Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2021, 08:37 PM   #401
trfour

Post Too Late??

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-a...-lost-n1274119

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 07-16-2021, 06:15 AM   #402
trfour

Post Far from Over

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...-lung-n1274102

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 07-16-2021, 12:39 PM   #403
trfour

Exclamation WORNING- from CDC

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...nated-n1274161

Old 07-19-2021, 03:16 PM   #404
Mr. V

It's time for a national mandate that ALL Americans get vaccinated.

"Live free and Die" should no longer be an option.
Old 07-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #405
trfour

Exclamation Who's to blame?

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...ealth-n1274288

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2021, 01:23 PM   #406
trfour

Exclamation Fact check=Truth....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-says-n1274984

Old 07-26-2021, 08:22 PM   #407
TheTimeTraveler

If folks haven't procured the Vaccine by now then they have no one to blame except themselves....
Old 07-27-2021, 05:08 AM   #408
ApS

Exclamation Don't Let Fear Overwhelm Reason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
It's time for a national mandate that ALL Americans get vaccinated.
"Live free and Die" should no longer be an option.
The "vaccinated" can still infect others.

Today's "break-throughs" are milder in effects.

The "Delta" variant, though highly transmissible, is killing many fewer people.

Newly vaccinated people are reportedly dying of vaccinations' after-effects.

European researchers report the presence of graphene oxide in vaccinations, and have alerted their peers in the western hemisphere.

Pushing vaccinations on the least-affected age groups may ultimately prove harmful to them.

Six Yankees test positive, while one million of the world's "impoverished" will cross our borders this year. I may have used up my "Stupid" allotment.

Those unvaccinated--who contracted the Wuhan Flu--have the best immunity going.

Last edited by ApS; 07-27-2021 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Added Yankees...
Old 07-27-2021, 05:19 AM   #409
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

European researchers report the presence of graphene oxide in vaccinations, and have alerted their peers in the western hemisphere.

Pushing vaccinations on the least-affected age groups may ultimately prove harmful to them.

Why don't you ever post your "sources"? At this point, you're a tinfoil-hat-wearing-conspiracy-theorist who either can't research or purposefully manipulates information to support your narrative.

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2OZ14F

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2P21DB

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-27-2021), gillygirl (07-27-2021), Newbiesaukee (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 AM   #410
FlyingScot

Quote:

Six Yankees test positive, while one million of the world's "impoverished" will cross our borders this year. I may have used up my "Stupid" allotment.

It's really bizarre, pitiful, and dangerous that you keep doing this. Everyone who has any understanding of health or statistics, and is not paranoid, understands that the vaccine will make them and their families much safer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (07-27-2021), trfour (07-28-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #411
John Mercier

So let Aps et al get sick and maybe die... Darwinism works.

NH is a case study in Darwinism. Even those that survive to old age experience it when their savings run out.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:42 AM   #412
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
So let Aps et al get sick and maybe die... Darwinism works.

NH is a case study in Darwinism. Even those that survive to old age experience it when their savings run out.
I don’t want that for APS. Just wish better references and more critical thinking.

Totally off-topic and I guess you are using “Darwinism” figuratively; but there is new research on genetics suggesting it is not quite so “simple” as Darwin postulated.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Old 07-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #413
John Mercier

It is figuratively.
Since most will pass on their genes to the next generation long before they die.

Most are going to find that business in the local area will begin to act once again in their own interests. Anything outside what is considered the ''norm'' will not only suffer disdain, but be restricted.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:28 PM   #414
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
you're a tinfoil-hat-wearing-conspiracy-theorist who either can't research or purposefully manipulates information to support your narrative.
HAHA, you are just figuring this out!!
Old 07-27-2021, 02:23 PM   #415
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Why don't you ever post your "sources"? At this point, you're a tinfoil-hat-wearing-conspiracy-theorist who either can't research or purposefully manipulates information to support your narrative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
HAHA, you are just figuring this out!!
Must have been the third shot that fried his brain.

ApS:

July 22, 2021: “I got the Moderna back in January and Feb.”

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...140#post359140

June 25, 2021: “As to the inoculation, I had the Johnson & Johnson one-shot maybe a month ago: no difference in my daily life.”

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...629#post357629
The Following User Says Thank You to BrownstoneNorth For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 09:24 PM   #416
ApS

Angry It's the MSM Against Americans...

There was no "third shot". That reference was a joke-thread of member TiltonBB—"To lighten the moment".

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
It's really bizarre, pitiful, and dangerous that you keep doing this. Everyone who has any understanding of health or statistics, and is not paranoid, understands that the vaccine will make them and their families much safer.
Those points will stand up to scrutiny outside of what Americans see on TV.

Name one that's "bizarre, pitiful, and dangerous", and we'll examine it for the forum.

Quote:

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2OZ14F

https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2P21DB
Hardly tinfoil: Most of my written sources originate in Britain. (One, via Skype, originated from a Spanish University professor to a Spanish-speaking Medical Doctor).

So, who to believe? Government's Facebook beliefs or a University professor's beliefs?

(Britain is about two weeks ahead of the US in Covid variants).

Remember this "sage advice"?
Quote:
"Unfortunately, science today is too influenced by politics. The ideal of a scientist is an objective, ‘disinterested’ observer. If one holds strong emotional positions on a topic, then it is all too easy to have conclusions, and even observations, colored by those viewpoints".
Are you not concerned that your own Reuters fact-check mentions that Reuters' findings placed at Facebook were "flagged for removal"?

Or that findings deemed "misinformation" are flagged from a government to a private business, (Facebook), for deletion?

Thinkx can give the above a fearful name...
Old 07-27-2021, 10:08 PM   #417
John Mercier

Facebook is not a ''news'' site.
Many of the other things you are reading are not either.

They are covered under certain laws from being sued for information posted on their sites.

Since the vaccines where never claimed to be 100% effective, even against the original strain, everyone expected ''breakthroughs''.

We have five sales people test positive for the virus and needed quarantine. No one died, no one even really needed to be hospitalized (though one didn't look so good). But you know what we did learn from that round... it is really hard to do any business when a salesperson is out.

There were quotes and orders on individual computers that at first, they suspected that I could not get to. All my time instead of serving new customers was spent trying to work through their systems.

