Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 PM   #1
Aviatr

Default Struggling Economy..Why overpay?!?

Everyone knows how awful the economy is right now, so my question to everyone..Why would anyone...ANYONE...go to Jo Jo's Country Store in Moultonborough, on the Neck Road?

DO NOT GET ME WRONG, the deli counter is great, as well as the sandwhiches and bakery, but the owners are miserable, fake, rude to their customers and let's be honest people way over priced. There hasn't been one person thats gone into Jo Jo's are felt awful after leaving there due to the stupidly high bill for what...???

The tenderloin or filet migon at Jo Jo's goes for 19.99 Per pound. You can get the same piece of meat at Heath's (where the owners are friendly, considerate, and the food is reasonably priced), and its 10 minutes away.

Jo Jo's does have a great meat case like I mentioned prior, but everything else in the store is the exact same product as anywhere else, except way over priced.

I worked there during summers off from college and every thursday the owner would drive to Wal-mart in Gilford, come back to Jo Jo's with Wal-mart product, and mark the price up by sometimes 3 dollars!!!1

Ludachris.
Aviatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #2
twoplustwo

Default lots of people are willing to pay for convenience...

...which is why so many convenience stores do just fine, poor economy or not. For people way down the Neck, JoJo's is as convenient as it comes.

On the flip side, it's a shame when a place like Townsend's struggles to stay opened while having really decent prices for a store it's size.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Lakegeezer

Default Can't wait for opening day

Another complaint from a newbee? That's a lot of complaining for a second post on the forum. Nobody is forced to go to JoJos. As for me, I can't wait until they open, usually around the middle of April. That day in October when they close is like another leaf falling off the tree.

Sure, everything is at least a quarter (or more) more, but you save a buck in gas by not driving to Heaths. Its not the place to do the weekly grocery shopping, but for a few things needed quickly, its so nice not to have to face summer-time traffic on route 25.

The poster said "the owners are miserable, fake, rude to their customers". I have never seen evidence of that and I go there at least 2 time a week when they are open. Once in a while you might find the help a bit slow, but the owners are friendly, happy, real and nice to their customers. The poster worked there. Maybe it was the work habits that brought out a sour side of the owners. I've heard them say its hard to find good help.

As for the meat - you'd have to drive to the Meat House in Concord to get the quality of tips that JoJos offers, at about the same price. The meat at Heaths is not the same quality, unless extra chewing is your idea of quality. And the sandwiches are best around. The Subway at the end of the Neck road doesn't come close.

If JoJos marks up Walmart stuff by three bucks, so what. They are only open six months out of the year, so prices are going to be higher for things that are in demand. The rule of supply and demand still sort of works. If their prices were lower, people would buy more - but the owner gets to set the price, which impacts what sells, or what doesn't. There are times I have that "ripped off" feeling after leaving, but nobody is forcing me back, yet back I go. When I buy tips or a sandwich, I walk away with that "glad JoJos is here" feeling.
BroadHopper (03-24-2009), Newbiesaukee (03-22-2009), NHKathy (04-14-2009), NightWing (03-23-2009), Smitty1 (03-22-2009), wadden (03-24-2009), watrskir (04-24-2009)
Old 03-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #4
fatlazyless

...hey now...Heath's has very excellent meats, chicken and fish...plus every second Wednesday of the month, in Jan-Feb-Mar-Apr-May-Jun-Sep-Oct-Nov & Dec is Truckload Meat Sale Day!

I don't want to sound like a cheapie but their 1.79/lb ny sirloin, meat sale day steaks, are 1 1/2" thick, excellent.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
TomC

Default not even open yet...

seems kind of strange that this complaint surfaces now - 5 months since the last time the store was open. There must be another agenda to the original poster's complaint.

Jojos is expensive - we always make the "$20 a bag" comment (jokingly) whenever we go there. But one has to pay for convenience and no one forces anybody to shop there.

Russ (owner) has always been friendly to me and my children. Only once did I see him be "uncooperative" to a customer who was trying to return a bag of charcoal that went unused over the summmer (the receipt evidently was dated weeks before).. Russ said no, the guy became belligerent - over a $5 bag of Kingsford - and the conversation devolved into a NY/NH bashfest, culiminating in the ejection of the customer from the store... I sided with Russ in that case.

