the South Shore around 10. Should I avoid 93 entirely and go 95? I know it's "the journey and not the destination" but when the destination is Wolfeboro, the journey can't go by fast enough.

2. I keep hearing about "duck itch". I've never had it (nor has anyone in my family) and we've been going to the lake for almost 40 years. Is Winter Harbor okay/clean? And can dogs get it?

Okay...so that was way more than 2 questions.

Sorry!
93 is a mess during the day it is hit or miss, might be better heading up Rt 95 to Rt 3 in burlington or heading up further to hit 93
Always find Rt 3 is faster off of Rt 128/Rt95
jkjoshuatree (07-26-2011)
Old 07-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #3
crowsnest

I drive up every friday around 2 Pm from the South shore dont have much of a problem , if I dont leave by 2 we wait till 6PM and do not have to touch the brakes.

Coming home on Sundays we avoid Medford Lane closeures and take 93 S to 95 S
They Close one lane on each side from Friday 8PM to Monday 5AM for about a 3 mile stretch in medford area for bridge work
crowsnest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crowsnest For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Barbara

Brewster Beach has been closed for the last two days due to bacteria levels. I'm sure the heat of Fri and Sat had something to do with it. Temps have moderated to the low 80's and we've had some rain last night and just now, so hopefully, that will help the matter. There has been "duck itch" at Carry Beach the last few days. That is related to duck excrement combined with heat and shallow water. You can swim, but it's important to shower when you get home.

We do most of our swimming from our boat. We're in deeper water and there are no problems in that case.
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barbara For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

You should be ok in the deeper water. Wearing sunscreen and toweling off vigorously after swimming seems to work. I think if you are raking or kids are playing for a while in shallow water, you are more apt to get it. As said, it has been in Winter Harbor.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (07-26-2011), KPW (07-27-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
Natt

Default What IS duck itch?

It is a parasite of ducks. The eggs hatch and the larva are in the water. The larva burrow into the skin of the duck. In the duck, the larva mature and lay eggs which are expelled in the duck feces into the water. The larvae matures in the duck and lays eggs which are expelled in the ducks feces. I think this is about right, but there may be a snail involved too. Humans get duck itch when the larva try and burrow into human skin. It itches quite a bit, but the larva cannot mature in a human host. The best thing to do is to dry off with a rough towel immediately after swimming. Don't forget inside your suit. Sometimes it is recommended to put lotion on your body inside the suit to prevent duck itch, but we just dry off well. So, dry off well, and you will avoid most of it. Shallow water is particularly a problem especially if there are ducks around, hence the DO NOT FEED DUCKS signs that you see. Hope this helps, Natt''s wife
Natt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
NonVoting Taxpayer

Think you're being told about the bridge work on 93 near Medford they have been working on for a while now every weekend. Starts Friday nights and ends on Sunday while they do bridge work.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:27 PM   #8
jkjoshuatree

Wink Thanks guys!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonVoting Taxpayer View Post
Think you're being told about the bridge work on 93 near Medford they have been working on for a while now every weekend. Starts Friday nights and ends on Sunday while they do bridge work.

Much appreciated!!!

I think I'll be safe taking 93 late morning tomorrow.

And I'll make sure I dry off after swimming!!!

Thanks again!