Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-25-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
JanN

Angry AT&T Cell Phone Service in Meredith?

Can you tell me if AT&T has provided any cell phone service to the Meredith area or any service to the north side of the lake? For the past four years we have been vacationing off of Stonedam Island Road on Meredith Neck and cannot get any cell phone coverage. I usually have to drive down Parade Rd heading toward Laconia before I can get a signal. Our friends have Verizon and have no trouble. What do people with expensive IPods do?
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Roaming

Granted I am not down Meredith neck too often but I have no problem with ATT in Meredith (except for the deadspot on 104 that I think everyone has regardless of service). Is your roaming feature on?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Newbiesaukee

We are on Long Island in Moultonborough and do not consistently get anything altho Verizon works most of the time. Our guests can rarely get AT&T here or at other areas on the north side of the lake.

My daughter, who has an I-phone, rarely gets service here.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
robmac

I have Verizon and am in Meridith and never lose cell reception around the lake.My friends have other providers and do seem to lose it in and around certain araes of the lake region.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
no-engine

AT&T 3G service for the iPhone is virtually non-existent north of NH/MA border. At the AT&T store in Rockingham Mall, the reps said very true.
However, a gentleman working at the Apple Store lives in Manchester, and reported 3G serice is stronger and on/off aroiund the area. I've had visitors with iPhone and they are very frustrated - dropped calls, \etc.

I've been watching the rumor forums as my Verizon contract as a few months remaining and I'd like an iPhone. I've been with VZW for over dozen years; I agree and have had few issues. The cell tower is right south from Meredith, on the mountain.

Changes are coming among all the providers and the hardware, starting summer to end of year. Sorry to be of little help for immediate plans.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
jetskier

Post Coverage Viewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
AT&T 3G service for the iPhone is virtually non-existent north of NH/MA border. At the AT&T store in Rockingham Mall, the reps said very true.
However, a gentleman working at the Apple Store lives in Manchester, and reported 3G serice is stronger and on/off aroiund the area. I've had visitors with iPhone and they are very frustrated - dropped calls, \etc.

I've been watching the rumor forums as my Verizon contract as a few months remaining and I'd like an iPhone. I've been with VZW for over dozen years; I agree and have had few issues. The cell tower is right south from Meredith, on the mountain.

Changes are coming among all the providers and the hardware, starting summer to end of year. Sorry to be of little help for immediate plans.
Here is the coverage viewer for AT&T:

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

There is a little coverage via a partner, but Meredith is pretty much a dead zone. So much for America's best 3G network, huh?

I have found Verizon to have great coverage throughout the lakes region; AT&T Wireless coverage is pretty much lousy.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
Ropetow

We have AT&T and there is no coverage in Alton or in the Bay....need to get close to Wolfeboro to get anything. We are thinking about getting one of those pre-paid cell phones and keep it on the boat. Anyone know what brand of those phones (Trackphone, etc.) works best on that end of the lake? I know nothing about those phones but will research them to see what carriers each brand uses. What carrier is recommended for the Alton Bay end of the lake?
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ropetow View Post
We have AT&T and there is no coverage in Alton or in the Bay....need to get close to Wolfeboro to get anything. We are thinking about getting one of those pre-paid cell phones and keep it on the boat. Anyone know what brand of those phones (Trackphone, etc.) works best on that end of the lake? I know nothing about those phones but will research them to see what carriers each brand uses. What carrier is recommended for the Alton Bay end of the lake?
I could be wrong, but I think you can get prepaid from Verizon. We specifically went with Verizon because of their coverage at the lake, and is the reason why I refuse to even consider an iPhone. I'm hoping to try out a Blackberry Storm (Verizon) on my employer's dime...don't you think that's an appropriate phone for a weather weenie?
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:16 AM   #9
Skip

Thumbs up Verizon & Blackberry Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
I could be wrong, but I think you can get prepaid from Verizon. We specifically went with Verizon because of their coverage at the lake, and is the reason why I refuse to even consider an iPhone. I'm hoping to try out a Blackberry Storm (Verizon) on my employer's dime...don't you think that's an appropriate phone for a weather weenie?
Hi Rose,

I bought a Storm for my side business....I absolutely love it. I will also confirm what others have said, no one has better coverage in NH than Verizon.

And yes, the Storm is a must for a weather weenie....
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:41 AM   #10
The Eagle

Default AT&T vs Verizon

I had AT&T and it was horrible at the lake. We could never get any service out on the lake, (we'd go over to Rattlesnake Island to visit a relative, and could not call her to say we were on our way) or get coverage in many areas. I switched to Verizon, and have never missed nor dropped a call. Here's a great "Tip," My daughter works for Verizon Wireless IN the Nashua Mall Store (her name's Katie, if anyone want to switch, Please ask for her) however, she hooked my up with one of those "wireless things," (I'm not real computer savy on terms) but I can get the internet ANYWHERE, and it's awesome. I am using it now out on the deck, but can use it on the boat, at the beach, and I even used it in the car (when my wife drove) all the way up here. It's not expensive at all, and well worth the price, if you come up and need internet service. It's the best thing I have ever got!
"The Eagle"
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:08 AM   #11
codeman671

Here on Mark in Gilford (a stone's throw to Meredith) I can get a little bit of coverage outside but nothing in the house. I have to tie into my wireless router to get data access and I can pretty much forget calls.