It isn't something that we will be going through again.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:53 AM   #418
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNorth View Post

ApS:

June 25, 2021: “As to the inoculation, I had the Johnson & Johnson one-shot maybe a month ago: no difference in my daily life.”

That's great!!
Old 07-28-2021, 06:58 AM   #419
thinkxingu

Quote:
There was no "third shot". That reference was a joke-thread of member TiltonBB—"To lighten the moment".

Those points will stand up to scrutiny outside of what Americans see on TV.

Name one that's "bizarre, pitiful, and dangerous", and we'll examine it for the forum.

Hardly tinfoil: Most of my written sources originate in Britain. (One, via Skype, originated from a Spanish University professor to a Spanish-speaking Medical Doctor).

So, who to believe? Government's Facebook beliefs or a University professor's beliefs?

(Britain is about two weeks ahead of the US in Covid variants).

Remember this "sage advice"?

Are you not concerned that your own Reuters fact-check mentions that Reuters' findings placed at Facebook were "flagged for removal"?

Or that findings deemed "misinformation" are flagged from a government to a private business, (Facebook), for deletion?

Thinkx can give the above a fearful name...
What you refer to are posts that are flagged for misinformation and/or lack of context. The specific example in that piece revolves around numbers of deaths and how people have been posting incorrect numbers AND those with unclear causation.

"The screenshot only shows the headline and the text: “The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) confirmed an increased number of deaths reported after a COVID-19 vaccination. Between December 14, 2020, through July 19, 2021, the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) received 12,313 reports of death among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine.”

The next paragraph in the article, which is not visible in the screenshots, shows an update that the CDC modified the number of 12,313 deaths to 6,079. The next paragraph shows a second update that says the CDC modified the number to 6,207.

However, the headline of the article has not been updated to show the correct number as of publishing. It also did not disclose in the headline that the number is sourced from VAERS reports, which do not provide definitive data on COVID-19 vaccine related fatalities.

In a July 21, 2021 page update, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said it had received 6,207 reports of people who had died after receiving a COVID vaccine between Dec. 14, 2020 and July 19, 2021 (here ). But that came with clear caveats. On the same page, it says: “FDA requires healthcare providers to report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to VAERS, even if it’s unclear whether the vaccine was the cause.”

Old 07-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #420
FlyingScot

Quote:

We have five sales people test positive for the virus and needed quarantine. No one died, no one even really needed to be hospitalized (though one didn't look so good). But you know what we did learn from that round... it is really hard to do any business when a salesperson is out.
Fortunately, we have 100% vaccinated at my company. We are hiring a significant number of new people this fall, and are going to require all to be vaxxed. It's a two-fold decision for us. First, we feel a responsibility to have a safe work environment. Second, it would be extraordinarily expensive if we had a breakout.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (07-29-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 01:35 PM   #421
WinnisquamZ

The teachers unions are asking for masks to be worn by all his coming year, but refused to mandate all teachers be vaccinated before the school year begins. Can someone explain this stance?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-28-2021, 01:43 PM   #422
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
The teachers unions are asking for masks to be worn by all his coming year, but refused to mandate all teachers be vaccinated before the school year begins. Can someone explain this stance? Is it a local/NH thing?

Can you share the article or more information on this? I know Charlie Baker, and MA DESE, are holding tight to no masks upon return, and I've not heard anything otherwise from AFT/MTA, etc.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:47 PM   #423
Garcia

Quote:
The teachers unions are asking for masks to be worn by all his coming year, but refused to mandate all teachers be vaccinated before the school year begins. Can someone explain this stance?

There is little logic - and yes, I work in a school. I would love to see schools require vaccinations for those eligible. I can get behind religious exemptions (and of course medical), but not philosophical ones.

Schools need to be fully open. If there is a medical reason to be remote, fine. If you don't have a medical reason and don't want to send your child to school, there are many homeschool options available.
The Following User Says Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-30-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 01:48 PM   #424
WinnisquamZ

Yes, this is MA.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #425
Garcia

Quote:
Can you share the article or more information on this? I know Charlie Baker, and MA DESE, are holding tight to no masks upon return, and I've not heard anything otherwise from AFT/MTA, etc.

“The Massachusetts Teachers Association continues to fully support the safe return to in-person learning in our schools — and the guidance issued today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concerning indoor masking advances that goal. The CDC guidance, following a similar recommendation by the American Academy of Pediatrics, makes clear that the safest way to implement in-person learning and to keep students, educators and communities healthy and safe is to have all students and staff wear face masks regardless of vaccination status.”

MERRIE NAJIMY | PRESIDENT, MASSACHUSETTS TEACHERS ASSOCIATION
Old 07-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #426
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
“The Massachusetts Teachers Association continues to fully support the safe return to in-person learning in our schools — and the guidance issued today by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention concerning indoor masking advances that goal. The CDC guidance, following a similar recommendation by the American Academy of Pediatrics, makes clear that the safest way to implement in-person learning and to keep students, educators and communities healthy and safe is to have all students and staff wear face masks regardless of vaccination status.”

MERRIE NAJIMY | PRESIDENT, MASSACHUSETTS TEACHERS ASSOCIATION
Thank you, was just about to cut and paste

Old 07-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #427
FlyingScot

Some unions are completely out to lunch on this, but some are on board. The NYC employees' unions are making a squawk about recently announced vax requirements. Unions in California have supported their Governor's push for vaccines. My sense is that unions are like other groups--some of their leaders just need time to understand the operational details, and some are narrow-minded idiots.

BTW...religious exemptions...for which religions? Seriously, and not to stigmatize, but are any of you aware of any religion that prohibits vaccination?
Old 07-28-2021, 04:17 PM   #428
gillygirl

Quote:
Some unions are completely out to lunch on this, but some are on board. The NYC employees' unions are making a squawk about recently announced vax requirements. Unions in California have supported their Governor's push for vaccines. My sense is that unions are like other groups--some of their leaders just need time to understand the operational details, and some are narrow-minded idiots.

BTW...religious exemptions...for which religions? Seriously, and not to stigmatize, but are any of you aware of any religion that prohibits vaccination?
Many Christian Scientists prefer not to get vaccines. They will if required by law. The church lets members decide for themselves.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-28-2021, 05:56 PM   #429
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Many Christian Scientists prefer not to get vaccines. They will if required by law. The church lets members decide for themselves.