So, in short, don't go there if you don't want to....
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 AM   #6
Aviatr

Thumbs down

The poster said "the owners are miserable, fake, rude to their customers". I have never seen evidence of that and I go there at least 2 time a week when they are open. Once in a while you might find the help a bit slow, but the owners are friendly, happy, real and nice to their customers. The poster worked there. \

LG- First of all, so what if "im a newbee" because Ive lived on the lake for over 25 years, I may not be a geezer but still, I have been around.

LG- You must be unaware of who the owners are then, because anyone that has gone into Jo Jo's has have a poor experience with them.

Also, let me share a couple experiences that will most likely leave a bad taste in your mouth...

Theres a big cage of beach balls in the store. Once a family with two little children was ordering some meat from me at the counter, (of which FYI I was employee of the year 3 years in a row, so its not bas work habits) and one of their little boys (no older than 4) took a ball out and rolled it to his brother. The owner, came around from behind the register and screamed at these two little boys stating "this is not a gym!!!!!"

How about this one..

Anyone who has gone to Jo Jo's is aware that they keep a book at the register and you are allowed write down your bill if you happen to be a little short on money accidently or if something isn't working with a card etc...

So..Camp Tecumsche (located 500 feet down the road) always USED TO come into Jo Jo's for subs, and drinks. Not any more. The camp prohibits the campers from giving Jo Jo's a penny. You must want to know why? The main chef at the camp, who happens to be a black man, one Sunday morning went up the road to buy a Boston Sunday Globe went to the register to pay, realized he had forgotten his wallet. Mind you the only thing he was purchasing was the Globe, and he was a frequent customer due to the proximity of camp and the store (atleast 5 days a week). Upon realizing he didn't bring his wallet he asked the owner if he could put his name down in "the book" and he will pay him most likely later than day or in a day or two AT MOST. The owner immediatly grabbed the paper out of the mans hands and said "No, we don't do that". THAT was the reason I left Jo Jo's. Not poor work habbits like you ASSUMED.

I am a pilot and flight instructor, please don't talk to me about poor work habbits lake geezer.

cheers:
Aviatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
Orion

Default agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Another complaint from a newbee? That's a lot of complaining for a second post on the forum. Nobody is forced to go to JoJos. As for me, I can't wait until they open, usually around the middle of April. That day in October when they close is like another leaf falling off the tree.

Sure, everything is at least a quarter (or more) more, but you save a buck in gas by not driving to Heaths. Its not the place to do the weekly grocery shopping, but for a few things needed quickly, its so nice not to have to face summer-time traffic on route 25.

The poster said "the owners are miserable, fake, rude to their customers". I have never seen evidence of that and I go there at least 2 time a week when they are open. Once in a while you might find the help a bit slow, but the owners are friendly, happy, real and nice to their customers. The poster worked there. Maybe it was the work habits that brought out a sour side of the owners. I've heard them say its hard to find good help.

As for the meat - you'd have to drive to the Meat House in Concord to get the quality of tips that JoJos offers, at about the same price. The meat at Heaths is not the same quality, unless extra chewing is your idea of quality. And the sandwiches are best around. The Subway at the end of the Neck road doesn't come close.

If JoJos marks up Walmart stuff by three bucks, so what. They are only open six months out of the year, so prices are going to be higher for things that are in demand. The rule of supply and demand still sort of works. If their prices were lower, people would buy more - but the owner gets to set the price, which impacts what sells, or what doesn't. There are times I have that "ripped off" feeling after leaving, but nobody is forcing me back, yet back I go. When I buy tips or a sandwich, I walk away with that "glad JoJos is here" feeling.
I agree with all the points in Lakegeezers post. It's always been a very friendly place when we go. It is unfortunate when someone becomes a member of the forum just to post a message with a personal agenda. As we've seen with other similar posters in the forum, there is always a second side to every story.

As for meats, they are always great there and I've had many instances whereas meats purchased at Heaths go bad before the sell-by date and we handle them perfectly (iced cooler in the car/boat enroute to the fridge at camp).

I'll pay for the convenience and quality, thank you.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #8
ITD

Wow, never had a problem at Jo Jo's. The owner is always friendly. Didn't know about the "book", never needed a service like that, but I can see being selective with something like that or even stopping it because there are a lot of people who would take advantage of something like that. As far as the meat goes, Heath's meat is good, but Jo Jo's meat is 100X better. Finally, I don't blame the owner for getting mad at kids playing with a ball in the store. The parents should control their little buttercups. Rolling a ball across the floor makes it dirty and used, much harder to sell.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #9
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviatr View Post
LG- First of all, so what if "im a newbee" because Ive lived on the lake for over 25 years, I may not be a geezer but still, I have been around. I am a pilot and flight instructor, please don't talk to me about poor work habbits lake geezer.
We've seen quite a few forum newbees register, then see their first few posts be flames. That has gotten old and one of the regulars will often jump in to point that out.