My friend with Verizon has great coveraage here. In Dover my AT&T is great, but if Verizon had better phone options at that time I may have considered them. I use a Tilt now which is not necessarily known for its reception but it is great for data handling.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 06:09 AM   #12
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
I had AT&T and it was horrible at the lake. We could never get any service out on the lake, (we'd go over to Rattlesnake Island to visit a relative, and could not call her to say we were on our way) or get coverage in many areas. I switched to Verizon, and have never missed nor dropped a call. Here's a great "Tip," My daughter works for Verizon Wireless IN the Nashua Mall Store (her name's Katie, if anyone want to switch, Please ask for her) however, she hooked my up with one of those "wireless things," (I'm not real computer savy on terms) but I can get the internet ANYWHERE, and it's awesome. I am using it now out on the deck, but can use it on the boat, at the beach, and I even used it in the car (when my wife drove) all the way up here. It's not expensive at all, and well worth the price, if you come up and need internet service. It's the best thing I have ever got!
"The Eagle"
My experience is the same as The Eagle. I have a Verizon wireless card for my laptop and a Storm. Both work great all around the lake. Speed actually is very close to my wired Metrocast.

I don't use the Storm for much "internet" but it is very fast for my company VPN and email applications.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default Hmm looks like Verizon is king of the LR

I guess in my travels I have not noted a real issue in Meredith with ATT, but usually I am just on the main roads headed to and from Mboro. From this thread and what I have heard others saying, it sound like Verizon is the superior Winni service.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:22 AM   #14
Merrymeeting

Quote:
We have AT&T and there is no coverage in Alton or in the Bay
I have AT&T and have had no problems with my phone in Alton or the Bay area.

I travel overseas a lot so Verizon is not as attractive an option as most other countries around the world use GSM, which AT&T uses. I've heard that Verizon will be finally changing their network over the next few years.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
JanN

Default Thanks

Thanks for your helpful replies. It pretty much verifies what we thought.
JanN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
Kerk

Wink Verizon

I have verizon Cell phone only on Cow Island and works well enough to get rid of Fairpoint and there UN authorized charges. JMHO
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:41 AM   #17
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Hi Rose,

I bought a Storm for my side business....I absolutely love it. I will also confirm what others have said, no one has better coverage in NH than Verizon.

And yes, the Storm is a must for a weather weenie....
Thanks, Skip. I'll have to go see the appropriate people at work quick as lightning. Hopefully, they won't rain on my parade. If they do, I'll ask "What the hail?"

Sorry...I couldn't resist...Groan.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #18
Ropetow

Does the Storm (or other Blackberries) have wi-fi access? Or are you using your cell carrier for Internet access, even when you are in a wi-fi hotspot?
Old 04-26-2009, 01:35 PM   #19
Smitty1

The Storm does not have wifi. Rumor is in September there will be a new Storm with Wifi.
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #20
jellybean

The Blackberry storm doesn't have Wi-fi. But I'm an IT manager, and I've found it to be a pretty decent iPhone alternative in this area. I have a little netbook that I use for Wi-fi.

A comment on AT&T - while it works in Alton, it's really spotty inside buildings and such right downtown. Still very weak here compared to Verizon.
jellybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #21
Old Hubbard Rd

Default At&t

I had Verizon for years and hated the service. Verizon did not work at my main residence just outside of Boston and either at my Meredith Lakefront home. I switched to AT&T 2 years ago and have wonderful service everywhere even Meredith NH!!
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #22
KBoater

Unhappy Verizon WIreless over the phone

I ‘m house bound and spent over an hour on the phone with Verizon Wireless being passed from person to person and hang-ups. I use Verizon pay as you go and need a new phone. I’ve been with Verizon for years since they are the best in NH and FL for coverage. They have all new plans and phones but all I want is a talk phone (no camera or music) to my land friends. The phone is just for emergencies. I guess I will start my search over this week at a store when I can get there. Over the phone ,Verizon passed me to an out of country person who wanted my Social # and my drivers license.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #23
wifi

Default US Cellular

Not to be discounted, US Cellular has excellent coverage in the area as well.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:02 AM   #24
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default See, the problem is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater View Post
I ‘m house bound and spent over an hour on the phone with Verizon Wireless being passed from person to person and hang-ups. I use Verizon pay as you go and need a new phone. I’ve been with Verizon for years since they are the best in NH and FL for coverage. They have all new plans and phones but all I want is a talk phone (no camera or music) to my land friends. The phone is just for emergencies. I guess I will start my search over this week at a store when I can get there. Over the phone ,Verizon passed me to an out of country person who wanted my Social # and my drivers license.
...that the corporate world decides what we want and don't want, and as a result you are hard placed to find "just a phone".

I use my phone mainly for telephone, and could care less about the camera. When it is time to replace, I usually will just go for one of those "free" phones that only takes a two year commitment which are as about as basic as you can get. Between my wife and I, we use the phone enough to have a plan, and share the minutes.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #25
Moss Creek Media

Someone told me that AT&T was at the Meredith planning board meeting last night, looking to add service to an existing tower.

Can anyone confirm this? Or know more details?

Kirk
Moss Creek Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #26
no-engine

I want an iPhone for variety of reasons. Can't have one as long as ATT signals are so bad!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:45 PM   #27
Moss Creek Media

I've got an iphone and get 5 bars at my house (near Bobby's Girl Diner) but I can see the tower on the hill near Exit 23.

When I signed up for it at the Apple store, AT&T wouldn't approve the address, so I used my old Manchester address. Then after buying it, ran upstairs to the AT&T store and had them change my address back to my real one. So stupid.

At the time I had T-Mobile and always had "Cingular" as the carrier it picked up at the house, so I knew it was fine.