Understood--I checked this before I sent my last message. But since the church has been clear that vaccines are allowed, I do not understand how a Christian Scientist can say their religion prohibits vaccines. Wouldn't that be similar to a Catholic asserting they cannot eat meat on Friday, or a Jewish person asserting they are vegetarian?

Even if we call Christian Scientists a "maybe", it's a VERY short list of people that practice a faith that prohibits vaccines. I cannot think of one.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #430
WinnisquamZ

https://wmur.com/article/new-hampshi...nties/37160182
After all this back and forth it does appear every other person in NH is vaccinated

Old 07-28-2021, 06:43 PM   #431
John Mercier

Not really.
The lakes region has some pockets of low vaccination rates.

Barnstead, Belmont, Franklin, Northfield, and Plymouth are all at less than 50%
Center Harbor, Holderness, and Wolfeboro are all in the 70%+ category.

That will also very among pockets/cliques within each town.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:10 PM   #432
TheTimeTraveler

The vaccination rates appear to be higher among those that have a higher level of education. Not saying that education has anything to do with it but just look at how low the rates are in some of our lower income states, i.e. Louisiana, Alabama, etc.

Right now the Delta Variant is raising heck in many areas that have had a lower rate of vaccinations.

Lets' hope things will get back under control so that no one else needs to be hospitalized or lose their life.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:17 PM   #433
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
The vaccination rates appear to be higher among those that have a higher level of education. Not saying that education has anything to do with it but just look at how low the rates are in some of our lower income states, i.e. Louisiana, Alabama, etc.

Right now the Delta Variant is raising heck in many areas that have had a lower rate of vaccinations.

Lets' hope things will get back under control so that no one else needs to be hospitalized or lose their life.
I will also be politically correct and not say that education has anything to do with it....But even in very high vaccination states such as Mass, it is less educated people who are still not vaccinated.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:39 PM   #434
WinnisquamZ

“Less educated” one could say open minded and willing to listen and think for themselves.
The USPS Union just put out a statement on mandatory vaccines
“No”

Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 PM   #435
thinkxingu

Quote:
“Less educated” one could say open minded and willing to listen and think for themselves.
The USPS Union just put out a statement on mandatory vaccines
“No”

"Think for themselves." The fundamental problem in America these days: people who think all opinions have value rather than accepting that some people's—experts—are worth more.

While talking to someone yesterday, he said he wasn't going to get the vaccine because "the scientists can't even get things right—they keep changing their advice."

I had to explain that that—updating one's understandings as a result of more data—is "science."

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
winniplayhouse (07-30-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #436
FlyingScot

Quote:
“Less educated” one could say open minded

No, those are too different things. There are open and closed minded people at all levels of education.

Part of a good education is understanding how to absorb data, science, conflicting opinions, etc. I am not saying you or any other specific person lacks those skills. But I think it's pretty clear that many of the people who have not been vaccinated have struggled with all of the information presented in different ways.
Old 07-28-2021, 10:09 PM   #437
gillygirl

Default Vaccinations

Quote:
Understood--I checked this before I sent my last message. But since the church has been clear that vaccines are allowed, I do not understand how a Christian Scientist can say their religion prohibits vaccines. Wouldn't that be similar to a Catholic asserting they cannot eat meat on Friday, or a Jewish person asserting they are vegetarian?

Even if we call Christian Scientists a "maybe", it's a VERY short list of people that practice a faith that prohibits vaccines. I cannot think of one.
But the government and employers don’t mandate what Catholics or Jews eat. Not really a good analogy. From what I’ve read, the Christian Science hierarchy would like to say no, but realize their members are a part of a larger society and therefore won’t enforce a no vaccine ordinance. That doesn’t mean a specific member can’t say they are strict adherents to the doctrine and so claim religious exemption.

I think you’re defining religion too tightly. There was a court case in 2012 in Ohio where a district court decided veganism, in some cases, constitutes a religious belief. Non-theistic moral codes can apply as well.

Last edited by gillygirl; 07-28-2021 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:21 AM   #438
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
But the government and employers don’t mandate what Catholics or Jews eat. Not really a good analogy. From what I’ve read, the Christian Science hierarchy would like to say no, but realize their members are a part of a larger society and therefore won’t enforce a no vaccine ordinance. That doesn’t mean a specific member can’t say they are strict adherents to the doctrine and so claim religious exemption.

I think you’re defining religion too tightly. There was a court case in 2012 in Ohio where a district court decided veganism, in some cases, constitutes a religious belief. Non-theistic moral codes can apply as well.

Thanks, GG--you inspired me to look more closely. I see from the link below that as you say, my definition is too tight. An individual can hold unique views, unsupported by any organized church, that would be deemed religious, as long as they are "sincerely held" and on "ultimate" issues.

But the employee may need to sue to enforce, and then prove the two criteria. On veganism, it looks like a Seventh-day Adventist is easily covered, as is a person who has made up their own religion that includes veganism. But a person who simply says eating meat is cruel so it is against my religion, would have to prove the "ultimate" part. Similarly, someone who worships their own Sun God with a prominent tattoo is protected, but someone who insists on displaying their Springsteen tattoo because he is their "Rock and Roll God" would have to make a case that their thoughts and practices around life and death, etc actually did revolve around The Boss. (...Wait...I may be covered!...)

https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/s...21610748647076
gillygirl (07-29-2021)
Old 07-29-2021, 01:52 PM   #439
Newbiesaukee

It is ironic that the newest CDC mask guidance suggests that those vaccinated should go back to masking indoors under certain circumstances.

The rationale is that new evidence, which is still preliminary, suggests that vaccinated, asymptomatic individuals may still carry large amounts of the virus, presumably the delta variant, and transmit it more easily to the unvaccinated who then may develop Covid 19.

So, as a result of the delta variant, which still very rarely causes serious disease in the vaccinated, those who have been vaccinated are to wear masks to protect those who have chosen NOT to have been vaccinated which if they had been vaccinated could have prevented the undeniable increase in Covid cases.

It would be funny, if not so possibly tragic.

References are the CDC site and multiple news sources. For completeness, there are legitimate reasons why vaccination is not recommended or ineffective in some individuals. But this is not true for the vast majority of the unvaccinated for whose benefit the vaccinated may need to remask.