There is nothing wrong with telling it like you see it, but it sure seems like you have an ax to grind as a former employee. Jojos can, and is being defended from a customers point of view. May we assume you are not a customer? Perhaps your work habits are good, so sorry for implying otherwise. There is surely more to the story.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
mneck1814

My family loves JoJo's! We have been known to make upwards of 2 or 3 trips a day. We don't keep the pantry very stocked at the lake so often times we just need one thing that we forgot so of course we will pay higher prices to only drive a mile up the road. It would be crazy to go all the way to Ctr. Harbor for a bag of ice. The subs are a little pricey but the roles are made fresh and to us that is worth it!

As often as our family goes to JoJo's we have never had a bad encounter with the owner or an employee, haven't even witnessed one with another customer. The example of the kid with the ball probably could have been handled a little nicer, but everyone knows how crazy that back corner of the store can get!

A little off topic but...I was over at the lake a couple weeks ago to check on camp and saw some workers working in the little building between JoJo's and the fire station. Anyone know if they are turning that into something? I believe I remember it being an ice cream stand many years ago.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
Seeker

Kept one of my boats at Quayside last year so had an opportunity to visit Jo-Jos to try their lobster roll based on reviews here. Absolutely the worst we've ever had. No taste whatsoever and LOADED with celery. No problem with service (albeit a little slow because many call in orders) or attitude.
That was our only experience but we won't be going back.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #12
Newbiesaukee

Lake Geezer pretty much summed up my feelings. I go to JoJos for convenience and do most of the rest of the shopping at Heath's ( for whose prices I also pay for convenience). I think JoJos lobster salad is pretty good when I am too lazy to make it myself. The staff and owners have never been anything but what I expect. I don't eat a lot of meat and then it is always steak. It is much better than Heaths (which is also good). All in all, I get what I pay for at JoJos and if some items are more than I expect or want to pay, I don't buy them. That is the beauty of our system. I don't always agree with the political comments on the sign outside...but again, I am not forced to buy there. As far as NH/MA/newbie/oldtimer....I never really get this argument as there are idiots and wonderful folks in all of these categories. But what do these issues have to do with a restaurant/food forum? I might be suspicious of a new poster with an apparent agenda beyond just food, but then, I can choose to believe it or not. That's the beauty and the risk of an open forum.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (03-22-2009), mneck1814 (03-22-2009), Rose (03-22-2009), wadden (03-24-2009), Waterbaby (03-22-2009)
Old 03-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
phoenix

Russ has owned the place( made major renovations) for ~ 30 years and over the time opened all year and at one point tried to compete with Heath's as a full service market with ad's in local papers , but went to summers only a few years ago. I use to live on the Neck and would go every day for coffee, paper and great chocolate chip muffins. He has stayed in business by offering a good product and higher prices but convenience of not having to drive to Center Harbor. I always believe when a store has stayed in business that long they must be doing something right and his lot is always full in the summer.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Ropetow

Quote:
Another complaint from a newbee? That's a lot of complaining for a second post on the forum.
We've been seeing a lot of that lately.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
neckdweller

I'm a couple miles past JoJo's so for me it's almost all about convenience, although my family does love the subs. If I'm somewhere "off neck", I'll get what I need but no way am I driving up to the end of the neck for milk, the paper or worms. Russ knows that many people feel the same way and he's got to make his money in a shorter amount of time since he closes up for the winter. Additionally, his employee costs can sometimes end up being more than he originally planned.

I do have to say that I will more often than not stop at any other store before JoJo's for items. This dates way back to the days when Buzz (Russ' brother) was working there and lets just say that he was improving profit margins in the meat department in ways that weren't all that customer friendly.
neckdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #16
wadden

Smile

I agree with mneck1814 - we love JoJos. We live close by and often find ourselves up there twice a day on weekends. Russ and Barb have always been friendly and accomodating to my family and guests, as have all of the help. We grill almost every night we are up at the lake in the summer, and JoJos meats are spectacular. The morning coffee is terrific, and Russ carries a good selection of the items I buy.