I lose the signal heading down 104 into Meredith (dies after the trading post, comes back after the old Jackson Star shopping plaza).

Hopefully they'll put a tower in that dead spot.

Kirk
Old 06-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #28
Argie's Wife

Have you considered getting a signal booster for your car?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #29
no-engine

Default At&t

So therefore, when my VZW, with Razr phone, contract ends 8/31, maybe signals will be better and I'll go for iPhone. I am in Meredith, and between there & Gilford all the time, as well as around Lake.
People visiting in Gilford had constant dropped calls.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #30
Moss Creek Media

I get service from Center Harbor to Meredith, and down towards Pirate's Cove Golf. Then it's lost until I get close to Weirs Beach, but fades out going into Gilford. I get service in the Walmart parking lot, but not over by Lowes or Shaws.

It's pretty random.

Quote:
So therefore, when my VZW, with Razr phone, contract ends 8/31, maybe signals will be better and I'll go for iPhone. I am in Meredith, and between there & Gilford all the time, as well as around Lake.
People visiting in Gilford had constant dropped calls.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #31
Ropetow

Quote:
I want an iPhone for variety of reasons. Can't have one as long as ATT signals are so bad!
I was in the same boat that you are, and got a BlackBerry Storm through Verizon. An iPhone would have been ideal, but not with ATT. For what it's worth....When I called to cancel my ATT service, I told them why, they checked their whatever, and came back saying that yes, they really did not have good service in the Alton part of the lake.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #32
woodynh

Default ATT Service

I have both. I got Verizon for personal and ATT for work. Verizon has coverage pretty much everywhere. If you using ATT for just phone service the coverage isn't too bad. They use Unicell and an area code must be dialed for every number but I get signal pretty much everywhere from Gilford up to Moultonboro. I really don't venture out to Alton or Wolfboro much so not sure how the coverage is there.

The problem with ATT is when you are trying to use internet capabilities. This is where there coverage is terrible up here. My 3G card in my computer doesn't work anywhere.
woodynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 05:07 PM   #33
Sal

Verizon's signal is very good at or near Buzzel Cove. I've got a Palm Treo phone with internet service. With a program, free from Verizon, I can hook my phone up to my laptop and get the internet on the laptop (for an additional fee of $10 or $15 a month).
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #34
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Verizon's signal is very good at or near Buzzel Cove. I've got a Palm Treo phone with internet service. With a program, free from Verizon, I can hook my phone up to my laptop and get the internet on the laptop (for an additional fee of $10 or $15 a month).
Or, you can try this and avoid the monthly fee (one-time charge of about $50)

http://www.tetherberry.com/
Old 06-15-2009, 06:44 AM   #35
chipj29

Quote:
I was in the same boat that you are, and got a BlackBerry Storm through Verizon. An iPhone would have been ideal, but not with ATT. For what it's worth....When I called to cancel my ATT service, I told them why, they checked their whatever, and came back saying that yes, they really did not have good service in the Alton part of the lake.
I had the same exact experience with AT&T several years ago. I called to cancel due to no reception at my house, they checked, and agreed and let me cancel without having to pay the termination fee.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #36
Old Hubbard Rd

Default At&t

I LOVE MY AT&T SERVICE. I had Verizon and Nextell and nothing compares to my AT&T service. When I had Verizon I never had service nreception at either my Meredith home nor my Massachusetts home. I very rarely have issues since switching 2 years ago.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #37
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Default AT&T on the Mount

I have had AT&T for several years, they are always adding new service areas. Everytime I visit the lake, we stop at Hart's Turkey Farm and then drive down to Meredith. I have no issues with my service, even inside the restaurant. I have even been able to talk the whole trip on the Mount on Sunday mornings, from the Weirs down to Alton Bay and back. I have had issues on 104 coming into Meredith, but no issues at the lake or at Christmas Island if we stay there.
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #38
wifi

Default Coverage map

If you pop a zip code into AT&T coverage map found here . You can see that outside a few hot areas, such as around the WLNH tower and a few spots coming up 93, all the other coverage is by 'partner' agreements. AT&T and Unicel use GSM, Verizon uses CDMA (Verizon bought Unicel in NH).

Your coverage on AT&T in these partner areas are dependent on being in range of a Unicel(Verizon) tower that still supports GSM.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM   #39
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
AT&T and Unicel use GSM, Verizon uses CDMA (Verizon bought Unicel in NH).

Your coverage on AT&T in these partner areas are dependent on being in range of a Unicel(Verizon) tower that still supports GSM.
It may be more accurate to state that AT&T supports GSM, the worlds most widely used protocol, while Verizon continues to push their outdated, almost exclusively-US solution.

Standardization can't come soon enough to this market

(and no, I have no connection to any mobile vendor. Just a frustrated international business traveler who constantly has to live with the compromise between Verizon having the best domestic coverage while GSM is best while traveling elsewhere)
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #40
Moss Creek Media

I heard CDMA was a better network (quality & speed). But GSM is the most used protocol in the world. When the US rushed to rebuild Iraq part of it was to build CDMA cell towers, but Iraq told the US to 'stuffit' and went with GSM so that they could communicate with the surrounding countries.

I've always used GSM based phones, because there are more options. And I can't stand Verizon and their crippling function tactics on their phones (like they did with Bluetooth so you had to send pictures via SMS)

What's most frustrating is that the US is the toilet of cellphone technology. We barely have 3 megapixel cameras in our phones and in South Korea, they get tv reception 10megapixel and incredible high speed data transfers.