Old 07-29-2021, 03:20 PM   #440
thinkxingu

Interesting statistics maps.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:03 PM   #441
ApS

Smile From "Tin Foil" Territory...

My first point:

Quote:
The vaccinated can still spread the virus.
Answer:

Quote:
Top health officials Anthony S. Fauci and Rochelle Walensky said July 28 that vaccinated individuals should wear masks indoors, per new CDC guidance .
Source:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...dance-indoors/
Old 07-29-2021, 06:24 PM   #442
John Mercier

Since the vaccines have never claimed to be 100% effective, we know that the vaccinated can get the virus. And if they can get the virus, then they can spread the virus.

That isn't news.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:50 PM   #443
TheTimeTraveler

Bottom Line? Covid is in fact still with us. No one knows if or when it will die out.

In 1920, the Spanish Flue just died out and forever disappeared. We should be so lucky that this will occur in 2021 or 2022 with the current Covid.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:36 PM   #444
John Mercier

https://www.history.com/news/1918-fl...ic-never-ended

It simply mutated.

Covid could be with us forever, but only killing a fraction of the Americans each year that it has during its initial introduction.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:51 PM   #445
VitaBene

Default Nothing?

crickets...

Quote:

ApS:

Old 07-30-2021, 05:39 AM   #446
Lakegeezer

Default New news will continue

Quote:
Since the vaccines have never claimed to be 100% effective, we know that the vaccinated can get the virus. And if they can get the virus, then they can spread the virus.

That isn't news.
The news is that when a small percentage of vaccinated people catch it, new data suggests that they can shed viral elements at a similar volume to the unvaccinated with Covid. A few weeks ago, it was thought that vaccine immunity would reduce the spewed load to a non-contagious level. Now, not so much. Maybe the Delta variant made the difference, but the new recommendation is based on new data and analysis. That's how science works. Learn as you go.

So, as I see it, the request is for vaccinated people to take care not to infect the unvaccinated. People have many reasons not to vaccinate. Most are based on flawed logic but some are valid. In the lakes region, and NH in general, the rate of vaccinations is good and one would hope that those with reasons not to get the jab are taking extra precautions or accept the relatively low risk of hospitalization or dying. Until the businesses start requiring masks again, which is doubtful, that "look" is unlikely to come back into style in the short term. The vaccinated people care about spreading it to the unvaccinated, but not that much.

We aren't out of the woods yet and not even the scientists know what will happen this winter. Some scenarios are worse than others. Change is hard and since many aren't agile enough to bob and weave as the nature of the pandemic runs its course, even the protected have to stay vigilant.
ApS (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 08:29 AM   #447
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post

So, as I see it, the request is for vaccinated people to take care not to infect the unvaccinated. People have many reasons not to vaccinate. Most are based on flawed logic but some are valid. In the lakes region, and NH in general, the rate of vaccinations is good and one would hope that those with reasons not to get the jab are taking extra precautions or accept the relatively low risk of hospitalization or dying.
I think you're too kind. It is a VERY small number of people who have genuine religious or healthcare issues with the vaccines. On religion--Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims--all are good to go. Doesn't that leave us at less than 1%? On healthcare--I'm not sure I've seen even one case of a person for whom the vax would be unsafe; I know of only two individual cases where the vax is unlikely to be effective, both are people with exceedingly rare conditions. So I'm thinking well under 5% of the population has a valid reason for avoiding vaccination.

I've lost patience for those who refuse to protect themselves and others
Old 07-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #448
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
I think you're too kind. It is a VERY small number of people who have genuine religious or healthcare issues with the vaccines. On religion--Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Muslims--all are good to go. Doesn't that leave us at less than 1%? On healthcare--I'm not sure I've seen even one case of a person for whom the vax would be unsafe; I know of only two individual cases where the vax is unlikely to be effective, both are people with exceedingly rare conditions. So I'm thinking well under 5% of the population has a valid reason for avoiding vaccination.

I've lost patience for those who refuse to protect themselves and others
I basically agree with both of you as my posts show. Although very rare, anyone with a serious allergic reaction to vaccines, might not be a good candidate. And just to be a snot…anyone with an anaphylactic reaction to a first shot, should not complete the series.

But, basically, there are millions of people who could (and should) get vaccinated and mitigate this mess and who choose not to.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:46 AM   #449
WinnisquamZ

https://whdh.com/news/91-vaccinated-...-surpass-6000/

Old 07-30-2021, 10:12 AM   #450
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Wow...good news. According to your reference, there are approximately 4.2 million fully vaccinated in MA and a breakthough rate of .15%. That's fantastic.

And the Covid deaths in the fully vaccinated again support the efficacy of the vaccines.

Or is there something I have missed in your reference?

The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (08-02-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 10:45 AM   #451
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
I basically agree with both of you as my posts show. Although very rare, anyone with a serious allergic reaction to vaccines, might not be a good candidate. And just to be a snot…anyone with an anaphylactic reaction to a first shot, should not complete the series.

But, basically, there are millions of people who could (and should) get vaccinated and mitigate this mess and who choose not to.
I have a friend with a severe nut allergy--as in, peanuts could kill her. After consulting with doctors, etc. they gave her the vaccine with extended supervision. That is not not say every person with allergies is OK. But it is to say that many with severe allergies can be vaccinated safely.

Each person with allergies should consult their doctor, then decide
Newbiesaukee (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021, 10:55 AM   #452
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Wow...good news. According to your reference, there are approximately 4.2 million fully vaccinated in MA and a breakthough rate of .15%. That's fantastic.

And the Covid deaths in the fully vaccinated again support the efficacy of the vaccines.

Or is there something I have missed in your reference?
Your comment is a clear indication we are moving forward. Less then two years ago one death from this virus was too many. Now, as people are dying with and without the vaccine you talk % rates and breakthrough. Be safe

Old 07-30-2021, 11:12 AM   #453
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Your comment is a clear indication we are moving forward. Less then two years ago one death from this virus was too many. Now, as people are dying with and without the vaccine you talk % rates and breakthrough. Be safe

Actually, one death from the virus IS still too many. That philosophy does not, in the least, suggest an unreality on anyone’s part.