I highly recommend JoJos and personally can't wait until opening day - only one more month!!
wadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 PM   #17
jst_4_kiks

jojo's is a great summer place....has great meats....awesome subs for lunch....great breakfast items........saves sooo much time and is a great convenience to be on the neck.....can not wait til they open for the summer...always see lots of cars in the lot and always busy......

you pay the price for the location of this great store.....plus there are always out of state plates there so, no hating on the store that others of your own kind visit everyday.....

PM with any questions about marine repair
jst_4_kiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #18
Orion

Default what it's worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst_4_kiks View Post
........saves sooo much time and is a great convenience to be on the neck.......
And we all know that "time" at the Lake is PRICELESS!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
Pineedles

Default Heath's Quality?

I haven't shopped at Jo Jo's but I guess I have to question the negative comments about Heath's meat quality. We've been shopping there for years and have never had a quality issue with them before. However, if there is an issue, perhaps others should post their problems here too. As we have said in many other threads, it is this kind of feedback that business owners need in order to improve their product. If we can help Heath's improve their product then I'm all for it.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #20
hilltopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I haven't shopped at Jo Jo's but I guess I have to question the negative comments about Heath's meat quality. We've been shopping there for years and have never had a quality issue with them before. However, if there is an issue, perhaps others should post their problems here too. As we have said in many other threads, it is this kind of feedback that business owners need in order to improve their product. If we can help Heath's improve their product then I'm all for it.
IMO, Heath's sells a better quality meat than Hannafords. Cannot speak to JoJo's as I've never been.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #21
C Tucker

I, too, am a great fan of Heath's meats. I buy all my beef there. Heath's will also handle any special order requests. Several times I have bought standing rib roasts and been very pleased.
C Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #22
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Heath's meat's aren't bad, I said they were not the same quality. When I've bought Heath's tips, they require a lot more chewing than JoJo's, and don't have as much flavor. JoJo's tips can be cut with a fork.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #23
Irrigation Guy

Default Negative turns into a positive

I find it amusing that when someone posts one of these negative threads about a well liked business it always gets turned around on them. The masses quickly defend the business, and it turns out to be good free advertising for the business.

I love it! Jojo's is a great place. Awesome sandwiches, quality meats/deli items, and all those other things you may need or have forgot that you don't want to take the time to pickup elsewhere. Sure some of this stuff is a little pricey, and could be obtained elsewhere at a lesser price but you pay for convenience. It really is a conscious decision, time vs money, at certain times the addition cost is well worth the convenience and I gladly pay it.

Thank you to JOJO's for all you do and are to your many happy customers.

Can't wait to get a chicken salad sandwich on a yummy crusty sub roll!
Irrigation Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:31 PM   #24
Don

Quote:
the owners are miserable, fake, rude to their customers
That certainly was not my experience. Years ago we bought a house on Long Island. After the closing we stopped by Jo Jo's to pick up a few things for the fridge. During checkout we chatted with the friendly checker and mentioned that we had just bought the house. As we headed for the door the owner (I think it was Russ) stopped us and presented us with a bottle of champagne and congrats on our purchase. We never forgot that.

That was many years ago. We eventually sold the house and I haven't been to Jo Jo's in quite a long time. Things could have changed but after reading many of these posts it seems like it hasn't.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #25
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Smile

Quote:
Heath's meat's aren't bad, I said they were not the same quality. When I've bought Heath's tips, they require a lot more chewing than JoJo's, and don't have as much flavor. JoJo's tips can be cut with a fork.
geezer,

Try some Motreal Stake Rubb (McCormics) on the Tips and Stakes. Not too much but a little on both sides. Let the meat set for a half hour and you will think it came from JoJo's.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #26
Waterbaby

Default By Boat?

So.............. Is JoJo's reachable by boat? I'm always looking for a place we can stop at by boat for a quick lunch (i.e. subs to bring to the boat)...............
Old 03-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #27
mneck1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
So.............. Is JoJo's reachable by boat? I'm always looking for a place we can stop at by boat for a quick lunch (i.e. subs to bring to the boat)...............
Only if you want to walk a couple of miles from the Long Island Beach...
Old 03-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #28
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneck1814 View Post
Only if you want to walk a couple of miles from the Long Island Beach...