Here, we're happy when Apple goes from 2mp to 3mp on the iPhone (such a joke) Oh and the new iPhone 3GS can "do video" (something a jailbroken iPhone 3G could do a year ago)

Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
It may be more accurate to state that AT&T supports GSM, the worlds most widely used protocol, while Verizon continues to push their outdated, almost exclusively-US solution.

Standardization can't come soon enough to this market

(and no, I have no connection to any mobile vendor. Just a frustrated international business traveler who constantly has to live with the compromise between Verizon having the best domestic coverage while GSM is best while traveling elsewhere)
Old 10-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #41
Lucky1

Default Verizon works well for me.

I use it in the North at the lake and in the South in FL. Have had no trouble and I am in a condo here in FL with all kinds of cement etc. Anyone else have trouble with Fair Point?
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #42
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I use it in the North at the lake and in the South in FL. Have had no trouble and I am in a condo here in FL with all kinds of cement etc. Anyone else have trouble with Fair Point?
In my line of work I travel most of the state. Verizon's phone coverage is very good, even up north. When I vacation in Florida Verizon works great there also.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #43
Lakegeezer

It would be nice to have AT&T wireless support in the lakes region, only because the iPhone is supported only by them. Verizon coverage is good, but their "smart phones" leave a lot to be desired, especially when it comes to web access and additional apps. Hopefully Verizon will convince Apple to come aboard - or AT&T will invest in NH.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:50 AM   #44
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
It would be nice to have AT&T wireless support in the lakes region, only because the iPhone is supported only by them. Verizon coverage is good, but their "smart phones" leave a lot to be desired, especially when it comes to web access and additional apps. Hopefully Verizon will convince Apple to come aboard - or AT&T will invest in NH.
I have a "smart phone" on Verizon and it works just as good, if not better than offerings from AT&T. Wifi aside, I've put my phone up against the Iphone for a speed test (in downtown Boston, loading websites, youtube clips, etc) and my VZ smartphone outperformed the Iphone by a landslide.

While I agree the Iphone is slick, I would prefer better coverage to be able to make phone calls, since, when you break down all of the apps and stuff, cell phones are made to be used as phones. Everything else is just fluff!!!!

Just my $0.02
Old 10-26-2009, 11:23 AM   #45
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Everything else is just fluff!!!!

Just my $0.02
But that's the POINT of the iPhone, isn't it?

Have your music collection, videos, cell phone, camera, camcorder, gaming device, TV remote, alarm clock, calendar, GPS, text mgs device, email, internet, Bluetooth device, radio, voice recorder, workout coach, open source app device, etc. ALL in ONE place... well... that's just cool. And if it's cool fluff, then I like (and want) fluff. (But then I do a lot of work in multimedia)...

I wish AT&T was better in this area... or I wish the jailbroken iPhones worked with the Verizon network better... either way.... I hope it's a reality sometime soon...
Old 10-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #46
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default ATT, Sprint vs Verizon

I had AT&T and my gf had Sprint when we move up here several years ago. We had terrible coverage North of Concord, NH. Since we have switched to Verizon wireless we had wonderful service. If you purchase a phone that has dual coverage analog/digital, it is handy in the White Mountains and in Maine.

As for service, I have better luck calling the 800 number than going to an independent Verizon retailer. There is a big retail outlet owned by verizon in Nashua. It has fantastic service and sales. All mobile devices are on display. You can bring your laptop in to see if the wireless modem will work.

If you call by phone and request an account manager for whatever large corporation you work for, you can get a 15% Discount on service and 25% discount on phone and accessories.

The only complaint I have with Verizon are the constant changes in wireless packages. I usually lock in to a 2 year plan to get a free phone and the 'New every Two' plan. When I find they have a new plan that gives better coverage and or better price, I make a phone call. They will switch to the new plan at no extra cost.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:58 AM   #47
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

Have your music collection, videos, cell phone, camera, camcorder, gaming device, TV remote, alarm clock, calendar, GPS, text mgs device, email, internet, Bluetooth device, radio, voice recorder, workout coach, open source app device, etc. ALL in ONE place... well... that's just cool. And if it's cool fluff, then I like (and want) fluff. (But then I do a lot of work in multimedia)...
My Phone also has all of that....including a removable/replaceable battery, expandable memory, appstore....$0.03.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM   #48
Loony Singer

Default Be Careful with Verizon Prepaid!

We have had a Verizon contract for the past two years, and the service up at the Lake (end of Moultonboro Neck) has been good. But, being recently retired, we are looking for a way to cut our cell phone bill, since we don't use them all that much.

I went to a Verizon store and they suggested one of their prepaid plans (I think they have two of them), BUT...here's the rub...their prepaid phones don't use the same network as their regular contract phones, so the coverage isn't exactly the same! In fact, their coverage map shows that the prepaid phones won't work where we live, a fact verified by the Verizon rep in their store.

Don't know the technical reason for this, but it's definitely something to be aware of. Which brings me back to a question asked earlier in this thread, but never answered: does anyone know of a prepaid vendor with good service around the north side of the Lake??
Loony Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #49
wifi

Check with US Cellular, they are the other big provider up here. Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will.. ), but I believe prepaid won't use roaming partners, where contract rates are the OR of your provider and their roaming partners, it makes business sense.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:38 AM   #50
SIKSUKR

That was how I understood it works Wifi.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #51
John A. Birdsall

Default cell coverage

I was headed to the lake up rt 125 when I read a billboard, Welcome, you are now in AT&T Wireless Country. At that spot I lost my at&t coveraage.