Old 07-30-2021, 08:32 PM   #454
ApS

Arrow Not Disinformation...

My second point—also disputed:

Quote:
"Today's 'break-throughs' are milder in effects".
Answer:

Quote:
Post-vaccination infections, or breakthroughs, might occasionally turn symptomatic, but they aren’t shameful or aberrant. They also aren’t proof that the shots are failing. These cases are, on average, gentler and less symptomatic; faster-resolving, with less virus lingering—and, it appears, less likely to pass the pathogen on.
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021...t-to-know.html
Old 07-31-2021, 12:49 PM   #455
trfour

Exclamation Not Over

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...nated-n1275210

The Following User Says Thank You to trfour For This Useful Post:
JEEPONLY (08-01-2021)
Old 07-31-2021, 01:23 PM   #456
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfour View Post
EXACTLY how I feel.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:09 PM   #457
trfour

Exclamation Some of US know The Truth...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...?ocid=msedgntp

Old 07-31-2021, 02:26 PM   #458
gillygirl

Quote:
EXACTLY how I feel.

Me as well. One of my biggest disappointments is that I still won’t be able to go in to the vet with my dog. He had a large, cancerous mass removed in April, and it was difficult having to confer with the vet from my car.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:48 PM   #459
trfour

Exclamation Back to School?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us...?ocid=msedgntp

Old 07-31-2021, 06:41 PM   #460
John Mercier

Quote:
The news is that when a small percentage of vaccinated people catch it, new data suggests that they can shed viral elements at a similar volume to the unvaccinated with Covid. A few weeks ago, it was thought that vaccine immunity would reduce the spewed load to a non-contagious level. Now, not so much. Maybe the Delta variant made the difference, but the new recommendation is based on new data and analysis. That's how science works. Learn as you go.

So, as I see it, the request is for vaccinated people to take care not to infect the unvaccinated. People have many reasons not to vaccinate. Most are based on flawed logic but some are valid. In the lakes region, and NH in general, the rate of vaccinations is good and one would hope that those with reasons not to get the jab are taking extra precautions or accept the relatively low risk of hospitalization or dying. Until the businesses start requiring masks again, which is doubtful, that "look" is unlikely to come back into style in the short term. The vaccinated people care about spreading it to the unvaccinated, but not that much.

We aren't out of the woods yet and not even the scientists know what will happen this winter. Some scenarios are worse than others. Change is hard and since many aren't agile enough to bob and weave as the nature of the pandemic runs its course, even the protected have to stay vigilant.
The Lakes Region is actually low when taken into full consideration. It is one of the reasons that Belknap County is the only ''dark'' county on the map. As for the ''masking requirements'', business currently has much bigger issues.

So part of our policy changes will include reduction of contact between various parties.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:11 PM   #461
trfour

Exclamation WE, can make a difference

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/op...?ocid=msedgntp

Old 08-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #462
trfour

Exclamation Side note

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ho...?ocid=msedgntp

Old 08-02-2021, 04:44 AM   #463
ApS

Exclamation Fat or Old...Get the Shot...

Facts as we know them:

ME: CDC, should I get vaccinated if I already had Covid?

CDC: “Yes, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19. That’s because experts do not yet know how long you are protected from getting sick again after recovering from COVID-19.”

ME: Oh, okay, we don’t know how long natural immunity lasts. Got it. So, how long does vaccine-induced immunity last?

ANSWER: “There is still a lot we are learning about COVID-19 vaccines and CDC is constantly reviewing evidence and updating guidance. We don’t know how long protection lasts for those who are vaccinated.”

QUESTION: Okay … but wait a second. I thought you said the reason I need the vaccine was because we don’t know how long my natural immunity lasts, but it seems like you’re saying we ALSO don’t know how long vaccine immunity lasts either. So, how exactly is the vaccine immunity better than my natural immunity?

CDC: …

QUESTION: Uh … alright. But, haven’t there been a bunch of studies suggesting that natural immunity could last for years or decades?

CDC: Yes.

NEWYORKTIMES: “Years, maybe even decades, according to a new study.”

ME: Ah. So natural immunity might last longer than vaccine immunity?

CDC: Possibly. You never know.

ME: Okay. If I get the vaccine, does that mean I won’t get sick?

BRITAIN: Nope. We are just now entering a seasonal spike and about half of our infections and hospital admissions are vaccinated people.

ME: CDC, is this true? Are there a lot of people in the U.S. catching Covid after getting the jab?

CDC: We stopped tracking breakthrough cases. We accept voluntary reports of breakthroughs but aren’t out there looking for them.

ME: Does that mean that if someone comes in the hospital with Covid, you don’t track them because they’ve been vaccinated? You only track the UN-vaccinated Covid cases?

CDC: That’s right.

ME: Oh, okay. Hmm. Well, if I can still get sick after I get the vaccine, how is it helping me?

CDC: We never said you wouldn’t get sick. We said it would reduce your chances of serious illness or death.

ME: Oh, sorry. Alright, exactly how much does it reduce my chance of serious illness or death.

CDC: We don’t know “exactly.”

ME: Oh. Then what’s your best estimate for how much risk reduction there is?

CDC: We don’t know, okay? Next question.

ME: Um, if I’m healthy and don’t want the vaccine, is there any reason I should get it?

CDC: Yes, for the collective.

ME: How does the collective benefit from me getting vaccinated?

CDC: Because you could spread the virus to someone else who might get sick and die.

ME: Can a vaccinated person spread the virus to someone else?

ME: So if I get vaccinated, I could still spread the virus to someone else?

ME: But I thought you just said, the REASON I should get vaccinated was to prevent me spreading the virus? How does that make sense if I can still catch Covid and spread it after getting the vaccine?

CDC: Never mind that. The other thing is, if you stay unvaccinated, there’s a chance the virus could possibly mutate into a strain that escapes the vaccine’s protection, putting all vaccinated people at risk.

ME: So the vaccine stops the virus from mutating?

CDC: No.

ME: So it can still mutate in vaccinated people?

ME: This seems confusing. If the vaccine doesn’t stop mutations, and it doesn’t stop infections, then how does me getting vaccinated help prevent a more deadly strain from evolving to escape the vaccine?

CDC: You aren’t listening, okay? The bottom line is: as long as you are unvaccinated, you pose a threat to vaccinated people.