Oh. Thanks. That wouldn't be too awfully quick, lol.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:49 PM   #29
Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
As we headed for the door the owner (I think it was Russ) stopped us and presented us with a bottle of champagne and congrats on our purchase. We never forgot that.
It's funny how the little things like the champagne impact your attitude on a business. In Nov 83 I bought a new 84 Toyota 4-Runner and on the way home my wife opened the glove compartment and found a bottle of champagne with a note from the salesman. A very nice unexpected touch. We also never forgot it.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #30
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

That is a nice touch. It reminds me, we once bought a boat from Shep Brown's and they had wine and crackers for us. I agree, touches like that ARE very nice and mean a lot.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #31
NHKathy

Default When are they opening? should be this week?

Quote:

LG- You must be unaware of who the owners are then, because
anyone that has gone into Jo Jo's has have a poor experience with them.
WRONG! I have NEVER had a bad experience at Jo Jo's (with the owners or any employees...)
and from the posts in this thread, it sounds like most people have also never had a bad experience at Jo Jo's...

I agree with all of the following posts: #'s 3,7,8,13,23 - they have summed it up - Jo Jo's is great!

I always try to give business to small businesses and "mom & pop" type stores...

So, anyone know what day they are opening for the season??
I can't wait to get some Cranberry Chicken Salad!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHKathy For This Useful Post:
Irrigation Guy (04-14-2009)
Old 04-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #32
chefisk

Default opening date

jo jo's opens this Friday April 17th at 6:30 am.
chefisk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chefisk For This Useful Post:
mneck1814 (04-14-2009)
Old 04-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #33
NHKathy

Woo Hoo!

Thank you Chefisk!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #34
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
It's funny how the little things like the champagne impact your attitude on a business. In Nov 83 I bought a new 84 Toyota 4-Runner and on the way home my wife opened the glove compartment and found a bottle of champagne with a note from the salesman. A very nice unexpected touch. We also never forgot it.

Good thing you opened the glove box when you did, lol -- I hate to think what would have happened had you not and the built-up heat in there had, at some point, affected the champagne................. Yikes!
Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #35
meredith weekender

Jo Jo's is a great store and the employees and owners are very friendly. We had a place in Moultonborough for four years before we came to Meredith. We went to Jo J's at least 4 times a week during the summer and the food and service was great. We still will go out of our way to get coffee and bakery items from Jo Jo's. The same person (older man) is always at the register, we will assume he is the owner and he is great to talk to. It would seem that someone just wants to bash Jo Jo's and I do NOT think it is because he is a junior member of the forum. I am also a junior member of the forum.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:20 PM   #36
nell

Default Jo Jo's Convenience Store EXCEPTIONALLY RUDE OWNERS, although getting mellower w/age

I agree that Jo Jo's has good subs and meats. I also agree that the prices are outrageous. Also, it would be nice to have my sub order correct now and again b/c when I get home w/wrong subs it is NOT CONVENIENT. And, btw, subs are the only thing I will buy there b/c my family LOVES them. However, I hate going to Jo Jo's b/c the owners are often RUDE, and yelling at somebody's child is never acceptable - regardless. Their rudeness has seemed to mellow with age, I'll admit. Even so, I remember how rude they were for the first 10 years or so w/amazement even now.

My family lived down the neck long before Jo Jo's ever took over from Brown's, (I think, and them from McCormack's) and often stop in there. So I am in no way a newbie. I worked in Center Harbor and called home to see if I could get anything on my way home - at Heath's, where the service is excellent and the food is too. I did this b/c shopping at Jo Jo's is not acceptable to me, as I have been treated rudely too many times to overlook the ignorance. Nevertheless, once home I would be asked to dash up to Jo Jo's. I would drive right by and continue to Heath's. If anyone passed out bubbly in welcome, it must have been an extraordinary day for that RUDE bugger. I would like to add that the only people who have been rude to me at Jo Jo's are the owners - never the employees.

I have never worked at Jo Jo's, and so have no axe to grind, although neighborhood children have worked there and have been treated miserably, for excellent work - good enough to be asked back year after year.

Also, I have served Russ numerous times and so, have had to suffer his "humor" which is political and disgusting to me, and not at all humorous. I bet the fella whose opinion I wholeheartedly agree w/is the swell employee who did make my subs correctly. I remember him fondly - even his name. He was an excellent employee to his customers, and, as employee of the year, apparently to his employers as well. Buzz was wonderful to deal with - in fact, it always amazed me that he was part of that truly rude family. Norman was also wonderful and warm. The young kids there are always polite. And the last person to screw up my sub order was Barb. So, no axe to grind, and I do love the subs (when the order is correct) but I cannot pretend that those people, though admittedly they have mellowed somewhat with age, are more than what Mr. Aviator said: rude, fake, YUK! I would not allow my daughter to apply there when she was a teenager.