However, my sister has Verison and cannot always get coverage at the lake.

Thus At& T should put a tower up on top of MT Major and have it look like a pine tree. there is a pine tree that sticks up on the south ridge of Mt. Major.
With one up there I should be able to get Florida without any problems.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:47 PM   #52
jetskier

Post Interesting

Verizon coverage is very good around the lake. I have Verizon and no issues with coverage around the lake. The coverage maps from Verizon Wireless show digital coverage throughout the lakes region. AT&T Wireless is the pits. I used to work for Alcatel and AT&T Wireless was a large customer. As such, all the corporate cell phones were AT&T Wireless. I used to lose coverage at the intersection of route 3 and route 495 in Chelmsford.

AT&T Wireless has some cool handsets, but their network is poor both in coverage and speed. AT&T Wireless is spending on implementing HSPA as an interim play. They will not be doing LTE for quite a while, so their network will continue to lag Verizon Wireless.

If I had to have AT&T Wireless, I would put a femto cell in my house for coverage.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 PM   #53
gf2020

The original message was from 6 months ago so I suppose the vacationer has already come and gone. I have AT&T for cellular and I have noticed a few dead spots while looking at property in the Meredith area in the late summer; including a lack of coverage on Meredith Neck.

AT&T has a huge dead zone in the area to the south of the lake; from Alton down to Epsom there is basically no AT&T cellular coverage.

You can look more closely here: http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 PM   #54
Argie's Wife

Quote:
My Phone also has all of that....including a removable/replaceable battery, expandable memory, appstore....$0.03.
Free apps, too?
Old 10-28-2009, 05:45 AM   #55
CL 240 LS

Default Which "Smart Phone" ?

Quote:
Ryan, would you share which phone you have?

I have been thinking of getting one soon. I have Verizon wireless phone service now and it works great all around the lake, have not noticed any dead zones.
CL 240 LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:30 AM   #56
Ropetow

Quote:
Free apps, too?
Yes, I have some free apps on my Verizon Wireless CrackBerry Storm...mostly news and sports and weather apps. Darn little time for gaming. )-: While the iPhone is far slicker, this works for me....and handles e-mail better than the iPhone, which is no surprise since that was CrackBerry's thing for a long long time. And...it works Great on the lake. ATT phone next to useless especially in Alton area....can't be used as a phone and too light for an anchor.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #57
ApS

Quote:
We have AT&T and...need to get close to Wolfeboro to get anything...Anyone know what brand of those phones (Trackphone, etc.) works best on that end of the lake...?"
My Tracfone is OK, but it doesn't work at my cottage!

Last edited by ApS; 11-04-2009 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Delete [boating-only] signature...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #58
Lakegeezer

Motorola is coming out with the Droid today - based on Google's Android operating system. Verizon will be supporting it. Maybe that will be worth a try. The crackberry is not my cup of tea. AT&T could still win my business by putting an high-speed antenna in the lakes region.
Old 10-28-2009, 11:10 AM   #59
Ryan

Quote:
Free apps, too?
Free apps too!
Old 10-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #60
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL 240 LS View Post
Ryan, would you share which phone you have?

I have been thinking of getting one soon. I have Verizon wireless phone service now and it works great all around the lake, have not noticed any dead zones.
I also have the Blackberry Storm. Verizon just released the Storm2 today. While I will say RIM rushed the Storm to the market last November, they have recently upgraded the Operating System, which really improved the phone.

If you do not want a touchscreen phone, the Blackberry Tour is very similar to the Storm and Storm 2.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #61
VtSteve

It's all in where you are. I just switched to an iPhone, and AT&T, from Verizon. My Razr was the worst phone I've had in 15 plus years of cell phones, only made worse by having our spotty Verizon service where I am. Verizon chose not to have a strong signal in what is the state's largest population. Not everywhere, but in the bay, North of the city, and in many parts of the interstate. If it were the reverse, I'd have to make the opposite decision for practical reasons.

I used a Storm for a week. No thanks. I'm very happy to be rid of Verizon's voice mail. The best part of it is this. I needed a new iPod, and I was very impressed with the Navionics app with marine GPS software for the lake. It made me a little angry that in many respects, the iPhone app was better than the new Garmin 440 I had just bought.

Vermont has no 3G network as of yet, hopefully by next summer. In spite of that, it's been pretty good on the Edge network, which Blackberry's have used for some time on AT&T.

The problem with Verizon getting the iPhone is many. One, Verizon needs to switch from CDMA. Verizon has adopted GSM for their 4G buildout, which is underway, and won't be completed for some time. Possibly next year, but not everywhere. One of the major stumbling blocks for all phone makers with Verizon is their inherent crippling of the headsets. I have used Vcast service, something I never want to deal with again. Their network is not setup for visual voicemail, a capability which AT&T added specifically for the iPhone.

My bill is now $30 a month higher than it was with my Verizon plan, but I had no data plan with Verizon. My AT&T plan is also 250 minutes more, and has rollover minutes, which Verizon does not have. So all in all, it's actually cheaper. Had I not purchased the Garmin unit, I would have a new phone, GPS, compass, mini computer, camera, and phone plus iPod in one item. Very satisfied customer
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:40 PM   #62
hazelnut

Quote:

I wish AT&T was better in this area... or I wish the jailbroken iPhones worked with the Verizon network better... either way.... I hope it's a reality sometime soon...
EXACTLY! That is why I personally just dumped my archaic blackberry pearl for the IPhone. I have never been happier with a purchase in my whole life. I have had it for a week and the difference is incredible. The phone, the apps, the texting the GPS, I could go on. I can't believe I waited this long. I have 32 gigs worth of storage and I am loading it up with all my music. Not to mention the web browsing. So slick and so fast!!! I can not say enough about this phone.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:22 PM   #63
GuitarCrazyo

Default AT Cell Phone Service in Meredith

Were on AT&T too and dont have any problems and our coverage is significantly better than with Sprint/Nextel.