ME: But what KIND of threat??

CDC: The threat that they could get a serious case of Covid and possibly die.

ME: My brain hurts. Didn’t you JUST say that the vaccine doesn’t keep people from catching Covid, but prevents a serious case or dying? Now it seems like you’re saying vaccinated people can still easily die from Covid even after they got the vaccine just by running into an unvaccinated person! Which is it??

CDC: That’s it, we’re hanging up now.

ME: Wait! I just want to make sure I understand all this. So, even if I ALREADY had Covid, I should STILL get vaccinated, because we don’t know how long natural immunity lasts, and we also don’t know how long vaccine immunity lasts. And I should get the vaccine to keep a vaccinated person from catching Covid from me, but even if I get the vaccine, I can give it to the vaccinated person anyways. And, the other vaccinated person can still easily catch a serious case of Covid from me and die. Do I have all that right?

ME: Um, hello? Is anyone there?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (08-02-2021), TKD (08-02-2021), WinnisquamZ (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 05:25 AM   #464
WinnisquamZ

Well written, you deserve a second cup of coffee

Old 08-02-2021, 06:03 AM   #465
Seaplane Pilot

I have more faith in the US Postal Service than the CDC to provide better information about Corona. CDC are the epitome of incompetence. In addition, when the “Administration” stops letting thousands of sick and unvaccinated illegal aliens into this country, then maybe “vaccinate hesitancy” may decrease. Until then, the hypocrisy is front and center (but this should come as no surprise).
Old 08-02-2021, 06:35 AM   #466
Lakegeezer

Default Please keep political narratives out of this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I have more faith in the US Postal Service than the CDC to provide better information about Corona. CDC are the epitome of incompetence. In addition, when the “Administration” stops letting thousands of sick and unvaccinated illegal aliens into this country, then maybe “vaccinate hesitancy” may decrease. Until then, the hypocrisy is front and center (but this should come as no surprise).
There is a lot of political issues with this parroted faux narrative but from a lakes region point of view, it is unlikely that the flood of people sneaking across the Canadian border are sick and unvaccinated. For the majority that aren't, they can easily get vaccinated, documented or not, helping to protect themselves and the recalcitrant. The potential of undocumented immigrants with Covid isn't a high risk to the protected anyway, so what's the big deal?
VitaBene (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 07:07 AM   #467
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
There is a lot of political issues with this parroted faux narrative but from a lakes region point of view, it is unlikely that the flood of people sneaking across the Canadian border are sick and unvaccinated. For the majority that aren't, they can easily get vaccinated, documented or not, helping to protect themselves and the recalcitrant. The potential of undocumented immigrants with Covid isn't a high risk to the protected anyway, so what's the big deal?
Faux narrative? https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/gove...ve-order-ga-37
Old 08-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #468
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
You would think that more people would want to get vaccinated to protect themselves from all these unvaccinated illegal aliens you say are coming into the country?
Maybe if we named the vaccines "The Trump Vaccines" it would reduce "vaccinate hesitancy"?
Old 08-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #469
SailinAway

Quote:

ApS:

Pretty sure he only showed up at the National Guard site because he heard Madonna was going to be there.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:04 AM   #470
FlyingScot

Quote:
Facts as we know them:
More "Facts as we know them":

A person's expected health and life expectancy, and that of their loved ones, are much better if you get a shot.

ApS posts on the vaccine are full of misdirection, misinformation, and outright falsehoods
Old 08-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #471
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
You would think that more people would want to get vaccinated to protect themselves from all these unvaccinated illegal aliens you say are coming into the country?
Maybe if we named the vaccines "The Trump Vaccines" it would reduce "vaccinate hesitancy"?
Makes no sense. They were the "Trump Vaccines" to begin with, so anyone that wanted one had ample opportunity to receive one when Trump was in office. I'm not the one saying that unvaccinated illegals are coming into the country. On the contrary, it's the State of Texas that's saying it as per the official letter that they sent to the Attorney General of the United States. My point is that, on the one hand, there is a major push on American citizens to get this vaccine, but there is little to no push on illegal aliens to get the vaccine. Just shining a light on the hypocrisy. If it were really such a problem, then one would think that masks, testing and vaccines would be mandatory for the thousands that are migrating across the southern border.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Sue Doe-Nym (08-02-2021), TiltonBB (08-05-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 09:53 AM   #472
FlyingScot

Quote:
Makes no sense. They were the "Trump Vaccines" to begin with, so anyone that wanted one had ample opportunity to receive one when Trump was in office. I'm not the one saying that unvaccinated illegals are coming into the country. On the contrary, it's the State of Texas that's saying it as per the official letter that they sent to the Attorney General of the United States. My point is that, on the one hand, there is a major push on American citizens to get this vaccine, but there is little to no push on illegal aliens to get the vaccine. Just shining a light on the hypocrisy. If it were really such a problem, then one would think that masks, testing and vaccines would be mandatory for the thousands that are migrating across the southern border.
It's amazing the way you inject politics and completely ignore/change history.

The vaccines were not available to most adults until March or April of 2021. (Trump was gone by then--remember?)

Biden and Co have been doing everything they can to get them into anyone who will take one. This is in the face of a huge number of Republicans doing things which will slow acceptance (Open any news source you'd like.)
Old 08-02-2021, 09:57 AM   #473
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:

The vaccines were not available to most adults until March or April of 2021. (Trump was gone by then--remember?)

Biden and Co have been doing everything they can to get them into anyone who will take one. This is in the face of a huge number of Republicans doing things which will slow acceptance (Open any news source you'd like.)
Who is injecting politics? That's an invalid accusation. And you make a good point when you say "....get them into anyone that will take one." Let's keep it that way, and knock it off with the trial balloons about mandatory vaccines for those that don't want it - no matter what the reason.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #474
Biggd

Quote:
One has nothing to do with the other. That's just political posturing.
If all US citizens get vaccinated we don't have to worry about catching it from unvaccinated illegals.
There's a far greater number of unvaccinated Americans than illegals crossing the boarder. It's like "what comes first, the chicken or the egg"?