I would also like to point out that parking in front is unsafe as some patrons back out into traffic without looking, or having their sight blocked by large cars parked next to them. Easily remedied, as there is sufficient parking on the sides. The owners should not allow parking in front, though. My daughter, now in her mid-twenties; was terrified to pass Jo Jo's as a new driver, having nearly been hit by patrons leaving. Even I, as an old driver, do not pass Jo Jo's in summer going more than 5 mph b/c we've all almost been victims to this dangerous parking situation. Not bad if you stop there every time you pass, but who would do that? I pointed this out to Russ a good 10 years ago but he was very rude about it. One day, this could lead to legal issues for him. If anyone does have a problem as a direct result of his front-of-the-store parking, and he has been cautioned of the potential problem, he can be held liable for setting up a dangerous situation.

I'm afraid some of you are nostalgic or just plain lucky. Many of us have tasted the rudeness that embodies Jo Jo's.
nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #37
ossipeeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nell View Post
I agree that Jo Jo's has good subs and meats. I also agree that the prices are outrageous. Also, it would be nice to have my sub order correct now and again b/c when I get home w/wrong subs it is NOT CONVENIENT. And, btw, subs are the only thing I will buy there b/c my family LOVES them. However, I hate going to Jo Jo's b/c the owners are often RUDE, and yelling at somebody's child is never acceptable - regardless. Their rudeness has seemed to mellow with age, I'll admit. Even so, I remember how rude they were for the first 10 years or so w/amazement even now.

My family lived down the neck long before Jo Jo's ever took over from Brown's, (I think, and them from McCormack's) and often stop in there. So I am in no way a newbie. I worked in Center Harbor and called home to see if I could get anything on my way home - at Heath's, where the service is excellent and the food is too. I did this b/c shopping at Jo Jo's is not acceptable to me, as I have been treated rudely too many times to overlook the ignorance. Nevertheless, once home I would be asked to dash up to Jo Jo's. I would drive right by and continue to Heath's. If anyone passed out bubbly in welcome, it must have been an extraordinary day for that RUDE bugger. I would like to add that the only people who have been rude to me at Jo Jo's are the owners - never the employees.

I have never worked at Jo Jo's, and so have no axe to grind, although neighborhood children have worked there and have been treated miserably, for excellent work - good enough to be asked back year after year.

Also, I have served Russ numerous times and so, have had to suffer his "humor" which is political and disgusting to me, and not at all humorous. I bet the fella whose opinion I wholeheartedly agree w/is the swell employee who did make my subs correctly. I remember him fondly - even his name. He was an excellent employee to his customers, and, as employee of the year, apparently to his employers as well. Buzz was wonderful to deal with - in fact, it always amazed me that he was part of that truly rude family. Norman was also wonderful and warm. The young kids there are always polite. And the last person to screw up my sub order was Barb. So, no axe to grind, and I do love the subs (when the order is correct) but I cannot pretend that those people, though admittedly they have mellowed somewhat with age, are more than what Mr. Aviator said: rude, fake, YUK! I would not allow my daughter to apply there when she was a teenager.

I would also like to point out that parking in front is unsafe as some patrons back out into traffic without looking, or having their sight blocked by large cars parked next to them. Easily remedied, as there is sufficient parking on the sides. The owners should not allow parking in front, though. My daughter, now in her mid-twenties; was terrified to pass Jo Jo's as a new driver, having nearly been hit by patrons leaving. Even I, as an old driver, do not pass Jo Jo's in summer going more than 5 mph b/c we've all almost been victims to this dangerous parking situation. Not bad if you stop there every time you pass, but who would do that? I pointed this out to Russ a good 10 years ago but he was very rude about it. One day, this could lead to legal issues for him. If anyone does have a problem as a direct result of his front-of-the-store parking, and he has been cautioned of the potential problem, he can be held liable for setting up a dangerous situation.