Karen, if you dont mind saying, what was the problem? Customer service at a local store or coverage or something totally different? It would seem a lot of the satisfaction is based on coverage and it can vary greatly. We had an issue on our bill once and it was taken care without much ado.
GuitarCrazyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #64
robmac

I still can't find better than Verizon ( no I don't work or gain income from them ) just MHO
Old 11-03-2009, 07:59 PM   #65
trfour

Default AT&T vs. Verizon: There's a Lawyer for that...

Interesting article out at cnet.com; http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-10...orsPicksArea.0

I've had great service here in the Lakes Region and around the US. No affiliation with Verizon other than being a happy customer.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #66
VtSteve

Verizon has a good network. They put themselves behind the 8-ball by sticking with CDMA as long as they did, it made for an expensive upgrade, which will go on for some time now.

What they had in strength of nationwide coverage, they lacked in both people skills and user interface. Their phones are absolutely crippled, to the extent that to get the same features in an identical phone on another network, the prices are prohibitive. They had to relax them a bit for the Droid phone, hopefully a sign of things to come.

AT&T needs to improve coverage, no doubt, and they are. They also went out on a limb and listened, something Verizon rarely does. I love the carryover minutes, and the plan changes and customizing online is much easier and better than Verizon, forgiving as well.

Verizon also has positive perception going for them, AT&T has negative perception. My niece and nephew both stated the negative claims repeated above many times about AT&T. Depending on where you are, they may be true. But when they switched, they found their AT&T service was fantastic.

I get the same thing over here. AT&T sucks, (repeat many times). But My Verizon service sucked, and I said so. (does that surprise anyone?)

But now I have much better services, and occasionally, someone will break with the ranks and say their Verizon service sucks as well. Is their an electric shock delivered or something? Having AT&T service improved in the LR would be awesome. The Navionics app is really a great one, and it's ten bucks.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #67
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
My niece and nephew both stated the negative claims repeated above many times about AT&T. Depending on where you are, they may be true. But when they switched, they found their AT&T service was fantastic.
That was also our experience.

I had the family plan with Verizon with 4 phones. They worked great in Boston but when we moved 12 miles outside of Boston we were surprised that the Verizon phones didn't work at all at our new house or around town.

As we followed our daughter around to basketball games in neighboring towns we were also frustrated that the Verizon phones rarely worked. People sitting next to us with AT&T or other phones had no trouble.

Over time we noticed that many of our friends could get cell calls at our house. Many of them had AT&T phones.

Finally our Verizon plan expired and we switched to AT&T. We get great reception at our house and everywhere we go in the area. We've also never have trouble at the lake although the Verizon phones worked for us there as well.

One of our kid's friend's parents is a big shot at Verizon Wireless. They don't even use Verizon phones for their family. They have tMobile so they can actually use them in our town.

The joke about Verizon around our town is "Can you hear me now?" No. "Can you hear me now?" No. "Can you hear me now?" No.

I know Verizon has the best nationwide coverage but in my neck of the woods it's terrible.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 04:35 PM   #68
Moss Creek Media

I was over at Walmart today and had 5 bars of AT&T inside the store.

I forgot to check by Lowes & Shaws that was the dead spot, but I'm sure it's better now.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #69
trfour

The good news on cell phones and cancer.

from zdnet; http://healthcare.zdnet.com/?p=3069&tag=wrapper;col1

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 12-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #70
6meter

All out on Meredith Neck I couldn't get a signal. Went to Verizon and works fine. Actually, it hasn't failed a signal or dropped a call in 3 years.
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #71
trfour

Default AT&T's Wireless Chief...

news; http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=28314&tag=wrapper;col1

Also, iPhone security news, Credit zdnet.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5...g=content;col1

Last edited by trfour; 12-11-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Repair Link
Old 10-06-2010, 07:05 PM   #72
Argie's Wife

Default Verizon goes iPhone!

Yeeeesssss!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...o&mod=yahoo_hs
Old 10-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #73
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

And just the other day I was telling my wife that it is about time to upgrade my 4 year old Verizon phone.

The market liked the news, from an AP report:
Quote:
Apple's stock increased 25 cents to close Wednesday at $289.19.
Verizon shares rose 28 cents to $33.36, and AT&T's stock lost 32 cents to $28.62
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:02 PM   #74
no-engine

Default Fyi

AT&T signals keep improving on north half of Lake, even Wolfeboro along 109 to Moultonboro, and to Meredith. Like anything there are spots of weak signals.
I was recently told that AT&T has receivers/transmitters (do we say tower) inside the fake "lighthouse" at top of the development called "Meredith Bay" even though in Laconia. Formerly the top of Brickyard Ski Area!

I was a long time 15-year Verizon Wireless user as they used top of Belknap Mountain, but a year ago, I decided I wanted iPhone for reasons not the telephone; I gambled and signals are far better than year ago! I am not sure if I'd go back to VZW if they had an iPhone soon: several homes out of state (MD) do not get a VZW signal, but two miles away they do. Thus, AT&T is great at those spots, in MD and a few other places I go to.