Last edited by Biggd; 08-02-2021 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #475
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
One has nothing to do with the other. That's just political posturing.
Uh, ok....if you say so.....
Old 08-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #476
FlyingScot

Quote:
Who is injecting politics? That's an invalid accusation. And you make a good point when you say "....get them into anyone that will take one." Let's keep it that way, and knock it off with the trial balloons about mandatory vaccines for those that don't want it - no matter what the reason.
When you write, "Trump Vaccine"..."Texas"..."illegal aliens"--all with no real relevance to the issue at hand--and then criticize Biden policies, then you are injecting politics.

I'm surprised that you cannot see that. Maybe it's too much exposure to some very cynical politicians who seem to be making a brand out of vaccine resistance?
Old 08-02-2021, 01:59 PM   #477
trfour

Exclamation August 2021 Covid-19 Warning

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/fauc...ry?id=79192069

Old 08-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #478
Biggd

Quote:
When you write, "Trump Vaccine"..."Texas"..."illegal aliens"--all with no real relevance to the issue at hand--and then criticize Biden policies, then you are injecting politics.

I'm surprised that you cannot see that. Maybe it's too much exposure to some very cynical politicians who seem to be making a brand out of vaccine resistance?
To be fair I mentioned "The Trump Vaccines" first in the hope that if we named them after him then maybe all his followers would get the vaccine.
I would give him ALL the credit if he would convince everyone that listens to him to get vaccinated.
I don't really care who gets credit as long as we put an end to this!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (08-02-2021), Newbiesaukee (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 04:50 PM   #479
TKD

Quote:
To be fair I mentioned "The Trump Vaccines" first in the hope that if we named them after him then maybe all his followers would get the vaccine.
I would give him ALL the credit if he would convince everyone that listens to him to get vaccinated.
I don't really care who gets credit as long as we put an end to this!
By end to this, I hope you mean this impossibly long thread

Old 08-02-2021, 04:57 PM   #480
Newbiesaukee

As I understand it, no one is compelled to read this “impossibly long thread.”

The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (08-03-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #481
gillygirl

Quote:
Actually, research on SARS and MERS have been going on for nearly two decades, so it’s not really Trump vaccines. Basic knowledge was already well understood.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:27 PM   #482
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKD View Post
By end to this, I hope you mean this impossibly long thread

No, I meant this horrible virus.
It's a shame that this virus has become so political that we can't eradicate it even though we have the vaccines to do so.
I'm sure if Trump won a second term it would be the democrats that would be the ones refusing to get vaccinate.
The left don't trust the right and right don't trust the left but the answer is always within reach somewhere in the middle.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:33 PM   #483
ApS

Cool A 3rd Jab Will Do Ya...

Quote:
More "Facts as we know them":

A person's expected health and life expectancy, and that of their loved ones, are much better if you get a shot.

ApS posts on the vaccine are full of misdirection, misinformation, and outright falsehoods
From that Mountain of Truth known as HuffPost (which hasn't been deplatformed by Google):

Quote:
"Israel has rolled out its third dose of Pfizer's COVID vaccine for people over the age of 60. Dozens of people got dose number three in Tel Aviv on Sunday. Each person who got the booster shot had their second Pfizer shot at least five months ago. The plan to administer a third vaccine dose was announced last week. A panel of pandemic experts suggested a third shot was needed because the vaccine's effectiveness has appeared to wane as the delta variant spreads across the world."
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/israe...b0048f361d7a07
Old 08-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #484
John Mercier

We know that older people, in general, have weaker immune systems.
They protect coverage would fail sooner than others, and unlike the US, Israel does not want to wait for the hospitalizations and deaths to occur.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:56 PM   #485
John Mercier

Quote:
No, I meant this horrible virus.
It's a shame that this virus has become so political that we can't eradicate it even though we have the vaccines to do so.
I'm sure if Trump won a second term it would be the democrats that would be the ones refusing to get vaccinate.
The left don't trust the right and right don't trust the left but the answer is always within reach somewhere in the middle.
We don't technically have the means to eradicate it.
Since after vaccination, I can still harbor and transmit the virus... it isn't eradicated... just made less harmful to me because of my vaccine.

Over time, it will just separate out the various factions of our society.
Very natural, just not always life and death.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:22 AM   #486
TKD

Quote:
As I understand it, no one is compelled to read this “impossibly long thread.”
Nor is anyone compelled to post over 1200 times. #letitgo

Old 08-03-2021, 04:36 AM   #487
thinkxingu

I was in Lowe's in Gilford yesterday when the associates all got a corporate memo that "masks were back." School systems are now moving towards masking again in fall. Many people are making in grocery stores, restaurants, etc. again. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty confident we could've been done with all this if people. Had. Just. Gotten. Vaccinated. Search: "regret for not getting vaccinated."

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-03-2021), FlyingScot (08-03-2021), gillygirl (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:06 AM   #488
Newbiesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKD View Post
Nor is anyone compelled to post over 1200 times. #letitgo

I can almost always “let things go,” but my 1200 posts have been over 17 years. My best posts are the ones I have deleted after writing them and I may do that with this one.

I really appreciate your concern for my mental health.

And welcome to the Forum.

Old 08-03-2021, 06:36 AM   #489
thinkxingu

Quote:
I can almost always “let things go,” but my 1200 posts have been over 17 years. My best posts are the ones I have deleted after writing them and I may do that with this one.

I really appreciate your concern for my mental health.

And welcome to the Forum.
Please don't. As I messaged you some months back, you've always been an awesome contributor—level, thoughtful, candid, and honest.

If anyone should take flack about post count, it's me. Bring it on TKD!

Last edited by thinkxingu; 08-03-2021 at 07:09 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #490
ApS

Question Poisoning The Wells...?

Quote:

Reutters is a news source I like!

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN25X01L
Old 08-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #491
gillygirl

Default Vaccinations

Quote:
On this we can agree, if you’re serious. Least biased and highly factual content.

Old 08-03-2021, 07:30 AM   #492
FlyingScot

Quote:
I don't think that's quite fair. The Democrats are not perfect and do not have a monopoly on the truth, but they have been the most aggressive about anti-covid measures the entire time--social distancing, masks, various shut downs, etc. Republicans have often resisted all of these things, including in this forum.

We can debate which side is right, but let's not use one side's actions to paint the other
Old 08-03-2021, 08:01 AM   #493
John Mercier

Considering neither side actually developed the vaccines... I really don't think it matters.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #494
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:

Actually, vaccines were rolled out and available in December 2020. Trump was still president.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:26 AM   #495
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
I was in Lowe's in Gilford yesterday when the associates all got a corporate memo that "masks were back." School systems are now moving towards masking again in fall. Many people are making in grocery stores, restaurants, etc. again. I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty confident we could've been done with all this if people. Had. Just. Gotten. Vaccinated. Search: "regret for not getting vaccinated."

There’s only one thing I have to say about the vaccines:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=97du1N7Znb0
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #496
SailinAway

Quote:
I have more faith in the US Postal Service than the CDC to provide better information about Corona. CDC are the epitome of incompetence. In addition, when the “Administration” stops letting thousands of sick and unvaccinated illegal aliens into this country, then maybe “vaccinate hesitancy” may decrease.
Trump's policy on limiting migration is still in place and the CDC agrees with you. From today's New York Times:

"With the number of migrants crossing the southern border surging and the pandemic proving to be far from over, the Biden administration has decided to leave in place for now the public health rule that has allowed it to turn away hundreds of thousands of migrants, officials said.

"The decision, confirmed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Monday, amounted to a shift by the administration, which had been working on plans to begin lifting the rule this summer, more than a year after it was imposed by the Trump administration. The C.D.C. said allowing noncitizens to come over the border from either Mexico or Canada “creates a serious danger” of further spread of the coronavirus."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-04-2021), Seaplane Pilot (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 09:53 AM   #497
SailinAway

Default The science of human behavior

Quote:
I'm pretty confident we could've been done with all this if people. Had. Just. Gotten. Vaccinated."
To create a pandemic you need (1) a virus and (2) specific human behaviors to spread it. To end a pandemic you need all of the following:
  1. Scientific knowledge
  2. A vaccine
  3. Management of human behaviors

Fortunately, management of human behaviors is a science. We have a fairly good understanding of why people do what they do and some knowledge of how to manage behaviors. Unfortunately there are some forces working against that at present. The first is lack of experience managing very large populations to get people to adopt life-saving behaviors. One's stance on vaccinations has very deep-seated roots in personal values, identity, political and social beliefs, and one's environment Those things only change very slowly over time, if ever. It can take a lifetime for a thoughtful person to develop a mature system of values and behaviors, beginning with the adolescent's typically self-centered thinking. What portion of the population is actually "thoughtful," meaning willing to modify self-centered attitudes and behaviors for the survival of society and the human species? I believe it's less than half, which predicts catastrophe in a pandemic or other crisis.

613,000 deaths in the U.S. is a catastrophe. It's 204 times the number of people who died on 9/11, which we previously thought was a catastrophe. How did we get to this point, and why is the pandemic continuing? We have the scientific knowledge and the vaccines to beat COVID-19. What we do not have is effective strategies for managing human behavior on a very large national and global scale.

This is ominous, and it is mirrored in other developing crises that depend on changing human behavior, especially the climate crisis. The problem is simple: we (the world, the U.S.) have achieved a very high level of progress in science, technology, production and distribution of goods, medicine, etc. We have made far less progress with the things that are actually just as important as or even more important for our survival than the more tangible forms of progress. Material progress has vastly outpaced social progress, the ability to work together for our survival on a planetary scale.

After a slow start over a period of millennia, we made very rapid material progress in the last 150 years. The pace accelerated with each decade. There has been visible social progress since about World War II, but it is nowhere near enough to stop crises as big as a pandemic or the climate crisis. In a word, we remain a socially immature species and we may well be out of time for evolving quickly enough to save our species.

For a more optimistic view of our chances of survival, see Toby Ord's The Precipice: Existential Risk and the Future of Humanity. https://www.amazon.com/Precipice-Exi.../dp/0316484911

I don't share Ord's optimism because human behavior is rooted in very powerful instincts like preservation of the individual self that have persisted in the human brain, like prioritizing one's well-being today over one's survival 30 years from now (you would rather eat an unhealthy diet today than be alive 30 years from now), or the survival and welfare of our descendants 500 or 1000 years from now. You may be worried about your children and grandchildren's future, but have you thought about what life will be like for your 100G grandchildren if we don't fix the climate crisis? No, because you can't identify with your human race that far in the future. You feel disconnected from those future people, even though they will carry your genes, just as your children do.

Have you thought about what life will be like for your children if this pandemic goes on for 5 years or 10 years? The impact on their education and jobs? How an economic crisis will impact them? Right now we have no reason to believe that the pandemic will end this year (certainly not) or next year (probably not). Around the globe we are pouring billions of dollars into the pandemic, wildfires, floods, hurricanes, etc. At some point, we're going to run out of resources to fight against these catastrophes and they will overwhelm us. You can already see that the pandemic has overwhelmed the U.S. with all our resources, since 613,000 people have died and infections are increasing again (+142% in the last 14 days).

The question is simple: what can you do today to slow down these catastrophes? And one answer is simple: get vaccinated.

P.S. I am really not convinced that all the time spent by intelligent people in this forum has any usefulness at all for solving these problems. You/we/I should seek more productive venues for these discussions and avenues of concrete action. Posting here only provides more opportunities for falsehoods to be spread.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #498
John Mercier

The bigger spread is citizens... moving state to state, county to county, town to town.

If you look at the spread only on a map of NH, Belknap County stands out... and if you go anywhere in the county, you see plates from nearly several other States.

We are just a very mobile country.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:48 PM   #499
FlyingScot

Quote:
Actually, vaccines were rolled out and available in December 2020. Trump was still president.
The vaccines were rolled in December, but only to older people.

My post was correcting your original statement that "They were the "Trump Vaccines" to begin with, so anyone that wanted one had ample opportunity to receive one when Trump was in office."

It was not until April or so that "anyone that wanted one had ample opportunity"
JanN (08-05-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 05:44 PM   #500
SailinAway

Quote:
We are just a very mobile country.
We're a mobile world, which is why it's naive to think that a new wave propelled by Delta or the next variant won't make its way to New Hampshire. Who can forget the big red dot on the infection map that began in New York and expanded until it engulfed New Hampshire in 2020? Right now New Hampshire is one of the safest places in the US, but that's unlikely to continue unless the rate of vaccinations increases.