I'm afraid some of you are nostalgic or just plain lucky. Many of us have tasted the rudeness that embodies Jo Jo's.

give me a break theres a lot worse places to pull out of than JoJo's parking lot and if you get hit backing out it's your fault not the stores.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:52 PM   #38
nell

Default OssipeeBoater get a break

As the discussion is about Jo Jo's, I limit my issue to that place; regardless of whether there are more tricky parking issues elsewhere. The front-of-the-store parking is dangerous to those driving on the road - the danger being from patrons backing onto the road. I have never been hit backing out of Jo Jo's and I have avoided being hit by patrons backing out w/out sufficient clearance to do so only b/c of my excellence and readiness in passing the store at a ridiculously slow rate of speed, foot hovering above the brake to use as necessary - as it often is when passing this store. With today's SUVs I can only surmise vision is blocked, at times, as I have had to hit my brakes to accommodate patrons backing out without, as stated, sufficient clearance to do so, on a number of occassions. When my daughter was a new driver I thought to point this out to Russ when she was almost slammed into by a Jo Jo's patron backing onto the road. Consequently, I have chosen to park on the side of the building when I choose to stop in for subs. Naturally, my daughter adopted my incredibly slow rate of speed whenever she passed the store in future - at least twice a day, until recently. But, by all means, I give you a break, and anything else you require. That does not change anything though, does it?
Old 04-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #39
nell

Default Ossipee breaks

So you see, potential legal issues would be in regards to people on the road doing nothing more than driving by and not in regards to patrons getting hit backing out.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #40
mneck1814

I will agree that the parking in front can be a little tricky, though I have never had a big problem with it as long as you are attentive and aware of traffic. But the store/owners would not be liable because the town has permitted the parking area in front, it isn't their fault that the driver didn't look before backing out. If you back out into traffic slowly it really isn't difficult to see up the street for oncoming traffic.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #41
ossipeeboater

Quote:
So you see, potential legal issues would be in regards to people on the road doing nothing more than driving by and not in regards to patrons getting hit backing out.
I see no legal issue for the store I see people that need to pay attention better when they are pulling out. Seems like a petty thing to be complaining about IMO

Personally i like the fact the parking right out in front so i can load the firewood and groceries without having to carry them around the building to the parking on the side.
ossipeeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #42
Seeker

Quote:
I have avoided being hit by patrons backing out w/out sufficient clearance to do so only b/c of my excellence and readiness in passing the store at a ridiculously slow rate of speed
Wow,
I commend your "excellence and readiness" but I drove by there many, many times last summer on my way to Quayside and never saw a problem with anyone backing out into traffic. Seemed like plenty of room for a knowledgeable driver to back out then continue on down the road.
You won't have to worry about my huge Avalanche backing out in front of you as I won't go there again as I said previously. I really can't figure out why you go there if you have been treated rudely so often. I learn after the FIRST TIME.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #43
Argie's Wife

Default What's in the water here lately...?

I'm getting rather weary of people swooping in here and trashing a business within 4 posts or less...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Skip (04-27-2009)
Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #44
Rose

Default Human nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I'm getting rather weary of people swooping in here and trashing a business within 4 posts or less...
You know the old saying "if you make a bad impression on a customer they will tell 7 people who in turn will tell 7 and so on. But if you make a good impression, they will tell 3." The forum lets them increase their volume from 7 to 7000.

{rant on} I don't mind so much if the complaints are well-constructed...it's the blatant ranting that drives me nuts. {rant off}
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #45
Argie's Wife

Default Things that make ya go hmmm....

Maybe the posts would carry more weight if they were first hand experiences...

And maybe it's just me but if you don't like the owners or how they do business then don't darken their door. Take your money elsewhere. Call me a "simpleton" but it's an easy solution to an ant-hill of a problem.

Finally, if a poster's got the "brass ones" to post their issues with these businesses here on the forum, why the heck didn't they confront these issues with them back when the offenses happened? Why would you let an injustice happen to a child or to a minority or whathaveyou and NOT speak up? Why would you just bite your tongue when your order wasn't right or you felt the prices were too jacked?
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #46
meredith weekender

If you think it is to risky to park in the front of the building, or if you are not a skilled driver that can back out of the front then maybe you could park on the side of the building. Problem solved. Now let's move on to the nice weather and boating.
meredith weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 10:49 AM   #47
Island Life

I've never been to Jo Jo's, so I can't address the specific complaint, but I love little Mom & Pop stores and will gladly pay a little more to shop in one as often as I - and my wallet - can do so. And then to find a Mom & Pop store with great meats and sandwiches . . . I'm going to have to check this place out. Thanks for the tip, Aviatr.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #48
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Jo Jo's everyone favorite store, which they love to hate

Well I have been out on Long Island for 20 years now. And have been in and out of Jo Jo's many times. And I think as you ready this thread what needs to be remember is that we all have our own opinions.