No carrier has reception from Alton to Gilford sections of roads.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:29 PM   #75
patman

Quote:
Yeeeesssss!
Then again...there's this:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/mobile/...ex.html?hpt=T2

Just because Verizon is going to sell iPhones doesn't mean they'll work everywhere on the existing network and towers...
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #76
robmac

I am very happy with my Verizon service and plan on upgrading to the I-phone as soon as it becomes available.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:48 AM   #77
VtSteve

Here's a revised version. Apparently the paper didn't generate enough trades

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/10/...ce=yahoo_quote

Originally, Verizon insisted that the iPhone be what all of their phones are, crippled, and tied to unpopular services.

There would be no visual voice mail, Vcast over iTunes, etc...

Hopefully, that changed. The IOS is a system, not a helter-skelter mix of rushed services. It shows.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #78
Argie's Wife

If Verizon was smart they'd just offer VCast as an app. If people prefer it, they'll buy it (more $) and use it vs. using iTunes/Music apps on the iPhone. The music app on the iPhone (or iPod Touch) isn't the most user friendly app in the world - I prefer iTunes - but VCast is clunky, at best.

And visual voice mail...? Not sure how popular that feature is for folks; I prefer to text. Give me a responsive keyboard on a touch screen and I'm happy. I currently have an LG Chocolate Touch with Verizon and I was okay with it until I got my iPod Touch. Then I realized how cumbersome and unresponsive it is in comparison to the iPod.

By the way, we have new cell towers going up in Alton very soon... curious to see how that will impact service here....
Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 AM   #79
VtSteve

The voice mail feature was one of my favs. After dealing with Verizon's kludgey system for years, I was happy to leave. I can play the ones I want, delete the ones I don't, listen later. I don't know how Verizon has done with voice mail on the newer phones.

Vcast was just another controlling moment in Verizon's history. The trouble with Verizon controlling how the UI works, is that they're not very good at it. I find using iPod on the phone to be as good as it was on older iPods, just with no click wheel.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:39 AM   #80
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
The voice mail feature was one of my favs. After dealing with Verizon's kludgey system for years, I was happy to leave. I can play the ones I want, delete the ones I don't, listen later. I don't know how Verizon has done with voice mail on the newer phones.

Vcast was just another controlling moment in Verizon's history. The trouble with Verizon controlling how the UI works, is that they're not very good at it. I find using iPod on the phone to be as good as it was on older iPods, just with no click wheel.
I've been using ribbit.com for my voicemail for the last year-ish. It has a bunch of features, but the one I really use it for is the voicemail to text transcription. After a caller leaves a message I get an SMS and/or an email with the message transcribed to text. I find it far easier to read my voicemails than to listen to someone who prattles on for a minute and a half. Plus, if the message is something that I can delegate to someone else to follow up on, I just forward the email (which also has a .wav attachment of the actual voicemail) directly from my phone.

My iPhone has the visual voicemail thing. I tried it once and then just left it unused.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #81
Gearhead

Quote:
By the way, we have new cell towers going up in Alton very soon... curious to see how that will impact service here....
Do tell, AW!!!

I live on the lower east side (no, the other one) and I could really use another tower nearby. Another place that doesn't have service is up at Sunset Lake by the Scout reservation. Every time we go there, I have to remember to shut off the phone, or it'll go dead.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #82
This'nThat

Quote:
Can you source this information?
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #83
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
Can you source this information?
The Baysider: http://www.newhampshirelakesandmount...ntroversy.html

And meeting minutes from the Alton ZBA starting in March, 2010.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #84
patman

They're heeeere...almost:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...adverizon.html

Verizon Wireless Offers iPad at Stores Nationwide on October 28

BASKING RIDGE, New Jersey and CUPERTINO, California—October 14, 2010—Verizon Wireless and Apple® today announced that iPad™ will be available at over 2,000 Verizon Wireless Stores nationwide beginning Thursday, October 28.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #85
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by patman View Post
They're heeeere...almost:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...adverizon.html

Verizon Wireless Offers iPad at Stores Nationwide on October 28

BASKING RIDGE, New Jersey and CUPERTINO, California—October 14, 2010—Verizon Wireless and Apple® today announced that iPad™ will be available at over 2,000 Verizon Wireless Stores nationwide beginning Thursday, October 28.
SURPRISE: AT&T will offer same. iPad on their network, which at this time seems better than VZW.

Latest versions of iPad do same thing as an iPhone, but no telephone. Books better, display imported photos far better, and other items better. I was in the new store in Mall of NH, Manchester, called Small Dog Electronics, headquartered in VT. Waitsfield.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:37 PM   #86
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I tried to enroll with AT&T because they are the only one available with a plan for our new ipad.......they would not take me because my credit card has a PO # .....they insist on a physical address.I replied that we do not get mail delivery where we live and anything addressed without the box number will be sent back..........didn't matter.
Soooooo,we finally got a real person at MC and changed our card to our physical address,then went through the whole enrollment process again and guess what......this time they would not enroll us because AT&T does not have a strong enough signal in Moultonborough.
Anybody want to buy my ipad?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:59 PM   #87
upthesaukee

Default They would find another reason...

I got an AT&T cell phone back when the store I worked in sold AT&T (it didn't matter where I lived since I worked for a retailer that sold their product). After about 4 years, I started getting emails and ads imploring me to upgrade to a new phone. After another four years, I was advised that soon my phone was not going to work with AT&T and I would have to upgrade or service would cease.
So, I immediately called customer service (I use that term very loosely) to upgrade. In less than a minute of conversation, the CSR told me because I lived in Alton, I could not have their service. I asked how long I had their service and she replied 8 years. I said that ATT had taken my money for 8 years with no problem, and now living in Alton was an issue. She said yes and so did her supervisor, and that if I was to move to Strafford Co NH or York Co ME, or any other ATT territory, they would be happy to help me.
I hung up, called Verizon, and have been happy ever since.

Sorry about your IPAD, Sam. I think it has a calculator function .
Old 10-17-2010, 10:14 PM   #88
gf2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post

...this time they would not enroll us because AT&T does not have a strong enough signal in Moultonborough.
Anybody want to buy my ipad?

Trade your AT&T iPad in for a Verizon one in a couple weeks. There is no AT&T 3G data coverage at the north end of the lake. I can get a 3G data signal on my iPhone in Gilford and Alton but that seems to be about it.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:36 AM   #89
wifi

Default "physical address" - pet peeve

There is absolutely no reason people need your physical address unless they are going to send someone around. I have the same thing with no mail at the house. If they demand a physical, I make 'em happy with the address of the post office and change the "PO Box" to "Apt", it works 90% of the time and passes credit card screening.

They can feel satisfied they can send some goons over, and I can feel satisfied they will find a nice brick bulding...
Old 10-18-2010, 05:42 AM   #90
Lakepilot

We often run into this situation also. Especially when talking to "customer service" in India.

To get around this we list our physical address and then on the next line our PO Box. That way if a company ships something FedEx it goes to the house, but if it's shipped Postal the post office knows to put it in the box.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #91
upthesaukee

Default zip+4

I was told by my local Post Office that if I didn't know how the order would arrive (UPS/FEDEX vs USPS), if I put my street address, 1 Main St for example, but put the ZIP+4 for my PO Box, UPS/FEDEX would deliver to my street and USPS would deliver to PO Box because USPS looks to ZIP+4 for definitive address info. So I started to do that.

What I found was that the Alton PO would send it down to the Bay PO, with a note on the front of the envelope saying "Alton Bay ?" and a stamp asking me to inform the sender what my correct address is .

You could try a similar thing with ATT, I guess. Just hope they don't send you anything.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #92
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I tried, but couldn't make them understand that I don't need the service here in Moultonborough because it works off my wireless.....I wanted it to travel so that we could check on lodging, road conditions, traffic, etc.
Good idea to trade for verizon. Definitely check it out.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #93
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
I tried, but couldn't make them understand that I don't need the service here in Moultonborough because it works off my wireless.....I wanted it to travel so that we could check on lodging, road conditions, traffic, etc.
Good idea to trade for verizon. Definitely check it out.
Keep in mind the Verizon version is a wifi iPad + a Verizon MiFi device for the Internet connection on the road. This can be a Good Thing, or a Bad Thing, depending on how you look at it. The MiFi can provide access to multiple devices, where the 3G iPad can only provide access to itself, BUT you also now have 2 devices to remember to bring, keep charged, etc. Overall the AT&T 3G iPad is probably more elegant, but the Verizon approach is more flexible.

If you just need an AT&T SIM for the iPad, contact me offline, I can give you an address to set the account up under.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #94
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
There is absolutely no reason people need your physical address unless they are going to send someone around. I have the same thing with no mail at the house. If they demand a physical, I make 'em happy with the address of the post office and change the "PO Box" to "Apt", it works 90% of the time and passes credit card screening.

They can feel satisfied they can send some goons over, and I can feel satisfied they will find a nice brick bulding...
Sorry, but this is just a tad too skeptical for reality.

The main reason the carriers are worried about your physical address is because of roaming fees. You'll notice that most common accounts allow for "free roaming" these days. Well, this isn't really "free", the carriers cross-bill each other for roaming service provided. For the most part, it comes out to a wash and it was easier for them to just jack up everyones rates to include a sort of flat monthly roaming surcharge, and not have to worry about cross-managing all the billing info.

However, if you end up with a LOT of roaming charges, you're costing the carrier real money every month. It's reasonable for them to assume that people will tend to use their phones at home (where most people also spend a fair amount of time). So, if your house is in an area where they don't have coverage and it goes into roaming mode, that makes your account negative value to them.

Nobody sends "goons" out to someones house to collect on a cellphone or cable bill. We have an automated way to ruin your credit and shove the account over to collections in society today. It's far more efficient.

Speaking of the roaming thing, one way to get out of a cellphone contract early with no fees (presuming you have a contract that allows for free roaming) is to find a spot where your phone has no coverage with your primary carrier. Go to that spot (bring a charger) and call up moviefone or some other toll-free number, and let the call run for several hours. Do this as frequently as possible. You'll end up costing the carrier a ton of money, and you'll normally get a nice contract cancellation letter from them.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #95
no-engine

The credit card, physical address and PO Box problems are getting more of an issue, mainly for security & fraud protection. I had same problems. AT&T on web says no service north, and therefore will not create an account. I do not get mail at house, as I use PO Box. Using the ZIP + 4 will provide some help, when buying anything on line. I work in a business that takes some phone orders; when we key in a c/c number, we are asked if card is present; we then need to enter the card's billing address, which is a fraud protection! It may be different than a shipping address! Same procedure is used when we have a damaged card.

Go to an AT&T store, a reseller like Small Dog Electronics, or Apple store, and there is not an issue, when buying an Apple data or phone device!
The work-arounds are pretty common sense.