Do I have my problems with the owner, who I feel can be abrassive and sometimes come off as rude especially to his help. Yes at times I do. But then again you know what he is dealing with high school and College students who lets face it aren't always the best of employees, so I can of just leave it at that, and also try and remember that store is dam busy all summer long, and you know, I might just get tired and grumpy too, trying to run the show.

Sure the prices are high, and I never do my entire weekend shopping there, but you know if I want a steak for the BBQ, a bag of chips, an extra 12 pack of soda / beer, or some patato salad, it sure beats running all the way into town. So I suck it up pay a few extra pennies and deal with it for the convience.

All in all Jo Jo's isn't that bad. And you have to remember they are people too, human after all. In fact I have even said something once or twice when in their and I thought the owner was a little out of line... sure he was grumpy with me as I checked out. But he realized that maybe yelling at his employee in front of everyone wasn't so smart.
robmac (04-30-2009), Winnigirl (04-28-2009)
Old 04-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #49
eillac@dow

Default You know what your getting at Jo Jo's

Ok...so....I have a few more than 4 posts but a lot less than most, but here are my 2 cents on Jo-Jo's.

You get what you pay for. There are those that stop in there for the first time and may feel they have been over charged. But there are those, like me, that go there weekend after weekend. We know they charge more, but we are willing to pay. For the most part, it is called "convenience". God, do I hate making that drive up M-Neck Road when it is the middle of a beautiful summer day. If it comes down to paying a buck or two more for somthing by buying at Jo-Jo's or taking an additonal 45 minutes to go to Center Harbor to make that same purchase......Well, my answer is Jo-Jo's.

Jo-Jo's has offered us alot. From their deli counter, to their movies (on a rainy day...when you don't have cable) to a last minute dinner purchase. It's great to be able to run up there for a cup of coffee and a muffin. You cannot go wrong.

Yes, I have seen Russ when he has not been at his best. But we all have our days. But for the most part, I have always got a big Hello....How are you... from him.

It is your choice.....don't like the place...stay away. If you like them....go back! I will probably see you there!

Happy summer.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #50
Waterbaby

Thumbs up Well Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
Ok...so....I have a few more than 4 posts but a lot less than most, but here are my 2 cents on Jo-Jo's.

You get what you pay for. There are those that stop in there for the first time and may feel they have been over charged. But there are those, like me, that go there weekend after weekend. We know they charge more, but we are willing to pay. For the most part, it is called "convenience". God, do I hate making that drive up M-Neck Road when it is the middle of a beautiful summer day. If it comes down to paying a buck or two more for somthing by buying at Jo-Jo's or taking an additonal 45 minutes to go to Center Harbor to make that same purchase......Well, my answer is Jo-Jo's.

Jo-Jo's has offered us alot. From their deli counter, to their movies (on a rainy day...when you don't have cable) to a last minute dinner purchase. It's great to be able to run up there for a cup of coffee and a muffin. You cannot go wrong.

Yes, I have seen Russ when he has not been at his best. But we all have our days. But for the most part, I have always got a big Hello....How are you... from him.

It is your choice.....don't like the place...stay away. If you like them....go back! I will probably see you there!

Happy summer.
In fact, I should have titled this "Very Well Said!" I've never been to JoJos, but I sure have been to a lot of other M&P type places; in fact, I worked in one for two years. Sounds like where I worked was similar to JoJos, with the exception of us not having meats -- we had a deli, sandwich bar, cold salads, hot entrees, beer and wine, dairy products, etc. etc. etc. Cost a little higher? Of course! What a lot of people need to keep in mind is it's not just the convenience that one is paying for, but also the little places just don't have the buying power as the big places do, they are charged more, and they need to make a living also -- thus, prices are higher.

And yes, they are people also -- I'd love to see ANYONE who has complained about a store owner/employee being grumpy try working with the public 40++++++ hours a week, and try to be pleasant and friendly ALL of those hours.............. especially when you are working at a very busy place. Yes, the owners/employees get tired, might be a bit cranky now and again, but that's the nature of the human! I'd be willing to bet it's the people who complain about the store owner/employing having an attitude who have the attitude toward the people working in the store........ and that's based on my own personal experience. Never understood that one!
Rose (04-29-2009)
Old 04-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #51
JDeere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Wow,
I commend your "excellence and readiness" but I drove by there many, many times last summer on my way to Quayside and never saw a problem with anyone backing out into traffic. Seemed like plenty of room for a knowledgeable driver to back out then continue on down the road.
No, issues with JJ"s BUT I always slow way down as I pass it because some people do just back out......looking is an afterthought!
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote